Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh! I can contribute (lovely) content!

I have one of this company's boxes in my garage, it is the cutest company logo ever :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Love Hotel:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

Yeah I get you, and I didn't get sick once but I have traveled a shitload in my short life so I just assume my immune system is used to foreign crap being shoveled in it.

Last time I was there it was for 6 months, but as said earlier it depends on where you were.

EDIT: Is it nice being stationed in Japan? Iv had friends who have said is great, and others who have said that Korea is a much nicer place to get stuck with.

I really liked it but I think I was a little more adventurous. A lot of folks in my unit would just sit around the barracks and drink while bitching about how Okinawa wasn't <HOMETOWN>.

It also helped that I was in the Air Force and could own a car.

AMINAL
Dec 6, 2014
Have some mood music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYrV4I1b6xQ

And please more cyberpunk looking pics, japan looks baller.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

fyodor posted:

japan sure is wild about automobiles!

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
Fast food in Japan is interesting for the Japanese take on food you've seen before.
But fine dining is a much better way to eat, at least compared to Australia. It's cheap and of high quality. OTOH their electronic ordering systems can be an issue if they don't have an English option, and smoking in restaurants is alive and well. :(

Oddly enough there is almost a complete absence of other Asian cuisines, the main ethnic cuisines seem to be French, Italian and Mediterranean.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tehdas posted:

Oddly enough there is almost a complete absence of other Asian cuisines, the main ethnic cuisines seem to be French, Italian and Mediterranean.

Funnily enough one of the best Italian restaurants I've ever eaten at was in Sapporo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

univbee posted:

Funnily enough one of the best Italian restaurants I've ever eaten at was in Sapporo.

Similarly there was a Mexican restaurant on Okinawa which was amazing.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Come on man read the thread title.

Tokyo would seem way to crowded to be enjoyable.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

vending machines everywhere. pretty much the exact kind in that last picture. like , everywhere, outside, no matter what. you can survive off vending machines, and well too. they have so many vending machines its a major power draw on their electrical grid

Egg Vending Machine:

"I found a vending machine in Japan that puts your face on figurines."

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Darth123123 posted:

Come on man read the thread title.

Tokyo would seem way to crowded to be enjoyable.

Honestly my favorite part about Tokyo was that it wasn't crowded, compared to most other capital cities in Asia.

Like, walking on the sidewalks without people walking into you was great.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I need to go through my pics from Japan when I get home. Not sure if I got a picture of them but they also had rice vending machines (paid by the kilo, you supply your own container), and the hospital had an auto-cooking vending machine (e.g. you paid 300 yen for a hot dog and it went through a nuking/cooking process so you got it in like 90 seconds or something).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

"I found a vending machine in Japan that puts your face on figurines."

Why do we not have this? :(

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

univbee posted:

I need to go through my pics from Japan when I get home. Not sure if I got a picture of them but they also had rice vending machines (paid by the kilo, you supply your own container), and the hospital had an auto-cooking vending machine (e.g. you paid 300 yen for a hot dog and it went through a nuking/cooking process so you got it in like 90 seconds or something).

:drat:

More cyberpunk-ish photos and/or gifs of various locales within Japan:

Tokyo:

Kyoto:

????:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Franz posted:

This looks more like a horror movie prop than a practical tool.

It's a maebiki oga ("large saw", also called a whaleback saw in English) and was used to make very straight cuts in very large slabs of wood before mechanised sawmills became a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY41NE79lgY

Badass! :black101:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've always loved traditional Japanese carpentry tools but there's no point in me buying any because I'm too much of a useless klutz to ever put them to good use.

If you like that, you'll love this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1pvUlQgYtk

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Nara (known for deer):

This one actually uses the lights.

Hokkaido:

The Blue Pond

Toyama:

August 1, 1945. 173 American B-29s firebombed this big producer of aluminum, destroying 95.6% of it.

Context -- a clip from the excellent documentary The Fog of War. The man being interviewed was involved in war planning and the firebombings were sort of his idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYxXFwIPGHk

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Making some bamboo arrows for Kyudo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyejbipavWw

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

AMINAL posted:

Have some mood music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYrV4I1b6xQ

And please more cyberpunk looking pics, japan looks baller.

mega drive loving rules and I want to go pet a deer in Nara now

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

univbee posted:

Lineup for KFC on Christmas Day. Those people probably reserved their buckets back in October before they sold out.

KFC's Japan marketing campaign is probably one of the most wildly successful things they've ever done. Xmas in Japan means a $50 KFC meal and every single location sells out months in advance.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Also, this is a Japan-based English language news channel which freely livestreams.

It's pretty solid, actually. Just a bit ago they ran an episode of a great documentary series about Japan called BEGIN Japanology, of which quite a few episodes are on youtube.

For example, their Vending Machines episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS5EV3zs7vE

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

:shrug:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
KFC Japan:

A promotion that would never work stateside: All-You-Can-Eat Day

¥1200 for 45 minutes

:stare:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
japanese tv is hard loving core

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGj1vszzZBc&t=540s

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So Japan is really just mcdonalds, wrestling and KFC then :911:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Zzulu posted:

So Japan is really just mcdonalds, wrestling and KFC then :911:

We own them.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

We nuked them, burned down tokyo, and installed military bases all over their country so that a militaristic administration could never come to power again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I could sit and watch related video after related video for hours even though most of them don't seem to have subtitles in any language I can read. There's something incredibly relaxing about watching skilled craftsmen just quietly doing their thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
punny western chess has only 6 pieces, mighty Nippon Shogi has over 500! :ssj:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0Y26iTPSM

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
More from Hokkaido (that big northerly island):

After 17 meters (18.5 yards) of snow

Another from Nara:

Narai-juku in Shiojiri, Nagano Prefecture, Japan:

Akashi Kaikyō Bridge:

6,532 ft central span, the longest of any suspension bridge in the world.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Mentat Radnor posted:

The Buddhist temple complex at Nara, Japan is one place that I really want to visit during my life.

Don't forget the tens of thousands of hyper-aggressive deer that roam the grounds. And all the deer poo poo. Apparently, deer used to be sacred in Nara, which caused a population of fearless semi-domesticated deer to evolve around the temple complexes. They'll literally chase you down and grab your clothes for food.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Japanese Macaques, or "Snow Monkeys." The northerly most non-human primate around.

They like the hot springs, as you can see.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Tokyo was neat. The people were mostly aloof which was a weird shift from the Taiwanese and mainland Chinese going out of their way to talk to a foreigner. I look like a homeless person so I don't take it personally, Japan.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This really small rural area in Hokkaido got absolutely wrecked because mother nature does that sometimes (fortunately this one was midday when everyone was away so no injuries). Instead of rebuilding they relocated everyone, and left the rubble there as a kind of "this is is what the aftermath of a seismic event looks like" tourist attraction.

This was once a straight road (there's a slab of road at the top of that hill)

The vendors who set up shop there also had Wasabi ice cream. Goes down cold and then you get an immediate rush of heat up your esophagus. :black101:

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Gourmet Kit-Kat Shop

• Locked thread