Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

i dont know about the moderation is good thing, its like saying you can do the rape a little bit as long as you don't do it too often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jibajuice
Dec 19, 2014
Actually, the monks are loving rich which absolutely disagree with the creed of Buddhism. The Buddha sculpture also requited the golden layer; so, even the Buddha loves the gold.

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax

First Jhāna — the five hindrances have completely disappeared and intense unified bliss remains. Only the subtlest of mental movement remains, perceivable in its absence by those who have entered the second jhāna. The ability to form unwholesome intentions ceases. The remaining qualities are: "directed thought, evaluation, rapture, pleasure, unification of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity & attention"
Second Jhāna — all mental movement utterly ceases. There is only bliss. The ability to form wholesome intentions ceases as well. The remaining qualities are: "internal assurance, rapture, pleasure, unification of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention"
Third Jhāna — one-half of bliss (joy) disappears. The remaining qualities are: "equanimity-pleasure, unification of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity & attention"
Fourth Jhāna — The other half of bliss (happiness) disappears, leading to a state with neither pleasure nor pain, which the Buddha said is actually a subtle form of happiness (more sublime than pīti and sukha). The breath is said to cease temporarily in this state. The remaining qualities are: "a feeling of equanimity, neither pleasure nor pain; an unconcern due to serenity of awareness; unification of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity & attention"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

if you want to hear some hosed up poo poo, think about jains

they cant kill anything so if they get worms they just have to have worms crawling around their butt forever

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
If the goal of buddhism is to escape the cycle of reincarnation and to help all beings do so, then how can we be sure buddhist monks are not plotting to destroy the entire universe as we speak?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I kept waiting for all that Jhana poo poo to happen and now it's all totally irrelevant. Dunno what these people were going on about. A way to have their cake and eat it too. Can't listen to Buddhists anymore.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

buddhists can suck my dick (in moderation)

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'm living in filth and could use some protein, oh hey little rat here is some milk and hi mister cow yes you may wander the streets to poo poo and piss

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

hinduism is probably better, hth

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Pththya-lyi posted:

This fat dude is a Chinese folkloric figure called Budai ("Cloth Sack"). He is believed to be based on a 10th-century monk.

This thin guy is Gautama Buddha, the guy who founded Buddhism. He was alive between the 6th- and 4th-centuries BCE.
:goonsay:

I like the fat one better, he looks like he's fun to have around. The skinny one looks like he's gonna steal your rice bowl, and not give it back because material wealth leads away from path to enlightenment and the bear crosses the stream even tho there are still fish in it.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Let us all chant the Om mantra to symbolize the vibrations that give life and heat death to the universe. Rejoice with me as we all sublime into the pristine harmony of emptiness.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

TOOT BOOT posted:

i dont know about the moderation is good thing, its like saying you can do the rape a little bit as long as you don't do it too often

shoot urself in the head in moderation

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

TOOT BOOT posted:

Raping is inherently immoderate. Do you really need to force an unwilling person to get your rocks off for you?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pththya-lyi posted:

This thin guy is Gautama Buddha, the guy who founded Buddhism. He was alive between the 6th- and 4th-centuries BCE.
:goonsay:

Why does the girlyman have such tiny hands? Was he a transman?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

toggle posted:

First one. But without the weed.

meditation owns, everyone needs to do it

i read the buddhism thread once and they all agreed that alan watts wasn't a real buddhist because he only talked about meditation and the nature of being a human being and not about being reincarnated as a tree vole or saying the special mantra that allows you to be reborn in the buddhist teacher universe where you do ten thousand prostrations a day

it was super cool

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FullLeatherJacket posted:

i read the buddhism thread once and they all agreed that alan watts wasn't a real buddhist because he only talked about meditation and the nature of being a human being and not about being reincarnated as a tree vole or saying the special mantra that allows you to be reborn in the buddhist teacher universe where you do ten thousand prostrations a day

it was super cool

That buddhist thread, aside from a chosen few, is full mostly of westerners who want all the trappings of Eastern Buddhism, including the rituals, prostrations, gurus, etc. which I find curious but commendable I suppose, since the other direction, this barebones western psychology influenced Buddhism that is so removed from its context as to be useless. So I find myself criticizing both options. The first because it's superstitious without cultural context and the second because it just lacks any kind of context in the first place and adds filler and lingo in its place for the self help crowd.

So I basically came to the conclusion of, don't be a Buddhist in the West. We're still waiting for Our Thing. Christianity is dead, Buddhism ain't it, what's it gonna be.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:gitgud:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

a posting ghost posted:

Christianity is dead, Buddhism ain't it, what's it gonna be.
All hail Cyber Atheism

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Disco Infiva posted:

I like the fat one better, he looks like he's fun to have around.

And now you know why everyone puts a Budai in their Chinese restaurant

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

it was super cool

The whole ritual thing is something that developed over the centuries and it's kind of pointless. Bowing 100 times to the Buddha won't help you too much on the path to enlightenment. But you have to give people something to do.

