Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!
Looking to see who else is getting this game. I have been waiting for it to come to PC for quite a while. Hoping to get some others in on making a private game/server if it gets support. Whos in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I'm frustrated by the new delay but it should be excellent.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Never heard of it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Serious question - is it actually good? Because I'm hearing people going "the developers learned all the wrong lessons from GTAIV and absolutely nothing from Saints Row", and I'm not sure how much of that is just popularity backlash.

Edit - I'm certainly not preordering this. Don't preorder games, peoples. It's bad for you, and bad for the industry.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 18, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I have no context at all about how the game proper operates as I mostly only ever blew poo poo up and mowed people down with friends who owned the game but never played missions. So my knowledge of the game is very superficial, that said, people are complaining about online play a lot, that it's become some kind of anti-freedom poo poo. Sounds dubious.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
The delay is problematic.

msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!
I hoping it's good. Rockstar use to make great games. Just hope the delay is worth it.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I hope rockstar uses the delay to add more antisjw features also I am 13 and love the hooker part.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

msghall1229 posted:

I hoping it's good. Rockstar use to make great games.

This was never true

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
I look forward to it, but I'm not that optimistic. GTA IV was actually a pretty bad port in terms of PC optimization and you needed a pretty high end computer to run it. Granted by today's standards GTA IV is not that hard to run well.

Also I am eager to mess with the game physics so I can do this again for GTA V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifTIuA8Dq58

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Edward_Lapine posted:

I look forward to it, but I'm not that optimistic. GTA IV was actually a pretty bad port in terms of PC optimization and you needed a pretty high end computer to run it. Granted by today's standards GTA IV is not that hard to run well.

I thought it would still eat up all of your VRAM if you allowed it because the shadows and poo poo weren't optimized at all.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Xander77 posted:

Serious question - is it actually good? Because I'm hearing people going "the developers learned all the wrong lessons from GTAIV and absolutely nothing from Saints Row", and I'm not sure how much of that is just popularity backlash.

Yeah it's pretty good IMO.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Yea, I plan on getting it first day, although I know I shouldn't because Rockstar doesn't give two shits about us PC players.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Uhhh, why is the preorder bonus a 500k dollars in-game? Doesn't the game have cheats or something like every GTA game until now? Please don't tell me it's another one of those "always-online, even single player" games that are in fashion these days. I want to spawn a loving tank if I want to, that's what these games are about, not grinding virtual moneys.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

It depends. Do you like playing for the story, or just to mess around?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
GTA IV multiplayer was amazing, pretty sure I'll get this game to if not just to mess around in it with friends.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Have you played GTA before? It's one of those, but slightly better in every way without actually doing anything significantly new. I personally think the writing and humor in the series has by far worn out its welcome, and the whole story is just such a cynical hellhole full of piece of poo poo characters and awful attempts at comedy I didn't really enjoy it. It came and went despite how much of a stunning technical accomplishment it was.

Edward_Lapine posted:

I'm gonna call it: It will be a pretty stellar port. Most companies outside of Ubisoft are done messing around with lovely PC versions these days. Also Max Payne 3 was an awesome port.

Pochoclo posted:

Uhhh, why is the preorder bonus a 500k dollars in-game? Doesn't the game have cheats or something like every GTA game until now? Please don't tell me it's another one of those "always-online, even single player" games that are in fashion these days. I want to spawn a loving tank if I want to, that's what these games are about, not grinding virtual moneys.

It's for their dumb online mode.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 18, 2015

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Still holding out hope for a RDR port which will never happen

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

It depends. Do you like playing for the story, or just to mess around?
The story, most definitely. One of the reasons I couldn't really get into Saints Row, I guess.

Hakkesshu posted:

Have you played GTA before? It's one of those, but slightly better in every way without actually doing anything significantly new. I personally think the writing and humor in the series has by far worn out its welcome, and the whole story is just such a cynical hellhole full of piece of poo poo characters and awful attempts at comedy I didn't really enjoy it. It came and went despite how much of a stunning technical accomplishment it was.
I played up to the last missions of IV and San Andreas, and don't have the fondest memories of either.

