Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
So the Packers had a very depressing loss and a Packer fan made a thread about ranking bad lovely horrible losses and a lot of us posted in it, myself included. But, hey, why don't we do the opposite too?

Now, that weird caveat in the title seems silly, but think about it - If you're a fan of a team that's won a Super Bowl (especially during your lifetime), it's pretty obvious they're among your favorite wins. I'm a Packer fan in my late 30s, take a wild guess which two games were my favorite wins. I'm pretty sure that, for example, any Ravens fan over 25 or so knows exactly what his two favorite wins are. Well, we ALL know those. Tell us about the ones we don't know, or just may not have looked that hard at.

5. 1999 Cardinals@Packers: Packers 49, Cardinals 24 - This game meant loving nothing in the end, but HOLY loving poo poo. Here's the story. It isn't a Thing anymore, but back then one of the playoff tiebreakers was points differential. The Packers, Cowboys and Panthers were all 7-8 to start the day. The Cowboys had the tiebreakers before it would get to points differential, but it was the late game. So the Packers and Panthers had to play like it COULD come down to whoever scored the most. The Packers played the Cardinals, and the Panthers played the Saints. BLOWOUTS ENSUED. It was just amazing. Carolina kept scoring, so the Packers just HAD TO KEEP SCORING.
e: I found it! WE NEED MORE POINTS

4: 1996 49ers@Packers (Week 7 MNF, not the playoff game): Packers 23, 49ers 20 (OT) - The "Holy gently caress Elvis Grbac almost actually beat us" game. Favre threw 2 picks and suddenly the 49ers were up 17-6 and all the Packers could do was kick loving field goals. Favre hit Beebe on one bomb, then converted it for two, and other than that the Packers couldn't do poo poo. If the 49ers had won this game, they'd have had the #1 seed at 13-3 and the Packers would have visited San Francisco for the NFCCG. Who knows, Favre may have retired without any rings at all.

3. 1989 Bears@Packers: Packers 14, Bears 13 - The first time I remember the Packers beating the Bears. Before that was 4 or 5 years straight that they swept us, so the last time before this was when I was maybe 6 years old. This is the only big one I remember from the Majkowski era, as the trade for Favre happened when I was in like, 9th grade. We swept THEM that year... although they went right back to sweeping us again right after that. Still, After further review, the Bears still suck :colbert:

2. 2003 MNF vs Raiders: Packers 41, Raiders 7 - Everyone knows this story. Favre's father died less than 20 hours earlier, and even as a fan watching on TV I couldn't help but feel emotional about it. Only seven months prior, my own father died. I guess that's why it hit me as hard as it did, and why it's stuck with me for over a decade now.

1. 2010 NFC Divisional Round: Packers 48, Falcons 21 - Earlier in the season the Falcons won, or rather, escaped a close one - partially helped by a 4th down catch by Tony G that wasn't a loving catch. Fast forward to January. The Falcons scored first, then Rodgers led the Packers on a tying TD drive, then Eric Weems runs a kick return back for over 100 yards. The Packers literally tripped over themselves trying to cover it, while every goddamned one of us covered our eyes. We opened them pretty quickly. The Packers had 4 straight 80+ yard TD drives in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, forced 4 turnovers (including a 70 yard pick-6 by Tramon) and never loving punted.

There are some others I'd like to put here, like this year's 55-14 curb stomping of the Bears... just really because gently caress the Bears, and that 55-7 Titans game a couple years ago just because that poo poo was hilarious, but they don't belong in the top 5.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArseMan
Jun 7, 2003

Jeg kan ikke snakke norsk, men jeg fortsatt elsker mitt fedreland :norway:

I'd rank the 2011 NFCCG Packers-Bears game over that '99 game, since I don't remember that at all and the Pack didn't even make the playoffs that year (oh Ray Rhodes...). And who can forget the part in the 2010 game where Rodgers takes his championship belt back? That's what made that game for me.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Vikings (9-6) at Cardinals (3-12) in 2003 was a pretty memorable Packers game.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I couldn't give you specific games but watching the bears defense outscore the offense and win on the flukeyest of plays was always the best

