Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Phoon posted:

mike tyson probably punches faster but bruce lee knew a better variety of martial arts whereas tyson can basically just do the one thing so i think lee would win

Lee said boxers were dangerous since they just focused on knocking people the gently caress out. My money is still on Lee though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

don't kicks leave you extremely overextended and vurnerable also?

Yes, according to one of Bruce Lee's books.

Cold and Ugly posted:

If you're a loving pussy, maybe.

Bruce Lee emphasized the importance of punching over kicking as it doesn't put you as off balance and allows you to more quickly strike and maneuver.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cold and Ugly posted:

We're talking about a fight, bitch. Not a track meet.

One of Bruce Lee's actual fights got him to emphasize cardio training and endurance because the guy he was fighting ran away like a bitch and Bruce had to spend an extra five minutes running him down to beat his rear end instead of settling things in under a minute like he preferred.

Fun fact: Bruce Lee once hit Jackie Chan in the face during enter the dragon, and Bruce Lee got really concerned that he hurt him, then Jackie Chan cried like a bitch... because he wanted an excuse to spend more time hanging around Bruce.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

itsgotmetoo posted:

bruce lee with a sling and mike tyson with a 100 pound weight strapped to his back and i'll give bruce a shot

Old style slings are actually really lethal in skilled hands, 50-500 grams of lead to the face is pretty fatal.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Who would win: Jackie Chan vs Warmachine?

Currently Warmachine as Jackie Chan turn 60 last year, but if the fight took place in a home depot, Jackie has a really good shot.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

itsgotmetoo posted:

okay bruce lee has to tie one arm behind his back

Well that wouldn't prevent him from outpacing Tyson with his 100 pound weight and it should be possible, if tricky, to load a sling one handed so Bruce Lee still has a clear advantage.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

If Tyson could close the distance and get within his strike range it'd be brutal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXHJempvayI Bruce Lee is too maneuverable and experienced to let that happen though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cold and Ugly posted:

Surely thousandTime World Champion boxer Mike Tyson never met another quick, experienced fighter.

While I do believe Bruce Lee would most likely win, I don't think it'd be as quick and easy as people are making it out to be, both men were incredibly dangerous in their prime.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Mine was a hypothetical too because Tyson has a lot of trouble using his words in everyday situations let alone conflict resolution.

His sense of comedic timing is surprisingly good though, I've seen him doing roasts and watched his cartoon.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."-Mike Tyson.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cold and Ugly posted:

It's happened once or twice. Never been concussed though. So if you except almost certain alcohol damage i'm probably okay.

I knew this guy who played soccer, like amateur league and he bragged about getting six concussions because he was a loving idiot. Brain damage is some serious poo poo.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Lol at all the people saying Mike Tyson was one of the best boxers of all time.
Next to Ali, he was the flashiest, and he had perhaps the fastest hook-uppercut combi of all time. But dude couldn't take a punch for poo poo. Buster loving Douglas knocked him out. I can't recall one actually excellent boxer he ever beat, but I can recall a string of losses once he started fighting skilled opps. The strongest opponent he actually beat was probably Robin Givens.

Bruce Lee vs. Ali. That would be a good debate/

Ali already beat up Superman so I have to disagree with you on that.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Neurosis posted:

Things that could easily defeat bruce lee

Mike tyson
Most professional fighters in any full contact fight sport and some of the amateurs too
College wrestlers and some good high school wrestlers
Any serious grappling competitor w decent takedowns
War Machine
Meprobomate
The gun from the set of the crow

Things that could defeat the Myth of Bruce Lee, actor with no serious fight credentials

Nil

Man even Bruce Lee himself said buying a gun was a far better way to kill someone than learning kung fu. However, it is true that there's no footage of Bruce Lee getting into non-staged fights so we can't really honestly compare him to Mike Tyson.

and Ali.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cold and Ugly posted:

That's incredibly fascinating. So in your mind is "rumble in the bronx" like the same thing as a heavyweight boxing match?

You didn't specify in the OP whether this was a professional match, street fight, if batman gets prep time, just Bruce Lee vs Tyson who'd win. Every poster is constructing their own conditions for this fight which may or may not involve Ali.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fullhouse posted:

yea but better

Remember that bit with the woodchipper? God drat it I have to go for a bit, good job on creating a lively debate OP.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dresh posted:

What if Miyamoto Musashi joins in and all fighters get access to swords (or machetes)?

Meyers has a good shot at taking down Musashi, unless oars are an option.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Nobody ever said they couldn't use monster trucks in this fight, so advantage Tyson.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Huh apparently the National Geographic show, "Fight Science" has Bruce Lee punching at 2000 PSI vs Tyson's 1200 PSI.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Weight is an advantage up to a point

.5 (mass)* Velocity^2

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Neurosis posted:

pack it in boys this one's been decided by real scientists

Eh, I'm looking and I can't find an official measurement of Tyson's PSI, I think that's just extrapolated. I am finding interviews of Tyson liking Bruce Lee but thinking he was too flashy in his actual fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bishop posted:

Bruce lee uses his oriental magic to win because I saw it in a movie

I really liked that Jackie Chan movie "City Hunter" where he's fighting all these dudes on a cruise ship and Bruce Lee's game of death is playing in the theatre and this chick is all, "you couldn't beat up a tall black dude like that." and Jackie Chan is all, "Nu-uh!" then he has to fight TWO tall black dudes and it's cool. Then Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee have a short conversation despite Bruce Lee being in a movie in a movie which is pretty magical and or oriental.

• Locked thread