Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bwatts
May 28, 2013

"i like to have sex with children but youcan't prove i do it so i get away with it constantly - jk. thats some in-humour here at the babysitting forum"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Jekub, have you considered giant land snails? Your 5 year old can feed them lettuce and they likely won't jump out of his hands.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

bwatts posted:

"i like to have sex with children but youcan't prove i do it so i get away with it constantly - jk. thats some in-humour here at the babysitting forum"

Enough of this derail please. Last warning.

bwatts
May 28, 2013

this is just like prince andrew

bwatts
May 28, 2013

thats not a derailment because hes probably a lizard person as well as a wealthy sex-criminal

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

pants cat posted:

Jekub, have you considered giant land snails? Your 5 year old can feed them lettuce and they likely won't jump out of his hands.

I had not, but I'll look into it, thanks. My wife used to have them in her classroom so I'll ask her later. That and frogs sound like eminently more sensible ideas for when the time is right.

As the keeper of two planted aquariums I spend most of my life trying to reduce my snail population, doing the opposite would be weird.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

pants cat posted:

Are giant land snails legal to own in places? I thought they were banned because they're a horrible invasive species that spread like crazy if they escape.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
^^ Not in the UK.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

wtftastic posted:

Do I have to make my own mice or can I let someone else do this?

One time, I had someone ask me at work if our F/T mice are dead or just sleeping (and she was dead serious, because she felt really dumb after asking).

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

One time, I had someone ask me at work if our F/T mice are dead or just sleeping (and she was dead serious, because she felt really dumb after asking).

I've had variations of that question: "So, do they wake up when they thaw?"

Usually I offer that freezing is terminal, and then give the asker an out, or a conversational redirect, as usually the light bulb usually goes on, as folks realize the folly of the question as soon as I start responding.

But then I contemplate the potential for Swanson's Cryogenic Mouse Dinners for herps. I'll get to that once I perfect the hognose defibrillator. ;)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Jekub posted:

As the keeper of two planted aquariums I spend most of my life trying to reduce my snail population, doing the opposite would be weird.

Amen, bredda. The only good snail is an assassin snail.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

To try and get things back on track I've always wanted a Beardy. Someone post beardy pics. I had a co-worker in high school who'd come in with one chilling out on her shoulder. They seem so chill and neat. :allears:

Here's Luna, during last week's weigh-in.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

OneTwentySix posted:

Are giant land snails legal to own in places? I thought they were banned because they're a horrible invasive species that spread like crazy if they escape.

Regardless of legalities, I'm curious if they're safe given that this dude has cats and dogs. In Okinawa they used to make dogs sick. Dunno if it's a locality thing or not.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Bobbaganoosh posted:

I've had variations of that question: "So, do they wake up when they thaw?"

Usually I offer that freezing is terminal, and then give the asker an out, or a conversational redirect, as usually the light bulb usually goes on, as folks realize the folly of the question as soon as I start responding.

But then I contemplate the potential for Swanson's Cryogenic Mouse Dinners for herps. I'll get to that once I perfect the hognose defibrillator. ;)

I tried my best to not make her feel stupid, she owns leopard geckos, and has never had snakes, so I could understand the curiosity. Nonetheless, it's a bit amusing, although cryogenics also popped up in my head.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ApathyGirl posted:

Here's Luna, during last week's weigh-in.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I love the look on their faces. They look so cocksure. :swoon:

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Wow, 63 posts in the herp thread. Wonder what they're talking about. Oh.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

Big Centipede posted:

Wow, 63 posts in the herp thread. Wonder what they're talking about. Oh.

This thread is worse than a hidden regurge on a hot day.

Also to add more - I was into critters and stuff at 5 but my parents didn't let me have my own pets. We did have a family fish tank and stuff that they let me "help" with, so maybe go that route and just let the kid get more active with taking care of your current pets?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

wtftastic posted:

But seriously what is the minimum time and dollar investment for a beginner snake?

