Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Good dubs!

Bad dubs!

Localizations!

Dubs by Sentai!

Dubs by 4Kids!

So bad it's good dubs!

Dubs Senerio personally recommends!

Anime dubbing is a sore spot for many anime fans. Some people refuse to watch a dubbed anime ever, while others believe that a good dub is worth watching. I personally enjoy dubs, but I figure this is a topic worth discussing. What are some dubs you feel are particularly entertaining, either for being legitimately good or so bad you can't help but laugh at it. I've put my own recommendations up there.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Please add Ghost Stories under "So Bad It's Good", tia.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ViggyNash posted:

Please add Ghost Stories under "So Bad It's Good", tia.

I wasn't sure which one to put it under, because I had arguments for Localization, So Bad it's Good, and Good. Went with Localizations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

When the outcome is better than the original, the result should be good and localized ghost story is far better than the original.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I guess it does fit as a localization, but the true charm of that dub is that it was written and acted for the sole purpose of being utterly and hilariously terrible.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Good dubs

Phenomenal dubs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z4s0mMD5xQ

Not really dubs?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wow the Panty and Stocking dub manages to be even more vulgar.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Senerio posted:

I wasn't sure which one to put it under, because I had arguments for Localization, So Bad it's Good, and Good. Went with Localizations.

it belongs under good

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
The dub of Duel Masters is worth watching because they turned it into a gag dub and it's amazing. Just constant shots at the shows premise by the writers

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dr Pepper posted:

I truly believe that the dub of Panty and Stocking was what Gainax was going for. But they were limited by the niceties and innuendos of their relatively clean moon language. That poo poo needed to be presented in a language as clever in its vulgarities as English. :getin:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Yugioh dubs are amazing please make sure you give them the proper respect they are due, tia.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I guess it does fit as a localization, but the true charm of that dub is that it was written and acted for the sole purpose of being utterly and hilariously terrible.

not actually, the dub was written and acted to be funny, which it is

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Panty and Stocking is actually incredible because when you watch the Japanese version it's funny but more in that "oh yeah this is how Japan sees western animation" kind of way.

But then they localized it into English and it became something really incredible.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Good Dub

So Bad It's Good Dubs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzXBcLK4MR0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

I also encourage everyone to watch the Baoh dub, it's really something else.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Good Dub

So Bad it's good Dub

God King Tier of Dubs

Man, I gotta get a hold of that Duel Masters dub again. It was goddamn fantastic.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Amazing Dub: Rau le Crueset

The rest of the show's dub (Gundam SEED) is decent, but Rau's dub is amazing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
SPACE LANCE

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Black Lagoon's dub is p. much just non-stop profanity and straight-to-video action movie cliches so in other words basically perfect

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Dan Green is arguably an improvement for YuGiOh, I just wish the English version wasn't so censored.

Haruhi Suzumiya I think had a good dub, and I found the super deformed version was funnier.

I wish Bakemonogatari would be dubbed, I feel like I'm still losing 30% of whats going on with subs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Shin-Chan's dub is absolutely the best dub ever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Panty and Stocking dub is incredible and the definitive version of the show.

One of my favorite dubs is the one for R.O.D. The TV. The characters come across as normal people instead of overdone caricatures, and the cast of voice actors had a lot of relatively unknown people, actual kids playing the kid characters, and one of the best performances came from someone for whom it was her first show. Also it has Helena Taylor and I could listen to anything that woman says.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Any dub that has Jamieson Price in it is a dub that I like.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Countblanc posted:

This and Panty & Stocking prove that the best dubs are comedy localizations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In the original Duel Masters, there's an episode where they're supposed to have a tournament or something. In the dub this is changed to a competitive rock opera.

It's so good the English version got its own 3rd season.

E:Also when the evil rival is introduced more time is spent mocking his wearing a leather jacket without a shirt than anything. There was even a psa at the end of the episode about avoiding chaffing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rodyle posted:

In the original Duel Masters, there's an episode where they're supposed to have a tournament or something. In the dub this is changed to a competitive rock opera.

