Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MacDougall posted:

Orton was a global meme about 2 months ago. He'll come back to a monster pop through the absence making the heart grow fonder principle and they need to capitalise on it. He was pissed at Rollins before he left. If they put him in the Rumble and he loses it he'll be back to square one so fast. They need to take advantage of his initial pop and get him super hot. He should be Rollins Mania feud. Let Rollins hold the case for a little while longer. Their feud could get them both more over than ever.

Orton will be fine and no more or less over no matter what they do with him, as the past years and years of Randy Orton has proved. He doesn't need a Rumble win and losing won't hurt him one bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't see Ascension as any more of a threat than Los Matadores. They're pretty much there to fill a spot in the tag division, which is fine because it's a step towards not seeing the same Usos/Dust Bros matches over and over again.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I also dislike the Ascension but am flabbergasted that they'd get buried like that. Vince is goddamn insane.

They're not a serious tag team, they've always been a cartoonish caricature of every hoss team in history. That's what they were and what they continue to be, and by having any time at all on Raw, much less with a bunch of legend teams, they're already way above what they should be doing given their skill set and gimmick.

Like, what was the best case scenario you envisioned for these two that you think THIS is a burial?

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Ascension sucked and had a really low ceiling so I find it hard to care, but I think the general idea of what happened is pretty awful and it makes me fear for other NXT talent.

You should only fear for the guys that have been in NXT forever with no movement, like CJ Parker and I guess Mojo Rawley.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It's more the general principle behind it rather than the specific incident.

And no, they've been like that on the main roster, when Vince got to them. They were extremely serious on NXT.

The anime vampires were serious? What show were you watching

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Why would you bring up guys just to make them look like dorks? Why would you take a tag team that you've poured four years of training into just to go "Look at these geeks, they're awful."

I mean if they suck let them suck on their own terms and don't just make them look like geeks to a bunch of guys who aren't going to be there next week.

Because they ARE dorks.

Because they put four years into these guys and what they got was garbage.

They are sucking on their own terms. Again, these guys are Adam Rose, not Bray Wyatt. They retained their NXT gimmicks, got some new attire and some TV time, and look at them now. How many weeks of having the worst segments on Raw were we expected to endure before they did the one segment (last night's) that would get them any measure of heat or reaction?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Serious in the sense that they were booked strongly. As opposed to getting clowned by dudes with a mean age of about 50 or so. Not serious like Kevin Owens serious.

Clowned by the New Age Outlaws, who held the tag titles around this time last year.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That was bad too though.

Who cares. This is like people getting salty about Zack Ryder, except these guys ain't got a bajillion views/follows/hi5's

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Plus you just don't do that with talent as a loving rule. I mean the roster is thin enough as it is without going "Hey, see these new guys? They're loving terrible". Not saying that there's any great loss with the Ascension but you work with what you've got. Accentuate the positives, hide the negatives for fucks sake.

The positive is that they made me laugh last night, hope this helps

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that only indie darlings and the best wrestlers of all time, as well as people I like, should ever be given chances, everyone else should be a dumb jobber or never, ever be seen.

This but unironically. It's not a controversial opinion to say I want to see guys that are good and that I like, as opposed to lovely, boring wrestlers or that those same lovely wrestlers are best used as jobbers or in comedy segments where I *might* laugh or react in any way to them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lumbermouth posted:

Or use them in, I don't know, matches against existing tag teams? The WWE tag scene is loving terrible right now and I thought that bringing up the Ascension would at least add a little variety to the 'Usos vs. Dusts/Mizdow/whoever' holding pattern that they've locked into in the past six months. Instead, we get that same tag match over and over again AND an Ascension segment where no one gets over.

Why do you think they won't settle into this role eventually?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Yeah they'll get to beat up on the Outlaws, big whoop.

That's as big or a bigger deal than beating Los Matadores or Gold/Stardust at this point, or trading wins/losses for 6 months with the Usos.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Rusev was in a lot of ways fortunate. He was a generic big guy up to and including that Rumble he was in. Then he got an Ivan Drago gimmick along with the best manager in forever, and then somehow managed to avoid the Cena Monster long enough to keep his mystique and become pretty good in the ring meanwhile. Any of these things could have gone wrong and they didn't.

