Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What are peoples' thoughts on TeamCity vs Jenkins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

you should stick with what you have

What I have is four developers trying to do weird patch jobs for each deploy. I think anything would be better than that.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
After further examination of the problem, we actually just want to a build server that can do tests on the build before the code can be sent to the version control server. And just have a button on the build server that spits out the newest version, that we'll manually deploy.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I don't know what it's called, I just want to be able to click a button in IntelliJ that sends the code to TeamCity or whatever. That builds it, runs all the tests and verifies policies and, if it's supergreen, passes the code along to SVN.

EDIT: I think JetBrains calls it a delayed commit.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I get an error when I use a Visual Studio Test task in my build pipeline in ADO. I have a unit test project using xUnit and targeting .NET Core 3.0.

code:
[xUnit.net 00:00:00.00] xUnit.net VSTest Adapter v2.4.0 (64-bit .NET Core 3.0.2)
[xUnit.net 00:00:00.90]   Discovering: Unittest.xUnit
[xUnit.net 00:00:00.95]   Discovered:  Unittest.xUnit
[xUnit.net 00:00:00.95]   Starting:    Unittest.xUnit
[xUnit.net 00:00:01.14]   Finished:    Unittest.xUnit
  √ Unittest.Test1 [114ms]
  &#8730; Unittest.Test2 [< 1ms]
  &#8730; Unittest.Test3 [< 1ms]
  &#8730; Unittest.Test3 [< 1ms]
  &#8730; Unittest.Test4 [< 1ms]
  &#8730; Unittest.Test5 [< 1ms]
##[error]Unable to find d:\a\1\s\Project\Test\Unittest.xUnit\obj\Release\netcoreapp3.0\Unittest.xUnit.deps.json. Make sure test project has a nuget reference of package "Microsoft.NET.Test.Sdk".
The project already has a nuget reference to that package. I saw some posts where people got it working by changing the target framework from .NET Framework to .NET Core, by my project is already .NET Core.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I have a couple of .NET MVC/WebAPI projects, both Core and Framework on Azure, calling each other with http requests. I'd like my build pipeline to start these web services, run some integration tests, and kill the services/servers when they're done.
How do I do this?

Some of the services make external calls that I use Moq to mock in my unit tests.
How would I do the same thing in those integration tests?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Can you run the environment in containers? If so, docker compose can help you here.

I don't know. I don't know a lot about Azure yet. Most of the apps are pretty simple MVC apps.

If not, how do you run the integration tests locally? If you have to manually go and run things and set up an environment that will make the tests pass, then that's a problem. Solve it for a developer's local machine and you've solved the problem universally. Generally, running integration tests after deployment against a dev environment is an okay approach for this kind of thing. Also keep in mind that integration tests are mostly intended to verify that services are communicating properly -- failure means "these things can't talk". Proving they can talk in a local environment isn't giving you much of a signal.

We haven't made any integration tests yet. I'm trying to get the team to prioritize it :).

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Containers / Docker Compose have nothing to do with Azure.

Don't prioritize integration tests, prioritize unit tests. Unit tests verify correct behavior of units of code (classes, methods, etc). Integration tests verify that the correctly-working units of code can communicate to other correctly-working units of code (service A can talk to service B). Both serve an important purpose, but the bulk of your test effort should go into unit tests.

We've mad a lot of unit tests. I haven't checked the actual percent, but our code coverage is pretty good.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I have a C# solution on ADO with a bunch of projects, some target .NET Framework and some target .NET Core. On my own machine, all bins are put in the /bin/ folder, but when ADO builds it, the core projects get put in /bin/Release/ or something similar, which breaks some of my scripts. How do I fix this?

EDIT: Fixed it. One of the projects' csproj only had a debug conditional with an absolute path, the others had one for both configurations.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 20, 2020

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
We've got 10+ build pipelines in ADO with solutions that include a bunch of common projects. I'd like to trigger these builds on changes to the individual projects, but also the common projects. Is there a better way of setting up some trigger dependencies instead of adding all the paths manually?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Use versioned packages for common dependencies. You shouldn't force consumers of common libraries to take a new version of a common library, they should opt in on their own schedule.

That's the plan for the future, but in this initial phase we're making a shitload of changes.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Even still, isn't it more chaotic to always use broken dependencies? Why not pin package versions?

But that would make sense, and our customer doesn't like that kind of thing.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What is it called in Azure DevOps when committed code gets rejected if it doesn't build and pass all tests? People from our team break our pipelines all the time and I'm sick of it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

A good thing(tm).

Thank you, but I can't find out how to set it up if I don't know what they call it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
We use dotnet pack to build nuget packages. How do I add a branch name to the package name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

I would strongly recommend putting the branch name in the version tag instead (eg "1.2.3.4-bozorsexperiment"), or in some other annotation. It's a fairly conventional assumption that project name == package name == root namespace, and while I don't think you would actually break stuff by doing things differently, it's highly unintuitive.

The only reason I can think of to put the branch name in the package name is so that you can add two different branches as dependencies at the same time, which I dearly hope is not necessary, as it could easily lead to a mess of old unmaintained branches sticking around because other projects depend on them.

Yeah, that's what I want to do. I forgot that difference between name and version tag :)

EDIT: I've tried setting an environment variable, but I get an error:

code:
'$(Year:yyyy).$(Month).$(DayOfMonth)$(Rev:.r)-$(SourceBranchName)' is not a valid version string. (Parameter 'value') 

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 8, 2020