Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'll have you fuckers know that I consider myself a gamer. I lift weights, I have a full time job, and I gently caress my sexy rear end brown skinned wife three times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
let's all have a moment of silence for all the GBS posters some mod sent to imp zone to get nuked lmao

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695954

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

ubachung posted:

It's true though. There's no inherent value to any leisure activity, trying to construct some kind of absolute hobby hierarchy where your own interests just happen to be at the top is nothing more than self-delusion to maintain your misguided feelings of self worth.

If you enjoy doing something that's legal and does no harm to others just keep doing it and stop worrying about what others think. I mean it's retarded and lovely that some people think they can judge others based on their interests while being above reproach themselves, but that seems to be how most people think. There's no point in fighting it, just realise that cultural and societal norms don't mean poo poo unless you live and die by the judgement and acceptance of others.

Also I loving love video games and if you don't you're worthless subhuman scum.

Well worded. Someone bragging about what isn't their hobby is bad enough, but being super smug about it while on a forum on a comedy website that we both spent at least $15 to post on adds inception like layers of hilarity.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I don't get it...I play video games, it's just a hobby. People don't freak out when you say I spent all day fixing up my project car, or building a guitar pedal, or going to the gym. Why are video games any different?! I'll tell you why - most people are just bad at them. So they don't get the ultimate satisfaction of landing that perfect headshot, or speed running through Sonic 2. I bet it's probably something like the runner's high.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Video games are such a waste of time...

*Spends entire weekends binge marathoning Netflix. *

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Post the vid of the old dude playing battlefield 3

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I gently caress plushie dolls of cartoon caracters for 8 yr old girls. So? Is there no limit to oppression? I talk about them all the time. People dint get me

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shnag posted:

Well worded. Someone bragging about what isn't their hobby is bad enough, but being super smug about it while on a forum on a comedy website that we both spent at least $15 to post on adds inception like layers of hilarity.

Lol you asked for reasons, people gave you reasons and you're bitching abiut them bragging. Try harder next time.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i don't even really consider video games a hobby, they are more like a pastime. watching tv isn't a hobby, neither is watching movies. I do love video games but they definitely aren't really very valuable as far as making you grow in the same way that like, playing an instrument does. if you define yourself predominately by your video game playing you probably suck really bad, and this is coming from a guy that plays lots of video games.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

dk2m posted:

I don't get it...I play video games, it's just a hobby. People don't freak out when you say I spent all day fixing up my project car, or building a guitar pedal, or going to the gym. Why are video games any different?!

The thing is, no one actually cares anymore. It's just a dumb goon thing. My cousin is like a mega-bro frat type and he loving loves Mass Effect, Dishonored, The Witcher, etc etc. Literally all types of people play and enjoy games now.

If people irl are actually turned off by the fact that you play games, it's probably because you are smelly/gross/weird and fit into that negative "gamer" stereotype".

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
People hate gamers since they call in sick to work when a new game they want to play comes out.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
I don't think honestly think any reputable place is out-of-touch enough nowadays to make out games are typically for children, this has probably been the case since smartphones really took off. It's probably not a problem now.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
op is cool and I support his thread

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

jiharlequinade posted:

as usual, what it really comes down to is not that [thing's] fans are annoying so much that fanatical monomaniacs are annoying, whatever they're into

An extremist in any form is horrid. See the American sniper tweets about people wanting go to kill towelheads etc etc

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

I don't play a lot of games anymore since I find most of them kind of boring. That being said, it's pretty stupid to act high and mighty about not wasting your time on video games when you spend a bunch of time on an internet comedy forum.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'll have you fuckers know that I consider myself a gamer. I lift weights, I have a full time job, and I gently caress my sexy rear end brown skinned wife three times a day.

rear end brown is a good wife colour imo

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

social vegan posted:

It hides the stains better.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

social vegan posted:

Just go full black, don't half rear end that rear end :quagmire:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
im an adult i have no fun

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Autumn Angel posted:

I don't play a lot of games anymore since I find most of them kind of boring. That being said, it's pretty stupid to act high and mighty about not wasting your time on video games when you spend a bunch of time on an internet comedy forum.

I get paid to do it brah.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Video games are cool as long as they are not those dumb ones for dummies. The cool people know what I mean.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Power levels must be hidden in public at all times I can not stress this enough :siren:

toggle posted:

Post the vid of the old dude playing battlefield 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9vUN2SeEmk

Al Cowens fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 22, 2015

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

opus111 posted:

Lol you asked for reasons, people gave you reasons and you're bitching abiut them bragging. Try harder next time.

You gave a condescending reply that answered nothing. Just stop posting if you are not going to contribute anything to the thread besides being smug and saying "brah".

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

op is cool and I support his thread

Thank you for your support. :)

Broenheim posted:

im an adult i have no fun

This is some peoples actual mind set. If you aren't working for 12+ hours every day and not continually depressed you are not an adult. God forbid your happy at any point.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
games arent necessarily for children, they're just dumb and immature like action movies or rap music

thats why kids like em and and playing is fun but if you start decorating with video game tapestries or want yr birthday cake to be shaped like a triforce you're in too deep and you need to stop

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Shnag posted:

This is some peoples actual mind set. If you aren't working for 12+ hours every day and not continually depressed you are not an adult. God forbid your happy at any point.

is this really how some ppl see adulthood? there's a big world outside of commercial entertainment out there, it's ok if you enjoy nothing more than sitting at home with the blinds down playing rayman or mario but you could also be doing a lot of other stuff

edited cos i cant read

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 22, 2015

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

is this really how you see adulthood? there's a big world outside of commercial entertainment out there, it's ok if you enjoy nothing more than sitting at home with the blinds down playing rayman or mario but you could also be doing a lot of other stuff

I had co-workers who wanted to work seven days a week, but they didn't word it like it was their opinion but in a way that there was no other way to view life. So yeah, there are adults who view things this way, that if you aren't literally working at any given point you are wasting your life.

