Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
"I'll improve your thresholds!"

I noticed something weird recently. Any terrible Muse lyric suddenly becomes brilliant and quirky and savage if you imagine Bjork singing it instead. I don't know why, but it's true.

"Embedded spies / brainwashing our children / to be meaaaaan ~~"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Why would I want to hear those drill sergeant samples every time I listen to that song? Oh, that's right, I don't.

'Progressive' bands love to do this. Don't put lengthy vocal bits in your songs! Listenability is infinitely more important than your 'concept.'

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Popcorn posted:

I noticed something weird recently. Any terrible Muse lyric suddenly becomes brilliant and quirky and savage if you imagine Bjork singing it instead. I don't know why, but it's true.

:lol:
And you're so right about the songwriting.

well the SEKDEK stuff ended up looking pretty cool after all.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well I guess anyone who expected Muse to move past the whole "ironic paramilitary anthem" thing was wrong in the worst possible way, huh?

More dubstep please.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Popcorn posted:

And she attacks me like a Leo
When my heart is split like Rio

Great Vespertine b-side, that one!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
The song's also on Spotify.

And on the first listen, it's doing nothing for me. The riff itself is nothing special, and does this thing have a chorus at all? "I hope it's going to grow on me" etc. etc., but I must say I agree with Popcorn. When did their riffs and vocal melodies become so pedestrian?

(Answer: right around "The Resistance")

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Slate Action posted:

Why would I want to hear those drill sergeant samples every time I listen to that song? Oh, that's right, I don't.

'Progressive' bands love to do this. Don't put lengthy vocal bits in your songs! Listenability is infinitely more important than your 'concept.'

Exception: Us and Them (even if it isn't all that lengthy really)

This song is abysmal.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I can't believe Muse got famous political cartoonist, David Dees, to do their album art.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I can't believe Muse got famous political cartoonist, David Dees, to do their album art.

Not near enough mind-control references. Dees must've blown them all on the Disturbed album. I'd say it's a Rall, but the art actually looks professional.

That song is exactly what a Muse song with that album art, with Drill Sergeant as a temp name, in 2015, is going to be.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 13, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
People don't like the art? It's the Storm Thorgersonest art possible without being a massive sculpture in the middle of a desert. It's cool

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Awful cover and 6 minutes of "NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD". Nice first shot.

Hedrigall posted:

People don't like the art? It's the Storm Thorgersonest art possible without being a massive sculpture in the middle of a desert. It's cool

You're wrong. For starters, there's nothing floating in mid-air with a flabbergasted passerby staring at it, or a normal person with a normal thing that is improbably large.

I'd classify this as "post-stroke Thorgerson-esque"

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
I thought everyone knew Matt Mahurin did all the art. His stuff is pretty loving amazing.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Deathlove posted:

That song is exactly what a Muse song with that album art, with Drill Sergeant as a temp name, in 2015, is going to be.
No, the worst part is that's an entirely seperate song.

but Mr Drill Sergeant isn't on the album version of Psycho! (going by Spotify)

e: ah nevermind, just the intro. And actually using logic, one can assume [Drill Sergeant] is the same intro. And [JFK] is probably something like 1:15 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf5bagQ5LOE
man how good was the 06-07 tour...

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 13, 2015

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Paperback Writer posted:

No, the worst part is that's an entirely seperate song.

but Mr Drill Sergeant isn't on the album version of Psycho! (going by Spotify)

Oh thank christ

E: we listening to the same track? Only drill sergeant removed is the intro one

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 13, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

Oh thank christ

E: we listening to the same track? Only drill sergeant removed is the intro one
haha ah gently caress... I was quick to post or must have tuned it out of my brain...

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yeahhh...the song is ok. Nice big fat riff but the song itself is a little too simple. Not much of a chorus there either. The bassline during the stupid drillsargeant bit is really cool with a nice fuzzy sleaze to it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The art is good if you imagine the control sticks as dongs, because then it's saying that men are controlled by their dongs and it is deep.

The riff in that song is cool though.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
The riff is nice on its own, but I feel like it loses something on being played on repeat through the whole song without much change other than a key change I think.

