Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Luigi Thirty posted:

I got a copy of Beau James' book with my Kindle Unlimited subscription. It opens with like a million forewords.

It's a legit story where he talks about meeting Dusty Rhodes when he was 8, but :laffo: this line:

His first show as a professional referee:

:stare::stare::stare:

The Tommy Ace in question:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tommy-Ace-Fan-Page/306257611642?sk=info&tab=page_info

Learn to protect yourself, kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ar fox vs. ach 2/27

that's pretty good

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yea ok posted:

ar fox vs. ach 2/27

that's pretty good

this card looks fun

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

reminder everyone tickets go on sale tomorrow at 8pm. tomorrow. you can trust me here.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Gosh..this is embarrassing...but Umm...can u or oatgan or whoever, pls, someone..tell me the best shows of the last 2 years? besides the battle of los angeles

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

yea ok posted:

Gosh..this is embarrassing...but Umm...can u or oatgan or whoever, pls, someone..tell me the best shows of the last 2 years? besides the battle of los angeles

PWG specifically or any indy fed?

If you haven't seen ROH's War of The Worlds, that would be something to watch.

edit; for PWG, it would be basically any show from last year.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

for pwg it would probably be eleven and mystery vortex

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

PWG specifically or any indy fed?

If you haven't seen ROH's War of The Worlds, that would be something to watch.

PWG sorry

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

yea ok posted:

DDT4 2013
All Star Weekend 9 Nights One and Two
Sold Our Soul for Rock N' Roll
ELEVEN
Black Cole Sun

imo.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Beau James is a bad wrassolor

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

yea ok posted:

PWG sorry

ELEVEN and Black Cole Sun. Please watch them and enjoy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Beau James posted:

Pro wrestling is one of only a few professions where you may be lucky enough to grow up and perform with your childhood heroes. Really, other than music or acting, I can’t think of any others. An NFL star’s career may last 10 years. A Major League Baseball star’s career may last 15 years, and a lucky few may reach 20 or just past that. If a wrestler keeps healthy and a good business mind, he can continue to be booked for as long as he wants.

Beau James posted:

Those of you who are long-time fans of mine and of Southern States Wrestling know that wrestling is the family business. My wife Misty and I not only wrestle but we also promote the events. I edit the weekly TV. My mother Fay and next-to-oldest sister Patricia run the concessions. My oldest sister Mia runs the box office. My nieces Katie and Belle (who is her Aunt Misty’s biggest fan) help with the chairs and merchandise. Their Dad is wrestler Steve Flynn. My father Roy has promoted towns, done ring announcing and is always there when we need help building or repairing a ring.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Beau James is a bad wrassolor

You don't know anything *stretches u in the locker room until you poop*

Beau James posted:

I have told you about Boogie Boy, so let me tell you about my other little brother, Claudio. I only saw Boogie Boy in the summer months, but I saw Claudio all the time. I first met him when he was just a little boy. He had a sense of humor like his Dad Soups. He was well-liked by everyone. He would come down with Soups to Fall Branch, and I would let him get in the ring before the matches. I was getting in there having matches with him when he was 10 years old. He wanted to be a wrestler, and I could see that he would be a good one. He always wanted to prove himself to the boys. Sometimes, he was too eager to prove himself. He would be at ringside and jump up in the bad guys ’ faces trying to provoke them. Claudio would not back down. I used to tell him, “One of these days someone will have to give you a beating to prove a point.”

This night in Princeton would be the night. In the main event, Boogie was wrestling a huge wrestler called The Warmachine, who at the time was my regular partner. The match was an “Anything Goes, New York City Street Fight.” It was wild and went all around the building. When they came back to the ring, Boogie was getting the upper hand when mine and Warmachine’s manager P.J. Sharp jumped into the ring. Boogie went to work on him and I came in and nailed Boogie from behind. As we were doing a number on Boogie, I felt someone hit me across the back. I turned around and there in the middle of the ring was Claudio. Without hesitation I decked him. The Machine dropped an elbow on him. I picked up a kendo stick that was lying in the ring and I wore Claudio out with it.

Fans and wrestlers came after us and to help this young teenage boy. When we got out of the ring, the fans came after us with chairs. When we made it to the back, one of the young wrestlers asked why we had done that. I was fast to tell him that if we had let Claudio get away with it, then the people would think any of them could do it to me or to any other wrestler. We had to stay in the dressing room for long time until all the people either left or were made to leave. One of the security guys told us they had to carry Claudio out on a stretcher. After the building was cleared, I made my way over to the other dressing room. I walked in and the only people left in the dressing room were Soups, Boogie, and Claudio.

