Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

japanese megacities, living out of vending machines, and capsule hotels make me fearful of what the future will bring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I distinctly remember 2 things about Japan in general when I went there:

-it's clean as gently caress
-I always felt very safe

also, wanna try that capsule hotel at least once.

Never had my wallet lifted or got rolled by roving gangs of teens in all my forays either sober or otherwise in Japan.

GORILLA BASTARD fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 7, 2015

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw05n5ctaD8

Most of his videos are from China but this one from Japan is amazing.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Owl Petting Cafe:

dude i want to go

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
it makes me sad that the japanese are going extinct

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Cool, I have been looking for one of these

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Darkman Fanpage posted:

they're not going extinct, they're overpopulated like everyone else and are using severe depression towards environmentally friendly goals

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

society says women have to stay home and raise kids

economy says a single person cannot earn enough to provide for a family

result = no families

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Don't know if it's Japanese but what's that show where people dress in complete black in front of a black background and they do awesome stuff with props so that it looks like objects are going in slow motion but it's really those black clad people holding the objects. I loved seeing that show on YouTube a while back.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

society says women have to stay home and raise kids

economy says a single person cannot earn enough to provide for a family

result = no families

Not to mention people having to work until suicide at the ripe old age of 58

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Please don't tell me thats the suicide forest.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

haunted death forest?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

dont commit suicide here

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
suicide forest is like holy poo poo

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

What does that sign say? "Please don't kill yourself?"

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man could you imagine being the suicide forest park ranger? The clean up must be awful.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Three-Phase posted:

your life is a precious gift from your parents, we are here for you, call this number

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Three-Phase posted:

more or less something like

"life is a precious gift from your parents. you're not alone. call this number *suicide hotline*"

3:20 in this video *NSFW* corpses *NSFW*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDSdg09df8

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 19, 2015

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Mr. Pumroy posted:

your life is a precious gift from your parents, we are here for you, call this number

Well, hopefully that makes some people reconsider. :unsmith:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

There are similar posters all over their railway stations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Accretionist posted:

Food post!

Peach drink:

Takoyaki:

Battered octopus with sweet sauce and bonito flakes (fish flakes)

Grilled mochi balls w/sweet sauce:

Mochi is rice pounded into a shapable mash.

Yakitori:

Pickles:

Reportedly, pickle stores are popular.

A deception:

Fanta jelly in a can. For undignified slurping.

Konbini (corner store) Sandwich:

Reportedly, konbini loving rule and are very common.

Japanese equivalent to V8:

Harajuku Crepe

Fill is cheesecake, whipped creme and blueberry sauce.

Conveyer belt sushi:

Price is by plate, counted at meal's end.

More Takoyaki:

Bento Box:

Beef Sushi (oh my):

Tonkatsu Set Lunch:

~$8, inc. free refills on rice

Pork Gyuza (dumplings):

Fried Surimi ball:

Surimi's like a meat paste so it's a giant meatball, I think.

Most of that looks very fried/unhealthy. Goons in Japan

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

They need to clean up that forest and put up more security, because really its one of the most beautiful forests on the entire planet...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dont watch them on youtube but i dont expect ppl to torrent a 4 gig fan sub just to watch some guy get slapped in the face. subbing groups are pretty bad but they're the only choice

teamgaki.com

gaki-no-tsukai.com

e: also ShibataBread posts here now

whats a good starting episode on those sites, i got no problem with big downloads considering i got 300 (mod sanctioned!!) gigs of korean variety shows

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe Japan should work on having a work based system that doesn't drive all people to suicide because they haven't had a vacation in 20 years.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

why don't they wall off train terminals and have a sort of automatic door that feeds into the train like an airplane boarding tunnel, would prevent suicides imo

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

are there a ton of poors in japanese cities? seems like everyone and everything is pretty well taken care of, at least in the cities. do they have robust social welfare services, or do the ppl there actually just work?

There's tons of squalor, abandoned buildings and what we might think of as "hopeless" people who've gone off the rails of Japanese society in one way or another. There's lots of makework jobs too, like people who arrange the bikes outside small supermarkets or people who help university students cross minor roads safely. There's lots of homeless people around, but people don't look at them and basically pretend they don't exist.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

yeah, because of the decades long financial crisis there are many homeless people and even more people who live in very poor conditions. there could be more, but thankfully most of the people becoming useless to society off themselves.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

Man could you imagine being the suicide forest park ranger? The clean up must be awful.

