Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Sockser posted:

At King of Trios, I was waiting to buy a Fire Ant shirt, and there was this like, five year old kid with a lucha mask pulled over his head, like just sitting on his noggin, asking the girl running the merch table if the wrestlers were going to be okay after Deucalion broke their spines.

It was adorable.

I once had to explain to a distraught kid who was sitting in front of me why Matt Hardy turned on Jeff. Poor little guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I'm starting to think that either Orton or Sheamus are going to win/be in the final four. Both have been flying under the radar for a while, and can be thrown right into the Authority storyline if need be.

I can hear the crowd dying already. Maybe I'm misreading things, but I feel like audiences are generally over the same old poo poo like that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also I don't think the Brock thing was unintentional at all. Did anyone notice Brock stole the mic from Paul in the beginning and ran down Rollins while saying nothing about Cena? As insane as it sounds I'm wondering if they meant to turn Brock face. :psyduck:

It's not that insane at all. Both Bryan & Dave on the Observer figure that's exactly what they did.

Basically the plan should have always been that Brock spent the last year or so of his contract as a face. That's just what you do to get good mileage out of someone. But WWE is poo poo at planning and didn't count on this being Brock's last run with the company for a while, so they're shoehorning in his face run here at the end.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Bhester posted:

So far the NXT call-ups are about where they should be on the card. Charlotte's "don't call it a debut" was very mishandled, but that's fixable. Adam Rose and the Ascension being undercarders doesn't make me worried about talented guys like Neville, Zayn, and Kalisto.

It just makes me wonder. Why spend all this time building the Ascension on NXT, training these guys, only to immediately make them fodder and don't even try to get ANYONE over.

Like just hire a couple indie geeks off the street and job them out, don't spend years paying them, training them, and then make them look like clowns.

The Ascension themselves don't really matter but the developmental system of WWE looking useless does.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
How can anyone defend the booking of The Ascension? It boggles the mind.

The tag division is a sea of apathy, they had a chance to at least attempt to push a team above the rest but no, we better make sure everyone knows the whole division sucks and if you care about any team you're an idiot.

VVV Can't speak for other people, but it's just a bit funny that WWE calls up The Ascension when they have so many other, more talented people down there.

Same thing happened with Adam Rose though. I think they just reach a point of "okay this guy isn't improving anymore so gently caress it let's throw him out there and see what happens"

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 20, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
If Lesnar is indeed face, I wouldn't be surprised if HHH is the one to face him at Mania and beat him on the way out. Gotta get that win back!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Alouicious posted:

it's incredible how every single WH2K meme is less funny than any scripted comedy segment that's ever been on Raw

HHH being an rear end in a top hat is a meme?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Alouicious posted:

gotta get his win back keep x strong vinceflex.jpg but what about cena lolololol

But HHH loves getting his wins. It has historic precedent.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Here? Absolutely, especially since it hasn't been especially true in like five years. And don't cite The Authority, they look like idiot cowards who can't win fair or even unfair fights plenty of the time. It's one note, but that's the problem with The Authority, not "HHH has to bury everyone".

I don't hate HHH, I just don't put it past him to be pissy that Brock is leaving for UFC and want to have the "last word".

Plus HHH beat Lesnar at Wrestlemania 29 for no good reason, so it's not like he has been putting guys over when it makes sense for 5 years. He still has his moments where it seems like he really cares if he goes over or not.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm sorry that I started this whole thing, but my whole point was just that I wouldn't be surprised at all if HHH and Vince decided to have HHH go over Brock at Mania. Positioning Brock vs The Authority would make it make storyline sense, and HHH loves winning matches even though it's a fake sport.

I don't think HHH is going out of his way to bury people willy nilly or anything, but I also don't think he has completely changed his stripes and become the selfless saint of pro wrestling in the last few years.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

HulkaMatt posted:

All I rememer about Morrison that period was he wanted to eat my lunch.

I love that it was revealed that this whole thing was just JoMo trying to prove he could get some horrible catchphrase over on a tshirt, and he was proven wrong.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Gonzo McFee posted:

Again, the issue isn't that the Ascension were buried, the issue is that the new tag team that have been protected for years in their developmental were given about two weeks before they decided to job them out in a segment that helps nobody long term.

I mean that could have been the Vaudevillians or Sin Cara and other Mask guy in that spot.

Yeah the Ascension thing just feeds into the WWE seemingly having no desire to plan for the future or break out of their rut at all.

