Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I already know I am not going to get any actual answers but I figured it is worth a shot. According to this poll http://www.statista.com/statistics/189582/age-of-us-video-game-players-since-2010/ 71% of people who play video games are adults. Which really makes sense if you think about it. Video games are expensive, and consoles and PC's are even more so. A kid could easily expect an action figure from a friend on a birthday, but only a parent is going to drop $60+ a few times a year on a game. So at a minimum, a gamer, regardless of strawman being used, would need to be at least working. Also note that regardless of "Every gamer i know is a [blank]" statement, there are gamers who have SO's, regardless of how infuriating that may be.

The main point I am trying to understand what inherently is so immature about video games, as opposed to any other medium of entertain being displayed on a screen? The majority of goons watch shows on a screen, you get entertainment and pass time this way. Why does holding a controller change everything? If you are taking a girl home from a bar, and she starts playing candy crush, would you call her "A beta bitch human being gently caress!" and throw her out of the moving cab? If your buddy is showing off his man-cave before 'the big game', and he is listing things off like " 52 inch HD tv, gold monster cables, surround sound.." . And you stand there nodding your head "Yeah man! cool!" , but then he mentions his PS4. Wouldn't you immediately disown him as a friend, and slam his head through the TV screen? Would you point out that monster cables are a waste of money and you get one billion HDMI cables of new egg for that price and then hate him even more because doesn't shop the same way you do? Also, would you think playing video games is nerdy loser faggots but knowing specifically where you'd make such a purchase isn't?

I already know the quick answer is "To piss of people on the internet" , but i think there must be more to it to put so much effort into it. The thread about EB games was full of goons straight up thinking they were a aryan superman from nazi text because they chose not to shop at that store, and actually patted their own, and each others back over it. And that went on for pages and pages and pages. The hatred seems too strong just for trolling purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Shnag posted:

I already know I am not going to get any actual answers but I figured it is worth a shot. According to this poll http://www.statista.com/statistics/189582/age-of-us-video-game-players-since-2010/ 71% of people who play video games are adults. Which really makes sense if you think about it. Video games are expensive, and consoles and PC's are even more so. A kid could easily expect an action figure from a friend on a birthday, but only a parent is going to drop $60+ a few times a year on a game. So at a minimum, a gamer, regardless of strawman being used, would need to be at least working. Also note that regardless of "Every gamer i know is a [blank]" statement, there are gamers who have SO's, regardless of how infuriating that may be.

The main point I am trying to understand what inherently is so immature about video games, as opposed to any other medium of entertain being displayed on a screen? The majority of goons watch shows on a screen, you get entertainment and pass time this way. Why does holding a controller change everything? If you are taking a girl home from a bar, and she starts playing candy crush, would you call her "A beta bitch human being gently caress!" and throw her out of the moving cab? If your buddy is showing off his man-cave before 'the big game', and he is listing things off like " 52 inch HD tv, gold monster cables, surround sound.." . And you stand there nodding your head "Yeah man! cool!" , but then he mentions his PS4. Wouldn't you immediately disown him as a friend, and slam his head through the TV screen? Would you point out that monster cables are a waste of money and you get one billion HDMI cables of new egg for that price and then hate him even more because doesn't shop the same way you do? Also, would you think playing video games is nerdy loser faggots but knowing specifically where you'd make such a purchase isn't?

I already know the quick answer is "To piss of people on the internet" , but i think there must be more to it to put so much effort into it. The thread about EB games was full of goons straight up thinking they were a aryan superman from nazi text because they chose not to shop at that store, and actually patted their own, and each others back over it. And that went on for pages and pages and pages. The hatred seems too strong just for trolling purposes.

democrats haven't ruined it yet, but they are trying to now.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Allow me to introduce you to the concept of the manchild.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

It's a distinction between "gamers" and "people who play video games". It's fine to play video games, but defining yourself by playing video games and having it be your only/main hobby/interest makes you a huge nerd loser.

