Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

GorfZaplen posted:

Here's a video of a dude dressed as Daisuke Jigen playing bass to Super Hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCxpjQdje94

This is pretty great. Dude's got skills.

Srice posted:

I've been going through the 3rd Lupin series lately and, well,

http://www.hulu.com/watch/535773

Everybody, watch episode 18. Or at the very least jump to the 18 minute mark and watch what happens. It's loving amazing. 80s Lupin owns.
Oh maaaan. 80s anime was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Freakazoid_ posted:

More like amazing! Although I bet she did that to get out of jail or something, which would fit her character.

Sounds like I need to pick this series up again.

She did but then it turned out that Officer Zenigata lied to get the pussy and made her do some other stuff too, so basically Officer Zenigata did a big own on her

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Professor Irony posted:

It's not great, but I honestly don't think Gold Babylon is that bad. I feel it's marginally better than Nostradamus, as the cinema films go.

I don't think it's the worst thing ever, and it does have its moments. But I feel like a lot of the film winds up being overly self-indulgent. Best example: that goddamn chase scene at the beginning, holy poo poo that feels like an eternity.

Mind you, I'd take it over plenty of the tv specials because for all its flaws Babylon isn't forgettable and that's a huge point in its favor.

Anyways even ignoring the quality, it's so drastically different from most other Lupin stuff. Lots of people check out Cagliostro as their introduction to the series and then they might see something like Babylon and get turned off. And that's a shame since overall pink jacket Lupin is pretty fun.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
you should watch Seijun Suzuki's other movies instead of Gold of Babylon, even though they aren't Lupin. But I like the Gold of Babylon ok

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've heard that Gold of Babylon goes down a lot better if you've seen some of his other stuff. I do plan on checking it out sometime, he sounds like a cool director based on what little I know about him.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
He made Branded To Kill which is my favorite movie ever

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh sick, it's on Hulu Plus and I never activated that free trial so I can catch it that way. Gonna check that poo poo out this weekend.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Srice posted:

It's really hard to find out what to watch after you get through the usual recommendations because boy howdy there is a fair share of dull, bland Lupin stuff.
What are the usual recommendations?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Castle of Cagliostro, Secret of Mamo, pretty much any of the TV series. Outside of that all the movies and specials just blend into one mire of bleh for me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

What are the usual recommendations?

Castle of Cagliostro is of course the one people always recommend first because hey, it's tough to go wrong with Miyazaki. After that there's not much of a general consensus but Secret of Mamo, Fuma Conspiracy, and Episode 0: First Contact are a few others I generally see tossed around. And of course the recent tv series Fujiko Mine is talked about a lot for a reason; it was a big shakeup from the usual Lupin formula.

After that the usual recs get kinda hazy and people just say "check out the various tv series I guess". But they're not wrong since all of the tv series are cool in their own way!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I liked Crisis in Tokyo but it's been so long since I've seen it that I'm probably remembering it being better then it was.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
i really like the lupin on adult swim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usyB8mMBSdU

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
Red vs. Green For The One Scene. 1:07:45.

Also, I've heard Bye Bye, Liberty is probably the closest in quality to the TV series, also being the first of the TV specials made.

Here's a neat, unfinished pilot for anyone who hasn't seen it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqriwWB_qwI

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

That pilot was interesting, but I'm glad it never came to be. Lupin's great x 3 grandson going straight, and hanging out with a Jigen and Goemon (a Samurai Trooper Goemon at that)?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rudoku posted:

That pilot was interesting, but I'm glad it never came to be. Lupin's great x 3 grandson going straight, and hanging out with a Jigen and Goemon (a Samurai Trooper Goemon at that)?

IIRC it was gonna be a French-Japanese co-production so I guess the idea is they didn't want to put out a cartoon where a thief is the good guy? Would have been neat to see what Lupin's future would have been if that got a full series.

While we're talking about pilots, everyone should take a look at the original Lupin III pilot, from all the way back in '69! It's pretty neat stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2aaLMme644

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Wow, pilot Lupin sure likes to blow stuff up.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dexie posted:

I liked Crisis in Tokyo but it's been so long since I've seen it that I'm probably remembering it being better then it was.

tokyo crisis is definitely on the upper end of the tv specials, or at least on the 'not unbelievable garbage' end like pretty much every special from 2007 to 2014

i also definitely recommend first contact too

for my list of random specials i like because i wanna hear other dudes thoughts on them:
missed by a dollar ($1 money wars)
dead or alive
return the treasure
stolen lupin

dead or alive is randomly really astonishingly well animated which is why it's on the list. i read somewhere that it almost shut down lupin forever and bankrupted monkey punch/made him almost lose the license to the character which is pretty loving crazy

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

you should watch Seijun Suzuki's other movies instead of Gold of Babylon, even though they aren't Lupin. But I like the Gold of Babylon ok

I liked both Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter, but based on them, I can't see much of Suzuki's style in Gold Babylon, to be honest. I'd be curious to know exactly how much involvement he actually had in the film.