Trying to put my finger on what modern Muse singles or whatever it is that I don't like. With this and Uprising and Survival, am I alone in finding in particular what I dislike seems to be these slow, repetitive marches that keep a relatively slow tempo and seem there as stadium crowd pleasers/sing along but aren't actually that interesting to just to on their own.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Fat Turkey posted:

Trying to put my finger on what modern Muse singles or whatever it is that I don't like.

• Shocking lyrics. Lyrics were never a Muse strong point, but early in their career the lyrics were either abstract to the point of irrelevance or delivered in incomprehensible falsetto making them irrelevant. Now... well, I could write a few thousand words on this subject alone
  • An ongoing fetishising of militaristic imagery so vague it ends up more fascist than the things it ostensibly protests. As one YouTube comment puts it: "When he sings "They will not control us", I do not know what he is talking about."
  • Embarrassing ventures into electronic and orchestral music that are either shocking Eurotrash or bland Hollywood
  • A failure to come up with song structures that make sense of their ideas - I'm not saying every song needs a verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structure, but maybe all of Muse's do
  • Increasingly conservative, risk-averse songwriting (ironic considering the scoped-up ambition of their music, if by "ambition" you simply mean scale and expense)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I actually really liked Madness and Panic Station from their last album (probably the only things I liked from that album) and were good poppy singles, but this and poo poo like Uprising are just so loving bad.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

muse's lyrics and vocals have gotten so bad its to the point where if you simply removed them completely the song would be much better. The lyrics have always been bad but at least bellamys vocals covered up some of that when he actually sang

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
My problem with late-era Muse is that any sense of sarcasm or irony is gone, everything is delivered so sincerely. If there's a sense of levity, even the slightest bit where you feel like Bellamy might understand the overwrought seriousness of his lyrics, lines like "your assssssssssssssss" and "it's time the fat cats had a heart attack" would be a lot better. Before, the bombast or intricacy of different songs helped distract from how bad the lyrics can sound at times, but now there's nothing preventing you from pricking up your ears and wondering what the gently caress they were thinking when they wrote some of these songs.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

Trying to put my finger on what modern Muse singles or whatever it is that I don't like. With this and Uprising and Survival, am I alone in finding in particular what I dislike seems to be these slow, repetitive marches that keep a relatively slow tempo and seem there as stadium crowd pleasers/sing along but aren't actually that interesting to just to on their own.

That was what struck me the last time I saw them live, the rhythm was stuck at midtempo march for most of the set.

quote:

An ongoing fetishising of militaristic imagery so vague it ends up more fascist than the things it ostensibly protests. As one YouTube comment puts it: "When he sings "They will not control us", I do not know what he is talking about."

I think it says something that Glenn Beck is apparantly a big Muse fan.

Gestalt Illusion
May 28, 2013

Muse should really go back to writing about aliens and/or gibberish like Plug in Baby.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I listen to this poo poo and then go back and listen to Megalomania and wonder what the gently caress happened. Like, it's not even like they can't pull off pseudo political commentary either. Dead Star was really really good.

Maybe 2001 was just a really good year for them.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All you motherfuckers decrying the death of the old Muse, go suck a big motherfucking droney dick: http://youtu.be/D0jHUwLq7OI

(Brand new song, not Psycho. Will update with better video later.)

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

... :2bong:

quote:

Belfast Ulster Hall
15 March 2015
------------------
Psycho
Plug In Baby
Fury
Uno
Interlude
Hysteria
Stockholm Syndrome + Micro Cuts riff outro
Hyper Music (Voodoo Child riff intro)
Agitated + riff outro
Supermassive Black Hole
Assassin (tease)
Unnatural Selection
Uprising (extended outro)
Knights of Cydonia (Man with a Harmonica intro)

Encore:
Animals
Time Is Running Out
Reapers
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CALO99IWwAAu2f4.jpg

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

All you motherfuckers decrying the death of the old Muse, go suck a big motherfucking droney dick: http://youtu.be/D0jHUwLq7OI

Are you suggesting that old Muse was 80s hair metal with right-hand tapping solos?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

You need to step away from the keyboard for a while.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I can die happy if I never hear Assassin again.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_gz7i5yQCs A bit clearer!

