Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Mariana Horchata posted:

electric blankets during the winter are a much better and cheaper alternative

yeah they work well but you eventually start to feel like a bit of a loser spending all your time that you're at home in bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ive never lived anywhere cold but do people actually use electric blankets. it sounds like a good way to kill yourself

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

fuckin lol where i live it's 35c (95f) on the reg and humid as poo poo

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

krampster2 posted:

fuckin lol where i live it's 35c (95f) on the reg and humid as poo poo

sounds really good

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Puerto Rico sure, but Afghanistan can get cold as balls.

oh, I didn't know that. I guess it makes sense though since it has a lot of mountains.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

why don't you just use the radiator :britain:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

why don't you just use the radiator :britain:

what the gently caress is a radiator

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Been seeing this new girl and slept over at her place last night, she had her thermostat on 70 and a large space heater pointed directly at her bed. I slept above the covers topless in eastern Washington winter. I keep my apartment at like 60 as I prefer to just use extra clothing or blankets and am basically a human sized space heater.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
its 70 degrees here 50 at night so i just have all my windows open gl with ur electric bill op

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

Been seeing this new girl and slept over at her place last night, she had her thermostat on 70 and a large space heater pointed directly at her bed. I slept above the covers topless in eastern Washington winter. I keep my apartment at like 60 as I prefer to just use extra clothing or blankets and am basically a human sized space heater.

you should sleep naked, especially with your girlfriend.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SHISHKABOB posted:

what the gently caress is a radiator

I think it's a metal thing old buildings have that come out of the floor and radiate heat. I think I saw one in an old movie once.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinLQG2VSR4

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I knew these guys who had this african roommate one year in college. I mean, he was from africa. Anyway, he always would set the thermostat as high as it would go and my friends would always wake up in a pool of sweat, pissed off.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
meanwhile, my roommates keep turning the thermostat down to 55 because they're loving idiots

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Reminds me of a roommate I had who would blast the AC so that I would wake up feeling my nose hairs begin to freeze. I'd check on him to ask why I could see my own breath and he would be bundled up in an extreme cold weather sleeping bag with a scarf and wool cap. gently caress all roommates.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Dave_Indeed posted:

Why would you crank your heat and light a fire? I don't think you're actually in Ohio. I'm in Ohio and we know how fireplaces work here.

Because they're really super sensitive to cold? The furnace runs all the time, there are space heaters scattered around and when it gets really cold out there's a fire going too. Like I said I don't get it, but that's how it is. :shrug:

When I visit in the summer air conditioning becomes something of a battle ground because apparently anything below about 100 degrees is not hot.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Jimong5 posted:

thats not how thermostats work.

but you could wire in a different, secret thermostat and let them fiddle with the old one wondering why its not 80.

or buy one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-Thermostat-Guard-CG511A/202024249

that thing is like 20 bucks of profit for the ppl at honeywell

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Every gym on the planet has 4 of them with broken off faceplates.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

75.4345345349058908905239023p9027349087435r8972890475897423895742389753890475890743895789437tt7890890742389072438950743895

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
58 F all day

tho with the plummeting oil prices I may splurge that to 60 in honor of russia's demise

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SHISHKABOB posted:

they're from peurto rico and afghanistan so I guess they aren't used to the weather but still srsly wtf

You're another victim of multiculturalism. Je sus charlie.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
i keep it at 64 and anyone who touches it is losing a hand

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inu posted:

Real answer: Don't live in loving Ohio

This is really the answer to any and all Ohio related questions.

Doctor Shapes
Mar 17, 2009

Ask and ye shall receive.
tell them you aren't paying for an 80 degree thermostat bill dumpass pussy

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kimmalah posted:

Because they're really super sensitive to cold? The furnace runs all the time, there are space heaters scattered around and when it gets really cold out there's a fire going too. Like I said I don't get it, but that's how it is. :shrug:

When I visit in the summer air conditioning becomes something of a battle ground because apparently anything below about 100 degrees is not hot.

So you hung out with stupid people and they're doing it wrong. Fireplaces radiate heat within 10 feet or so but the chimney sucks the rest of the heat out of the house. It's pretty basic stuff. Just murder those people and do the rest of we Ohians a favor.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Dave_Indeed posted:

So you hung out with stupid people and they're doing it wrong. Fireplaces radiate heat within 10 feet or so but the chimney sucks the rest of the heat out of the house. It's pretty basic stuff. Just murder those people and do the rest of we Ohians a favor.

I haven't met many people in Ohio who weren't stupid honestly.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

I purchased this Honeywell Thermostat Guard, to STOP other people who live in my house from changing MY Thermostat settings. Everytime I would set my thermostat where I wanted it, someone else would come along and change it. No one would admitt to it, and I got tired of paying a large gas & electric bill every month.
No one else is helping me to pay my Gas & Electric bill, so they needed to keep their hands off, but they wouldn't.
This Thermostat Guard LOCKS over my thermostat, and now NO ONE else can change my settings.

damorg5623
Baltimore, MD, USA
55 to 64, Male

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

boom boom boom posted:

whatever you do, don't talk to him

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

doomisland posted:

63 degress crew checkin in

what this guy said

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I don't really have to think about this stuff because I live in southern California and the weather is normally perfect. I did have to wear a sweater for like a week this winter though, so I know how you guys feel.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lol let me guess op, they're all females

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Inu posted:

Real answer: Don't live in loving Ohio

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

off with their heads

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I also live in southern California and right now it's 76 out just like it was yesterday and the day before that and pretty much most of the time.

Sometimes it gets a bit nippy and it can hit 50-60, and during summer it can get to a miserable 90-95.

lol

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

I also live in southern California and right now it's 76 out just like it was yesterday and the day before that and pretty much most of the time.

Sometimes it gets a bit nippy and it can hit 50-60, and during summer it can get to a miserable 90-95.

lol

Same. I don't have heat or a.c. either and don't need it lol.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

ive never lived anywhere cold but do people actually use electric blankets. it sounds like a good way to kill yourself

i live somewhere cold and the idea of an electric blanket loving terrifies me on some really core level. like the safest, most trusted type of thing in the entire world, the kind of thing youve been wrapped in since being a baby, possibly catching on fire and killing you. what would be worse than burning alive shrouded in a loving blanket

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

TEAYCHES posted:

what would be worse than burning alive shrouded in a loving blanket

Living in Ohio.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
You are basically using your white imperialist privilege to freeze these people out of their own house. Can you be any more oppressive?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
What is a fahrenheit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What is a fahrenheit?

Pretty good game on Xbox.

• Locked thread