Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

looks like it would stop a hangover cold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

netally posted:

Fuckin' proud to be a brit m8. Poppy appeal, are boys, the queen etc.

I love the little train at Dawlish. You can wave at the passengers going by and pretend you're in The Railway Children, then go and lose many pennies at the amusements.

this can't be real?

right???

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dftDPLAylU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

What's the worst spot? What is the "Detroit" for England?
There are bits that are rough for violence like some of Bristol and Nottingham, there are places with little or no opportunity in terms of jobs, like Hull or Slough or the (ex-)mining villages everyone just hosed off from in the Northeast of England, not sure we have anywhere quite like Detroit though.

Here's a picture of the surprisingly keen people of Yorkshire when the Tour de France started there last year:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

I don't get it - why would these people choose to immigrate to England if they hate it so much? Like, I could see being born somewhere and hating, but they made the loving choice. Idiots. loving idiots.

The signs seem mad about people insulting islam. Maybe stop doing that

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Also something makes me think Mohamed al-Gingeri here might be a native

Something Witty
Jan 24, 2009
Fun Shoe

Rambling Robot posted:

this can't be real?

right???

They do look like false teeth, I'm sure I've seen that exact mold in makeup before. The premise of the program and channel is to both bear-bait the poor and over-exaggerate the size and influence of the welfare/disabled/drug addicts. It wouldn't surprise me if Jeremy Kyle was a massive scam in order to divide and conquer the people and make them feel better about their terrible lives (and terrible teeth).

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Something Witty posted:

They do look like false teeth, I'm sure I've seen that exact mold in makeup before. The premise of the program and channel is to both bear-bait the poor and over-exaggerate the size and influence of the welfare/disabled/drug addicts. It wouldn't surprise me if Jeremy Kyle was a massive scam in order to divide and conquer the people and make them feel better about their terrible lives (and terrible teeth).

I see.

Just like Jerry Springer, Maury, "Dr." Phil and so on.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

So that's the British equivalent of say Cleveland, comparing to the united states.

Not Detroit but my hometown made the paper the other day for being a wasteland

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2908559/Once-thriving-Dunstable-ghost-town-43-boarded-shops.html

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

David Copperfield posted:

Why on Earth would the Japanese hate Israelis more than any other who're people

Japan and Israel have lots of economic ties so you can basically get a work visa for Japan if you're an Israeli citizen with minimal paperwork and background checks. Conservative Japanese people assert that this means a significant criminal element from Israel likes to come over to Japan and do bad stuff far away from the watchful eyes of the IDF. This is also a common complaint by wealthy Brazilians about Russian immigrants.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Japan and Israel have lots of economic ties so you can basically get a work visa for Japan if you're an Israeli citizen with minimal paperwork and background checks. Conservative Japanese people assert that this means a significant criminal element from Israel likes to come over to Japan and do bad stuff far away from the watchful eyes of the IDF. This is also a common complaint by wealthy Brazilians about Russian immigrants.

So basically jews

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

jBrereton posted:

There are bits that are rough for violence like some of Bristol and Nottingham

Despite a shooting in Hyson green my three years at Trent Uni were incident free*. The Locals are cool despite thousands of students vomiting all over the city centre.

* back in the 90's, There used to be stories on central news about the Broxtowe estate and how rough it was. It was mostly rubbish.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

it amazes me someone that creepy was on TV

Something Witty
Jan 24, 2009
Fun Shoe

Rambling Robot posted:

I see.

Just like Jerry Springer, Maury, "Dr." Phil and so on.

Pretty much. We have grown up with the BBC, which was for a time impartial and truthful. Now the media is owned by Murdoch and the BBC is government propaganda, unfortunately people still retain that trust. Unfortunately it has nurtured an unquestioning generation.

Eh, eh, EH?

Something Witty fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 24, 2015

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this sovereign citizen stuff might be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.

Present posted:

Nobody emigrates thinking "yeah, I'm totally cool with assimilating into the social norms and traditions of my new country." You get there and think that people around you are idiots and that their way of life is retarded. Speaking as an immigrant.

So why didn't you just stay put lol?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

So why didn't you just stay put lol?
To earn more money and/or get away from whatever shittip you were living in previously and despised too.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

jBrereton posted:

To earn more money and/or get away from whatever shittip you were living in previously and despised too.

Yeah that.

You basically want to have your cake and eat it too. Except for some people having/eating that cake means murdering the hell out of some caricaturists I guess?

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
hi hello use [timg][/timg] ok

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mange Mite posted:

Also something makes me think Mohamed al-Gingeri here might be a native

dont albino shame

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Obscuritatem posted:

i live and work in and around the trossachs and there's literally nothing to do but look at fuckin hills/swamps.
woo how picturesque, does anyone have any weed?