Like $100 for a cage, heat, thermostat, and some mice. You can get the snake for free on craigslist. :v People are always getting rid of them its kinda sad actually.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

Silver Nitrate posted:

Like $100 for a cage, heat, thermostat, and some mice. You can get the snake for free on craigslist. :v People are always getting rid of them its kinda sad actually.

You can get a cheap/cracked tank on CL for cheap too, or buy a plastic bin and drill holes in it.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Yeah, basically the only required expensive part of snakes is temperature control. Definitely get a thermostat and a laser temp reader, everything else you can make or find. Orrr you could be like me and spend too much money at Animal Plastics.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I have to do some cleaning today, are there any animals I have that ya'll want to see? I have one of everything. (No pythons)

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Silver Nitrate posted:

I have to do some cleaning today, are there any animals I have that ya'll want to see? I have one of everything. (No pythons)

I would like to see some kings. I love me some kings.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just remembered, my little brother had a firebellied newt beginning when he was quite young. He had it in a planted aquatic viv with rocks that the newt could crawl out onto, and we had a family of guppies in the tank that would reproduce and then the guppy babies would be newt food.

My brother knew the newt was not a pet for picking up and playing with. I'd think a tank with a firebellied newt or firebellied toads would be OK in a common space, they can nominally "belong to" the kid, the kid gets to put in food items, but does not have unsupervised access, and if worse comes to worst, well, they're very cheap animals.

Hermit crabs might also be an inexpensive option?

Silver Nitrate posted:

Do you have any satanic leaf tail geckos? Those things are amazing. Last I checked (which was quite a few years ago) they were all wc coming out of madagascar and soon to stop showing up, but there was chatter that a few breeders were trying to get cb going to replace the wc trade.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I vote that you post all gecko photos. My favorites are African fat tails, as I have a runty derp bred by Greycious that is my best ambassador animal - too dumb to try to get away, to slow to care. I have to hand feed Kiff worms, it's hilarious.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

When I was around five, I found a teeeeeeeny tiny little frog in the yard outside (western PA, if someone knows what kind of frog this is?) and my dad helped me put together a little terrarium for him- a little plastic tub with a screen top, water bowl, some twigs and leaves and poo poo we found outside. I kept it in my room for a while- I'll have to ask my dad about the details, because we had him for a while and I guess someone had to be feeding him.

Long story short my sister (3 at the time) got into his tank and squeezed the life out of him. It scarred me for life. A few days later we got pet hamsters to stop the screaming.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool 80 new posts, must be some cool hatching pics and....and it's gone.

I'll get pics later. Leopard tortoise babies are so ANGRY looking when they hatch out.

Baby balls continue on. I had to move Saul from his small plastic shoebox to an actual tank, and now he's sulking but it should pass.

No more hognose. The female had a dozen eggs, and I left her to finish laying. When I woke in the morning she'd eaten them all and was dead. WTF, hognose Alice.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Sorry to hear about your hoggie :(

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PICK KINGSNAKES?!?! They pooed on me :(

Okay so first, this is a desert kingsnake

Hypomelanistic Florida king

Hypomelanistic Cali king

Abberant Cali king

Desert phase Cali king

And I don't really do geckos except for my colony of house geckos, so here is the one I was able to get a picture of. They're very shy and even faster.

Aaaaand in case any of you were thinking, wow Silver Nitrate has a tame green anaconda, its so pretty I should get one. THIS is what I have to deal with three times a week and he's just a baby.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Silver Nitrate posted:

Okay so first, this is a desert kingsnake

Hypomelanistic Florida king

Hypomelanistic Cali king

Abberant Cali king

Desert phase Cali king

And I don't really do geckos except for my colony of house geckos, so here is the one I was able to get a picture of. They're very shy and even faster.

Aaaaand in case any of you were thinking, wow Silver Nitrate has a tame green anaconda, its so pretty I should get one. THIS is what I have to deal with three times a week and he's just a baby.

That conda is going to be real fun when its turds are the size of a 2 liter Dr Pepper.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Silver Nitrate posted:

images
man, your kings are so nice, I especially like that Florida Hypo, ahhh. Good luck with that anaconda, that's a serious feeding bill, I commend you!

