Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Here? Absolutely, especially since it hasn't been especially true in like five years. And don't cite The Authority, they look like idiot cowards who can't win fair or even unfair fights plenty of the time. It's one note, but that's the problem with The Authority, not "HHH has to bury everyone".

CM Punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Dean will be eliminated by Bray, after Kane hits him with a monitor when the ref is distracted by a smoke monster.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Still a vastly overused meme, sorry. It's not that it's inherently wrong in this case, it's that practically everything involving HHH turns into "Welp, here comes the shovel!" just like how everything mildly dumb is vinceflex, or everything with Cena is JHON CENAR, or every Roman segment references the Punk podcast.

It's a question of oversaturation, is all.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Sheamus
Brock Lesnar
Curtis Axel
Everyone on the roster during the walkout

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You're not allowed to say facts man. Foochs already said you can't say things here

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hey, real quick, what was HHH's record against the Shield

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Sheamus
Brock Lesnar
Curtis Axel

Okay, fine, I'll rephrase. Since HHH became Authority HHH, de facto becoming a semi-retired heel, and the era we are currently in, name one person he's buried. Also as a counterweight, let's go over the up and coming and/or otherwise important people he's put over on main shows/PPV.

-Bryan
-Rollins
-Reigns
-Briefly Ambrose during the Rollins feud and the Shield/Evolution feud
-Effectively Brock, since The Authority is petrified of him
-Barrett, before he got hurt and it was kinda looking like he might take the role in The Authority that Kane ended up occupying
-Even Brie loving Bella when he sold that kick from her like death during the Steph feud

Modern, heel HHH still has his problems but I wouldn't still call him The Shovel.

projecthalaxy posted:

You're not allowed to say facts man. Foochs already said you can't say things here

I didn't say anyone couldn't say poo poo. I just think the over-reliance on unfunny memes and in-jokes to illustrate a point is mildly irritating. What's so out there about that?

See also: Bryan farm jokes.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

CapnAndy posted:

Hey, real quick, what was HHH's record against the Shield

He lost so hard that they broke up, victory even in defeat

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay, fine, I'll rephrase. Since HHH became Authority HHH, de facto becoming a semi-retired heel, and the era we are currently in, name one person he's buried. Also as a counterweight, let's go over the up and coming and/or otherwise important people he's put over on main shows/PPV.

-Bryan
-Rollins
-Reigns
-Briefly Ambrose during the Rollins feud and the Shield/Evolution feud
-Effectively Brock, since The Authority is petrified of him
-Barrett, before he got hurt and it was kinda looking like he might take the role in The Authority that Kane ended up occupying
-Even Brie loving Bella when he sold that kick from her like death during the Steph feud

Modern, heel HHH still has his problems but I wouldn't still call him The Shovel.

I didn't say anyone couldn't say poo poo. I just think the over-reliance on unfunny memes and in-jokes to illustrate a point is mildly irritating. What's so out there about that?

See also: Bryan farm jokes.

I can't even see the goalposts anymore

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

So Wrestlemania next year at Jerryworld (that's Jones, not Lawler) is official

Once again, I'm surprised it took this long for them to host one

e:

hell yes im going to wrestlemania

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

When everything in WWE's main event always manages to come back to "How does this affect John Cena?"" then the Jhon Cena meme is entirely justified.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CM Punk wasn't buried. He just was never given the absolute top of the card at Wrestlemania.

People seem to be stretching buried with not being on top in regards to him.

Punk was either the 1 or 2 Heel/Face(well 2) from like 2009-2013.

Punk and H didn't get along but if he wanted to Bury Punk, Punk just wouldn't be on TV.(I.E Zach Ryder)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dexo posted:

CM Punk wasn't buried. He just was never given the absolute top of the card at Wrestlemania.

