Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Given descriptions and my desire for something short to LP, I'm considering going with the Sorcerer King suggestion, although I'll toss it out as a question- anybody willing to be conned into getting that for me on Steam? In service to that: I can be found as Steel Valkyrie on Steam, and certainly would be willing to talk to anybody who looked me up on the platform.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

nweismuller posted:

Given descriptions and my desire for something short to LP, I'm considering going with the Sorcerer King suggestion, although I'll toss it out as a question- anybody willing to be conned into getting that for me on Steam? In service to that: I can be found as Steel Valkyrie on Steam, and certainly would be willing to talk to anybody who looked me up on the platform.

I'll hook you up, fam. u and me go back since cube times

invite sent, lemme know if u get

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 23, 2016

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'll hook you up, fam. u and me go back since cube times

invite sent, lemme know if u get

Thanks, much appreciated. Invite accepted.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Unexpected news that may be of interest to those who followed my first LP: the new Master of Orion is going to hit Early Access on the 26th. I'll be at my parents' for the weekend then, but I anticipate testing it out when I return. Depending on how I like the new game, I may use that for my next LP, or next after a short one of Sorcerer King. Either way, I don't intend to LP it until it's out of Early Access.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

nweismuller posted:

Unexpected news that may be of interest to those who followed my first LP: the new Master of Orion is going to hit Early Access on the 26th. I'll be at my parents' for the weekend then, but I anticipate testing it out when I return. Depending on how I like the new game, I may use that for my next LP, or next after a short one of Sorcerer King. Either way, I don't intend to LP it until it's out of Early Access.

Wait, there's a new Master of Orion?

*googles*

Oh... oh my god. They're making a new Master of Orion. I thought for certain the abomination that was MoO 3 had killed the franchise forever. :psyduck:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
New Masters of Orion? Well, I'm gonna be keeping a very close eye on that! I think that'd be a fantastic idea for a future LP choice

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Oh God it's out on Early Access a day earlier than anticipated. Well, there goes my day.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
My blind LP of Sorcerer King has now started: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766181

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Stellaris has had a release date of May 9th announced. Expect the first post of a Stellaris LP shortly after its release, while my Sorcerer King LP has been abandoned as a Poor Idea. In the interim, discuss amongst yourself whether you believe that you'd rather see a Fanatical Individualist, Materialist society, or a Fanatical Individualist, Pacifist society, as far as my governmental Ethos goes. Stellaris permits the definition of an Ethos for your government (and for segments of the population), with elements drawn from four different axes- Pacifism-Militarism, Spiritualism-Materialism, Xenophilia-Xenophobia, and Individualism-Collectivism. Three points are available for Ethos when you define your race and government, with a normal commitment to one axis costing one point and a fanatical commitment costing two points. It seems clear that Materialism reflects a commitment to hard science, evidence, and secularism- the University of Planet is probably a Fanatical Materialist government, for example.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

Stellaris has had a release date of May 9th announced. Expect the first post of a Stellaris LP shortly after its release, while my Sorcerer King LP has been abandoned as a Poor Idea. In the interim, discuss amongst yourself whether you believe that you'd rather see a Fanatical Individualist, Materialist society, or a Fanatical Individualist, Pacifist society, as far as my governmental Ethos goes. Stellaris permits the definition of an Ethos for your government (and for segments of the population), with elements drawn from four different axes- Pacifism-Militarism, Spiritualism-Materialism, Xenophilia-Xenophobia, and Individualism-Collectivism. Three points are available for Ethos when you define your race and government, with a normal commitment to one axis costing one point and a fanatical commitment costing two points. It seems clear that Materialism reflects a commitment to hard science, evidence, and secularism- the University of Planet is probably a Fanatical Materialist government, for example.

Just to be clear, you're not offering UoP as an option though in the above, right? You're offering Individualist (fanatic) + {Materialist,Pacifist} (normal), from my reading. Is that right?

Either way, let's go with materialism since it's about science.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

nweismuller posted:

I'm going to suggest Fanatical Individualist, Pacifist. It seems more in line with your thematic interests... at least, that's how it seems to me from reading this LP.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Nietzschean posted:

Just to be clear, you're not offering UoP as an option though in the above, right? You're offering Individualist (fanatic) + {Materialist,Pacifist} (normal), from my reading. Is that right?

Either way, let's go with materialism since it's about science.

That is correct. I was just pointing out that Materialism is about 'hard evidence and logic', not about 'he who dies with the most toys', as some might assume from the name.

E: I suppose I might *consider* Xenophilia as well, but Pacifism and Materialism seem more logical for the alien race I have brewing in my head.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 16, 2016

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

poo poo, let's be Dawkins. Materialist.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

nweismuller posted:

E: I suppose I might *consider* Xenophilia as well, but Pacifism and Materialism seem more logical for the alien race I have brewing in my head.

Is it too late to institute Hug-a-Bug Day?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

AJ_Impy posted:

Is that a vote for Xenophilia? Clarity, please.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

nweismuller posted:

Is that a vote for Xenophilia? Clarity, please.

Yes, but mainly an excuse to use the quote under your avatar. Seemed apropos.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AJ_Impy posted:

Swapping to this Xenophilia ticket.