In a perfect world you would have new guys popping up every now and then to freshen up the show. But instead we have Miz & Mizdow vs The Usos twice a week every week for months while they make drat sure no one cares about the new tag team on the block.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Jay 2K Winger posted:

The change happened in FCW, not NXT, but I'm not sure how it happened either. I know that the "Hot Topic dorks" phase, when the Ascension still had like three or four people in it, would do this spot where they would all collectively just go into a frenzy and then maul an opponent in their corner, which at the time seemed pretty cool.

Then they called Colon #3 up to pair him up with Primo, split the sole female member of the Ascension away from them, so it was just Connor O'Brian and Kenneth Cameron. That was when FCW turned into NXT.

Did all that really happen before NXT? Because I remember at least seeing promos and stuff for the Ascension as a unit with the girl, but I've never watched FCW. Maybe I'm misremembering.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

sticklefifer posted:

How exactly does this company write a "reunion" show with Hogan, Nash, Hall, HBK, NAO, and X-Pac, yet they have Nash/Hall/X-Pac represent the nWo and don't have any DX at all, Hogan just being 80s Hogan, and Michaels just being 90s Michaels? It was right there.

Oh they probably had all sorts of alternatives before Vince tore it all up and made them start over

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

bradzilla posted:

Gee I wonder why they don't sell merch for that guy that doesn't work there anymore. Such a mystery.

You mean the guy who sued them over not paying him royalties?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Sockser posted:

Investment. A lot of money spent training them through the years. If you just drop them from developmental, you've got zero ROI. If you stick them on tv and hope for the best, maybe you recoup some losses.

See I totally agree with this, but "making them look like idiots all the time" doesn't really jive. Like at least give them a chance to get over before you give up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

projecthalaxy posted:

Please don't say bad things about Sting. It's important that you not say bad things about Sting. He's as big as a bull and quick as a cat, and IS going to make them push the good wrestlers.

You mean The Vigilante Sting?

Don't want people confusing him with the singer after all.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Havoc904 posted:

I really don't see how getting a beat down by 3 former world champions, a main eventer, a tag team that almost broke the record for world tag title reigns and X-Pac is a burial. Its also not like most of the guys in the ring were in lovely old wrestler shape (like a Greg Valentine), as most of them still looked pretty fit. Plus the Ascension get a real match against the Outlaws where they can prove if they can back up their words.

I like the storyline of a young tag team that runs their mouth about being alot better then some legends and then have to back it up alot more then the usual tag team introduction for the past decade.

The problem is they're never going to be able to back it up. They got beat up by all those old guys and will never get revenge on most of them. I don't think you should tell the audience "yeah remember these awesome old guys you all love? The new guys are terrible, nowhere near as cool as those guys"

Yeah they'll get to beat up on the Outlaws, big whoop.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
It wasn't a push when Heath Slater would get beat up by legends, and it's not a push when the Ascension gets beat up by legends. You don't get a rub just by being around old guys and getting beat up.

Here's a handy trick I use to decide how interested the WWE is in someone: think "Would they do this to John Cena? Or Randy Orton?"

Randy Orton was the legend killer, he was not the "gets beat up by Dusty Rhodes guy"

The Ascension won't be credible any time soon, I promise you.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

fart blood posted:

I will never understand people saying Rowan is good.

He's not good. He's not even slow improving, like others say. He flat out stinks.

I just...I don't understand some people. I'm perplexed. Bewildered. Bamboozled. Flummoxed. Confused, even.

People latch on to any new person in WWE who gets a push at all. We're that desperate for something different.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

fatherdog posted:

Why exactly do you think that Zayn and Itami and that group will be treated like the Ascension and not like, say, Rusev?

If Zayn and Itami were anywhere near as big as Rusev that would be one big checkmark on their side haha.

They seem like they could go either way, depending on how Vince is feeling at the time. They're not large enough for Vince to go crazy over them, but they are great so he may decide to reward talent at that moment.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Alouicious posted:

so they are literally nothing like The Ascension, who are both decently big and are absolute poo poo in the ring

Well to me, the fact that they seemingly have zero interest in protecting big guys like The Ascension makes me worry about the smaller NXT guys. Vince has traditionally gone out of his way to make big guys look good, and let the smaller guys flounder. Them giving up on The Ascension immediately is not a good sign in my book.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I feel like Miz & Mizdow won't do anything of note in the Rumble really and we'll all be disappointed.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

So that's what a troll doll would look like in real life.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Sorry to bring up The Ascension again, but I had a thought. Maybe they are purposefully making them seem a bit lovely, because they are going to pair them with Wyatt and have him "save" them and make them into killers.

I mean there are better ways to pair them with Wyatt, but I think him having some heavies would help out his program with Taker going into Mania. Gives Taker some fodder to chokeslam while Wyatt sneaks away.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Efexeye posted:

I'm sorry triplexpac you seem like a good dude but where in the gently caress do you come up with this poo poo?