The Tathāgata was really chill when it comes to rules for lay people, but he really went all out with the poor monks.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
believe in one god do we
satan almighteeeey

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

a posting ghost posted:

That buddhist thread, aside from a chosen few, is full mostly of westerners who want all the trappings of Eastern Buddhism, including the rituals, prostrations, gurus, etc. which I find curious but commendable I suppose, since the other direction, this barebones western psychology influenced Buddhism that is so removed from its context as to be useless. So I find myself criticizing both options. The first because it's superstitious without cultural context and the second because it just lacks any kind of context in the first place and adds filler and lingo in its place for the self help crowd.

So I basically came to the conclusion of, don't be a Buddhist in the West. We're still waiting for Our Thing. Christianity is dead, Buddhism ain't it, what's it gonna be.

pretty much

you'll find that i like the Watts "get blazed; make tea; live on a boat" approach a lot, but I get that it doesn't actually say anything about the end of suffering other than that you should stop being such a damned boring rear end in a top hat all the time and listen to this cool anecdote instead *bangs gong; laughs at own joke for three minutes*

on the other hand I can't help but laugh when people start to basically do the "But The Buddha Said So" routine, where you basically decide that "enlightenment" means you can see the future; other universes; absorb knowledge from the ether and then everything you say from thereon out must hold true in all cases and woe betide you if you don't follow all of the rules

so I guess my point is hail Satan

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
He was trying to explain his ideas to people indoctrinated in a culture of millions of gods, reincarnation, etc... even with the best car analogy, information is lost. So then, and today, we have people arguing over drive train configuration, transmission, seating capacity, color, and trim package, having forgotten--or missed--that the car was never the subject to begin with.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

TOOT BOOT posted:

its more of there is a correct amount of all things, and the correct amount can be 0.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

He was trying to explain his ideas to people indoctrinated in a culture of millions of gods, reincarnation, etc... even with the best car analogy, information is lost. So then, and today, we have people arguing over drive train configuration, transmission, seating capacity, color, and trim package, having forgotten--or missed--that the car was never the subject to begin with.

That arrow analogy he uses is pretty good. After achieving enlightenment he even wondered if it was worth trying to teach since people were so indoctrinated in the old ways.

Also, anything outside the Pali Canon is a much later addition. I'm sure the Buddha went to one of the Heavens to explain theology to some divines because humans were too dumb to understand it lol get wrecked Mahayana :argh:

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Decebal posted:

The whole ritual thing is something that developed over the centuries and it's kind of pointless. Bowing 100 times to the Buddha won't help you too much on the path to enlightenment. But you have to give people something to do.

The Tathāgata was really chill when it comes to rules for lay people, but he really went all out with the poor monks.

rituaistic motions provide a good avenue for engaging in mindfulness.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's actually extremely gay

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
i haven't been able to find any instances of the buddhists in myanmar actually using buddhism to support their murders because the religion is pretty clear that killing is wrong and it is more noble to let someone tear you limb from limb than to raise weapons against them

they justify their stuff with politics, economics, and racism. they mostly just "happen" to be buddhist, unlike, say, muslims that explicitly cite the quran to support themselves.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

spacemang_spliff posted:

i was going to post "tell that to the muslims in myanmar" but you did it better

Good job to the buddhists in Burma for Fighting the Terrorists Over There So We Don't Have to Fight Them Over Here.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Pththya-lyi posted:

This fat dude is a Chinese folkloric figure called Budai ("Cloth Sack"). He is believed to be based on a 10th-century monk.

he is also considered to be an avatar of the maitreya buddha, the next presiding buddha after guatama buddha

he is called "the happy buddha" or "the laughing buddha"

i guess the next age of the world is way better than this one

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

a posting ghost posted:

everyone who was ever enlightened or some dumb such poo poo did it her own way in her own time

then a bunch of know nothings latched onto the brightest light they could find and dragged it back down into the mud where everyone could get at it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

you'll find that i like the Watts "get blazed; make tea; live on a boat" approach a lot, but I get that it doesn't actually say anything about the end of suffering other than that you should stop being such a damned boring rear end in a top hat all the time and listen to this cool anecdote instead *bangs gong; laughs at own joke for three minutes*

what in here is not about the end of suffering?

look if you wanna find out how to live look for someone with a sparkle in his eyes and just emulate him until you find out how a sparkle like that develops in your own being

also you'll never be "too good" at it, so don't be afraid to keep trying

easy peezy

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Voodoo is the one true faith.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

ashgromnies posted:

they justify their stuff with politics, economics, and racism. they mostly just "happen" to be buddhist, unlike, say, muslims that explicitly cite the quran to support themselves.

Actually time magazine published an article saying mean things about.buddhists and there were several days worth of peaceful protests which is definitely equivalent tothe Charlie hebdo thing

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Business Octopus posted:

Actually time magazine published an article saying mean things about.buddhists and there were several days worth of peaceful protests which is definitely equivalent tothe Charlie hebdo thing

lol

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

"Actually i do feel the need to apologize for genociders"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

it's cool man they probably don't give a f about your tenuous excuses anyways, they're pretty happy genociding without your indirect support

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Buddhism was the only religion cool enough for Carl Sagan to tolerate

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

caral sagan like the rest of us was a twerp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Ema Nymton posted:

Buddhism was the only religion cool enough for Carl Sagan to tolerate

Einstein apparently said some good things about it, although the evidence is a bit flimsy. 2 reasonably smart people . makes you think

• Locked thread