Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Because you watched it already, get it?
:siren: WEEK FOUR STARS HERE :siren:
:siren: WEEK TWO STARTS HERE :siren:

(Despite my joking regarding the thread title, this is meant to be a newbie friendly thread so for your convience everything is written from the perspective of 2013 and all attempts have been made to explain characters, etc)

New Japan on AXS TV is a one hour wrestling show re-broadcasting highlights of previous New Japan shows re-dubbed with English commentary. It's an attempt to get Wrestling fans to watch OneFC and MMA fans to watch pro-wrestling.

It has been called by noted person who does not ever over-rate anything from Japan Dave "The Myth" Meltzer "The best one hour wrestling show on TV". And By Bryan 'doesn't write a newsletter' Alvarez "The best wrestling show I've seen, but full disclosure I just watched Raw before hand."

Commentary is being done by Marau Ranallo, an expert at re-dubbing Japanese things into English long after they have aired.

And Josh Barnett, ex New Japan wrestler and current UFC fighter.

CAST

Current Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi
Gimmick: Air Guitars / Super Babyface.

Finisher: High-fly Flow (Frog Splash)

The current champion, babyface par excellence. One of the best wrestlers in the world. Won the title off Okada middle of last year. He's almost beyond description. If anyone is going to help turn New Japan around, he's the guy. He is probably, the top wrestler in the world.

Kazuchi Okada
Gimmick: "Makes it rain money" / Million Dollar Man

Finisher: Rainmaker (Short arm clothesline)

Was kicking about TNA and did absolutely nothing because LOL VINCE RUSSO. Came back to New Japan last year and challenged Tanahashi on the mic. It loving bombed like crazy. He eventually faced Tanahashi in a match and everybody on these forums cried "WHAT THE gently caress NEW JAPAN THIS IS BULLSHIT?". Promptly he had some matches as champion and we all jumped right aboard the loving Okada train. Choo choo motherfuckers. He just recently lost the title back to Tanahashi and we all cried "WHAT THE gently caress NEW JAPAN, THIS IS BULLSHIT". Probably in the top five in the world, easy number two behind Tanahashi in New Japan.

Spoilers: Probably 75% of you know how this ends. I know how it ends. But maybe someone doesn't so let's pretend? So don't talk about what happens later, how matches finish, etc etc. Only exception is "Oh, after this those two had a match which is great and you should watch" if said match isn't actually broadcast.

Week 1: Tanahashi (c) v Okada - Wrestlekingdom 7 from the Tokyo Dome.

Tanahashi won the title back off Okada late last year. Now they're finally re-matching on the biggest stage in Japanese wrestling. Who has what it takes to walk away IWGP Heavyweight champion?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
poo poo, I actually DO get AXS tv. I might be able to follow this! Yaay!

edit: any idea when they'll rerun ep 1?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Okay Mauro seamlessly made references to how the IWGP title was formed, Vader, and Los Misioneros de la Muerte. Really impressed by his commentary so far.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ranallo does a good job of Americanizing how hyped the Japanese commentators get.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
I liked that they both brought up a lot of history and names that both people who follow pro wrestling would know and people who don't would know. Helps make things a little more accessible.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think I'll give this thread until Wednesday or so and then I'll write up a preview for the next show.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I looked at the list of what every show is going to be and I'm hyped for nearly every single episode. I haven't watched any NJPW beyond Wrestle Kingdom 9 due to the lack of English commentary, so I'm really excited to see a lot of this stuff I've heard about.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow this show is really good so far. Their commentary is really great.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
This show was great. I'm really hype for the Naito/Ishii episode.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

Wow this show is really good so far. Their commentary is really great.

i heard it absolutely doesn't sound like commentary that was recorded in a booth a year-plus after the fact and thats really impressive

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

i heard it absolutely doesn't sound like commentary that was recorded in a booth a year-plus after the fact and thats really impressive

This is very true. It seems like they're both watching these matches for the first time with no idea how they're going to turn out, and seems supernatural. But this is kind of weird in some ways, because they keep saying "tonight" and such for an event that happened 2 years ago and is being presented in the context of a "best of" show.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Cardboard Box posted:

it definitely sounds like it was recorded in a booth. they do a good job of acting like they're calling it in the moment though yeah.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Barnett has said in some interviews that he hadn't seen the matches prior to calling them