Fereydun posted:

dead or alive is randomly really astonishingly well animated which is why it's on the list. i read somewhere that it almost shut down lupin forever and bankrupted monkey punch/made him almost lose the license to the character which is pretty loving crazy

It's not the most original and the character art is '90s as hell, but I really like that one. I think it's still the best Lupin feature film since Mamo.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If anyone is interested, a couple of years ago a guy started scanning their Lupin volumes he only got 1-4, 6, 7, 10 and 12 done but they're there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bels80sxjh0cy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've had Jigen's Gravestone for a couple months now and I haven't watched it yet. Perhaps this weekend I shall. Thank you for reminding me to appreciate Jigen, thread.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I'm a little late to the thread but I am so ready for the era of blue jacket and Jigen's Gravestone is one of my favorite pieces on animation to come out for years.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Words can scarcely express my desire for blue jacket to not suck.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fiend Computer posted:

I'm a little late to the thread but I am so ready for the era of blue jacket and Jigen's Gravestone is one of my favorite pieces on animation to come out for years.

Was really good. Lupin is really good. Life is really good. I love everyone.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Just spotted this on the Lupin Encyclopedia forum. It's only a few seconds, but it's the first footage showing blue jacket in motion:

http://lupincentral.tumblr.com/post/111900713013/and-heres-a-very-quick-look-at-the-show-in

Seems to confirm that the tone will be more light hearted than the Yamamoto/Koike strain, but it looks hopeful that the art and animation are being handled well.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Am I alone in hating that Fujiko series with all the owls? I really wanted to like it but the pacing was just sooo slooow and it made less sense the longer it went on.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dr_Amazing posted:

Am I alone in hating that Fujiko series with all the owls? I really wanted to like it but the pacing was just sooo slooow and it made less sense the longer it went on.

I liked it for being different, but fun in a more laid back sort of way? The whole thing felt kinda subdued, and I think I enjoyed it so long as it's just one series. If it had become the standard I'd have disliked it more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr_Amazing posted:

Pretty much, it was the best Lupin thing since the 80's.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I can see not enjoying the last arc of the series, but I think it isn't quite right to say it's bad.

Professor Irony posted:

Just spotted this on the Lupin Encyclopedia forum. It's only a few seconds, but it's the first footage showing blue jacket in motion:

http://lupincentral.tumblr.com/post/111900713013/and-heres-a-very-quick-look-at-the-show-in

Seems to confirm that the tone will be more light hearted than the Yamamoto/Koike strain, but it looks hopeful that the art and animation are being handled well.

Also this is looking good. As much as I like the Fujiko series and the Jigen OVAs, I like that that seems more lighthearted silliness.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only thing I didn't really like about Fujiko Mine was the bad guy being the shoujo looking dude with a gay-crush on Zenigata.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

I spent the whole series waiting for a Rose of Versailles joke about Oscar, but it never came...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol I totally forgot he was called Oscar.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

I love that you call Fujiko slow when the director's other series, Michiko to Hatchin, is so slow that pretty much everyone who's seen it is like "yea that rules but I never finished it". I think it really helped Fujiko that it was episodic for the most part, you get a great episode with each of the characters and it can take it's time to tell the overall story.

But yea, I mentioned it earlier in the thread but The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is a little disjointed as an adventure series, but really shines if you take it as Fujiko occupying different roles women have in stories and making it her own. Maybe that kind of meta thing isn't what you're looking for in a Lupin series, but I think it's so special and refreshing that it's worth being a little weird. It also helps that it really does understand a lot of what makes Lupin tick, even as it goes on to do its own thing.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Whatever you guys do

Do not

repeat

Do not

watch the live action movie from last year. It tried really hard to be The Fast and the Lupinous and failed at being either. I watched it on a plane for free and went "Well. That was certainly a movie."

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This thread has the best title in ADTRW. I think that means I need to watch more Lupin than the handful of episodes I have. Maybe the Fujiko thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do it, it's good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Is there a good legal way to watch it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think Funi has it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The bluray set is less than $40 on Amazon, I've no idea if it's steaming anywhere.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fujiko and a good chunk of the various other Lupin tv series are all on Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are any of the other movies as good as Castle of Cagliostro? Would like to see some other stuff before I devote the time to a whole series.

• Locked thread