Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Malick understands that Texans are midwesterners whether they like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Frostwerks posted:

sorry you're stupid.

Orkin Mang posted:

ur a philistine, a pos

We've had this argument before, boys. Time is a flat circle.

Isn't that some deep poo poo? Now look at this shot of a tree with the sun shining through the branches. :psyboom:

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agag posted:

Now look at this shot of a tree with the sun shining through the branches. :psyboom:

I don't like to look at pretty things, either.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Rando posted:

I don't like to look at pretty things, either.

I'll look at some pretty scenery for a good 15 minutes.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agag posted:

I'll look at some pretty scenery for a good 15 minutes.

The cool thing about movies is that the picture keeps changing!

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Rando posted:

The cool thing about movies is that the picture keeps changing!

Unless its a Malick movie. :smuggo:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I actually like the Thin Red Line (and TD), I just can't get over some of the pseudo-profundity. I like lots of deeply flawed stuff.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Malick movies are trying to teach anyone anything, but instead are showing slices of life you may or may not know but if you do you get to witness it from the outside.

For instance, The Tree of Life is like the home movies of my brothers and I growing up that never actually existed.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
the philosophical garbage in true detectives was one of its weakest parts. puerile appeal to the anti-intellectual's contrary need to seem intellectually accomplished.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

nomadologique posted:

the philosophical garbage in true detectives was one of its weakest parts. puerile appeal to the anti-intellectual's contrary need to seem intellectually accomplished.

Which was intentionally part of the character, or so I interpreted it. Malick is balls-to-the-wall serious though.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lol, for all your talk you gave that an awfully optimistic/friendly interpretation. i'm pretty sure the author of TD was 100% serious about all that wankery. the show is so up its own rear end. it's a really great show because, narratively and cinematographically, few things like it have ever been made -- it points the way for the possibilities of TV -- but in light of what it "could" be, it's pretty poo poo. with any luck we'll have shows much much better than that within ten or twenty more years.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
RE: true detective, the robbing of the stash house was fantastic and last year's best short film and the only scene from the show I really remember.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

haha that was one of the worst scenes in the show because it made no sense at all (not necessarily because it was bad in itself but because it was from another show entirely)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

also a great example of how up its own rear end that show was, and how the author was 100% serious about all that turdy bullshit

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nah.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i liked that show a lot, legit think it's one of the best TV shows ever made, but there's so much wrong with it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

that speaks mostly to the quality of TV thusfar

TV is nowhere near yet having had its great works made

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

ArmZ posted:

my shameful secret is I wanna see a malick adaptation of blood meridian

I'd jerk off 100000 men for that

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I like the scenes when John Savage losses his mind

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Three hours of sissy-men puking and crying for their mothers.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Wheat: The Movie

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toggle posted:

Wheat: The Movie

Sunset 2: Purplier

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
TMZ got footage of Malick and didn't even know it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UraxfJFTJk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ArmZ posted:

my shameful secret is I wanna see a malick adaptation of blood meridian

Jodorowsky is the obvious choice for Blood Meridian.

• Locked thread