Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Society is great.

Also, From Beyond and Terrorvision both look absolutely bonkers on blu ray.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Return of the Living Dead

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
The Thing and Poltergeist, but the one that sticks in my head is Lucio Fulci's Gates of Hell. It's a pile of poo poo, but it does feature a woman puking up her actual internal organs, so it has that going for it. The Italians made some hosed-up horror movies.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

hector beerlioz bringing out the grindhouse big guns

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That film has such a kickass trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlgP81jEG0s

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh Jesus, I've been avoiding the Italian Alien ripoffs after watching Shocking Dark/Terminator 2, but that looks loving bonkers plus music by Goblin. I have to see it now.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

That's a pretty sick trailer.

If your 80s horror movie has John Saxon in it it automatically owns.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Young Freud posted:

Oh Jesus, I've been avoiding the Italian Alien ripoffs after watching Shocking Dark/Terminator 2, but that looks loving bonkers plus music by Goblin. I have to see it now.

The trailer is basically a highlights reel. The actual film really drags in the middle.

Also the female lead was supposed to be Caroline Munro. Once you know that fact, that character makes much more sense.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Young Freud posted:

It's pretty fun. The whole thing is on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkDje147gwk

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hector Beerlioz posted:

And Tony Franciosa.

It's like an embarrassment of riches if you're into actors who spent the 70s in turtlenecks and sport coats.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
A front-runner, I think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zWJf53lH748

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 14, 2015

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
divine is PISSED

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

that is a great trailer with awesome music, drat

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Hector Beerlioz posted:

That one has one of my favorite death scenes. So ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3BL2balvk

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

The Thing or Aliens I can't decide.

Probably The Thing because it's more of a horror movie than Aliens which is more of an action film.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I like Amityville 2 because it pretty much accuses a real life murder victim of having hosed her own brother

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

it was The Thing

im not just saying that to jump on the bandwagon it was my first thought when i saw the thread

other good options are The Hitcher or Tenebrae

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fonzarelli posted:

its probably The Thing but Angel Heart is cool too

It's The Thing.

There is no argument.

Also it's theme was composed not by John Carpenter, but Ennio Morricone which is why you'll probably never forget it once you've heard it.

doctor 7 posted:

The Thing or Aliens I can't decide.

Probably The Thing because it's more of a horror movie than Aliens which is more of an action film.

Best SCI-FI movie would be an outright punching match between Aliens and The Thing. But best horror, yeah, The Thing for the reasons you list. Aliens is more sci-fi/action. The one thing both movies have in common is people don't do stupid things for no reason in either film. I don't think anyone does anything dumb out of character in The Thing, for example. To this day, it is so rare to see people not be idiots in a horror movie.

ED: I am glad to see the thread is seeing the light. Soon we will spread, and the whole planet will be watch The Thing. It cannot be stopped.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 15, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Horror is the most cinematic genre of film because it's far more willing to be symbolic, surreal and heavily stylished than other mainstream genres. Most good horror films only work as films while good drama films could usually work just as well as novels or stage plays.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
The Thing was cool and all, but it ain't no Night of the Creeps or TerrorVision

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FreudianSlippers posted:

Horror is the most cinematic genre of film because it's far more willing to be symbolic, surreal and heavily stylished than other mainstream genres. Most good horror films only work as films while good drama films could usually work just as well as novels or stage plays.

:agreed: 100%

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the thing or american werewolf in london. difficult to choose.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: I am glad to see the thread is seeing the light. Soon we will spread, and the whole planet will be watch The Thing. It cannot be stopped.

(Of course, if you break that down, it turns to be 3 years)

Vastarien posted:

The Thing was cool and all, but it ain't no Night of the Creeps or TerrorVision

Punk Diane Franklin :3::gizz:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Young Freud posted:

You can skip Alien 2. It's pretty odd, but bad.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
The Thing is a crowing achievement of cinema and horror. It's manages to be much more than a horror movie.

To throw in a vote for another excellent 80's horror I have to say Inferno. Everyone seems to worship Suspiria (and rightfully so), but Inferno is criminally overlooked.

Goons have some drat fine taste in horror. Many good picks in this thread.

naem
May 29, 2011

Life is a horror when your a goon

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wall Street

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
im Thing watching in honor of 80s horror thread

fun fact: my dad saw the original film in the theater and hid under his seat

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It's obviously the thing. What other film opens with a German shouting the entire secret in Norwegian during the first few minutes?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One of the many fantastic things about The Thing is the spooky Thing dog. He looks just like a normal dog but the way he acts is just a little bit off somehow. Like you can tell he's up to something because he's shiftier than any dog has any right to be.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

One of the many fantastic things about The Thing is the spooky Thing dog. He looks just like a normal dog but the way he acts is just a little bit off somehow. Like you can tell he's up to something because he's shiftier than any dog has any right to be.

apparently it was a dog/wolf hybrid that was not used to working with people and they had a handler on the set keeping a very close eye on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glYnBybLTEg

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Young Freud posted:

(Of course, if you break that down, it turns to be 3 years)

Also The Thing was one of the first horror movies to include an Apple ][ Plus computer, which ran the chess program that MacReady wound up pouring his drink into.

Bonus tidbit: Adrienne Barbeau was the voice of the computer.

A good movie to play during a snowfall..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
i think i am the first person to mention the fly

• Locked thread