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
1)Mile High What-Have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOeL1D8vMiI
2)Torrey Smith makes good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIbyuScCZqY

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 20, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
regular season favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUukfA5ugtI

playoff favorite: music city miracle

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Number 1 through whatever is 2006 vs Patriots.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
1) 12/24/06: Texans beat the Colts for the first time, ever, on a last second field goal
2) 1/3/10: Texans beat the Patriots to secure their first winning season
3) 1/7/11: JJ Watt's interception on Andy Dalton. The rest is history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7PEwatjpE
4) 12/8/02: Texans beat the Steelers with 3 defensive touchdowns and 0 offensive touchdowns
5) 9/802: First game ever is a win against the Cowboys

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

1. All seven of the Browns world championships. What? None of them were Super Bowls. Now for some I remember.

2. Run William run! Browns make the Playoffs.

3. Beating the Ravens in 07 on the wonky Dawson kick to force over time then sealing the deal.

4. John Thierry making the int in 99 to split the series with the Steelers. It was very satisfying after being blown out in the first meeting.

5. Tim Couch getting the first win on a hail mary.

6. Blowing the socks off the Steelers on Sunday night football in 2003.

7.Tim Couch getting a second win with a hail mary against the Jags.

8. Every time the Browns beat a division rival.

9. Every time the Browns beat a defending Spuer Bowl champion they we're supposed to get killed by.

10. Honorable mention. The Brian Hoyer magic this year was a lot of fun while it lasted. I'll place it in a three way tie with Derek Anderson magic of 07 and the Peyton Hillis magic of 2010.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Best wins:

1.) 2007 AFC Divisional Game vs Indianapolis. This is the game in Indy when Tomlinson and Rivers got hurt, and Billy Volek and Michael Turner led San Diego to an improbable win and a spot in the AFC Title game. It's the best playoff game I've ever watched.

2.) 2008 Wild Card Game vs Indianapolis. Darren Sproles won the game in OT, but Mike Scifres utterly dominated the Colts. He had six punts, four of them inside the 10, and 2 of them inside the five with one at the one yard line. It was masterful.

3.) 2014 Regular season vs San Francisco. This was week 16 of this year. I still have no idea how San Diego pulled that win out.

4.) 2006 Regular Season vs. Cincinnati. Malcom Floyd's coming out party. Chargers were down 28-3 at halftime, then Tomlinson and Floyd went insane and we ended up winning the game 49-41.

5.) 2007 Regular Season vs. Indianapolis. Chargers have two punt returns and a kick return for touchdowns. Peyton throws six interceptions. Chargers win after Vinatieri misses a 20 yard field goal.

Honorable Mention: 2005 Regular season vs Indianapolis. Colts are 13-0, Chargers are like 7-5, and San Diego ends the Colts' streak in Indy after Michael Turner rips off an 83 yard TD run.

We used to own Peyton a lot.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Honorable Mention #1:
1983 Week 1 - Packers 41, Oilers 38
Lynn Dickey went 27-31 for 333 yards and 5 TD's. He had a pre-game headache so bad that he could hardly talk, and eventually left the game after his last TD pass when his head bounced off the Astrodome turf. His headache never went away, and the next day the found out that he was leaking spinal fluid throughout the game. Completed 18 straight passes which stood as a Packer record until Favre eclipsed it.

Honorable Mention #2:
1985 Week 16 - The Snow Bowl versus Tampa Bay, this says it all:

1992 Week 3 - Packers 24, Bengals 23 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6LTcvzzAs)
Favre leads a game winning TD drive where the Packers start at their own 8 with 1:07 left. Sterling Sharpe comes out of the game with broken ribs after catching a pass to take them to mid-field. Kitrick Taylor came in to replace him and Favre hit him with a 35 yard TD pass with 13 seconds left. Bonus points for Terrell Buckley (Jim Thorpe Jr.) returning a punt for a TD in his debut.