Punk and H didn't get along but if he wanted to Bury Punk, Punk just wouldn't be on TV.(I.E Zach Ryder)

losing any match on tv at all seems to be grounds for calling burial here so you're not gonna make any headway dude

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bring back CM Punk and vinceflex.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I can't even see the goalposts anymore

How am I moving goalposts? My first post was awkwardly phrased but my initial point that it's a little silly to just assume HHH has to get his win back given his behavior over the last year and a half or so and given what he's currently doing is silly, which is all my initial post was trying to convey, I just phrased it clumsily.

Also I love the idea that I still refuse to say anything bad about WWE or how stupid they are when I do it every loving week now.

Dexo posted:

This too. Buried is overused. Axel was a 100% burial. Sheamus was a 100% burial, but that was when he was still active. I don't consider the Brock feud a burial either really, but I gave you that one because I didn't want to dissect the entire feud.

Now, WWE royally hosed up Punk, but they didn't bury him (on screen; the poo poo with his health is just repugnant). There's a difference.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Alouicious posted:

losing any match on tv at all seems to be grounds for calling burial here so you're not gonna make any headway dude

You're being a dingus here, guy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
CM Punk was the hottest commodity in wrestling in 2011 and the WWE focused on Kevin Nash and HHH arguing about text messages and McMahon family bollocks. Punk then lost to HHH after Kevin Nash got mysterious back pain that flairs up any time he has to do the job and never regained that white hot mystique about him. The culmination of CM Punk losing his title due to Kevin Nash interfering was HHH beating Nash in a ladder match.

In fact, at the time they thought that Vince McMahon being ousted was the big draw of Raw and that people would be far more interested in what the McMahon family were up to rather than Mainstream attention grabbing CM Punk.

So yeah, I'd put that into the "HHH fucks something up to placate his ego" box.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's unethical to remember things or recognize patterns. Only blind, meaningless Pollyannaism will be tolerated by the Posting Czar.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

It's unethical to remember things or recognize patterns. Only blind, meaningless Pollyannaism will be tolerated by the Posting Czar.

:jerkbag:

When was the last time I didn't talk about how WWE was loving something up in either a GDT, a discussion thread, or both?

Also to throw you a bone in case you'd say this week: Bryan losing was loving dumb. Ambrose beating the IC Champ clean managed to be both the right decision and loving dumb somehow because WWE is booked by idiots*.

*Vince

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Sheamus
Brock Lesnar
Curtis Axel
These two are even more funny because HHH actually likes them

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Not everything is a loving meme just because its words said a lot by people on the internet about a certain subject.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Daniel Bryan posted:

You're being a dingus here, guy.

the wwe is really badly booked and written but posters in this forum are so insanely histrionic about it I like making fun of them

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

Not everything is a loving meme just because its words said a lot by people on the internet about a certain subject.

Sorry but that's kind of the colloquial meaning now even if it's not strictly correct. See also: literally.

Pretend every use by me of the word meme in the last little while is replaced by "overused joke and/or trope". :)

Alouicious posted:

the wwe is really badly booked and written but posters in this forum are so insanely histrionic about it I like making fun of them

This phrases it better than I could thanks. :)

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

HHH coming out of retirement to beat CM Punk when he was at his absolute hottest and then stop wrestling maybe wasn't a burial, but it sure hurt Punk a lot.

But hey he kicked out of some pedigrees!!!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

HHH coming out of retirement to beat CM Punk when he was at his absolute hottest and then stop wrestling maybe wasn't a burial, but it sure hurt Punk a lot.

Ahem Triple H wrestled after that!

He crushed another young up and comer, Kevin Nash!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I dunno, watching the WWE make spectacularly stupid decisions every time they're given clear solutions is about the only enjoyment I get out of WWE anymore.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm sorry that I started this whole thing, but my whole point was just that I wouldn't be surprised at all if HHH and Vince decided to have HHH go over Brock at Mania. Positioning Brock vs The Authority would make it make storyline sense, and HHH loves winning matches even though it's a fake sport.