(Sleeping Dogs was the only GTA-alike I really got into)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I play GTA for the deep story of BASAQ and the hooker murders

I'm also 13 and hate my parents

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

Also Max Payne 3 was an awesome port.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
get Saints Row instead OP.

well optimized, great characters, great game

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Still bitter about buying Saints Row 2 for pc at full price and it never working.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Xander77 posted:

The story, most definitely. One of the reasons I couldn't really get into Saints Row, I guess.
I played up to the last missions of IV and San Andreas, and don't have the fondest memories of either.

I played to like a third of the way through and it was really good. The characters were memorable and cool and not over-the-top caricatures. They're still fairly unhinged but just enough to be funny and not laughable garbage. It's not super-serious like 4 was but it doesn't go all the way off into wacky-crazy territory like Saints Row has.

You know in GTA4 where the game constantly tries to bring Nico across as a good guy down on his luck in cutscenes? Even when the gameplay has you wrecking a city and murdering thousands? None of that poo poo.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

Still bitter about buying Saints Row 2 for pc at full price and it never working.

Still a better but than any GTA game

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
If you preorder this after the state the PC version of GTA IV was in when it launched you're an idiot.

Sleeping Dogs is by far the best GTA game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I might get it at some point, but not immediately. I can't afford it, what with spending all my money on kickstarters and gifting copies of PoE.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

If you preorder this after the state the PC version of GTA IV was in when it launched you're an idiot.

Was in? For me it runs fine initially, but after 10-20 minutes it becomes an unplayable stuttery mess until it's restarted. Even with the last update.

RiperSnifler
Aug 19, 2005
Well shit
Bought GTA IV like a year after release and it was an unplayable mess so yeah no chance of preordering this. Also gently caress rockstar social club.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Xander77 posted:

Edit - I'm certainly not preordering this. Don't preorder games, peoples. It's bad for you, and bad for the industry.

I got burned with GTA4. Also got burned with The Ballad of Gay Tony/The Lost and Damned with the whole "No, it's really better! Honest!" (it wasn't)

Also got burned with the GTA4 PC port (holy gently caress it was terrible)

So Rockstar are going to have to pull a god drat rabbit out of their rear end to get me to buy GTA5, particularly as they've been surpassed in pretty much everything to do with Open World games by their competitors.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
No idea what to think about the port, but re: the quality of the game I think it's the best one in the series. Been playing on ps4 and enjoying a gta for the first time since vc.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

That's pretty well spot on. I guess it's technically a well made game, but it's not nearly as fun as San Andreas or Saints Row-anything. It feels like it takes itself too seriously, most of the missions I played overstayed their welcome, and the soundtrack is awful if you're into electronic music. Also there's an annoying character who drops N-bombs like commas. GTA5's a piece of poo poo.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Xander77 posted:

The only people you heard this from are bitter Saints Row fanboys because GTAV is a completely different game from IV in terms of tone, features, gameplay, and pretty much everything else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ddraig posted:

I got burned with GTA4. Also got burned with The Ballad of Gay Tony/The Lost and Damned with the whole "No, it's really better! Honest!" (it wasn't)

The worst part about those is that they were standalone expansions but they required all of the assets from GTA IV so the download size was the same anyway. And they didn't share assets with the main game either so you effectively doubled the size of the game with both installed.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Disgusting Coward posted:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Oberleutnant posted:

Gentlemen of the Row, get it.

It fixes a few issues if I understood correctly (and introduces a whole bunch of insanity)

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
GTA5 was one of the best SP games in the series, and I enjoyed it even more than Sleeping Dogs. I didn't bother with the multiplayer because it wasn't anywhere near as fun.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im getting it

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
I'll get it if auto-aim is off by default online for PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Xander77 posted:

If you want a GTA-alike open world crime sandbox then get GTAV. There is no competition, sadly.

• Locked thread