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I hope AXS or New Japan decide to put these online somewhere because it sure does not look like Time Warner is going to add AXS any time soon. They should give NJPW World subscribers some exemption to watch them or something. But I'm not holding my breath :(

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
If your cable provider offers an online on demand option, check it out. Comcast offers New Japan on AXS to me, even though I don't have the channel: http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Japan-Pro-Wrestling/8008079673088304112/full-episodes#episode=8008079673088304112

Going to watch it later today.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Any way for us dirty Europeans to watch this/see this first episode?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

time warner sucks.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I hadn't seen this before, since this is on AXS this is what could have been from the commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSDZCdp3wLQ

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A double episode this week as we see some new faces in the first episode, and then we have a completely new Okada v Tanahashi main event for the second episode of the week.

WEEK TWO: Episode 2

Match 1: Kazuchi Okada v Hirooki Goto in the finals of the 2013 New Japan Cup

The New Japan Cup is a single elimination tournament (It's like, King of the Ring back when winning it meant a push after), it's not very prestigious compared to the G-1 Climax, but Japan has traditionally booked where winners of such events usually get a push to build off the momentum. Can Okada rebound from his loss to Tanahashi, or will the currently hot Goto keep his momentum up and step forward and claim his fourth New Japan Cup win?

Okada beat Lance Archer, Karl Anderson, and Toru Yano, whilst Goto beat Tama Tonga, Ishii, and Davey Boy Smith Jr to reach the finals.

Note, Okada had debuted a new finishing hold called "Red Ink" which is an STF variant, so keep an eye out for that.

NEW PLAYERS

Hirooki Goto
Gimmick: Badass Samauri

Finisher: Shouten Kai - Vertical suplex sitout side slam, which looks a bit like a jackhammer I guess but with the sit out part.

Goto is the epitome of modern day New Japan. He's charismatic, a goon favorite (I haven't checked old threads, but I think he was at the time), and can work. But he's just not one of the top five wrestlers in the world, which hampers his upward mobility somewhat. Regardless, he's got talent, can get over, and often will get pushes because of it. Think of him as a solid upper-midcard guy. G1 Climax winner, 3 time New Japan Cup winner.

Match 2: Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii & Jado vs. Minoru Suzuki & Lance Archer and Taka Michinoku.

I'm pretty sure this is just a throw away match with some guys in it from the same show, so let's look at all our new players:

NEW PLAYERS

Shinsuke Nakamura:
Gimmick: Super flamboyent Freddie Mercury like wrestler

Finisher: Boma Ye (Bomb-A-Ye) - Knee strike

Nakamura is number 3 in New Japan. Probably the most charismatic in New Japan and up there in the world. He gets his share of lady fans because of his tight leather pants and and eccentric mannerisms. He was a previous IWGP champion but has been locked out since the new revival with Tanahashi and Okada.

Minoru Suzuki:
Gimmick: Legit MMA fighter
Head of the "Suzuki-Gun" stable, (Suzuki's Army)

Finisher: Sleeper Hold, or a Cradle Piledriver

Minoru is one of the top workers in the world. His gimmick is just be a no nonsense MMA fighter who tries to make his stuff look "realer" than everyone elses so he stands out. He is head of one of the two main factions in NJPW, Suzuki gun. Suzuki-Gun is Suzuki + a bunch of jobbers. Suzuki is unique because his work style is pretty much trying to make it look like he's uncooperative in the ring, where as apparently he's a dream to work with.

Tomohiro Ishii
Gimmick: Bad rear end "Big" Guy

Another great worker, and another fan favorite.

Jado
Gimmick: Assists his best friend Gedo as booking this show.

Low card guy

Taka Michinoku
Suzuki-Gun Member
Gimmick: "gently caress you I'm Taka Michinoku"

Low card guy

Lance Archer
Suzuki-Gun Member
Gimmick: Heel American

Mid card foreigner heel. I should note that between last show and this show there was a PPV and he had an amazing match with Tanahashi for the title.

