Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sometimes I read the SNL thread before getting to see the episode to kind of set expectations. I have no real idea what to expect. Doesn't sound like anyone really cared for any of the sketches at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The only great things from that episode involved Kate McKinnon

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

lelandjs posted:

Galavant parody or SNL demonstrating what a medieval musical should be about?
Nope - Dragon Age Inquisition parody. There's a scene in the game where your party members launch into a spontaneous musical number after fleeing their home base when the Big Boss and his dragon attack it. Not even kidding - although they at least wait until they make it to a hidden camp in the mountains before they do it.

That explains the "Maker watch over us" line.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sometimes I read the SNL thread before getting to see the episode to kind of set expectations. I have no real idea what to expect. Doesn't sound like anyone really cared for any of the sketches at least.

Actually one of the stronger eps of the season imo, don't know why everyone's scrambling over each other to make jokes about how wacky Sia is. Bushwick and the James Brown sketch in particular were amazing but all of it was funny, though I thought WU was pretty weak compared to the rest of the sketches (though as usual McKinnon did incredible work, both on WU and basically everywhere as usual). Hart did a loving great job, especially ad-libbing when the technical crew couldn't get their poo poo together for the Instagram sketch. Best monologue since Louis CK if you ask me.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

AnimeJune posted:

Nope - Dragon Age Inquisition parody. There's a scene in the game where your party members launch into a spontaneous musical number after fleeing their home base when the Big Boss and his dragon attack it. Not even kidding - although they at least wait until they make it to a hidden camp in the mountains before they do it.

That explains the "Maker watch over us" line.

Wait, what?

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Voila. I'm pretty sure they're spoofing this.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I thought that moment worked, honestly. :shrug:

They did it after they had just lost a ton of people, so they sang to lift their spirits.

I still buy it as at least an oblique DA reference, though.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Mo0 posted:

I thought that moment worked, honestly. :shrug:

They did it after they had just lost a ton of people, so they sang to lift their spirits.

I still buy it as at least an oblique DA reference, though.
Oh, I agree. It's corny as hell but I love it because DAI is pretty much a swashbuckling SAVE THE WORLD type of deal. The version on the soundtrack is kind of milquetoast though.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

CannedMacabre posted:

In all honesty, I ASSUME that she is trying to pull a Lady Gaga/David Bowie-Nomi thing and is just not up to the task.

Never forget:

The entire time I was hoping that the clown would sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ilBHkH9Io
SING CLOWN, SING.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Now that I can understand the lyrics I like that song even better than I already did :stare:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unsurprisingly, Hulu has the dress rehearsal version of the Why'd You Post That? sketch. The tech problems really killed that one in it's tracks, poor Vanessa was like a deer in the headlights when she realised nobody was going to have a clue what she was about to say.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Unsurprisingly, Hulu has the dress rehearsal version of the Why'd You Post That? sketch. The tech problems really killed that one in it's tracks, poor Vanessa was like a deer in the headlights when she realised nobody was going to have a clue what she was about to say.

I think they might've done that for the West Coast feed, too - the version I saw didn't have a tech problem.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
January 31: JK Simmons and D'Angelo.

Simmons is awesome and up for anything. This will be great.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Doctor Candiru posted:

January 31: JK Simmons and D'Angelo.

Whoa.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't think Kevin Hart is at all funny but Kate McKinnon killed it all episode long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I thought he nailed it last time with the Z-shirt and 360 news sketch (look them up lazy-asses), but I didn't even chuckle at Saturday's episode. Worst of the season by far.

The writing team needs to get fired or something. They keep writing concepts that go nowhere instead of actual skits. I can honestly say that since I've been watching (1990ish) I think this may be the worst complete season so far. No real highs, but a lot of lows. Seriously I don't think there has been one single skit that will go on to be remembered as a classic. I felt like Captain Holt (B99) watching the last episode. Either they just aren't funny this season or I've officially gone OLD MAN... dun dun duuuuuuun!

Kids today...

• Locked thread