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Lol yeah he's gonna be fun. Have I shared the story of why on earth I have an anaconda?

There was this post in the local reptile group like, "I just got this snake and it needs to go to a new home or my mom is going to kick me out." And since it's a cool snake I figured I would grab it and try to find it a good home since I didn't want it to go to another idiot 15 year old kid. But lil dude is pretty chill and I like him. He's a male so he'll only get like 7-11feet, which I can deal with but I'm not sure that I'm going to keep him yet. I mean, that's still a really big snake.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Silver Nitrate posted:

Lol yeah he's gonna be fun. Have I shared the story of why on earth I have an anaconda?

There was this post in the local reptile group like, "I just got this snake and it needs to go to a new home or my mom is going to kick me out." And since it's a cool snake I figured I would grab it and try to find it a good home since I didn't want it to go to another idiot 15 year old kid. But lil dude is pretty chill and I like him. He's a male so he'll only get like 7-11feet, which I can deal with but I'm not sure that I'm going to keep him yet. I mean, that's still a really big snake.

Agreed, especially since you do have quite a handful of animals already, although your variety of snakes doesn't seem like too much work. I'd imagine your concern is more space and monetary, rather than time and effort. You should definitely post pictures of him, too, I bet he's gorgeous. I am definitely glad he fell into proper hands!

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a terrarium and some poison dart frogs, but I am a bit worried about two different things:

1. I am managing to (unintentionally) kill a peace lily plant which, from what I've heard, is somewhat of a hearty plant. So, I'm concerned about my ability to properly care for something in animalia, nevertheless something which I've heard has a tendency to keel over dead if you look at it too crossly. Plus, terrariums have plants too, and... well. Not going well for me so far.
2. I have a somewhat erratic schedule, and the room that they would live in is the one I use as my office. So the lights will be on, sometimes quite late, and with a highly varying schedule.

Should I abandon ship now, or should I continue researching?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I yell at you incoherently.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Hood Ornament posted:

This thread is worse than a hidden regurge on a hot day.

Also to add more - I was into critters and stuff at 5 but my parents didn't let me have my own pets. We did have a family fish tank and stuff that they let me "help" with, so maybe go that route and just let the kid get more active with taking care of your current pets?

I got a ball python when I was around 10, we kept it in a vertical tank with sand as substrate and one plant in it, guess how long it survived that until it dried out. (It was the early 90s and I was a clueless idiot.). That tank was used for leopard geckos by my uncle and we pretty much just put that poor snake in there.

Does anyone here currently own an uromastyx ornata and could tell me some basics about how much time they spend with it and the actual experience that comes with having one? I've finished going trough the book (there's a pretty good German book about their care, was linked in the old thread) but I would like some first hand opinions about them before getting one (this is an attempt to get more pretty pics posted, that's why I lurk in this thread!).
If I am getting one, would it be a mistake to get a full size tank right away for a juvie? A friend would help me build a wooden (better insulation) terrarium with sliding glass doors at the front, thinking 2.2m to 2.6m (6-8ft) long 50-80cm (2ish ft) deep and high.

I did find a reputable breeder across the border who knows how to handle the custom forms, so I could get one from a good source and legally import it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CaladSigilon posted:

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a terrarium and some poison dart frogs, but I am a bit worried about two different things:

1. I am managing to (unintentionally) kill a peace lily plant which, from what I've heard, is somewhat of a hearty plant. So, I'm concerned about my ability to properly care for something in animalia, nevertheless something which I've heard has a tendency to keel over dead if you look at it too crossly. Plus, terrariums have plants too, and... well. Not going well for me so far.
2. I have a somewhat erratic schedule, and the room that they would live in is the one I use as my office. So the lights will be on, sometimes quite late, and with a highly varying schedule.

Should I abandon ship now, or should I continue researching?

Keep some firebellied toads alive for a year and then graduate to dart frogs, if you're still interested.

I've kept darts for years. They can be tricky animals because they lull you into a false sense of security by looking like they're fine, and then suddenly die, sometimes without any indication of why. It can be a slow buildup of nutritional imbalance, or a single day of temperatures outside their habitable range, or a long-term illness you never knew about.