40k xenos :airquote: fanart :airquote: not required

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Xenophilia

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All this heresy makes me think...

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Changing my vote from Materialism to Xenophilia, on the condition that you use the one mammalian portrait that you asked me about earlier.

In the shining brightness of the far future there is only cute.

thsgrn
May 6, 2007
heck yeah voting for Xenophiliac Individualists.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
After consideration on what I would like to do, I think I am inclining to Fanatical Individualists, Materialists, with an Indirect Democracy and with inherent Traits of Intelligent, Quick Learners, Enduring (which is to say, 'long lifespans'), Slow Breeders, and Weak. Expect high cash incomes, good science output, and leaders of particularly high quality; expect also complete inability to use slavery effectively, slower population growth, and poor ground troops.

E: With that Ethos, I could hypothetically also be a Direct Democracy- I'll look at things a little more when the game is out.

E again: Hmmm. It appears it's likely that's not a valid build; there's a limit on number of Traits. I may go Intelligent, Thrifty, Slow Breeders, and Weak, then.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 18, 2016

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
It might be possible for me to provide a teaser on the background, history, and biology of my Stellaris species and civilisation, if people are interested in something to discuss over the following month while we wait for Stellaris to release. Alternately, I can save the writing for when the game's out, and surprise people, depending on what they prefer. Be assured that we're definitely looking at me launching an LP shortly after game launch itself.

thsgrn
May 6, 2007
I'd be interested in the teaser!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
In the year 1020 Imperial Reckoning, counted from the foundation of the Ilurhagian Empire by the Orthodox Church of Rain and Sea, the Daeran species looks to the stars. The Alliance of Free States, a customs, extradition, and defense organisation formed by agreement between Individualist democracies based on Ledan ideas, has united every government on the continent-islands of Ilurhag and Reyd, and the vast island chain of Ared Leda that links the two continents. Only the underdeveloped continent of Aral, alone in the vast oceans of the southern hemisphere, remains beyond the Alliance of Free States. The Ledan Union and Ilurhagian Republic that was formed after revolution in the Ilurhagian Empire are first amongst the states in the vast alliance, while the Reydish states and smaller Ilurhagian states follow behind the two great powers of the Alliance. Seven billion of the ten billion Daera on the world of Lared are united under the democratic states of the Alliance.

With the discovery of the theory behind warp drive and with the promise of the vast resources present in this arm of the galaxy, commercial and political interests in the Alliance have been distracted from the long-term task of bringing freedom and development to Aral, which continues to languish under a patchwork of corrupt oligarchies, Technocratic states that have outlived the collapse of the Reydish Technocratic Coalition, and petty warlords and pirates. Even the riches of the Celed system alone represent a prospect to tempt the greed, ambition, and curiousity of many in the Alliance, let alone the opportunity available to mine and study in the stars beyond. Daera still waiting in the egg will reach adulthood in a society that stretches across many stars, even if not a single other world with the vast oceans and breathable atmosphere of Lared is ever found. If another ocean jewel like Lared is near enough- then perhaps those youth still in the egg may grow up beneath distant skies and feel the rains of a far planet on their scales.

The Alliance has safeguarded the free Daera of Lared for two hundred years, ever since the Ledan Union and Ilurhagian Republic first joined together in friendship, united by their Individualist ideals. Now it will safeguard free Daera beyond Lared, as they move to seek the riches and knowledge of a wider galaxy.

Please go ahead and ask questions or discuss the teaser- I'm waiting a bit impatiently for the game to come out, and it'll be entertaining for me in the interim.

thsgrn
May 6, 2007
Huh. Ocean-dwelling lizards?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

thsgrn posted:

Huh. Ocean-dwelling lizards?

They're air-breathing lizards native to a world with 92% hydrographic coverage and high precipitation. Their three 'continents' are distinctly small by Earth standards. Also worth noting that despite being egg-layers, they lay eggs singly, infrequently, and take a long time to have the young develop in the egg until they're ready to hatch, so they actually have a slower reproductive cycle than humans.

E: They are, yes, best-adapted for 'ocean' worlds- they thrive best in a water-rich, mild climate such as supplied by oceanic coastlines in high hydrographic coverage worlds. Earthlike worlds have vast stretches too arid for their comfortable habitation, and tend to provide harsher seasonal variance than they're used to, although Earthlike worlds are still going to be relatively hospitable for them- a fair stretch of Earthlike coastline will still be fairly habitable for Daera.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 3, 2016

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
OK, update here: Stellaris is not currently in a state where I'd be happy LPing it- there are things yet to be fixed. I have recently been messing with the old strategy game Imperialism, which I believe I should be able to present in my own fashion relatively quickly. Anybody here interested in seeing me present Imperialism as my next LP?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

OK, update here: Stellaris is not currently in a state where I'd be happy LPing it- there are things yet to be fixed. I have recently been messing with the old strategy game Imperialism, which I believe I should be able to present in my own fashion relatively quickly. Anybody here interested in seeing me present Imperialism as my next LP?

There is nothing at all wrong with getting eradicated by the Advanced Start fanatical purifiers next door. :colbert:

And sure!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Sounds good to me.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Yeah, sounds interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The beginning of the Imperialism LP is now up at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782812 I hope to see many of you there!

• Locked thread