1994 Week 16 - Packers 21, Falcons 17
In a must win game, Favre scrambles for the game winning TD with 14 seconds left. If he gets tackled in bounds, the Packers can't get a FG off, they lose, and are out of the playoffs.
Fun Fact#1: Sterling Sharpe suffers the injury that ultimately forces him to retire. However, for some reason he was able to play the next week, goes 9-132-3 TD's and takes snaps at QB?
Fun Fact #2: This was the last Green Bay game at Milwaukee County Stadium.
Fun Fact #3: The Lions, Packers, Vikings, and Bears all made the playoffs in 1994 and all of them squared off wild card weekend.
http://youtu.be/R0tzbIGRVs8?t=1m56s

1989 Bears/Packers Replay Game - already mentioned. Check out grandma:

1993 Wild Card versus Detroit
Favre hits Sharpe with a bomb late for the winning TD. Here's Sharpe's celebration:

1980 vs. the Bears. Packers have a glasses wearing, cocaine fueled kicker try the game winning FG. You won't believe what happened next.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

#1 through 1 million: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDkoXc3nM8

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Most of these were recent, since I don't recall many good games when I was a kid. I'll skip the latest game because I imagine the wounds still hurt for Packer fans:

5, December 9th, 2012:

I've never seen a team be made such a mockery of as the Cards were that day.

4, Sunday, Sept 29, 2002:

Shaun Alexander scores 5 TDs in the first half (4 rushing, 1 passing), a new record as the Seahawks stomped the Vikings 48-23

3, January 6, 2007:

Which led to: :romo:

2, January 8, 2011:

Hold my diiick

1, January 19, 2014:

Holy poo poo I lost at that.

edit: in case any other Seahawk fans wonder why none of the '05 playoff games are on there - they weren't that exciting, to be honest. Carolina got crushed under Delhomme's awfulness, and there wasn't anything meaningful about the game against Washington.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 20, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
-Beating Dallas in the 2007 Playoffs. I would have been happy if the season had ended there when we did that. TO Crying afterward was the best schadenfreude I've ever experienced
-beating the 49ers in overtime in 2011
-beating Green Bay in 2007
-The Carolina game in 2008 for the #1 seed. Overtime ownage by Derrick Ward. best game I've ever watched that wasn't in the playoffs.
-Annihilating the Vikings 41-0 in the NFC Championship
-Ruining the 49ers 3-peat chances
-Ruining Dallas's new stadium home opener (the game when Eli trolled the Cowboys by signing the wall)
-Any game in which we beat the Eagles, especially the one game when Osi sacked McNabb 6 times

it's funny, despite the amount of late comebacks Eli has, none of them have been "miracle comebacks", yet tons of teams seem to have miracle comebacks against us. When we melt down we melt down hard.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

1) 12/24/06: Texans beat the Colts for the first time, ever, on a last second field goal
2) 1/3/10: Texans beat the Patriots to secure their first winning season
3) 1/7/11: JJ Watt's interception on Andy Dalton. The rest is history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7PEwatjpE
4) 12/8/02: Texans beat the Steelers with 3 defensive touchdowns and 0 offensive touchdowns
5) 9/802: First game ever is a win against the Cowboys

#1 for me has to be week 14 beating the Bengals in 2011 to clinch the division

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
1) January 4, 1997: The 9-7 Jaguars barely made it into the playoffs in their second year of existence, owing to a five-game winning streak to close the season to even get to the playoffs. In the Wild Card round the Jags barely managed to defeat a Jim Kelly-led Bills team. In the divisional round, the fifth-seeded Jags faced the #1 seed Denver Broncos, led by John Elway. They came into Mile High stadium as 14-point underdogs, a completely justifiable line in the eyes of most. Woody Paige wrote this article... which would ultimately become infamous. The Broncos were at the peak of their powers during this confrontation: Elway had just been united with Terrell Davis, the key to a running game that would ultimately bring him Super Bowl victory. But not this year. This year the Jaguars were a team of miracles and destiny. After a 12-point Broncos first quarter that seemed like it would prove all the prognosticators correct, The Jaguars offense completely took over the game, putting up 20 unanswered points. Denver made it a game late, but the Jaguars were able to maintain their lead and claim a huge victory for their franchise, 30-27. Only to be defeated by the Patriots, gently caress the Patriots, they've always been assholes even before Belichick.