Don't sell him short though. In terms of selling, he's one of the best on the roster right now. I could watch that dude get his ankle snapped for hours.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shine posted:

I did a complete 180 on him during that Swagger program. From consistently selling the ankle throughout the match (instead of the usual "do my normal spots perfectly and then remember that I'm supposed to be hurt and hobble a tad" crap most people do), to modifying the Accolade around it, to eventually using the Accolade normally with a look of agony on his face, which turned to elation when Swagger passed out, that whole performance was awesome. I'm pretty sure he was still selling it on RAW the next day. Rusev owns.

Absolutely. He and Lana have both been killing it in their own way for a year, and I don't think it's just being placed in a favourable spot. Hell, there's a universe where they could have suffered the same fate as Muhummad Hassan after they were given that offensive Malaysia Airlines promo at Battleground.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

From what I've seen of her out of character I bet she'd be wonderful on Total Divas.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

that's a really bad gimmick tho

Bad gimmicks? On my wrestling program?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I said it earlier, but I really think this is what is going to happen. He's been gone long enough that he'll get a good pop (although, it's a Philly crowd, so it might be a 2008 Cena Rumble reaction) and then we've got an automatic feud ready with Rollins, should he walk out with the belt that night.

I don't think anyone but Bryan winning is going to get a 'good pop'. Quite the opposite actually.

Actually they might get a good pop if someone includes their half-full soda in the garbage they throw in the ring.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm pretty sure ^^^ might be the result, plus about seven layers of overbooking with Paul Heyman, maybe Orton, and possibly Rusev if they're going that way with Cena.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Man I wish they'd go with John Pollock's idea of a heel Rollins and a heel Reigns managed by Heyman, running a babyface Brock Lesnar out of WWE at Mania.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Roman Reigns posted:

I know it was meant to be a joke when a goon suggested this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rowan sneaks into the rumble as the bunny

I would be pretty surprised because of how obvious it'd be when 'the bunny' came down and was twice the size of Gabriel/Zayn/whoever was playing the bunny before.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

And he's kinda not wrong; most of us probably have no idea how hard it is to even run the ropes or bump (PSPers with training excluded of course). It doesn't mean he can't be critiqued in context, but I'm willing to bet plenty of dumbasses say stuff like "I COULD DO BETTER IT'S NOT THAT HARD JEEZ" while not having a clue. I'm not saying here, but like, dumbasses on Twitter and poo poo.

This is the kind of thing I expect to read on TNAsylum about Dixie or Bram. Of course I can critique the thing or things I'm being asked to pay for. "You can't comment cuz you never locked up" is about the most braindead response to criticism that exists.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

All he said is he tunes out criticism from randos on the internet about how he wrestles. I don't see what's inherently wrong with that.

He doesn't make any distinction between 'randos on the internet' or anyone else criticizing him that never wrestled. That's Meltzer, every poster here but Manflurry and Nick Lovin, and scores of others.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Upon re-reading it, you are correct, I guess I just took from the rest of the tone of the answer (that he laughs it off) that he's more rational than the Magnuses and the Al Snows of the world. Maybe I'm totally wrong and if I am he's a dummy. Cool? :)

I mean, there well could be something in the tone of his answer that was lost in the translation but it just seems lazy to address criticism that way. It's not, however, unexpected from someone so high in the WWE hierarchy that his public persona is extremely likely to be very massaged and micromanaged that he couldn't exactly put specific people on blast or address those critics in a substantial way.

Great White Hope posted:

Maybe that's because the internet is a big place and making a special remark about every group of people is stupid.

Yes, that's the point.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WeaponX posted:

why does he need so many pockets?