That VICE documentary is about one of the park rangers, he spends most of his days walking around the forest convincing people not to kill themselves. Sounds like a really rewarding job, and I'm glad there's someone to do it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

madeupfred posted:

That VICE documentary is about one of the park rangers, he spends most of his days walking around the forest convincing people not to kill themselves. Sounds like a really rewarding job, and I'm glad there's someone to do it.

Rewarding but holy gently caress depressing as poo poo to.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Davincie posted:

whats a good starting episode on those sites, i got no problem with big downloads considering i got 300 (mod sanctioned!!) gigs of korean variety shows

i only really know about gaki no tsukai. it's a long running variety show with all kinds of stuff.

in terms of just gaki, there are batsu games and not batsu games. the batsu games are more popular. batsu means 'punishment' as in 'we make you put up with this awful thing as your punishment for losing a stupid game'. on the one level the batsu games are all about amusing slapstick punishment. there's this other deeply psychological thing though, as the main dudes are comedians who spend all day trying to make each other laugh for a living, and then they're placed in this surreal constant 24 hour theatrical production where they are not allowed to laugh but are being watched by the production crew who has endless time to set up props and scenarios targeted with a laser precision to make these dudes laugh. it's like some weird version of hell

i would say some of the older batsus like 24 hour tag, hot springs, matsumoto's pie hell, anything pre 2006 or so are better to start with. they were more focused and spontaneous. over time the annual batsu became A Thing that airs for like six+ hours on new years eve, so it became more formulaic but with a much bigger budget. this is from like no laughing newspaperman or no laughing hotelman up to the present. these later batsu games rely a little bit more on backstory and context which you'll pick up if you watch them in roughly chronological order.

as for non-batsu just normal segments the 'absolutely tasty' series is also good, they cook insane poo poo to see if it's nice to eat or not (usually not) like fried breath mints and squid ink dough balls

e: for example one of the worst things i ever saw in a batsu is they stage a mock trial for one of the main comedians, who has a reputation as a sex fiend. they read out all of his hilarious sexts that he sent to a honeypot in the past year, on national tv, as his ex-wife sits behind him and pleads in his defense that he's just a horny dumbass who can't control himself

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 19, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

Rewarding but holy gently caress depressing as poo poo to.

The guy is legit amazing, watching the documentary it's hard to imagine someone who would be more perfect for the job.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Accretionist posted:

They've got some creepy western style mannequins:

These are French mannequins. I saw them in France, but you can also sort of tell by looking.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Justin Tyme posted:

why don't they wall off train terminals and have a sort of automatic door that feeds into the train like an airplane boarding tunnel, would prevent suicides imo

I saw a video awhile back that showed a station that had a setup just like this, where there were doors and barriers, and when the train came it would stop and the two sets of doors would open. It's a very safe system, it would prevent suicides, kids falling off the platform, and people being pushed off by people with schizophrenia.

univbee posted:

The guy is legit amazing, watching the documentary it's hard to imagine someone who would be more perfect for the job.

Yeah! He seems like a kindly grandfather figure - I liked the bit where he ran into someone illegally camped. He was genuinely more concerned about his wellbeing than being camped illegally. :unsmith:

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ApwKs3eU9g

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Tony Homo posted:

Don't know if it's Japanese but what's that show where people dress in complete black in front of a black background and they do awesome stuff with props so that it looks like objects are going in slow motion but it's really those black clad people holding the objects. I loved seeing that show on YouTube a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMPKLLlEwd4 is what you are looking for

Kasou Taishou to get more of them

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

univbee posted:

Do you have a link to the documentary? He sounds like a cool guy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

Do you have a link to the documentary? He sounds like a cool guy.

here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLU5inA-oJM

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Popular Thug Drink posted:

more or less something like

"life is a precious gift from your parents. you're not alone. call this number *suicide hotline*"

3:20 in this video *NSFW* corpses *NSFW*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDSdg09df8

what the gently caress

people just go into that forest and hang themselves? I guess that's one way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zzulu posted:

what the gently caress

people just go into that forest and hang themselves? I guess that's one way to go

Oh yeah there is the link, thanks

• Locked thread