Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I saw it yesterday on TV and it was so good. Haven't legitimately cried about a movie in a long time. Zero moralizing. Life and death. Heavy stuff. The voiceovers were haunting.. "Do you think you would suffer less if you believed in goodness, in truth?" There were some other ones

Not that everyone should see it, but it's the best war movie I've seen.

Also George Clooney cameo for some reason

What did everyone else think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Robo Reagan easily claims first post

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
I hated this movie when I saw it in the theater. I was expecting Saving Private Ryan II.

Over the years I have warmed to it every viewing. Now it's one of my favorites. Check out Days of Heaven

http://youtu.be/UkqiWhAxy_Y

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It is Terrence Malick's (the 2nd best American film maker) 3rd best move I will both physically and E fight anyone who claims otherwise.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
watch it and tell us about it loser

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

mrlego posted:

I hated this movie when I saw it in the theater. I was expecting Saving Private Ryan II.

Over the years I have warmed to it every viewing. Now it's one of my favorites. Check out Days of Heaven

Days of Heaven is a movie with incredibly good cinematography but the rest is dull as dishwater and the main characters are stupid assholes. It's a film I have mixed opinions on :v:

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Days of Heaven is a movie with incredibly good cinematography but the rest is dull as dishwater and the main characters are stupid assholes. It's a film I have mixed opinions on :v:

You are retarded Days Of Heaven is about as good as a movie can be in All ways.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mrlego posted:

Will do, thanks.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I thought it was boring as gently caress, like all of Malick's movies.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The first movie I have really seen that addresses mortality and facing death so intensely. And it does it in a way where it doesn't even end up trying to tell you anything, it's like a brutal jaunt through the grapplings with mortality of every soldier on the ground during the American invasion of Guadalcanal. It was really well done, even the love portion about one soldier's girl back home (she ends up leaving him even as he is pining for her the whole time he's gone..so much for that)

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
good movie is good. whatapost

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

I thought it was boring as gently caress, like all of Malick's movies.

Funnily enough, that's what I think about.....

What is the Dennis System anyway?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
95% of Thin Red Line:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

a posting ghost posted:

Funnily enough, that's what I think about.....

What is the Dennis System anyway?

It's a reference to the American television program "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia".

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

95% of Thin Red Line:

The movie is about a rifle company assaulting a Japanese machinegun bunker, that couldn't possibly be true. Anyway there's like 3 battle scenes and they're brutal (the failed attack, the flank attack, and the overrun). But it was the voiceovers that did it for me.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hereby give as brutal a text "gently caress you and your mother" as I can to anyone who thinks Terrence Malick's movies aren't brilliant.

I invite you to slow-suck my grandmother's cock.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

95% of Thin Red Line:

do you really think someone would do that? go on the internet and tell lies? is this darkness in them too?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Rando posted:

I hereby give as brutal a text "gently caress you and your mother" as I can to anyone who thinks Terrence Malick's movies aren't brilliant.

I invite you to slow-suck my grandmother's cock.

99% of his movies are just the camera pointing up at the sky through trees.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Dennis System posted:

99% of his movies are just the camera pointing up at the sky through trees.

99% of you is poo poo-for-brains not knowing what he's looking at.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
malick is a catholic u papis gently caress

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I like how the director builds and builds the tension, and then when they finally meet the Japanese the army dudes get blown the gently caress away pronto. Still pretty shocking to watch and I can't think of a better war movie :colbert:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a dinosaur hesitates... proflound

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Omi-Polari posted:

I like how the director builds and builds the tension, and then when they finally meet the Japanese the army dudes get blown the gently caress away pronto. Still pretty shocking to watch and I can't think of a better war movie :colbert:

I'm saying

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
he made martin sheen a catholic...deal with that saganistas

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

it was boring as gently caress and if you already saw saving private ryan theres no reason to see the thin red line

:colbert:

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Bear Suit posted:

it was boring as gently caress and if you already saw saving private ryan theres no reason to see the thin red line

:colbert:

I will let this scrub tier opinion slide for balance

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
It was something I wanted to like more than I actually liked it. Haven't given it a shot in years though

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
loving awesome score too.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bishop posted:

It was something I wanted to like more than I actually liked it. Haven't given it a shot in years though

I can definitely understand this.

If someone didn't like the movie it's not like they have bad taste but to say it was boring?? Were they paying attention? A bunch of poo poo happened. A dude blew off his butt with a grenade. War happened!! What did they want, more, or less war?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
don't get me wrong, I love the movie, its shitloads better than saving private rion and is the most accurate portrayal of ww2 thus far

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

mrlego posted:

I feel the same way. It's aged far better then saving private Ryan.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

a posting ghost posted:

A dude blew off his butt with a grenade.

The ONLY good part of the movie.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i killed a man. the worst thing you can do. ..worse than rape

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
as an atheist the incongruous spiritual elements appealed to my dried up soul

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I love that shot where the plant withers in front of that guys face. It was perfect.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The only part i didn't like was sean penns guy telling the awol guy that it was all for nothing and he was dying for nothing. It didn't fit the rest of the movie, was nihilistically bleak..also its like, motherfucker, this guy is risking his life for you, hes gonna assault that bunker so you don't have to. You should be thanking him, or at least keep your mouth shut. Thats why the awol guy didnt say anything back, and then i never saw them talk again. Two scenes later sean penns talking about how he still feels..something. So incongruous. Only thing that stuck out

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

the opening shot of the crocodile going underwater sets the tone nicely

all the people are brown worn down mud covered compared to the lovely greens and blues of the environment

the islander chanting songs are quite nice and moving

nick nolte is a sad sack of a commander :smith:

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's the only 3+ hour movie I've seen that I didn't want to end.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Second Sun posted:

tree of life brother

with barely a word the man understand childhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Second Sun posted:

Same. I watched all the credits too. Good thing about fox movies in asia is they don't cut any of the credits, even the logo at the end etc. For that after movie ambience

• Locked thread