El Generico posted:

This is Vance Archer from WWECW and his tag team The Gatecrashers with Curt Hawkins. Previous to that, he was called Dallas in TNA and was tag champs with Kid Kash twice, and then he switched to his real name, Lance Hoyt, and eventually became one of the Rock 'n Rave Infection, who came down to the ring with Guitar Hero controllers.

WEEK TWO: Episode 3

Invasion Attack 2013: Okada v Tanahashi (c) for the IWGP Heavyweight Title.

Okada and Tahanhashi match, again, but this time at Sumo Hall in Tokyo. Okada failed on the biggest stage to reclaim his belt, but can he do it here infront of a tad under 10,000 fans at the historic Sumo Hall instead? This match was the observer match of the year and this show has been called the greatest one hour wrestling show in the history of mankind, or something. I dunno, should be good :shrug: :wink:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 24, 2015

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

LordPants posted:

Tomohiro Ishii
Gimmick: Bad rear end "Big" Guy

Another great worker, and another fan favorite.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
TAKA "superbigdick uwahahahahaaaa" Michinoku

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I get AXS on my DirecTV and this show is noiiice.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also, another note for Lance Archer:

He throws the best chokeslam in wrestling.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I watched WK9 and loved it!

I downloaded this first episode but i'm a bit confused, it's in the Tokyo dome with Okada and guitar man again? (ala WK9?)

I've never seen NJPW or know anything about it. So this show isn't NJPW's 'weekly show' with american announcers? But best of highlights with dubbed audio [see above posts]

Does NJPW even have weekly shows, or is it like old school WWF with 4-5 big events a year?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

simosimo posted:

I watched WK9 and loved it!

I downloaded this first episode but i'm a bit confused, it's in the Tokyo dome with Okada and guitar man again? (ala WK9?)

I've never seen NJPW or know anything about it. So this show isn't NJPW's 'weekly show' with american announcers? But best of highlights with dubbed audio [see above posts]

Does NJPW even have weekly shows, or is it like old school WWF with 4-5 big events a year?

Yes, that's right. They're like Rock and Austin (for arguments sake), so at the Wrestlemania show they're more than likely to face off because they're the two biggest stars.

This is a an assortment of shows with american announcers designed to "Catch you up" with the biggest matches and angles from the last two years. They're racing through trying to get you familiar with people and the idea is eventually it'll be up to date.

They don't have a TV show, they run IPPVs on their version of the WWE network. There is normally 1-2 "big" PPV shows a month with the big title matches and where the angles are done, and then smaller house shows where they just do their tag matches and stuff like that.

edit: let me clarify, they do "tours" where they'll do a tour every month with a hand full of shows in a short period of time, one or two of those shows will be the big show with the title match.

There are special events they do (like the G1 Climax which is a month long tournament and is super important) but we'll get to that.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
So how do they build feuds and stuff without weekly/regular TV style shows (again, quoting western wrestling sorry)

I saw some clips of that dude bashing Nakamura and him doing that brilliant confused face. Stuff like that isn't from a tv show? It's all done on the big non-weekly shows?

Long short if it is, if I want to get upto scratch, just watch these episodes? :)

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

LordPants posted:

Because you watched it already, get it?
oh poo poo... oh poo poo... they're not going to take me seriously here if i don't know what's going on poo poo poo poo poo poo

LordPants posted:

(Despite my joking regarding the thread title, this is meant to be a newbie friendly thread so for your convience everything is written from the perspective of 2013 and all attempts have been made to explain characters, etc)
whew... :sweatdrop: man you got me good op

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dexters Secret posted:

oh poo poo... oh poo poo... they're not going to take me seriously here if i don't know what's going on poo poo poo poo poo poo

whew... :sweatdrop: man you got me good op

As soon as I posted the thread they were like "uhhh, you shouldn't tell people they should have already seen it" and I was like, oh yeah. :ughh: My apologies.

simosimo posted:

So how do they build feuds and stuff without weekly/regular TV style shows (again, quoting western wrestling sorry)

I saw some clips of that dude bashing Nakamura and him doing that brilliant confused face. Stuff like that isn't from a tv show? It's all done on the big non-weekly shows?