2. December 22, 1996: The Jaguars only had that greatest moment thanks to a five-game winning streak to end the year. But there's a specific moment every Jaguar fan remembers that is responsible for fueling that run into the playoffs. It's the "Elvis dancing on Ed Sullivan" moment for every long-time Jaguar fan. Anyone who was in that stadium for that moment can point to the very spot that it happened. I've had people come to me and ask me which upright it was. I dutifully point south. Morton's Miss. I was seven years old at the time, and I was crying. The miracle wasn't happening. Morton Anderson was good, even I knew that. And this was a 30 yard field goal. That's practically a loving extra point! People don't miss those! I didn't even see it. I couldn't even watch. I was just waiting for the air to go out of the stadium. And then... I heard it. The cheers. It was loving electric. I looked up, I could barely see, but what I could see is that the Jaguars were celebrating and my Dad was shouting HE MISSED IT HE MISSED IT and god dammit so he did and holy poo poo we won 19-17 and we're going to the playoffs!

There's a bit of a drop between two and three. The 1999 season was fantastic, but the electricity, the passion, it just never has been the same since 1996. We're trying to recapture that magic.

3. January 15, 2000: 62-7. The game that drove both Dan Marino and Jimmy Johnson into retirement. All that really needs to be said.

Another drop-off between 3 and 4.

4. January 5, 2008: Any win against the Pittsburgh Steelers is a good win. A win in the final moments on a ridiculous scramble, defeating the Steelers in Heinz Field for a second time that year and giving the Jags their only playoff win of the aughts? Even better. 31-29.

A big drop-off between 4 and 5. And honestly, several wins could take the 5 spot here. This one is just my personal favorite.

5. October 3, 2010: I had to honestly consider four different games for this spot. Two were Colts games and two were Steelers games. Ultimately I picked one of the Colts games, because I already have a Steelers game. I picked this particular Colts game because I like high drama. The 2010 Jaguars were actually pretty good by '00s-era Jaguars standards, finishing 8-8, and they took a pre-spinal injury Peyton Manning-led to the wire (as the Del Rio-led Jaguars were wont to do). There were five seconds left in a hard-fought 28-28 game, and the Jaguars had the ball at the Colts' 43 yard line. There'd be no shame in taking it to overtime, not after all that. But Josh Scobee, he had something else to say about this. He was not going to leave this game to the whims of fate. He went out, and in the closing seconds nailed a 59-yard field goal as time expired, cementing his reputation as a hero of the people. His longest success before that kick? 53 yards.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

This is a good list but for number 5 I would have the game in 1990 where Derrick Thomas set the single game sack record of 7 against Seattle, and then down 10-16 on the final play Dave Krieg and his tiny fumble-prone hands somehow eluded Thomas's seemingly inevitable sack number 8 and tossed a bomb to win the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAQPupmxLQ

This is basically the only memorable win of my life.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

2011 season opener, the first time Flacco beat a Roethlisberger led Steelers, I was fretting this game all offseason and the Ravens blow the gently caress out of the Steelers. Game owned.

2012 week 3 vs the Pats, first time the Ravens beat the Patriots in the regular season

2011 Ravens-Steelers II, Puppy Bowl linked it and Joe's comeback drive was loving amazing

2012 AFCCG No bullshit here, the Ravens beat the Pats handily and it was just super cathartic to beat the gently caress out of them

@Denver in the 2012 divisional round, this was the best playoff game I've ever seen next to the Saints/9ers one

also in the 2000 season when the Ravens beat the Jags for the first time, game was amazing and the Jags were one of the few teams that threw a bunch of points on the Ravens

the divisional round 2000 @Tennessee, the rivalry was shortlived but it was fun as gently caress. hire jeff fisher cleveland i want to hate him once more

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
1. 2002-03 NFC Championship. Ronde Barber :allears:

2. 2000 MNF Revenge Game. Bucs/Rams trade the lead the entire game in a wild rematch of the previous year's NFC Title game. Bucs win on a crazy screen/lateral followed by a Warrick Dunn TD.