I had no idea how Soups was going to be. After all, I had just beaten the tar out of his 14-year -old son. When I got in there , Soups was looking at the whelps and marks on his son’s back. I looked at my work, and Claudio looked up at me and said with a huge smile, “We almost started a riot.” I just laughed. He had just had his butt handed to him by three grown men and it was the happiest moment of his life. He had also earned the respect of the boys. From that day forward he was never looked upon as a kid again.

I wonder if this is on their Youtube channel?

quote:

Now before we go any further let me say this: I have had complete idiots give me ideas, and I have been able to toss them around and turn them into some entertaining TV or a match that the fans like, so I listen to everyone. Well, everyone but Bobo Brown. Zach gave me his answer: “What I would do is take that crown, poop in it, and then put it on his bald head.” That got a huge laugh out of me and K.C. Then as we rode a little further down the road, I asked K.C., “Could we get away with putting a turd on a bald head on TV?”

Here is how it went down on TV. Ken Bowles, a longtime area wrestler and SSW’s matchmaker at the time, was in the ring to enforce the stipulations from the Christmas night match. He first brought out Scotty Ace and told him that he knew how Dr. X won Christmas Night, but his hands were tied and he could not do anything but enforce the agreement. Scotty Ace was standing tall in the ring in his nice red jacket and Stetson Cowboy hat. I made my way to the ring wearing a shirt representing Ace’s Ohio group . I started telling Ace that I had had enough; he had beaten me for the last time, and now I was going to join up with his group. The crowd started yelling “No!” I had Ace sit in a chair and told him, “Now, I will crown you, Scotty Ace, the ‘New King of Kingsport.’” After Ace sat down, I went through this spiel and placed the crown I had been holding upside- down on his bald head.

Only a handful of people knew what was coming, and I was the only one in the ring who knew . Scotty was sitting there in all his glory as I crowned him. I said, “Wait a minute. I need to straighten it.” As I lifted it up, Ken Bowles saw a wad of wet toilet paper and a melted Hersey Bar sitting on that bald head. He yelled out, “Oh My God, EWWW” and shot out of the ring about to puke. I then grabbed the mic and said, “I will never join you and your men, because everyone knows you are a poo-poo head.”

On Thursday , after we taped the SSW program, I took the tape to the station to air that Sunday going into the following Friday. I left the station and went home, but before I could make the 15-minute trip home, the program director had called and left three messages. I called him back to hear, “You can’t show a turd on Sunday afternoon TV.” I then tried to dance around it, telling him it was just a melted candy bar, etc, but he wanted no part of it . I told him that we had to show it; our event next Friday was built around that “turd.” Back and forth we went until he agreed to show 2 seconds of the “turd” before blocking it off with “CENSORED” over it.

All week long I’m wondering if the “turd” would draw? Was it in too bad taste? What am I thinking using the idea of a four-year-old? That Friday night we did our regular every-other-Friday night event in Kingsport, and I think we were all surprised. Not only was the attendance up from first of January but it was better than Christmas night. During the third match, when Ace walked one of his men out, the crowd started in on him with all kinds of one-liners. So it all turned out well in the end. There is a lesson to be learned in this story. But I’m not sure what it is.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

yea ok posted:

If you want three top to bottom blowaway great shows I'd get I'd recommend Black Cole Sun, Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll, and All Star Weekend 9 Night 1. If you want more Grozz Nuy's list a few posts up is good though I would add Mystery Vortex 2.

i can mail you some of these if you want

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Haha the next PWG show appears to be called From Out of Nowhere. :h:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Mystery Vortex was better than Black Cole Sun because it wasn't the herald of a time when I have to watch loving roh to see redragon

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

roh is good

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

epitasis posted:

(Chris Castro is a considerably obese local-ish guy I think but I was really impressed by his agility and fire when I saw him work Johnny Gargano at their last show. )

He has a surprisingly good uppercut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo1ezUIcNQo&t=207s

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Solomonic posted:

Mystery Vortex was better than Black Cole Sun because it wasn't the herald of a time when I have to watch loving roh to see redragon

You don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W08HWeqwCKs

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
yeah :unsmith:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I just bought a ticket for From Out of Nowhere even though I thought I was going to skip this show, maybe just to get the taste of the Rumble out of my mouth. Gas is cheap as hell right now anyway, so gently caress it. I would like to see all those debuts, and Ricochet/Sydal should be amazing. I'll do the standard trip report.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I got my ticket too. Looks like they are already sold out.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think he does a kip-up too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i couldnt even get GA for pwg :(

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The_Rob posted:

I got my ticket too. Looks like they are already sold out.

