Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

TheJoker138 posted:

Okada v Tanahashi was last weeks, right?

Okada v Tanahashi 3 at Wrestle Kingdom 7 was last week, Okada v Tanahashi 4 at Invasion Attack 2013 is also this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Okada v Tanahashi 3 at Wrestle Kingdom 7 was last week, Okada v Tanahashi 4 at Invasion Attack 2013 is also this week

Oh, nice.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for pointing that out, I highlighted that this is a different match in the write-up.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Starting now I believe

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I really like Ranallo the more I listen to him.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

the non combat sports axs tv programming looks like poo poo and the ads make me want to die

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

acai moonsault posted:

the non combat sports axs tv programming looks like poo poo and the ads make me want to die

Its all sub vh1 "i love the 90s" poo poo and like the worst of the travel channel

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Ranallo is tripping poo poo! This is so awesome!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Yeah Ranallo was going absolutely bonkers near all the near falls it was so good. They even sub promos which is cool because I got to see Minoru Suzuki be a bad rear end.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

Has anyone found a way to watch this online? I want to see it so bad but I have Time Warner.

I must also know this very badly please and thanks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's the internet. There are always ways. That's all I'm gonna say.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm sitting here in a hotel for the Rumble and we stumbled upon this, I had no idea it existed haha. Killing time wonderfully

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

It's the internet. There are always ways. That's all I'm gonna say.

Yes but there are ways that are less circuitous than others by a large margin.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes but there are ways that are less circuitous than others by a large margin.

Do they have it on demand?

Follow up: Do you know someone who will have it on demand?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Just watched the most recent episode. Ridiculous fun.

Also the closed captioning dubbing "puroresu" as "poodle wrestle" loving slayed me.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I skipped the second episode but watched the third. Having the subtitles is so great. They sound a little stilted and unnatural in places (I doubt the budget allows for a top notch translator) but just having them is great. The Suzuki/Okada deal sure was meta and shooty and doesn't really make much sense in a kayfabe context. Ranallo continues to be great towards the climax of matches and still needs to calm the gently caress down for the first third, but it was less obnoxious than on the first episode.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I liked how they started to introduce new wrestlers and storylines in the second episode but wasn't all that impressed with their call of the Okada/Goto match.

But that third episode...my god, I was blown away. The commentary added a new dimension to one of my favorite matches of all time. Also loved Okada's thoughts on the match bookending the show. And of course the subtitles are a fun addition (though I kinda miss guessing what the hell these guys are talking about post-match).

Hopefully this show manages to catch on because It's a really great idea that's long overdue.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Did the winner of the New Japan Cup legitimately get 5,000,000 yen, or was that giant check just for show?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What do you think

Takuan
May 6, 2007

After finding out about the trophies given for winning and defending titles, I have no idea anymore.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

El Generico posted:

This is Vance Archer from WWECW and his tag team The Gatecrashers with Curt Hawkins. Previous to that, he was called Dallas in TNA and was tag champs with Kid Kash twice, and then he switched to his real name, Lance Hoyt, and eventually became one of the Rock 'n Rave Infection, who came down to the ring with Guitar Hero controllers.

It's funny how he's kind of a big deal in Japan these days because I remember watching him in TNA as Lance Hoyt and just thinking he was the shittiest lamest most generic hoss character who couldn't put on a match to save his life.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Being able to understand what Gedo is saying when he's hyping up Okada is the best thing ever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, now even I'm confused, is this week a replay of last week's show?

Hakkesshu posted:

It's funny how he's kind of a big deal in Japan these days because I remember watching him in TNA as Lance Hoyt and just thinking he was the shittiest lamest most generic hoss character who couldn't put on a match to save his life.

a lot of it I think is japanese guys really know how to bump and sell for big guys so they always make them look really good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LordPants posted:

Okay, now even I'm confused, is this week a replay of last week's show?

New episodes are on Friday.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:siren: Week Three :siren:

Is a special encore presentation of Match of the Year for 2013, Okada v Tanahashi for the title at invasion attack.

LordPants posted:

WEEK TWO: Episode 3

Invasion Attack 2013: Okada v Tanahashi (c) for the IWGP Heavyweight Title.

Okada and Tahanhashi match, again, but this time at Sumo Hall in Tokyo. Okada failed on the biggest stage to reclaim his belt, but can he do it here infront of a tad under 10,000 fans at the historic Sumo Hall instead? This match was the observer match of the year and this show has been called the greatest one hour wrestling show in the history of mankind, or something. I dunno, should be good :shrug: :wink:

tigerdriver82
Jun 15, 2009

Yo, you best
~Protect Your Neck~
Ah yeah, again and again!