3. Matt Bryant 62 yard field goal. The Bucs were bad, this game was silly, and I don't think anyone expected it to go through.

4. Beating the Lions in the playoffs. The first playoff win in my lifetime.

5. Coming back down 13 to beat Washington in the playoffs. Sullied a bit by the NFC Title game.

6. Some random throwback game against the Packers a few years ago. We were losing, it was Freeman's first game, the creamsicles were back, and I got to be there for an awesome comeback win in front of a very very drunk crowd.

There are other cool regular season wins like Riverboat Ron opening the door for us, Spurlock breaking the kick return curse, and Doug Martin going batshit insane against Oakland.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The undisputed Jets number one : beating the loving Patriots in the 2010 playoffs. Especially after that 45-3 Monday night thrashing a month earlier. And Bart Scott earned a CBS studio gig on that night.

Honorable mentions:

- That 1986 regular season game when Ken O'Brien and Marino combined for over 900 yards and O'Brien probably had Marino's number for the only time ever.

- The Monday Night Miracle. Shame the season fell apart after that.

- The improbable 2002 run to the division title beating Brady and Favre at the end of the season and beating the poo poo out of Peyton in the wild card round. The only time since 2001 a healthy Brady has missed the playoffs.

- The 2004 wild card game where Nate Kaeding ensures that Eric Barton isn't the 2000's Mark Gastineau

- The week before number one where Nick Folk ends Peyton's time with the Colts.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

4th and 26 doesn't count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOEq7p4r00U

Or the Miracle at the New Meadowlands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slAx291z1hM

Fenrir posted:

5. 1999 Cardinals@Packers: Packers 49, Cardinals 24 - This game meant loving nothing in the end, but HOLY loving poo poo. Here's the story. It isn't a Thing anymore, but back then one of the playoff tiebreakers was points differential. The Packers, Cowboys and Panthers were all 7-8 to start the day. The Cowboys had the tiebreakers before it would get to points differential, but it was the late game. So the Packers and Panthers had to play like it COULD come down to whoever scored the most. The Packers played the Cardinals, and the Panthers played the Saints. BLOWOUTS ENSUED. It was just amazing. Carolina kept scoring, so the Packers just HAD TO KEEP SCORING.

The WE NEED MORE POINTS Games might be some of the best football that's ever been played. The NFL needs to re-do the tiebreakers so we can have something magical like that again :allears:

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 20, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Fenrir posted:

So the Packers had a very depressing loss and a Packer fan made a thread about ranking bad lovely horrible losses and a lot of us posted in it, myself included. But, hey, why don't we do the opposite too?

Now, that weird caveat in the title seems silly, but think about it - If you're a fan of a team that's won a Super Bowl (especially during your lifetime), it's pretty obvious they're among your favorite wins. I'm a Packer fan in my late 30s, take a wild guess which two games were my favorite wins. I'm pretty sure that, for example, any Ravens fan over 25 or so knows exactly what his two favorite wins are. Well, we ALL know those. Tell us about the ones we don't know, or just may not have looked that hard at.

4: 1996 49ers@Packers (Week 7 MNF, not the playoff game): Packers 23, 49ers 20 (OT) - The "Holy gently caress Elvis Grbac almost actually beat us" game. Favre threw 2 picks and suddenly the 49ers were up 17-6 and all the Packers could do was kick loving field goals. Favre hit Beebe on one bomb, then converted it for two, and other than that the Packers couldn't do poo poo. If the 49ers had won this game, they'd have had the #1 seed at 13-3 and the Packers would have visited San Francisco for the NFCCG. Who knows, Favre may have retired without any rings at all.

