Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
it's prob. by cronenberg

maybe videodrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

My father filmed me being born and I'd like to submit that as a contender.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faq5amdK30

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Bugdrvr posted:

I know this was from a few pages ago, but I thought I was the only one who had ever heard of this movie. I watched it a million times as a kid and it scared the poo poo out of me every one of them. I haven't seen it in forever but I still remember NAREK.

Going to go find it now.

i caught this on tv when i was younger i'm pretty sure it was also technically a disney movie

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

John Carpenter and his sidekick Kurt Russell are my favorite movie people

The Thing is a great movie

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
critters

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

DOOP posted:

John Carpenter and his sidekick Kurt Russell are my favorite movie people

The Thing is a great movie

Its like an inverse Burton and Depp.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

errol _flynn posted:

The Thing. All fun, all the time.

Chair scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVbOSEsJNo

I watc hed this movie for the first time when I was like 12 years old and jesus christ it was the most terrifying thing ever. I got to that scene and I had to change the loving channel because the guy screaming while the thing had its head mouth swinging him around oh god

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ronald Reagan

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
guy looks at head with eyestalks and legs "you gotta be loving kidding me" is one of the best scenes ever

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.
Hack-o-lantern, Motel Hell, Auntie Lee's Meat Pies, or Demon Wind.

Any of these four are the correct answers.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

SHISHKABOB posted:

guy looks at head with eyestalks and legs "you gotta be loving kidding me" is one of the best scenes ever

made even weirder by the fact that the guy who delivers that line is a Thing at that point

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Waxwork

Kite
May 29, 2003

BUT HEY, I'M BIG IN JAPAN!
I know that The Shining is a better film, but I still pick The Thing. I can watch The Thing at any time and finish it. I have to make an effort to make it through all of The Shining. It's just too much of a slow burn.

I'm just not ready for that kind of a commitment The Shining. Listen, I've already told you, after things get better financially, I'll be able to take that next step. No, me and John Carpenter's The Thing are just friends. She just goes to the same gym I go to. No, you're perfect- with your two hour and twenty-six minute run time baby. Listen, you're being paranoid. Let's just go to sleep and talk about it in the morning.

OF COURSE SHE'S NOT MORE FUN THAN YOU!

http://youtu.be/JjIXwkX1e48

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

skull wall posted:

Possession

This movie has only 2 good scenes. One, where the chick is pissing, vomiting on herself in the metro.
Two, where she's having sex with that thing. The rest is boring and arty.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's nowhere near the best horror film of the '80s but drat it, Lifeforce still deserves a mention.

Even the trailer is :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qej5nlRb9VM

Matilda May single handedly kickstarted my puberty.

Harald posted:

Ronald Reagan

The best horror movie the 80s was Halloween. Even though it was released in '78, its Halloween.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The blob is pretty good, actually. But still,

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
CHUD was awesome.

It was later remade in space by a famous director known as James Cameron as a sequel to the movie Alien.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Chainsaw Scumfuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fEVmiB9hgQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

Matilda May single handedly kickstarted my puberty.

with good reason

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It was The Dead Zone, which is actually the best King adaptation too.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Dead Ringers is up there but not as good as The Thing or Videodrome.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Boinks posted:

If you get this you are cool.

Somebody already quoted the "Where the red dot goes, ya bang" line, so I'll share this:

Last year I saw a 60's garage rock band called The Sloths play at a tiny tiki bar in Alameda, CA. It just so happened that the lead singer had directed Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives, which was my favorite in the series as a kid. Anyway, he had a festive Lux Interior/ Iggy Pop performance style which was pretty impressive considering he's a 60-something-year-old man. I would recommend seeing The Sloths if they play at a tiki bar near you.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Suicide Sam E. posted:

This is a decent flick and very 80s. But for an even better horror movie which was even more 80s:
"The Gate" (1987).

From having a party while your parents are gone, to rock-and-roll, to devil worship, this movie is so 80s that it's wearing leg warmers.