Long short if it is, if I want to get upto scratch, just watch these episodes? :)

Basically they're done with angles post match on the big shows. Normally a call out, or a run in after the match. The feuds tend to be over titles and the like, and are often fairly simple in nature but they're still really effective, if that makes sense? They do occasionally do more complicated feuds that rely on a knowledge of MMA and Wrestling history, but I don't think they're being shown, and if they are i'm sure they'll all be explained.
edit: They also do press conferences where they'll talk about the matches and set up stuff like "oh I bet this guy can't kick out of my (super move) I'm going to punish his (injured body part) and stuff like that.

It sounds really simple but when you see how well it is executed it is amazing.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

LordPants posted:

As soon as I posted the thread they were like "uhhh, you shouldn't tell people they should have already seen it" and I was like, oh yeah. :ughh: My apologies.

Basically they're done with angles post match on the big shows. Normally a call out, or a run in after the match. The feuds tend to be over titles and the like, and are often fairly simple in nature but they're still really effective, if that makes sense? They do occasionally do more complicated feuds that rely on a knowledge of MMA and Wrestling history, but I don't think they're being shown, and if they are i'm sure they'll all be explained.
edit: They also do press conferences where they'll talk about the matches and set up stuff like "oh I bet this guy can't kick out of my (super move) I'm going to punish his (injured body part) and stuff like that.

It sounds really simple but when you see how well it is executed it is amazing.

Sometimes they use Japanese sports newspapers or the weekly magazine "Shuukan Puroresu" for setting up feuds. A wrestler might call someone out or criticize them in an interview and the feud starts from that.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

simosimo posted:

usually someone will call someone out or challenge someone at a big show, or winning a match on the undercard puts them in position to challenge for a title. then the card for the next big show is announced at a press conference a day or two after the last one.

it's not like WWE where they scramble around to think up a PPV card and leave it til the last week to have matches set up in storyline or whatever. they announce cards long in advance then key guys in the top matches wrestle each other in tags and build the matches up that way.

okada challenged tanahashi in last week's episode because he won a round-robin tournament in august 2012 called the G1 Climax. he won it again in 2014 which is why they faced off again at WK9.

e: what they said

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

LordPants posted:

im just loving with you dude

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

acai moonsault posted:

usually someone will call someone out or challenge someone at a big show, or winning a match on the undercard puts them in position to challenge for a title. then the card for the next big show is announced at a press conference a day or two after the last one.

it's not like WWE where they scramble around to think up a PPV card and leave it til the last week to have matches set up in storyline or whatever. they announce cards long in advance then key guys in the top matches wrestle each other in tags and build the matches up that way.

okada challenged tanahashi in last week's episode because he won a round-robin tournament in august 2012 called the G1 Climax. he won it again in 2014 which is why they faced off again at WK9.

e: what they said

Yeah, there was talk that this years card for the Wrestlekingdom show was pretty much sorted by the G1 climax (like, six months prior). They have a goal in mind and they book towards it. What that means is that you can get invested because they're not going to pull the rug out from under you.

Dexters Secret posted:

im just loving with you dude

:henget:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone found a way to watch this online? I want to see it so bad but I have Time Warner.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd watch these guys in Motion Daily.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

This is Vance Archer from WWECW and his tag team The Gatecrashers with Curt Hawkins. Previous to that, he was called Dallas in TNA and was tag champs with Kid Kash twice, and then he switched to his real name, Lance Hoyt, and eventually became one of the Rock 'n Rave Infection, who came down to the ring with Guitar Hero controllers.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

2 back to back episodes in 1 hr 15. if you feel compelled to for some reason AXS has Michael Schiavello interviewing Hulk Hogan the hour before

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

acai moonsault posted:

2 back to back episodes in 1 hr 15. if you feel compelled to for some reason AXS has Michael Schiavello interviewing Hulk Hogan the hour before

Are they both new episodes?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

ya, there's no MMA/kickboxing this week so they're running 2 eps

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

Are they both new episodes?

Okada v Goto New Japan Cup Finals
+ six man from the same show.

then

Okada v Tanahashi for the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LordPants posted:

Okada v Goto New Japan Cup Finals
+ six man from the same show.

then

Okada v Tanahashi for the title.

Okada v Tanahashi was last weeks, right?

• Locked thread