3. 1989 Bears@Packers: Packers 14, Bears 13 - The first time I remember the Packers beating the Bears. Before that was 4 or 5 years straight that they swept us, so the last time before this was when I was maybe 6 years old. This is the only big one I remember from the Majkowski era, as the trade for Favre happened when I was in like, 9th grade. We swept THEM that year... although they went right back to sweeping us again right after that. Still, After further review, the Bears still suck :colbert:

2. 2003 MNF vs Raiders: Packers 41, Raiders 7 - Everyone knows this story. Favre's father died less than 20 hours earlier, and even as a fan watching on TV I couldn't help but feel emotional about it. Only seven months prior, my own father died. I guess that's why it hit me as hard as it did, and why it's stuck with me for over a decade now.

1. 2010 NFC Divisional Round: Packers 48, Falcons 21 - Earlier in the season the Falcons won, or rather, escaped a close one - partially helped by a 4th down catch by Tony G that wasn't a loving catch. Fast forward to January. The Falcons scored first, then Rodgers led the Packers on a tying TD drive, then Eric Weems runs a kick return back for over 100 yards. The Packers literally tripped over themselves trying to cover it, while every goddamned one of us covered our eyes. We opened them pretty quickly. The Packers had 4 straight 80+ yard TD drives in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, forced 4 turnovers (including a 70 yard pick-6 by Tramon) and never loving punted.

There are some others I'd like to put here, like this year's 55-14 curb stomping of the Bears... just really because gently caress the Bears, and that 55-7 Titans game a couple years ago just because that poo poo was hilarious, but they don't belong in the top 5.

There was a divisional game against I want to say San Fran when we went there and were 10 point underdogs and kicked rear end. It was in the Holmgren/Favre era. That game was loving awesome.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

The undisputed Jets number one : beating the loving Patriots in the 2010 playoffs. Especially after that 45-3 Monday night thrashing a month earlier. And Bart Scott earned a CBS studio gig on that night.

Mostly the same for me. Obviously not counting SB3 since I wasn't alive to see it.

Jets

1. 2010 AFC Divisional v Patriots - Hands down the best. It isn't even close for me.
2. 2000 Monday Night Miracle v Dolphins
3. 2002 Wild Card Curb-Stomping of the Colts - This was the last time the Jets have had a home playoff game. RIP Pennington.
4. 2008 Week 11 @ Patriots - Thrilling OT win that put them at 7-3 and in first place. Officially excited about the season! Then Favre tore something and it all went to poo poo.
5. 2000 Week 4 @ Buccaneers - Comeback down 17-6 with 2 minutes left. Not really "significant" but I was living in Sarasota at the time so best game I've seen live. Game winning TD was Martin2Chrebet.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Ozu posted:

Mostly the same for me. Obviously not counting SB3 since I wasn't alive to see it.

Jets
4. 2008 Week 11 @ Patriots - Thrilling OT win that put them at 7-3 and in first place. Officially excited about the season! Then Favre tore something and it all went to poo poo.

That and then beating the then-undefeated Titans was such a high, of course something had to go wrong.

quote:

5. 2000 Week 4 @ Buccaneers - Comeback down 17-6 with 2 minutes left. Not really "significant" but I was living in Sarasota at the time so best game I've seen live. Game winning TD was Martin2Chrebet.

That was awesome too, with Keyshawn just joining the Bucs. And now I'm reminded week 1 at Lambeau that year had something cool too.

e: I was too young for the 80's stuff in both threads, I just thought they were significant since I wasn't alive in the 60's and nothing of note happened in the 70's

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 20, 2015

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Best Pats non-Super Bowl win? Clearly I have to go back to where it all started, the Snow Bowl (Tuck Rule game for the rest of you, I guess).