Like almost everyone likes to watch TV now and then but if someone was like "Oh I'm a TVer and I watch 8 hours of TV a day and I'm in a TV guild" they'd be a huge nerd loser too.

im gay

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
It's because people that care a lot about video games are usually nerds with bitch tits and whiny voices.

Watching baseball and football are way more retarded ways to spend time than even video games, but they don't have the stigma attached to them because most people that are into watching sports are fairly normal people instead of crybaby shut-ins.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
who the gently caress is this guy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shnag posted:

self-hatred

goons are so insecure the only people they feel comfortable looking down upon are other goons, which leads to bizarre contradicotory Posting Careers such as twee as gently caress simultaneously mocking people for playing video games and maintaining an RPG kickstarter megathread

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
go kiss a hog op. you two bit pickaninny. you bog lover.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

mysterious loyall Y posted:

self-hatred

goons are so insecure the only people they feel comfortable looking down upon are other goons, which leads to bizarre contradicotory Posting Careers such as twee as gently caress simultaneously mocking people for playing video games and maintaining an RPG kickstarter megathread

its true - goons eat their own

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
why do you care so much op?

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

It's a distinction between "gamers" and "people who play video games". It's fine to play video games, but defining yourself by playing video games and having it be your only/main hobby/interest makes you a huge nerd loser.

Like almost everyone likes to watch TV now and then but if someone was like "Oh I'm a TVer and I watch 8 hours of TV a day and I'm in a TV guild" they'd be a huge nerd loser too.

im gay

Saying "gamer" is easier to say then "Individual who plays electronic games on computer or tv screen, as apposed to a card game player, or board game player".

City of Tampa posted:

It's because people that care a lot about video games are usually nerds with bitch tits and whiny voices.

Watching baseball and football are way more retarded ways to spend time than even video games, but they don't have the stigma attached to them because most people that are into watching sports are fairly normal people instead of crybaby shut-ins.

But hardcore sports fans are way more obnoxious by an unbelievably huge margin. the worst angry gamers break their screen and flood message boards with rants, angry sports fans get in actual fights and regularly go on full scale riots. Really any sort of hobby that isn't actual work or a chore is going to have lovely outlers to it. Its just weird the mom playing farm ville is non-existant, but ironic youtube videos of "angry gamers" represent all video game players. Even if the video description is "People are actually stupid enough to think this is real" . Like the leeroy jenkins world of warcraft video.

self-hatred

This is what I am thinking, I am still not sure if GBS has several people who are actual transgendered individuals or a bunch of goons who think it is the hight of hilarity to pretend to be one.

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

go kiss a hog op. you two bit pickaninny. you bog lover.

Hey man, I am going to take your mom out for a nice dinner and a movie before I kiss her.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Darkman Fanpage posted:

why do you care so much op?

he a democrat can't handle basic reality

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i can hear the op's single brain cell wailing in loneliness

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
because the goon hate must flow OP

everything is bad, doubly so if we engage in it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

self-hatred

you seem a bit defensive

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
Who cares bud

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

self-hatred

i look down on everyone including the lord god jesus christ and his angels

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

TOILETLORD posted:

he a democrat can't handle basic reality

I'm Canadian actually :canada:. So "Even worst!" etc etc.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

self-hatred

Yeah the surging hatred is unbelievable

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
Relax a little, friend

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Shnag posted:

But hardcore sports fans are way more obnoxious by an unbelievably huge margin. the worst angry gamers break their screen and flood message boards with rants, angry sports fans get in actual fights and regularly go on full scale riots. Really any sort of hobby that isn't actual work or a chore is going to have lovely outlers to it. Its just weird the mom playing farm ville is non-existant, but ironic youtube videos of "angry gamers" represent all video game players. Even if the video description is "People are actually stupid enough to think this is real" . Like the leeroy jenkins world of warcraft video.