Also, sure, you can go back packing in Europe, mountain climbing, post pictures of when you when you went hiking years ago etc, but the vast majority of people when they get off work and finish their chores just sit at home and relax. Its about being smug about what they do to relax is why I made this thread.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
well, i didn't really mean backpacking in europe or anything dramatic like that, mostly just other stuff than popular culture i guess?

games are just one of many things to waste your time with. i don't really understand these self proclaimed "gamers", sure there are people who are geeky about books or movies but gamers seem to take their poo poo way too seriously.

thats why ppl look down on them, it's the same with all geeks. gamers are laughed at b/c they're taking something ppl couldn't care less about so seriously.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I think stereotypes die hard, and it's a lot easier to make a generalization about something instead of doing research and changing your mindset, but I think a large portion of adults think of videogames as old Atari / Nintendo things that go beep boop and flash with 8-bit graphics to entertain young children, or FPS games that are responsible for every school shooting ever. Games that feature mature social interaction and have a large adult playerbase are things that are relatively new that the general American public isn't overly aware about. Videogames are a relatively new form of media in the grand scheme, compared to things like TV/movies/sports.

I suppose any hobby / activity / etc. is okay so long as it somehow positively "enriches" your life. Playing sports features good physical activity, while encouraging bonding and team-building. Television and movies at least have some really good programs or documentaries that allow a viewer to experience something they never would otherwise, learn about a totally different world, and provoke strong emotions that challenges the viewer's previous beliefs. I suppose some multiplayer video games feature some pretty legitimate team-building and social interaction, but I've not played a AAA title in like 10 years, (and a significant portion of adults probably never have), so the previous stigma of videogames, being a silly time-waster for children, still stands in the minds of many people.

My opinion is that everyone has a vice/time-killer/non-stop internet browsing/not-productive-pastime thing that they enjoy doing, and it's fine to blow off some steam once in a while, but so long as you moderate yourself, don't take it to the extreme, and don't let it negatively define your life, then it's all okay.

Personally, I don't care, I care way less than of all you do, and I laugh at how much all of you care (you see, I'm cool because I care so little).

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Shnag posted:

using inception like some high level philosophical allegory adds one more

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
people on gbs make an effort to belittle as many people and activities as possible as a goal in and of itself, OP. im not a fan personally

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

newreply.php posted:

using inception like some high level philosophical allegory adds one more

Actually, I always thought inception was a little funny, and it just became absurd near the end. But then again, I watched it on tv and didn't watch it from the beginning, so is it actually deep? Also, if the inception allegory doesn't work, is in it self another layer?

Shnag fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 22, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
video games are also p. polarizing because you not only have to buy a shitload of money to play them, you also have to learn how to play. takes a lot of time, effort and money to get the most out of games and a lot of ppl dont think its worth it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fonzarelli posted:

I do love video games but they definitely aren't really very valuable as far as making you grow in the same way that like, playing an instrument does.

As a guy that plays an instrument, the only major difference is that the people I met playing my instrument got met face to face as opposed to being a voice on a microphone. I won't argue that that difference isn't an important one, but creating music isn't this super enlightening process that makes you a better person, it's just a hobby that lets you relax by doing something different.

That said I think the vast majority of people that say video games are for children these days grew up before they became a big thing in the household or just as that was starting. Even frat boy types tend to have Madden or Fifa sitting around, and bejewled with all its copies is no less a game than tetris is and look at how many people have that kind of thing on their phone.

e:

Dyna Soar posted:

video games are also p. polarizing because you not only have to buy a shitload of money to play them, you also have to learn how to play. takes a lot of time, effort and money to get the most out of games and a lot of ppl dont think its worth it

Actually video games are some of the cheapest entertainment out there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FoolyCharged posted:

Actually video games are some of the cheapest entertainment out there.

Being poor and living in a flyover state where nothing ever happens and there's nothing else to do is a pretty big contributor to my turning to video games/the internet. When I can learn about new poo poo online or watch any TV show or movie at any time, kill some mooks in Borderlands 2, look at boobies, whatever-else-I-want-to-do for free, why bother going out and spending money on less interesting poo poo? If I lived in an area where I could walk down the street and catch one of several live bands, or go to a gallery, or jog in a big beautiful inter-city park, or do any number of cheap or free things then yeah, I'd do that. But I don't, and I can't, so I play video games and work at my little minimum wage job.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

big beautiful inter-city park

thats a big loving park! where they got those

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

playing video games is one than, and getting furious about video games on internet for hours daily and then proceed to play some 20 years old turd for eleventh thousand time is another thing

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drink Cheerwine posted:

thats a big loving park! where they got those

They got 'em in the cities. The cities that are big.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
its been said like 20 times in so many words but the OP seems in denial at least through the first page

Answer: its the who, not the what. ask yourself who is the typical gamer , and your answer magically appears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Because instead of doing something constructive with their free time - you know, something that they can be proud of, something that will make their life, another person's life or the world at large a slightly better place - they are wasting it sitting on their rear end like a huge bitch.

You sound like someone who bases their identity off rebuilding an antique car. Your car won't matter when you're dead. My Destiny gear won't matter when I'm dead either.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 22, 2015

• Locked thread