It's so good the English version got its own 3rd season.

E:Also when the evil rival is introduced more time is spent mocking his wearing a leather jacket without a shirt than anything. There was even a psa at the end of the episode about avoiding chaffing.

It was made so much better because all of the advertising billed it as a super loving serious, Yu-Gi-Oh cards saving the world type series. Then the Dub just goes and mocks the ever living poo poo out of the premise for 3 seasons.

But man that stretch was Peak Toonami. Duel Masters, Megas XLR, YYH, IGPX, Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, Zatch Bell.

Speaking of good Dubs. I loved Zatch Bell's dub, but really really wish they had released an uncut version of the series rather than just the edited dub.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Hellsing Ultimate's dub is really drat good. Integra especially, but almost everybody really nails the essence of the series (one half crazy violence and one half crazy rants delivered with insane grins and reflecting eyeglasses).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Came here to post Samurai Pizza cats

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Countblanc posted:

Mandatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f311XTtqPgc

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Don't watch Hellsing, just watch TFS Ultimate Abridged.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood is a Good Dub. especially Travis Willingham as Mustang.

also good dub: Gurren Lagann.

Simon's voice: Good
Kamina's voice: Good
Yoko's voice: Decent
Nia's voice: Starfire from Teen Titans
Lord Genome's voice: Jamieson loving Price
Viral's voice: Great
Rossiu's voice: Good

Overall: 8/10

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

That vid had bo-bobo in the related links, which was also a loving fantastic dub

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

Nia's voice: Starfire from Teen Titans

!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Don't watch Hellsing, just watch TFS Ultimate Abridged.

Other way around. The abridged version is just a less good version of the actual show.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sadly TTGL is one of those where the dub quality is irrelevant because the original was already perfect.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Ghost in the Shell has a fantastic dub.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so why do you people enjoy dubs besides the obvious comedy ones like that ghost hunter one and ones that drastically change the show like whatever you watched as a kid in the 90's (pizza cats was cool as a child)? maybe its because im from a country where everything besides entertainment for children under 6 is subbed but i don't get why you just don't read the subtitles? its not like it requires more attention, for me it requires even less since if i miss them saying something i can just look at the subtitles to catch it. what's the appeal?

note that i don't hate dubs or anything before someone accuses me of that, i play plenty of videogames with the english dub without caring particularly much, its just that i prefer watching something in its original language whenever possible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people who haven't spent their whole lives reading subs do need to pay a little attention to catch everything

emotionally, there's a big difference between reading something and actually hearing something being said - for some people, the latter sticks in their mind easier

sometimes a dub actually enhances a show's atmosphere, like shows that're very obviously western: baccano is a big example of this

it's easier to tell voices apart and notice the, well, acting, when a character is speaking a language you know. if a character has an unusual cadence in english, you'll notice immediately. if a character has an unusual cadence in japanese, do you even know what an unusual cadence in japanese is? you dont know poo poo about what conversational japanese sounds like

subs don't have jamieson price or steve blum

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because I don't like rewinding to catch what I miss. I like multitasking and even though I've been learning Japanese myself, I'm not familiar enough with the language to afford turning my head when important stuff is happening is happening. Dubs let me gently caress off and play what grindy game I'm playing while still understanding what's going on and I only have to glance over occasionally depending on what the series is. With the institution of Netflix and Funimation's website now which makes it even even to get dubbed stuff than subbed stuff on occasion, it's also convenient.

Also sometimes I do enjoy watching subbed stuff first then watch it dubbed because I enjoy seeing how a different culture handles the interpretation of some characters on a vocal level.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also like, every Watanabe show is better dubbed and I can only stand hearing Akio Ohtsuka as the same huge guy character so many loving times, oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kino's journey is way better dubbed because kino doesn't sound 12 in the dub

• Locked thread