Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Fonzarelli posted:

Night of the Creeps probably isn't the best but I wanna mention it anyway

This is a decent flick and very 80s. But for an even better horror movie which was even more 80s:
"The Gate" (1987).

From having a party while your parents are gone, to rock-and-roll, to devil worship, this movie is so 80s that it's wearing leg warmers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maka
Mar 18, 2001

CRITTERS

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Maka posted:

CRITTERS

all on youtbe

Maka
Mar 18, 2001

oh wait i forgot about House

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

President Kucinich posted:

This movie deserves runner up status behind The Thing.

You'll never get goons to agree with "The Stuff". It's good and scary, but it plays too much on their love of eating and fatness, so you know they are going to hate on it.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

skull wall posted:

Possession

Not-Lena Headey startled by Not-Older-Nicholas Hoult what?

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Night of the Comet deserves a mention here

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Night of the Comet deserves a mention here

they paid to have girls wanna have fun in it when their uzi's jammed

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

weird... Ive never seen this movie but I have legit had nightmares about getting haunted pizza with a face. is this that global subconsciousness those people are always talking about?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Suicide Sam E. posted:

This is a decent flick and very 80s. But for an even better horror movie which was even more 80s:
"The Gate" (1987).

From having a party while your parents are gone, to rock-and-roll, to devil worship, this movie is so 80s that it's wearing leg warmers.

Aww man this is totally my poo poo, I'm gonna watch it now

Videodrome is the other awesome 80s horror movie that nobody has mentioned in this thread

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Suicide Sam E. posted:

You'll never get goons to agree with "The Stuff". It's good and scary, but it plays too much on their love of eating and fatness, so you know they are going to hate on it.

How the gently caress is The Stuff either good or scary? It's stupid from the very first scene where some guy sees the Stuff on the ground and decides to pick some up and put it in his mouth. It doesn't get any less stupid throughout.

It's still The Thing, Shining was good but the thing has much better pacing in my opinion.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Pitdragon posted:

How the gently caress is The Stuff either good or scary? It's stupid from the very first scene where some guy sees the Stuff on the ground and decides to pick some up and put it in his mouth. It doesn't get any less stupid throughout.

Eating random substances found on the ground is part of the entrepreneurial spirit, pal.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Xtro (1983)

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
CHild's Play

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zeroisanumber posted:

Going to throw in a darkhorse by John Carpenter for the top 5:

One of the most insanely boring movies ever committed to film.

It's either The Thing or The Shining but this is nothing new.

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
Basket Case

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Here's the right answer.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Sleepaway Camp

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

etherealshaq posted:

The Shining you assholes

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

Here's the right answer.

brilliant film, but not horror.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

The Thing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

C.H.U.D.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

there was a lot of best but has anyone mentioned the thing yet cuz that was it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Maka posted:

CRITTERS

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
Basket Case

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

brilliant film, but not horror.

I disagree, thriller/horror.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that movie about the gay human being who gave all those other gay faggots AIDS because he thought if he had gay cancer he wanted to ruin everyone elses life too, patient zero I think it was called

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
The Care Bears Movie (1985)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqB6_Q-pBYA

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

An American Werewolf In London.

Landis' Magnum Opus before killing Vic Morrow and two children.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

You Are A Elf posted:

An American Werewolf In London.

Landis' Magnum Opus before killing Vic Morrow and two children.

It's even got Jenny Agutter taking her clothes off!

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Pitdragon posted:

It's still The Thing, Shining was good but the thing has much better pacing in my opinion.

Legit geologists put samples into their mouths. It's not ridiculous.

Also, if you have issues with the first few retarded things which happen in any given horror movie, maybe you just are not cut out for the horror genre?

I love The Shining and I'm gay for Kubrick, and love the scoring of "Wendy" Carlos, but I'm going to have to say The Thing is better. I'd argue The Shining has more replay value, because its elements of mystery and raw fear are more powerful. But The Thing is an excellent horror movie (and yea, more intense pacing).

My one friend was arguing that The Thing is ruined if someone knows Norse in the first few minutes, because you know they're shouting "that's not a dog" or some crap. I think he mostly got 'his opinion' from an internet article. An article written by an idiot. If you watch the film for like, 12 minutes, then you know the dog is not a dog because tentacles are shooting out of it. :rolleyes: The movie isn't about "is the dog a dangerous alien?" it's a deadly game of "who is an alien and who can help me survive the alien(s)?" The dog's a drat MacGuffin.

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
ugh people are saying MacGuffin itt. i knew it would happen, wading off thru my own vomit to re-watch Basket Case

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

It's even got Jenny Agutter taking her clothes off!

Always gets me to thinkin' about that whenever I hear "Moondance."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Boinks posted:

If you get this you are cool.

Wherever the red light goes.... Ya Bang! Favorite of the series right there.

Put me down for The Thing as well. We'll never see practical effects that amazing again.

Edit:
The Black Cauldron was pretty damned scary for a Disney movie too.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 21, 2015

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
the terminator

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

TOILETLORD posted:

the terminator

An erotic thriller?

His best friend is a talking pie.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Elm Street 3 isn't too shabby, and 2 is hi-larious, however both are not quite in the same league as The Thing at all really. I wonder at what point John Carpenter quit making quality movies, probably right around the same time as Paul Verhoeven I would think.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Some good suggestions but c'mon of course it's the thing.

Worst 80s horror is Black Devil Doll From Hell. No contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

TOILETLORD posted:

ernest scared stupid one man frolicing children in an isolated tree house in the woods.
what is miak???

• Locked thread