well people who play video games would riot too but theyre too afraid to go outside and theyd probably just get buillied ya know

also lol at looking down at goons making fun of goons for being insecure while making fun of goons there are some cognitive dissonance going on in thi sjoint and circular self-burns that frankly requires some deep introspection

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Actual sports fans are pretty chill unless they're otherwise bothersome. Whats annoying is the bandwagoners (often middle aged women...) when your city is winning they turn into apes flinging poo poo at the wall and if you're not with em youre against em.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

you seem a bit defensive
I want this to be a loving and friendgly community but it is a difficult position where, to get goons to stop being mean, you must be mean to goons

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i want this website to be a world of spite and spit

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I want this to be a loving and friendgly community but it is a difficult position where, to get goons to stop being mean, you must be mean to goons

i feel the same about anime

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

im gay

yeah, but with TV you just sit there. Now, games on the other hand :yosbutt: *fssssssss

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
watching other people play video games over the internet is even worse

no wait, going to some arena to watch people play video games live in the worst

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

self-hatred

people who aren't real fucky in the brain can make fun of themselves and things they like, and also enjoy when other people do the same thing, without getting mad about it

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Actual sports fans are pretty chill unless they're otherwise bothersome. Whats annoying is the bandwagoners (often middle aged women...) when your city is winning they turn into apes flinging poo poo at the wall and if you're not with em youre against em.

I saw a sports fan from my-local-sports-team verbally abuse a completely random girl at a bus stop because she was wearing the hat of rival-cross-state-sports-team. The dude was screaming at her and cursing her out until she was close to tears and had to pretty much run away from him (she was trying to figure out what bus to take to get around town).

Although I guess that's not as bad as all the sports fans who beat up or murder each other because they happen to like watching different groups of men playing a sport.

Sports fans are chill though!! Just don't tell them you like a team that is different than THEIR TEAM.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

mysterious frankie posted:

people who aren't real fucky in the brain can make fun of themselves and things they like, and also enjoy when other people do the same thing, without getting mad about it

you goddamn motherfucker

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

if you can't, there's a good chance you're a gamer, because that's how god made you.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

well people who play video games would riot too but theyre too afraid to go outside and theyd probably just get buillied ya know

also lol at looking down at goons making fun of goons for being insecure while making fun of goons there are some cognitive dissonance going on in thi sjoint and circular self-burns that frankly requires some deep introspection

Thats an other funny thing, goons unironically thinking of themselves as jocks because they watch sports. That watching physical activity is the same as actually doing it, and that their hobby of interest isn't as full of fat stupid fucks as anything else.

The second point is funny too, everything is getting very meta and inception-y

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

yeah but they're all in FYAD and the rest of us are less good

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Pawn 17 posted:

I saw a sports fan from my-local-sports-team verbally abuse a completely random girl at a bus stop because she was wearing the hat of rival-cross-state-sports-team. The dude was screaming at her and cursing her out until she was close to tears and had to pretty much run away from him (she was trying to figure out what bus to take to get around town).

Although I guess that's not as bad as all the sports fans who beat up or murder each other because they happen to like watching different groups of men playing a sport.

Sports fans are chill though!! Just don't tell them you like a team that is different than THEIR TEAM.

Wow that's crazy. He was alone? Usually people need numbers to get the courage/adrenaline to be that volatile.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

yeah but they're all in FYAD and the rest of us are less good

um, excuse me plox?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
please source your quotes

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Wow that's crazy. He was alone? Usually people need numbers to get the courage/adrenaline to be that volatile.

No, he was with a couple friends IIRC who were at first laughing and then trying to calm him down since everyone was staring at the scene. I think the guy thought the game atmosphere carried over to every day life and somehow everyone around was going to join in and lynch her or something. :shrug:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I'm pretty sure God is real and She Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gamers may physically be over a certain age, but GamerGate has proven that mentally they're all 12 years old.

• Locked thread