Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Xander77 posted:

Edit - I'm certainly not preordering this. Don't preorder games, peoples. It's bad for you, and bad for the industry.

Oh, hey, you must be that guy from Reddit. Want to pull each other's penises until we both orgasm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The world in GTAV is pretty fun to mess around in

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mr Scumbag posted:

Oh, hey, you must be that guy from Reddit. Want to pull each other's penises until we both orgasm?

Have you not followed the news lately then? Companies are exploiting preorders worse than ever before and it just isn't a good idea anymore, especially not to give the developers/publishers ideas.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I'll get it when someone mods GTA IV vehicle handling in and it goes on sale. The rest of GTA IV was poo poo but the driving physics were amazing and redeemed the whole game for me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

circ dick soleil posted:

If you want a GTA-alike open world crime sandbox then get GTAV. There is no competition, sadly.

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs more than GTA V even though it obviously isn't as well-made in pretty much any respect.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I'd like to get this; I picked up a PS2/3/4? just to play GTA:V and Red Dead Redemption; after waiting loving forever and never seeing the latter for PC. I figured GTA:V would follow a similar path but thankfully not. Enjoyed the main plot but didn't play much after completing it; tried multiplayer for maybe an hour but it was seemingly pointless.

Hopefully dicking around after completing the story will be more enjoyable on PC; but I'm really hoping to see some of the wacky custom maps GTA:San Andreas custom servers enjoyed.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
I once played a GTA on PC and it sucked. But now its number is higher, so perhaps its better.
Why do I still pre-purchase games?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
If you like driving really loving fast cars with friends in a really well-designed, detailed cityscape and desert area and playing pretty city dress up this game has incredibly fun multiplayer, but I guess none of you have real friends to play with judging the multiplayer reactions huh....

Some of my favorite parts in this game is parachuting from hilariously high places or getting myself run over by a train. It's a very pretty game and the driving and shooting feel very visceral and satisfying. I guess the jobs are pretty boring because the game basically makes you grind the same missions for money but they honestly poo poo a lot of money on you and if you play with actual friends the missions can be pretty fun.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So what is it about jumping out from somewhere high or being hit by a train that GTA5 does better than other competitors.

Being able to use trains in insurance fraud schemes in SR2 was particularly fun, as was throwing people directly infront of them.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hakkesshu posted:

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs more than GTA V even though it obviously isn't as well-made in pretty much any respect.

Yeah I totally forgot about Sleeping Dogs. That game was cool.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

circ dick soleil posted:

Yeah I totally forgot about Sleeping Dogs. That game was cool.

I quickly ran out of phonebooths though. 7/10.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lovely Wizard posted:

I'll get it if auto-aim is off by default online for PC.

Online on the consoles segregates players by their aiming preferences so even if it's not you just set yourself for free-aim and you'll only ever play with other free-aim people.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I loving hated GTA IV but love GTA V. It really is fun and playing the entirety of it in first person mode totally changes things. It's like skyrim except fun to actually play. The shooting in fps mode is janky though.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Ddraig posted:

So what is it about jumping out from somewhere high or being hit by a train that GTA5 does better than other competitors.

Being able to use trains in insurance fraud schemes in SR2 was particularly fun, as was throwing people directly infront of them.

I was just describing why people play GTAV and why it is fun, I haven't played Saints Row or Sleeping Dogs so I wasn't saying anything about those games in particular.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Is there a way to play GTAIV-like multiplayer in V, or are we stuck with GTA Online? Most people I know say that Online is crap and you can't do anything fun without getting penalised or something.

e: also sleeping dogs is cool everyone play sleeping dogs

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ddraig posted:

It's being done in a city that isn't the most boring dull bland poo poo possible? With euphoria physics too.

You are really mad that people on the internet like a game that you don't like, and it's funny and pathetic.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Ddraig posted:

SR2 came out 7 years ago. I wouldn't call it a competitor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

circ dick soleil posted:

SR2 came out 7 years ago. I wouldn't call it a competitor.

it's also completely and totally broken on windows 7

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's completely broken on any PC. My point is what exactly is it about GTA5 that would rank it above other open world games that have come out since GTA4 and the like that have completely surpassed GTA on multiple fronts?

With GTA4 they focused on entirely the wrong things. Having the most detailed city in the world doesn't really make a game any more fun if there's nothing interesting to do in it. Just carrying the GTA name isn't really a selling point after the shitshow that was GTA4.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ddraig posted:

It's completely broken on any PC. My point is what exactly is it about GTA5 that would rank it above other open world games that have come out since GTA4 and the like that have completely surpassed GTA on multiple fronts?

With GTA4 they focused on entirely the wrong things. Having the most detailed city in the world doesn't really make a game any more fun if there's nothing interesting to do in it. Just carrying the GTA name isn't really a selling point after the shitshow that was GTA4.