NickRoweFillea posted:

I really like Ranallo the more I listen to him.

Having watched the first episode last night, this. At first I hated him but five to ten minutes in and I'm a fan. He brings an excitement into an already awesome match. I don't like how he keeps saying "en jay pee double you" though, it sounds weird to me since I've always just said New Japan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like them both, but wish they'd stop saying 'puroresu' (mostly Mauro) and babyface/heel (mainly Josh).

Josh did have a classic wrestling colour commentator moment on the second show, though.

"Ya know what they say in wrestling: If it ain't broke... pull harder!"

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Mauro needs to relax a bit for the entrances and the first few minutes of the match. Dude's loving incredible otherwise, and I usually don't like him as an MMA commentator.

tigerdriver82
Jun 15, 2009

Yo, you best
~Protect Your Neck~
Ah yeah, again and again!
I had never heard Mauro commentary before so I was a bit wary seeing as he was a MMA commentator, but yeah he grew on me as the match went on.

Gaz-L posted:

I like them both, but wish they'd stop saying 'puroresu' (mostly Mauro) and babyface/heel (mainly Josh).

Yeah, this annoyed me too.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

he's trying to catch up people who've never watched anything and it's hard to do in a couple minutes

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Another thing I noticed in ep 3 was Josh's dumb "flaming bomber" comment. Both guys realized it was lame, had a laugh, and moved on. If one of the Raw commentators said that, the others would've jumped on him like a pack of wolves.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

tigerdriver82 posted:

I had never heard Mauro commentary before so I was a bit wary seeing as he was a MMA commentator, but yeah he grew on me as the match went on.

Yeah, this annoyed me too.

Mauro's problem in MMA is that he feels the need to "carry" the broadcast, but is invariably the worst person on the commentary team to do so because despite being involved in the sport for over a decade he remains incredibly ignorant about most aspects of it. In boxing he's less annoying because he, I guess, is more cognizant of how little he knows so he shuts the gently caress up more, and he actually knows things about prowrestling so he's significantly less irritating when being bombastic about things.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I actually haven't seen that much Pride stuff, and the stuff I did was the kooky early pride with the ~*worked matches*~ and terrible terribleness so he kinda fit into that MST3K vibe they had for a while.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Another thing I noticed in ep 3 was Josh's dumb "flaming bomber" comment. Both guys realized it was lame, had a laugh, and moved on. If one of the Raw commentators said that, the others would've jumped on him like a pack of wolves.

a flaming bomber would have been a cool and appropriate sounding metaphor to use if he meant like a kamikaze pilot, but that would probably not be the best idea

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm watching Episode 3 right now and have a nine-foot erection.

My DVR just picked this up tonight (Friday), but obviously some of you watched the dubbed episode already. Friday is its normal night, right?

EDIT: This reminds me that I never did track down a gently caress YOU WE ARE JADO AND GEDO t-shirt.

delfin fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 31, 2015

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

delfin posted:

EDIT: This reminds me that I never did track down a gently caress YOU WE ARE JADO AND GEDO t-shirt.

I regret never getting the Okada "STRAIGHT ROLLING IN THE CASH" t-shirt.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:siren: New Japan on AXS week 4 :siren:

This week sees Okada v Togi Makabe and Tanahashi v Prince Devitt

New Players

Togi Makabe
Gimmick: A Japanese Bruiser Brody/JYD

Finisher: King Kong Knee Drop/King Kong Lariat

Makabe is a tough as nails brawler who mostly gets over due to his promo ability. He's another of the cavalcade of unique mid card talent that helps make New Japan what it is today.

Prince Devitt

Gimmick: Arrogant Irish Heel

Finisher: Bloody Sunday DDT (single underhook DDT)

Unquestionably, pound for pound, one of the best wrestlers in the world. Great worker, insanely charasmatic. However, in Japan he was a Junior Heavyweight. Yeah, they're given respect, their own titles their own tournaments, but Jr Heavyweights are never main event beating heavyweight kinda guys. So Devitt bulked up and the story was he was going to start challenging the Heavyweights and prove that he was on their level. As you all know he's now in the WWE NXT Developement system as "Finn Balor" or whatever and one of the amazing guys that WWE is doing their best to turn into "just another guy".

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Kind of surprised that the WWE hasn't contacted AXS over the use of Finn Balor's likeness.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

dsriggs posted:

Kind of surprised that the WWE hasn't contacted AXS over the use of Finn Balor's likeness.

He's being billed as Prince Devitt and it's footage NJPW owns and AXS has the rights to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Guys I had no idea this exists and I know what I am doing after the gym tonight. Literally have no excuse not to watch NJPW now.

• Locked thread