The week 17 game against the Giants in 2007 was pretty awesome at the time, though it feels a bit hollow for some reason now.

seiferguy posted:

2, January 8, 2011:

Hold my diiick
The Beast Quake is my single favorite non-Patriots play of all time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Intruder posted:

#1 for me has to be week 14 beating the Bengals in 2011 to clinch the division

The thing about that game was that the Texans didn't clinch the division until a few minutes after that game ended. I distinctly remember switching over to Fox to watch the finish of the Saints/Titans game. The impact of the Texans win didn't hit me as much as the Titans loss did, so I didn't list it.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Any win against Oakland and any win against Denver.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx

Retail Slave posted:

There was a divisional game against I want to say San Fran when we went there and were 10 point underdogs and kicked rear end. It was in the Holmgren/Favre era. That game was loving awesome.

Was that the one that led to the 1995 NFC Championship? 1996 was the first year I started watching football, but that sounds like the start of the Packers owning the 49ers in the postseason.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'd go with the Buttfumble Game for the Patriots (though I'm not counting playoff games at all here). Not only was that one of the most hilarious minute and a half of football ever, but the third touchdown in that series instantly slammed the door shut on the "Rex and Sanchez are a legitimate threat to the Patriots" era. Before that, because of the playoff games there was an edge of nervousness to playing the Jets - after that, it was basically gone and they became a punchline. It's amazing how quickly that shifted.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I can't believe I forgot about this but last year's Ravens/Vikings snow bowl had the best two minutes of football of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2UN6Bt5Nck

Edit: Why is Toby Gerhart only a good player against the Ravens?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Colts

#1 - 2006 AFC Championship Game - beat the Patriots 38-34 in the Dome after being down by 2 TD's at halftime. Honestly, even if we were counting Super Bowls, this would still be #1. They had kicked us out of the playoffs 2 of the past 3 years at that point, and to this day it's the only time we've beaten the Pats in the playoffs in 5 chances.
------everything else-------
#2 -- Last week against the Broncos. Completely unexpected even if the game itself was not the most captivating.
#3 -- 2013 AFC Wild Card Game vs Chiefs - Not much to say about this one - winning after being down 38-10 in the second half, Luck miracle fumble recovery for a touchdown, T.Y. Hilton burning people, just amazing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pretty much exactly how I would have done it. I might have included the Thanksgiving game, especially if Harbaugh had stayed so the rivalry only got more heated.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

1) January 4, 1997: The 9-7 Jaguars barely made it into the playoffs in their second year of existence, owing to a five-game winning streak to close the season to even get to the playoffs. In the Wild Card round the Jags barely managed to defeat a Jim Kelly-led Bills team. In the divisional round, the fifth-seeded Jags faced the #1 seed Denver Broncos, led by John Elway. They came into Mile High stadium as 14-point underdogs, a completely justifiable line in the eyes of most. Woody Paige wrote this article... which would ultimately become infamous. The Broncos were at the peak of their powers during this confrontation: Elway had just been united with Terrell Davis, the key to a running game that would ultimately bring him Super Bowl victory. But not this year. This year the Jaguars were a team of miracles and destiny. After a 12-point Broncos first quarter that seemed like it would prove all the prognosticators correct, The Jaguars offense completely took over the game, putting up 20 unanswered points. Denver made it a game late, but the Jaguars were able to maintain their lead and claim a huge victory for their franchise, 30-27. Only to be defeated by the Patriots, gently caress the Patriots, they've always been assholes even before Belichick.

2. December 22, 1996: The Jaguars only had that greatest moment thanks to a five-game winning streak to end the year. But there's a specific moment every Jaguar fan remembers that is responsible for fueling that run into the playoffs. It's the "Elvis dancing on Ed Sullivan" moment for every long-time Jaguar fan. Anyone who was in that stadium for that moment can point to the very spot that it happened. I've had people come to me and ask me which upright it was. I dutifully point south. Morton's Miss. I was seven years old at the time, and I was crying. The miracle wasn't happening. Morton Anderson was good, even I knew that. And this was a 30 yard field goal. That's practically a loving extra point! People don't miss those! I didn't even see it. I couldn't even watch. I was just waiting for the air to go out of the stadium. And then... I heard it. The cheers. It was loving electric. I looked up, I could barely see, but what I could see is that the Jaguars were celebrating and my Dad was shouting HE MISSED IT HE MISSED IT and god dammit so he did and holy poo poo we won 19-17 and we're going to the playoffs!