I know they don't want to because they have a good relationship with the Legion post and Super Dragon likes the atmosphere at the building, but they really might have to look into running a bigger building soon. This is the second show in a row where even GA seating has sold out in under an hour, not to mention that they don't have Cole, O'Reilly, or even the reigning tag champs on the card for this one. I can't even imagine what trying to get tickets for BOLA is going to be like this year.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

minoru suzuki posted:

i couldnt even get GA for pwg :(

Because I bought you the tickets and front row was all that was available.

Hay guys what should I do for my first go at an indie show?!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

You're going to get hammered on cheap beer with us and watch grown men hit each other really hard.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

[citation_needed]

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The_Rob posted:

You're going to get hammered on cheap beer with us and watch grown men hit each other really hard.

One pitcher = 3 pints = $5

I think the limiting factor here is actually how long the beer line is.

...how long is the beer line?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Very long before the show and during intermission, if you don't mind going mid-match and watching the ring while standing in line it's not too bad.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oatgan posted:

If you want three top to bottom blowaway great shows I'd get I'd recommend Black Cole Sun, Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll, and All Star Weekend 9 Night 1. If you want more Grozz Nuy's list a few posts up is good though I would add Mystery Vortex 2.

i can mail you some of these if you want

Yea PM or DM or w/e

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

get selfies with Gillian Jacobs and Ron Funches

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

epitasis posted:

Rich Swann canceled his Dreamwave appearance but they've replaced him with Shynron.

Tommaso Ciampa vs. Moose
Marshe Rockett vs. Roddy Strong
Arik Cannon vs. Shynron vs. Chris Castro vs. Trevor Lee (Chris Castro is a considerably obese local-ish guy I think but I was really impressed by his agility and fire when I saw him work Johnny Gargano at their last show. Commentary said he also has a submission win over Ricochet in this promotion :psyduck: )
Matt Cage vs. Ariya Daivari (Matt Cage seems like the local ace for the Illinois promotions based on my v limited experience)

haha, that Castro bit. That last Dreamwave show was the first one I've seen, and I was psyched to see Gargano, and Castro comes out and I'm like "huh. ok." and he was fine and all, but dropping that thing about Ricochet made me laugh out loud. THAT Ricochet? I mean, I know you don't bring in guys to go over your local dudes, but it was just mind-boggling. THAT dude tapped Ricochet? Wrestling, man.

I do want to see Roddy throw Marshe into the rafters, though. Looks like a good card.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
https://twitter.com/MattJackson13/status/560976775472115712

Considering one of the Bucks used Monster Mafia and Beaver Boys as examples of wrestlers they thought were 'underrated' on the indie scene a couple months ago, I would say this is very encouraging for people who want Team Tremendous in PWG.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

One of my biggest regrets from when I was living in Berkeley was never going to a Hoodslam show. This sounds fuckin' awesome.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As a Brit, that sounds like a dream.

Our local tiny one allows you to bring alcohol which rules, and usually means we're very jolly and then there's a bar right next door for afterwards.

In London though, Rev Pro's York Hall doesn't allow drinks at ring side at all and their bar is expensive. Cost me about $30 for 2 double JDs (~2oz per drink). Ouch. We end up running out at intermission and hammering back a few pints in 15 minutes then hiding the remaining cans until we leave.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

The gently caress is a Drugz Bunny?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bugs bunny on drugs i'd wager

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TUS posted:

Haha the next PWG show appears to be called From Out of Nowhere. :h:
Just in time for the new FNM album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Grozz Nuy posted:

https://twitter.com/MattJackson13/status/560976775472115712

Considering one of the Bucks used Monster Mafia and Beaver Boys as examples of wrestlers they thought were 'underrated' on the indie scene a couple months ago, I would say this is very encouraging for people who want Team Tremendous in PWG.

Team Tremendous in PWG is one of those things I feel like is a match made in heaven and just a matter of time before they're over there.

• Locked thread