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=596ISCHL9-A 1080p

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 16, 2015

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

So we have Uprising v2 and an 80s hair metal song. New album is looking promising!

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

From the sound of things, Reapers(just like their other new songs) has good bits like some of the guitar parts and the verse(?) but it's such a mess of ideas thrown at the wall that doesn't really make sense.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcpCDJelasU

Another recording of Reapers. This one has really good audio quality, but it's missing the first verse/chorus. There's some funky background vocals during the solo at 2:00, I kinda like them. I'm really looking forward to hearing the studio version! I hope they also keep in the outro with the air raid siren.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Honestly, '80s hair metal is a good look for them so I don't really have anything against this. See also "Guiding Light" for their monster ballad.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sir Lemming posted:

Honestly, '80s hair metal is a good look for them so I don't really have anything against this. See also "Guiding Light" for their monster ballad.

Guiding Light was hot garbage, this one seems really good and reminds me at times of the odd thing off OoS

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I agree (to a point) with the lyrics issue, and I think it does tie into the same military/facist rebellion stance they are pushing. OoS has generally nonsense lyrics, Absolution has ‘legible’ lyrics but played to a general end-of-the-world/desperate times theme, and BHaR is where some political stuff comes in (Take a Bow, Soldier’s Poem, Assassin, Exo-Politics), but the music is generally still good enough to make it fun. The only one of that shortlist there that I skip is Assassin, but then again, I wouldn’t put any of those amongst BHaR best songs.

The military thing is an irritation and an odd source of inspiration. Maybe if Muse actually got behind political messages like Russell Brand does (not saying what he does is good or bad or publicity or whatever, but at least goes on marches and regularly posts about topics in detail, not generic soundbites). As irritating as Chris Martin or his music may be, I don’t doubt he tries to make some change and a difference. But Muse wheel around on tours telling us about THEM AGAINST US and FIGHT and DRONES as rich people who don’t actively go any further to make a difference. OK, so maybe they don’t actually mean it and it’s all tongue in cheek. I could live with that, if the music made up for the disingenuous lyrics.

I actually don’t mind some of their forages into electronic, and while initially I was a bit surprised at the dislike of orchestral, on second thought I realise I agree with you because I separate classical from that. I like Exogenesis and keeping classical music in there, but then I think of the use of an orchestra in the intro to Survival and agree it is the Hollywood schmaltz you described. So more Rachmaninov and Bach and less cliché strings. I actually don’t mind the two final tracks from the 2nd Law (I sometimes use them to run to), but they’re not if you strip them as an experiment and strip Chris’ songs because they are absolutely awful, there’s not enough solid songs to back some experimentation gone bad. I think had they been tagged onto a longer, better album they would have been more acceptable.

And I’m all over you with the lack of structure for their ideas, and somewhat with the risk-averse approach (which is a bit unfair when they have TRIED to break away and experiment with electronic and funk and stuff, its just that it didn’t work). When they seemed to want to make a ‘standard’ Muse song, that’s where the risk aversion comes in, and there seems to be a focus on ‘will this work in a stadium’, medium tempo marches (I said slow before but correcting to medium) with a middle 8 which used to contain good solos, but now is just the main riff repeated like he’s forgotten the words to a secret verse.

Not going to think too much about Reapers until I hear the studio version. I’ve happily seen Muse live twice (HAARP and Resistance) but the recent albums put me off doing so again and so I’ll largely be listening to them on headphones, so I want to know what that’s like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Popcorn posted:

• An ongoing fetishising of militaristic imagery so vague it ends up more fascist than the things it ostensibly protests. As one YouTube comment puts it: "When he sings "They will not control us", I do not know what he is talking about."

I don't listen to Muse at all but the kinds of imagery and language they seem to be using are largely taken from conspiracy theories, and fascism is basically what happens when conspiracy theory thinking is applied to politics, so there's a stronger connection there than just vague militarism.

• Locked thread