Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
So I actually started an Ironman run over a week ago, but I kinda got distracted by going on vacation for a week. So here's Garvok the Half-orc Cleric/Thief.

Garvok picked up Xzar and Monty just for safety's sake, and headed up to the Friendly Arm. Tarnesh was no problem.

Picked up the usual bunch of sidequests, and then off to Beregost. Picked up Neera, and luckily had no problems with her Red Wizard friends.

Also grabbed Kagain and his cheaty Con score while we were in town.

Easily the scariest moment for Garvok was pissing off Marl over at Feldepost's and getting nearly all of his blood punched out in one swing. The locals may not be smart, but they sure are strong.

After that, I wandered down to Nashkel, where I forgot to get any screenshots. I took care of the assassin in the inn without incident, despite a scary moment when he got off a hold spell. Also picked up the Ankheg plate for Kagain, which I never knew about until someone earlier in the thread pointed it out. Also, I picked up Edwin and ditched Xzar and Monty.

After that, I headed back north to High Hedge to purchase some spells for my shiny new wizard. Upon arrival, this happens...

The bear latched on to Neera, who kited it around while I managed to get Edwin to Color Spray Garvok. I then spent something like 5 minutes running in circles while Imoen slowly shot the bear to death, and Kagain broke his axe after his first swing. Still, the bear died and my guys were still alive.

I purchased a few necessary spells for Edwin (he somehow managed to fail scribing Magic Missile 3 times before I ran out of money....) and then headed back south. I'll probably explore some wilderness next to get some levels on these folks before tackling the mines. Probably pick up Viconia and Dorn, too.

So far, so good. My only entry last year literally died to wolves outside Candlekeep, so I've already set a new personal best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
Well, Cleric/Thieves are kind of a pain in the rear end all around. The Find Traps button is on your bottom bar, sure, but I can in fact confirm that your unlocking/disarming button is under special abilities. I'd gladly give up that quick spell slot for that, but hey, whatever.

Also, while Cleric weapons like morningstars, hammers, or maces don't get a backstab bonus, summoned weapons like Spiritual Hammer or Flameblade, apparently work with backstab just fine, so it's not all terrible. Swapping armor all the drat time is just something you have to live with, though.

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
After a couple of busy weeks put this on the backburner, Garvok the Cleric/Thief is back in action. Today, it's off to the Gnoll Stronghold.

But first, let's pick up this Dorn fella. He seems trustworthy.

This annoying xvart village is in the way, so I slaughter it without a scratch on my team. I also acquire a shiny new flail +1 from the cave here.

This encounter with 2 ogres and a bunch of hobgoblin archers should have been dicey by all rights, but thanks to Edwin's sleep spells, and Garvok's command, not one of these enemies died while awake.

Naturally, I was feeling pretty cocky at that point, so of course we decided to bother this ogre having a barbecue. He one-shot Kagain before we could make him take a nap. Oh well, a quick trip back to the Nashkel temple gets him sorted out.

I kill Gnarl and Hairtooth, and give Kagain those nice dexterity bracers, giving him nice respectable AC finally.

Kagain will definitely make a nice tank if I can keep rolling HP like this. Mostly we roll over the gnolls. Any group that looks vaguely threatening gets to take a nap, courtesy of Edwin "The Sandman" Odeisseron. I guess we can't really let sleeping dogs lie, right? Right?
Anyway, dogs die, Dynaheir gets chunked by Garvok in one swing, Edwin is happy.

One last thing to do in this area, grab that Charisma tome. I give it to Garvok because he is a greedy shitlord. It brings his Charisma up to a lofty 10.

Next stop will be to head north and grab Viconia before the mines. I really need the extra healing in the party, it seems. However, I can't really decide if I want to boot Imoen or Neera. The extra mage support is nice, but I can't help feeling that Neera is a ticking time bomb in an ironman run. There's not much that Imoen can do that Garvok can't besides be a lovely archer, and she's the only Good party member I've got right now.

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
Garvok the Cleric/Thief is back in action today, mostly clearing wilderness to get some xp before tackling the mines. I did pick up Viconia (which I forgot to screenshot) and dumped Neera. I did want the extra arcane caster, but I remembered all the times on my most recent playthrough where she was in the party that required a reload due to falling cow or summoned demon.

While clearing areas that'd I'd just zipped through before, I noticed this...

I mean, it's been 3 weeks. You'd think animals would have eaten him or something by now.

The belt ogre gets beaten to death in his sleep.

The spiders from that drat house get beaten to death in their sleep.

This vampiric wolf gets beaten to death in it's....actually, I couldnt' put the drat thing to sleep. It paralyzed Kagain, and we spent an embarassing amount of time healing the dwarf while the wolf smacked him and got health back. I probably did 3 times that wolf's HP in damage before it finally had a morale break and we chased it down and killed it. Didn't help that only Dorn and Garvok have magic weapons at this point. Still, it was a really nice chunk of XP that pushed Viconia and Kagain up to level 3.

The Amazing Oopah....gets beaten to death in his sleep. Did you guys know that Sleep and Command are good spells?

Zordral actually got to die awake! He didn't get a spell off, though.

Some more boring wilderness wandering later (imagine that anything remotely danger died peacefully in it's sleep), and everyone but Edwin is level 3, or level 2/2 in Garvok's case.

Time to do this thing.

Edit: Does anyone else have an issue with EE where battle music just will not stop until you switch maps? It's getting irritating, and I don't remember having this issue on my last playthrough.

kaiten80 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 11, 2015

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
Garvok the Cleric/Thief has conquered the Nashkel mines.

The mines aren't too bad when you remember where all the traps are. Nothing worth a screenshot, really. I did have another death here, though, trying to rest up before tackling Mulahey. Kobolds spawned directly behind my group and Edwin quickly ate 2 critical hits in one round. I decided to press on and tackle Mulahey without him. Command is as good as sleep in a pinch, and Mulahey didn't even get a spell off.

Got back to town, got Edwin raised and re-equipped, and forgot all about the Nimbul ambush. No big deal, Viconia hit him with Hold Person and then he got beat to death....by Rasaad. Thanks, buddy, I didn't need those XP anyway.

Now for a ton of wilderness stuff before tackling the bandit camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't wish to sound patronising, kaiten80, but I read it that you kept trying to use Sleep on the vampiric wolf and it wouldn't work. He's considered undead, and sleep never works on any kind of undead, regrettably.

If I read that wrong my apologies.

Nah, I know. I was trying to make a joke about my pattern of "Cast Sleep, win fight" for the early game here, but re-reading it's not funny, and does make it sound like I was trying to Sleep the wolf.

I didn't bother screen-shotting stuff because I started to think this thread was dead, but the only thing notable I've done with Garvok the Cleric/Thief is clear wilderness zones for XP. I cleared Ulcaster, and I've gotten Edwin killed a couple more times, but nothing interesting to report.

kaiten80 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 1, 2015

• Locked thread