In terms of setting them up in a viv, it's not that hard. You do want a planted viv, with bromeliads and/or some pothos and with live moss, and probably a water feature. You need to control for humidity, which means either daily misting by hand, or a pump mister on a timer, or both. You need to keep their viv in a temperature-controlled room, but normal household temps are generally OK (something like a range of 65 to 75 degrees F). And you need a lighting setup that provides UVB inside the vivarium (most glass and plastic filters out UVB, so you have to either shine through screen/mesh, have lights inside the viv, or buy UVB-transparent material for your lid). The best thing to do is get that setup up and running and let it settle for several months, so the plants become established and you can be confident the vivarium's a stable habitat. You can also watch for pesky invaders like snails, slugs, spiders, etc. that are much harder to eliminate if you already have live frogs in there.

You need to feed dart frogs dusted fruit flies daily or every other day, and occasionally offer other food items for variety and nutritional completeness. You need to watch closely for signs of parasites, and you need to give them enough room that they don't become stressed. Some species can be kept in groups and some are better off as pairs or alone. You can neglect dart frogs harmlessly for a weekend, but not longer than that, so if you leave town a lot you need someone who can come in and feed them and check on them while you're gone. Also think about how you'll transport your frogs if you need to take them to an exotic vet. A small carrier with wet sphagnum moss and a lid with small holes is fine. This doubles as a temporary habitat while you're cleaning or replanting their main vivarium. You will want to figure out how to catch the frogs without injuring them: a lot of folks use a tube.

Most people suggest starting with Auratus - they're less expensive, larger, and fairly hardy. I started with Leucomelas, which are also a robust frog; our first pair of Leucs lived for over ten years.

But, I'll reiterate: if you've never kept frogs before, darts aren't the best choice as starter frogs. Firebellied toads cost like five bucks and are super-hardy; or, there are other small frogs that can be kept more easily than darts.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 5, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Plus with firebellies you'll learn if you actually like frog smells/sounds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah I should add, never buy dart frogs from a pet store, and avoid buying them at big reptile conventions as well. You want to purchase directly from a reputable captive breeder, one which can tell you exactly how old the frogs are, what locale their lineage is from, and will guarantee replacement if the frog dies within a few days of your purchase. Also, especially for your first frogs, buy full-grown adults, not just-got-their-legs juveniles. Far more likely to survive, less likely to have parasites, less likely to be stressed to the point of near-death by the trauma of traveling.

Herp show frogs are super-mega-stressed due to the small containers, bright lights, and handling by hundreds of attendees.

If you live in California I can hook you up with good suppliers.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

A lot of the big dart frog breeders attend the shows, so all that stuff is true except that - just research who you're buying from. The herp shows will say who's attending in advance, so a lot of time you can research a breeder, and then contact them and reserve the animals and pick them up at the show.

Definitely recommend buying a sexed pair of adults, though. They're more expensive, but most of the problems can avoided that way - they're almost certainly going to be healthy, since they've survived a year or more already, and you don't get same-sex aggression issues with a known pair. Less important to have a pair with some species vs. others, though, so being sexed doesn't matter then.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah I should add, never buy dart frogs from a pet store, and avoid buying them at big reptile conventions as well. You want to purchase directly from a reputable captive breeder, one which can tell you exactly how old the frogs are, what locale their lineage is from, and will guarantee replacement if the frog dies within a few days of your purchase. Also, especially for your first frogs, buy full-grown adults, not just-got-their-legs juveniles. Far more likely to survive, less likely to have parasites, less likely to be stressed to the point of near-death by the trauma of traveling.

Herp show frogs are super-mega-stressed due to the small containers, bright lights, and handling by hundreds of attendees.

If you live in California I can hook you up with good suppliers.

Can't believe no one reminded you:

It's very important to pet them daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Going to the Northern VA reptile expo tomorrow with my sights on another beardy and way to much money in my pocket. Has anyone here ever been to this show before?