I'm grasping at straws to figure out why WWE is the way they are. It's a fool's game, I know.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Fsmhunk posted:

I want a completely unironic slapnuts t-shirt.

Same. I'm re-watching all this old WCW stuff and drat I loved Double J back in the day. I'd wear that shirt with pride (in the solitude of my apartment)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Static Rook posted:

This is true, but a lot of the blame has to go on the stupid road agent who A. called for Cody to moonsault off a loving cage on a Raw and B. asked a 45 year old Road Dogg to catch him. There were photos from house shows around the time , and whenever Cody did the cage moonsault it was always Cesaro catching him because, y'know, he's strong and in shape and has experience with that kinda thing.

Cody was doing moonsaults off cages on house shows? Jesus

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I don't really like putting NXT guys on TV before they have a program ready for them. Random matches, rumble appearances, I feel like it cheapens the eventual "real" debut a bit.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Sheamus will make his big return and win the Rumble

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Golashes posted:

My friend was on a flight with him from STL to NY last night :O

It would own if he won but if they aren't sure he's 100% i wonder if they'll hold back on it?

When Cena had his big surprise win he wasn't 100%. Edge was also rushed back from injury to the Rumble.

Maybe they've learned from history but I doubt it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

bradzilla posted:

Orton winning the Rumble? :lol: I guess being gone really does make the heart grow fonder or whatever. I'd like to see Orton back because he's a good babyface with cool power moves. His title run from Summerslam 2013 to WMXXX should be enough for no one to ever want to see him in the main event again, though.

I don't want it to happen, but Orton being a "surprise return" and winning would be the kind of tone-deaf thing the WWE loves to do.

Edit: They'll have Kane cheat and eliminate Daniel Bryan to really stick it to the fans too

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I wish WWE could figure out a way to push a guy naturally, where it doesn't feel completely forced. Last year during the Rumble match I actually got really behind Reigns and wanted to see him win. This year if he wins I'll just shrug.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Orgophlax posted:

The fact that Bryan can still get a whole arena to YES! chant, complete with arm action, after being away for so long should be all the incentive WWE needs to have him win the Rumble.

Godfather could get a whole arena to yell "HOOOO TRAAAAIN", should he win the Rumble too?

Edit: Lol oh I see Roman subscribes to the "if you're not a wrestler you can't critique wrestling" school of thought. Now I really don't want him to win.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Korelle posted:

I hope Roman Reigns wins the Rumble to thunderous cheers, and Wrestlemania draws the greatest buyrate of all time to hail the new Golden Age of Wrestling while people whine about it on the internet every step of the way.

What exactly are you mad about people for? Hating Roman's lovely promos? Not being thrilled with his matches while he worked through an injury? His lukewarm crowd reactions?

I don't hate the guy but he also isn't blowing me away.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The fact is that, as he is right now, Roman Reigns would be a fairly lackluster Mania main eventer. There are better options out there.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just listened to Observer.

They're going to be shocked that Daniel Bryan is popular until the day they die.

It was sooooo depressing having Dave spell out very clearly that Vince & HHH will never take someone seriously if they're not big enough. Using Daniel Bryan and the Wolves as examples haha.

For those that don't remember (I actually forgot), the American Wolves had a NXT tryout on TV vs the Ascension and actually got a good match out of them. So of course HHH decides to push The Ascension and not sign The Wolves.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Orgophlax posted:

The irony here is if they would've had Reigns win last year, he would've gotten a great pop.

Yeah I was pulling for Reigns to win last year by the end.

I can't imagine it's an easy task, but the trick with pushing a guy is you have to make the audience feel like THEY are the ones pushing him. Don't just be "Oh you like Bryan? Well gently caress you here's Reigns".

You know, like the WWE always says: "we listen to our fans". They need to actually do that, not just pay it lip service.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone think the reaction would have been different if they had put Reigns in as a surprise entrant? Like not mention him coming back at all for the Rumble until it happened (similar to Edge and Cena those years they won).

Yeah that would have helped. Anything to take away the feeling of the WWE ramming him down our throats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
This Rumble seemed to really emphasize how weak the roster is right now. WWE makes so many of their guys afterthoughts, it's amazing.

Like imagine NJPW doing a battle royal (a real one, not the jobber one from WK). Or ROH, or any other company. You'd have 30 guys who cover the entire spectrum of "possibly could win this match"

In WWE it's "well it's either Roman or DB. That's it. Rest are all anywhere from 10% chance to 0%"

• Locked thread