Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
It's depressing and boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

It's depressing and boring

ur not a real catholic

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

tree of life brother

with barely a word the man understand childhood

Gonna see it now, had never considered it before. I have a feeling this guy could have done Aronofsky's The Fountain way better than he did, even though it was pretty good. Just overwrought. Another movie I really liked even so.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a posting ghost posted:

Gonna see it now, had never considered it before. I have a feeling this guy could have done Aronofsky's The Fountain way better than he did, even though it was pretty good. Just overwrought. Another movie I really liked even so.

the man translater heidegger, converted martin sheen to catholicism. hes no dogmatist he just has the analogical spirit.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

a posting ghost posted:

Gonna see it now

Enjoy :)

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also Prometheus, hamhanded as gently caress. Haven't even read the thread about it

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a posting ghost posted:

Also Prometheus, hamhanded as gently caress. Haven't even read the thread about it

then watch Into Great Silence. no kidding it's superb

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was boring and hard to follow because I was 15 when I saw it, and probably retarded. I should give it another shot at some point.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

Hmmm, ok. I will try thanks

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Twitch posted:

I thought it was boring and hard to follow because I was 15 when I saw it, and probably retarded. I should give it another shot at some point.

You should. It is not a action movie and at 15 that's disappointing.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Orkin Mang posted:

This I can support

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Rando posted:

I hereby give as brutal a text "gently caress you and your mother" as I can to anyone who thinks Terrence Malick's movies aren't brilliant.

I invite you to slow-suck my grandmother's cock.

ArmedZombie fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 20, 2015

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

don't get me wrong, I love the movie, its shitloads better than saving private rion and is the most accurate portrayal of ww2 thus far

The german movie stalingrad where everyone dies horribly is the most accurate portrayal of ww2.

The thin red line is better after you watch it a few times, but the characters all have a monotonous group monologue. The photography is stunning and the best part of the movie.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Twitch posted:

Just let it do its thing. Its not there to entertain you. Its something other than entertainment, something better.

I also found it hard to watch at times. The fear on everyones faces..everyone involved.

It wasn't even a story so much as it was a..thing, an entire thing, at once.. There was never a hint at leading up to some climax or culmination of events. It just kept going on.. The movie ends with the company moving onto the next island.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
I could not finish the Tree of Life. it was just trying way too hard to be poignant and it didn't work, for me. not my idea of a good time

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

everyone needs watch Come and See

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

also forever lolling at his abuse of actors

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've gotten very little catharsis in my life, and this movie did something for me. That's all.

Kyrie eleison posted:

I could not finish the Tree of Life. it was just trying way too hard to be poignant and it didn't work, for me. not my idea of a good time

That's the kind of thing I am afraid of in these ambitious types of movies. Show, don't tell. And sometimes telling is showing and showing is only telling.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

a posting ghost posted:

I've gotten very little catharsis in my life, and this movie did something for me. That's all.

That's the kind of thing I am afraid of in these ambitious types of movies. Show, don't tell. And sometimes telling is showing and showing is only telling.

There are known knowns and known unknowns but sometimes there are unknown unknowns.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mikerock posted:

The german movie stalingrad where everyone dies horribly is the most accurate portrayal of w
I want to watch that again. But if it's anything like Das Boot and other German ww2 movies, i might not totally get into it.

The Germans because of their particular history and political culture present war as a horrible aberration never to be repeated again. It's just total horror and sadness and badness hitting you in the face for three hours.

What i like about the thin red line is that war is philosophized as being an inherent part of human nature. Which is even more disturbing on a deeper level. It's like a Herzog movie with those themes. Which might be why the German establishment never fully accepted that guy come to think of it

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

toggle posted:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

toggle posted:

come and see is a cartoonish acid trip on the eastern front

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Herzog is super miserable too

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

mikerock posted:

come and see is a cartoonish acid trip on the eastern front

And it owns

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think he was implying that he (or the book it was based on) could have been following any group of soldiers. They weren't special. He showed them all on the same level, grappling with killing, death, humanity. Even Nolte's character, while self interested, was effective, as well as self-reflective. He was the closest thing to a villain, but he got them up that hill. They certainly weren't going home without going up that hill.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jst0rm posted:

There are known knowns and known unknowns but sometimes there are unknown unknowns.

That quote, while not at all aphoristic, was descriptive, and got his point across. Sometimes there is just no better way to say it succinctly.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
K im done feelin. gently caress yall

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

I want to watch that again. But if it's anything like Das Boot and other German ww2 movies, i might not totally get into it.

The Germans because of their particular history and political culture present war as a horrible aberration never to be repeated again. It's just total horror and sadness and badness hitting you in the face for three hours.

What i like about the thin red line is that war is philosophized as being an inherent part of human nature. Which is even more disturbing on a deeper level. It's like a Herzog movie with those themes. Which might be why the German establishment never fully accepted that guy come to think of it

I don't think they represent it as an aberration of human nature, but to show the reality of war. it is a response to two related factors: the loss of two of the most destructive conflicts in human history, and a desire to de-romanticise warfare which was part of the nationalistic rhetoric that fuelled both of the world wars.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Terrance Mallick films are the exact apex of the bell curve. People who don't like them aren't necessarily retards, but they are in the retard half of humanity.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 20, 2015

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

see: die brücke

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
idk, i think real warriors dehumanize themselves and face to bloodshed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHohEY-IQ_w

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

This I can support

of course u can, papist

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yes, it is. and I'm ashamed to say that i still haven't gotten around to any of malick's other films :(

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ArmZ posted:

also forever lolling at his abuse of actors

lol remember when he scrubbed cum in martin sheens hair

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Everybody should see Fury.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Criminal Minded posted:

Everybody should see Fury.

its p good but its no mean girls

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna bump this when i watch those
movies orkin

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Orkin Mang posted:

a dinosaur hesitates... proflound

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

ur a spastic cumlord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

mikerock posted:

The german movie stalingrad where everyone dies horribly is the most accurate portrayal of ww2.

The thin red line is better after you watch it a few times, but the characters all have a monotonous group monologue. The photography is stunning and the best part of the movie.

this

(all quiet on the western front is the best war movie, also)

• Locked thread