I don't think HHH is going out of his way to bury people willy nilly or anything, but I also don't think he has completely changed his stripes and become the selfless saint of pro wrestling in the last few years.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Let's go Cena

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Don't really get the Ascension burial thing to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqpK4U0D3k

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

True I forgot CM Punl being buddy buddy with HHH a couple weeks later and being excited to do commentary for him. I think that promo also featured HHH doing that thing where he verbally mocks everyone on the roster.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This phrases it better than I could thanks. :)

Haha yes Foochs is just having fun! Making fun of all these nerds getting mad about wres--

SamuraiFoochs posted:

gently caress this stupid company. I'm out.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HulkaMatt posted:

No disagreement from me there. WWE hosed that up royally.

Just like they're loving up Ambrose, kinda Bryan 9depending on where they go with it but I struggle to think they'll do the right thing; my cynicism is locked in a deathmatch with "They can't POSSIBLY repeat last year's gently caress up, can they?") and, hilariously, Reigns, the guy they WANT to be over.

I also dislike the Ascension but am flabbergasted that they'd get buried like that. Vince is goddamn insane.

Peanut President posted:

Haha yes Foochs is just having fun! Making fun of all these nerds getting mad about wres--

I guess it's more I find people dumb for using jokes that have been run into the ground when WWE gives them plenty of fresh material weekly, is that better?

Oh and by the way cool job finding a post from a GDT where I'm literally reacting to something in a kneejerk fashion right after it happens (see also: the Early Discussion Thread Meltdowns). It's not like I settled down and looked at it more rationally later or anything. :)

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 20, 2015

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

True I forgot CM Punl being buddy buddy with HHH a couple weeks later and being excited to do commentary for him. I think that promo also featured HHH doing that thing where he verbally mocks everyone on the roster.

Reminder that John Morrison (I think?) walked out on Triple H because he didn't like his leadership, and the very first thing he did when walking back in was tell the new boss that he didn't like his leadership.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

All I rememer about Morrison that period was he wanted to eat my lunch.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Ascension sucked and had a really low ceiling so I find it hard to care, but I think the general idea of what happened is pretty awful and it makes me fear for other NXT talent.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

HulkaMatt posted:

I just always imagine some lapsed fan tuning into Raw for the first time in years to see what all the fuss about this "CM Punk" guy was, seeing HHH and Kevin Nash argue about text messages, have the announcers talk exclusively about the text messages and what the McMahons are up to and immediately tuning out again.

I'll never stop being shocked and annoyed that the first wrestler to get positive mainstream attention since The Rock was used as a catalyst for a HHH Vs Kevin Nash feud in 2011. Not going to say that CM Punk was definitely going to be the next Austin or NWO we'll never know how big he could have become because any momentum he had was funneled into the same old poo poo that didn't work the last fifteen times they tried it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dexo posted:

Dude is the longest reigning WWE Champion in like 25 years, and his Championship matches are taking a backseat on PPV to John Cena vs. John Laurinaitis

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I also dislike the Ascension but am flabbergasted that they'd get buried like that. Vince is goddamn insane.

They're not a serious tag team, they've always been a cartoonish caricature of every hoss team in history. That's what they were and what they continue to be, and by having any time at all on Raw, much less with a bunch of legend teams, they're already way above what they should be doing given their skill set and gimmick.

Like, what was the best case scenario you envisioned for these two that you think THIS is a burial?

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Ascension sucked and had a really low ceiling so I find it hard to care, but I think the general idea of what happened is pretty awful and it makes me fear for other NXT talent.

You should only fear for the guys that have been in NXT forever with no movement, like CJ Parker and I guess Mojo Rawley.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I will honourably bat any time for vinceflex and the Daniel Bryan farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm pretty sure most of the shock with The Ascension isn't the "Getting Beat Up By A Bunch Of Legendary Tag Teams" (which was a logical thing to happen to them anyways) part so much as how loving quickly we got there.

• Locked thread