GTA V is actually fun.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Ddraig posted:

Not sure what you're getting at here.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
Ugh

Hopefully R* will take one look at the sales of this one and knock it off with the obnoxious SJW stuff

edit: which has been killing the series

fingers crossed OP

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
GTA4 was a bad game by the previous standards Rockstar had set themselves, and the two expansions did nothing to allay fears that they don't have much idea what they're doing anymore. Just about the only decent indicator I've found that GTA5 isn't as terrible is that it was made by Rockstar Leeds, who actually made a good GTA game (Chinatown Wars)

I don't really feel critical reviews of GTA5 would be much help since it's a Rockstar game and they can put a literal turd on a disc, as they did with GTA4, and it will still win multiple awards.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Ddraig posted:

GTA4 was a bad game by the previous standards Rockstar had set themselves, and the two expansions did nothing to allay fears that they don't have much idea what they're doing anymore. Just about the only decent indicator I've found that GTA5 isn't as terrible is that it was made by Rockstar Leeds, who actually made a good GTA game (Chinatown Wars)

I don't really feel critical reviews of GTA5 would be much help since it's a Rockstar game and they can put a literal turd on a disc, as they did with GTA4, and it will still win multiple awards.

IV wasn't as expansive as San Andreas because they couldn't keep using Renderware forever. It had to be built up again on a new engine which is what made things possible such as the current damage modelling system and euphoria physics.

The cool thing is, this is the first time in GTA's history where it's going from one console generation to the next without having to switch over to a new engine.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 21, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Euphoria was very impressive, I admit, but just about the only cool thing in the entirety of GTA4 was that and Three Leaf Clover, and even that was only because it was directly ripped off from a better thing.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Ddraig posted:

Euphoria was very impressive, I admit, but just about the only cool thing in the entirety of GTA4 was that and Three Leaf Clover, and even that was only because it was directly ripped off from a better thing.

The open world was also really well designed and I like IV's Liberty City a lot more than Los Santos.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ddraig posted:

It's got a very big and very detailed open world, great physics and controls for maximum loving-arounding, a large variety of cars and guns and other vehicles, and most importantly, it makes pathetic nerds like you mad because it dares to not be precious holy Saints Row.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I think Los Santos is a pretty fun city to drive around in. Especially the desert and mountains give a huge offroad area to gently caress around in.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

Xander77 posted:

Serious question - is it actually good? Because I'm hearing people going "the developers learned all the wrong lessons from GTAIV and absolutely nothing from Saints Row", and I'm not sure how much of that is just popularity backlash.

Edit - I'm certainly not preordering this. Don't preorder games, peoples. It's bad for you, and bad for the industry.

If anything was to be learned from saints row and GTAIV it is that a violent comedy open world game can swing too far in a serious direction (GTAIV) and too far in a direction that tries way too hard to be outrageously funny (saints row). GTAV is just about the perfect balance.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

It looks great on PS4 and first person driving is really fun. I wasn't a huge fan of the shooting. Enemies take too many hits and play dead before getting up again. With a mouse and keyboard, it might be more enjoyable, but cover in first-person is always going to be a big handicap.

My guess is that they'll mod it a ton to make the shooting better and it'll look even better in about a year or so.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It's 34$ on Nuuvem. Wonder if that's region restricted?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Xander77 posted:

It's 34$ on Nuuvem. Wonder if that's region restricted?

You can check the regional versions on SteamDB. Looks like they have special versions for China, Germany and India, so keys from anywhere else should be international ones.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
e:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
For a second I thought I stepped into an alternate dimension because I mentally parsed all those posts about Sleeping Dogs being better than GTA as being about Watch Dogs and did not know what the gently caress

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

a glitch posted:

Is there a way to play GTAIV-like multiplayer in V, or are we stuck with GTA Online? Most people I know say that Online is crap and you can't do anything fun without getting penalised or something.
Stuck with GTA Online.
Modes like Mafya Work and Turf Wars aren't in the game. You have several Capture modes that kinda work like those but nobody plays those modes at all. Deathmatch and Racing only.
You can cruise around with friends but you won't be able to keep weapons above your characters level. Also most of the time someone is just going to speed by you in a super car and sticky bomb you, then reverse up to you and shoot you when you respawn and you can't shoot back because the back window is bullet-proof.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
GTA5 felt like it took a few pages from Saints Row as far as goofiness and overthetopness went. They hit a good balance of keeping the story grounded and throwing in enough oddities to keep things funny and exciting. I like it better than 4. I also didn't get to finish 5 because my save file got presumably messed up and no new missions would trigger, leaving me in sidequest purgatory.

Online mode was kinda unremarkable for me. But I seem to be getting away from online games lately, I like doing things at my own pace with or without people.

That said, I'll buy this. I get some sort of pleasure watching Micheals dysfunctional as hell family.

buglord fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 21, 2015

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I give GTA V a lot of poo poo for a lot of things, but it's certainly got a lot to see and do in it. If it's a solid PC port, I'll definitely get it and spend a frankly self-indulgent amount of hours checking out the radio stations and riding a bicycle through the countryside.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
GTA5 is also extremely weird in that it feels like someone involved with writing it really wanted to do political commentary but the end result is completely muddled and bizarre, kind of like Dark Knight Rises or something

I mean all the GTA games are sort of satirizing American culture or whatever and GTA4 had problems with ~ludonarrative dissonance~, but 5 is something else entirely

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Was going to, but now I'm waiting either for Rockstar to explain what "periodic entitlement verification" entails or someone to post trip report after launch whether or not it's some terrible and dumb always-online DRM scheme. If it is, then gently caress this game and gently caress Rockstar, I'll buy pizza for 60€ instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Is the FPS mode good?
Cause it could be cool but it could also be loving dumb

• Locked thread