Another sweet 80's movie about the evils of heavy metal is "Trick or Treat," where an unpopular high school metalhead (played by "Skippy" from Family Ties) gets a record from his DJ friend (Gene Simmons) and plays it backwards. Obviously, this summons the spirit of his favorite dead rock star, who promptly goes on a vengeful rampage against Skippy's enemies, at one point screaming, "No false metal!" As an added bonus, Ozzy Osbourne has a brief cameo as a televangelist.

Also, Hard Rock Zombies is a true classic that has to be seen to be believed.

80's horror movies and terrible heavy metal are soul-mates.

Drfishback
Nov 5, 2009
Motel Hell was p. good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4AR3BgaCdA

It takes all kinds of critters to make farmer Vincent fritters.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I haven't read a single post in this thread but I just wanted to let you all know it's The Thing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Somebody already quoted the "Where the red dot goes, ya bang" line, so I'll share this:

Last year I saw a 60's garage rock band called The Sloths play at a tiny tiki bar in Alameda, CA. It just so happened that the lead singer had directed Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives, which was my favorite in the series as a kid. Anyway, he had a festive Lux Interior/ Iggy Pop performance style which was pretty impressive considering he's a 60-something-year-old man. I would recommend seeing The Sloths if they play at a tiki bar near you.

I would absolutely see them if I had the chance! I met Tom and his wife at a horror convention here in Cincinnati a few years ago and they were both wonderful people. They chatted with me and my wife for about 10 minutes and I got a poster signed and personalized. Also signed by Thom Mathews - the earring story was real and he still has it, and David Kagen - who was really happy to have someone at his table to talk to.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Possession

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

no wait The Evil Dead.

or maybe The Thing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My personal favorite horror movie from the 80s is Night Breed but I'm a bit of an odd bird. For instance, I unironically think this is the best post I've ever seen on the forums:

TOILETLORD posted:

i'd like it if ther was a bang bus like series where they talk a girl into loving and then the lights go out and 2 dudes in cenobite costumes burst through a wall and scream WELCOME TO HELL.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
The Terminator

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

TS FRIDAY THE THE THIRTEENTH IM downloading the thing to watch now what a good movie.

I'm tempted to watch the 2011 version but rotten tomatoes said it was lovely and a prequel so gently caress even stealing that

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
why even bother with the best

it's the 80s

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 14, 2015

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

The Thing.
Possession.

The Shining always struck me as a 70s movie. And hell it's 1980.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wendigee posted:

TS FRIDAY THE THE THIRTEENTH IM downloading the thing to watch now what a good movie.

I'm tempted to watch the 2011 version but rotten tomatoes said it was lovely and a prequel so gently caress even stealing that

Meh, it's okay for a F13. There's really nothing in it other than the filmmakers sayso that it's a prequel. It's jason stabbing horny teens, it's hard to mess up. There's a weird running plot of Jason killing people trying to get his pot too.

Also, early on we see why some low budget companies (like Troma) have a policy of shooting the nudity first in case they need to replace the actors before they use them elsewhere. Instead this woman gets a ridiculous, extremely fake looking prostetic chest piece she shows off.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The Shining
The Thing
Videodrome

In that order. Honorable mention to Tetsuo, The Iron Man, even if there were plenty movies that were probably technically better like Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Fog, Creepshow, Evil Dead, Reanimator, etc.

E: And BTW Eraserhead was 1977.

raton fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 14, 2015

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
The Terminator. Also Jacob's Ladder, that one might be a 90s movie. I don't remember.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I have a soft spot for My Bloody Valentine

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
huff puff hellraiser 2 you said (two weeks ago)? best 80s horror and frontrunner for best horror ever. the bit with the mattress and the razor is the tits

i also dig 'society', that movie is bonkers

spatnack
Apr 26, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i agree with this
however it is The Thing, that movie owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hector Beerlioz posted:

this isn't the indie rock thread your horrordummie. crack a book much because i dont think that you do.

• Locked thread