Snacks

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If weather forces WWE to cancel Raw in addition to SD I am going to be pissed the gently caress off at Mother Nature. I NEED FALLOUT GODDAMN IT

All the fallout you could ever want is the Rock's embarassed/embarassing promo on the post-show last night, along with the fan that held up a 'BLUE PANTS' sign behind Renee at the desk.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chromatic posted:

I don't know if The Rock looks embarrassed to be there or if he's just tired as hell. Dude is working on 4 movies at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgvrOVH2Erc

I think it's the strain of having to put lipstick on this pig. Them being so antagonistic towards the interviewer, and not really in a usual 'Rock busts on Cole/Coach' way, comes off as awkward as hell.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chromatic posted:

That might be it. All reports say Rock was pissed at all the rewrites at the last minute and the clusterfuck at the end of the show.

Thing is, I don't believe that much of anything involving Bryan, Reigns, or that finish was a last minute rewrite. This seems to have been their plan all along, which is even more depressing because they should've anticipated this.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

Does J.R. still mention the WWE in his blogs ? I wonder what he will write about the Rumble...

He said on his podcast last week that WWE has to put on a blow-away show and that there's really no other possible winner than Daniel Bryan so who knows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

They did anticipate it. They (Vince) just thought that people would've gotten over Bryan in time for the ending. Which honestly might have happened if it hadn't turned into "hey look at these big guys in their late 40s poo poo all over everyone you like!"

I'm wondering if it'd been better with Bryan in Bray's spot. Either way, not having Bryan in at least the final four if not the final two was so boneheaded you'd think this was the first Rumble they ever put on.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

because Vince cannot reconcile the fact that big men don't get everyone's dick hard like they do his

But they do get my dick hard, just as long as they're built like big men and not whiny, cowardly babies or blubbering idiots who can't get a sentence out.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

oatgan posted:

Bryan shouldnt have been in the rumble in the first place but having him eliminated early before the golden child even hit the ring was the only correct thing they did to mitigate the damage to Roman

wow what would the ending have looked like if they decided not to mitigate the damage?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

super macho dude posted:

The big question now is where does this leave Johan Cena? Whats his Wrestlemania match? Its too early to speculate, I know, but I hope they find something for him soon :ohdear: he has very sensitive feelings. Rusev still needs to get squashed by the Big Guy, so I dont see him facing Cena.

Bryan will probably get shoehorned into a loving Bray Wyatt feud.

Cena gets Rusev at Mania. Ryback/Rusev probably happens on sme random Raw (and then Smackdown and then Raw again).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

One thing I'm surprised about is that they did so little at the Rumble to set up Mania.

Maybe it's always been this way, but I feel like you normally have a better sense of where they're going. Like, I am sure a lot of us watched the Rumble with friends who don't normally watch wrestling. Wouldn't it make sense to have "hey get ready for this cool match at Mania" teases to get them interested in another PPV?

I think we got some idea of what they're doing. We'll probably get Paige/Nattie, Cena/Rusev, Reigns/Brock, Goldust/Stardust, and Mizdow/Miz. Sting/HHH is already starting to be set up. Outside of the tag titles and the Taker program if any, that's most of the card.

Though if they're intent on doing Bryan/Sheamus I have no idea why they didn't start that build last night unless they're keeping their options open for Bryan/Bray if Taker can't go.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I don't count the post-show, because god drat I'm not watching that poo poo after 3 hours of PPV. I'm talking about on-the-PPV proper angles to build up Mania for casual fans who don't watch anything but big PPVs.

HHH/Sting was BARELY teased. Like my non-wrestling fan buddy thought they were talking about Sting the singer, they could have done something more to put over this potential Mania match.

He was on the go-home show, there's no reason they couldn't have continued with that angle at the PPV.

It's hilarious that after last night, HHH has TWO potential opponents with some semblance of build for Mania - Sting and the Rock - while Bryan has zero.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Like he's got anywhere else to go. I wonder if he demanded that they put Velvet in NXT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

I'm surprised WWE runs shows in Philly at all anymore. Maybe this will be the last straw.

Dave was saying this probably would've happened anywhere in the Northeast US, and I believe it. Toronto and Montreal as well.

• Locked thread