There's a bit of a drop between two and three. The 1999 season was fantastic, but the electricity, the passion, it just never has been the same since 1996. We're trying to recapture that magic.

3. January 15, 2000: 62-7. The game that drove both Dan Marino and Jimmy Johnson into retirement. All that really needs to be said.

Another drop-off between 3 and 4.

4. January 5, 2008: Any win against the Pittsburgh Steelers is a good win. A win in the final moments on a ridiculous scramble, defeating the Steelers in Heinz Field for a second time that year and giving the Jags their only playoff win of the aughts? Even better. 31-29.

A big drop-off between 4 and 5. And honestly, several wins could take the 5 spot here. This one is just my personal favorite.

5. October 3, 2010: I had to honestly consider four different games for this spot. Two were Colts games and two were Steelers games. Ultimately I picked one of the Colts games, because I already have a Steelers game. I picked this particular Colts game because I like high drama. The 2010 Jaguars were actually pretty good by '00s-era Jaguars standards, finishing 8-8, and they took a pre-spinal injury Peyton Manning-led to the wire (as the Del Rio-led Jaguars were wont to do). There were five seconds left in a hard-fought 28-28 game, and the Jaguars had the ball at the Colts' 43 yard line. There'd be no shame in taking it to overtime, not after all that. But Josh Scobee, he had something else to say about this. He was not going to leave this game to the whims of fate. He went out, and in the closing seconds nailed a 59-yard field goal as time expired, cementing his reputation as a hero of the people. His longest success before that kick? 53 yards.

Surely one of the games you considered for #5 was the 375 game. 375 rushing yards in a 44-17 win over the Colts. 8.9 yards per carry! There have been more meaningful wins, but this game came to mind when I saw this thread. The 9-0 MNF win over the Steelers earlier that season was pretty cool, too.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZCKlonx78

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chichevache posted:

Pretty much exactly how I would have done it. I might have included the Thanksgiving game, especially if Harbaugh had stayed so the rivalry only got more heated.

Yeah, if SF ended up going 11-5 and not making the playoffs by one game behind Seattle / Arizona, I'd be putting that there, but they sort of fell off and now it's not going to be as fun to beat the 49ers :(

Other honorable mentions would have been the 44-0 MNF game in 2005 against Philly, followed by another blowout against the 49ers. Those games highlighted how good the 2005 team was.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

seiferguy posted:

Other honorable mentions would have been the 44-0 MNF game in 2005 against Philly, followed by another blowout against the 49ers. Those games highlighted how good the 2005 team was.

Beating a 4-12 team is hardly a show of strength.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, if SF ended up going 11-5 and not making the playoffs by one game behind Seattle / Arizona, I'd be putting that there, but they sort of fell off and now it's not going to be as fun to beat the 49ers :(

Here's a tip: It's always fun beating your arch rival.

The Raiders have been poo poo for an entire generation and it still owns

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

ArseMan posted:

I'd rank the 2011 NFCCG Packers-Bears game over that '99 game, since I don't remember that at all and the Pack didn't even make the playoffs that year (oh Ray Rhodes...). And who can forget the part in the 2010 game where Rodgers takes his championship belt back? That's what made that game for me.

I missed this before, but the one where Rodgers took back his belt was #1 on my list, Packers@Falcons in the Divisional round. Abraham sacked him and mocked the belt, then Rodgers ran in a TD and took it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Fenrir posted:

I missed this before, but the one where Rodgers took back his belt was #1 on my list, Packers@Falcons in the Divisional round. Abraham sacked him and mocked the belt, then Rodgers ran in a TD and took it back.

That Falcons game was the best. Rodgers solidified his elite status with that game. A prime time audience got to see his ceiling, and obviously it is very high. He was nearly flawless that game.

• Locked thread