You forgot "appreciate the 17 varieties of Scottish drizzle".

SARF DAHNS

Meanwhile in Brecon... (it was raining)

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

The signs seem mad about people insulting islam. Maybe stop doing that

Shouldn't have to. Not gonna.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Pantsuit posted:

There are many shitholes in the UK and my home city (Stoke) belongs to this proud group. Don't let the dudes posting pictures of Bath and picturesque Yorkshire Moors villages fool you, most of the UK looks like this:

Some shithole alley near Hanley, the commercial centre of the city.

The old bus station in Hanley, which has now been replaced by one that spells 'central' with an 's'. A mini documentary documenting a day in the life at the old station can be found on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0f1chj_bUg.

God that bus station was a loving dive.

Random derelict land in Shelton. Sites like this aren't uncommon round Stoke, there's plenty of brownland sites that are just left to rot since people aren't exactly tripping over themselves to move here.

No decent jobs, no prospects, nothing. Stoke is the fifth worst place in the entire country for GCSE results, and I saw a stunning statistic that only 37% of people gained 4 A*-C at GCSE including maths and english (for non UK goons a C or above at GCSE is a pass). Sums it all up, really.

Typical britgoon. My nan lives in Stoke and the countryside around there is stunning. Perhaps if you left your rig and raiding alone for a bit you'd get out there and see it.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

wilderthanmild posted:

So that's the British equivalent of say Cleveland, comparing to the united states.

Hull.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

also i was in Hanley a couple of months ago and it was fine. The woman in the bank was very pleasant.

Dont get why everybody hates their country so much.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

also if you want to argue about muslims please go to the UK Megathread where you can all hold hands and make a pussy circle and see who can cry the hardest.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
britain.flv

http://videos.sapo.pt/46H7EmOPmH01O9PQA3yT

sfw and a pro-click

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

opus111 posted:

Typical britgoon. My nan lives in Stoke and the countryside around there is stunning. Perhaps if you left your rig and raiding alone for a bit you'd get out there and see it.

There's no need for the condescending attitude m8, I lived in Stoke for most of my life and I know how gorgeous rural Staffordshire is.

Trentham Hall, a beautiful building that currently stands derelict. Trentham is also home to the mausoleum of the Duke of Sutherland and family, the only Grade I listed building in the entirety of Stoke:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

soz, been on the booze so a bit aggressive... good pics though ! :)

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i gotta admit i'm a life long anglophile, robin hood and king aurthur and stuff. on my bucket list is to walk a part of hadrian's wall.

i like this too:

dee eight fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 24, 2015

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

opus111 posted:

soz, been on the booze so a bit aggressive... good pics though ! :)

It's cool. Even though I will always love Stoke I am not delusional, I know it's a pretty crappy place, especially places like Shelton, Burslem, Meir, Cobridge etc (this list could be literally everywhere in Stoke bar Trentham haha). All the Six Towns bar Hanley are abandoned, I mean who the gently caress goes to Longton anymore???

Stokes' biggest problems are it's widespread layout (there's no proper centre, Stoke is a conglomeration of six separate towns(Hanley, Burslem, Fenton, Longton, Tunstall and Stoke)) and lack of a predominant industry since the pottery trade dried up. You can get out of there pretty easily (M6 and a train station that'll take you to Manchester in 45 minutes and Birmingham in an hour) so I suppose we have that going for us.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Monkey Fracas posted:

looks like it would stop a hangover cold

if you were only provided that motivation + "provide enough calories to get through the day in the misery factory" - Spices = you could basically predict english cuisine if you knew nothing else about it

(imported south asian cuisine doesn't count)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pantsuit posted:

It's cool. Even though I will always love Stoke I am not delusional, I know it's a pretty crappy place, especially places like Shelton, Burslem, Meir, Cobridge etc (this list could be literally everywhere in Stoke bar Trentham haha). All the Six Towns bar Hanley are abandoned, I mean who the gently caress goes to Longton anymore???

Stokes' biggest problems are it's widespread layout (there's no proper centre, Stoke is a conglomeration of six separate towns(Hanley, Burslem, Fenton, Longton, Tunstall and Stoke)) and lack of a predominant industry since the pottery trade dried up. You can get out of there pretty easily (M6 and a train station that'll take you to Manchester in 45 minutes and Birmingham in an hour) so I suppose we have that going for us.

I went to uni in Stoke. I always used to wonder what everyone there did for a living, 'cos with the industry gone, the place was just a random collection of houses in the middle of nowhere.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So basically England is a shartbarge

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

jfc take it to the bloody megathread, will ya? this is a celebration of england, not a place for you to clutch your pearls.

• Locked thread