Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

It's a distinction between "gamers" and "people who play video games". It's fine to play video games, but defining yourself by playing video games and having it be your only/main hobby/interest makes you a huge nerd loser.

Like almost everyone likes to watch TV now and then but if someone was like "Oh I'm a TVer and I watch 8 hours of TV a day and I'm in a TV guild" they'd be a huge nerd loser too.

im gay

So people who watch sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Actually video games are some of the cheapest entertainment out there.

you mean like facebook clickfests? yeah i guess, but if you wanna play like big blockbusters you're gonna need a console, a tv and then the games. that like a grand right there. movies, books or music are a lot cheaper

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think MGS is for kids OP.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dyna Soar posted:

you mean like facebook clickfests? yeah i guess, but if you wanna play like big blockbusters you're gonna need a console, a tv and then the games. that like a grand right there. movies, books or music are a lot cheaper

Looks like somebody hasn't heard of PC gaming, and Steam :smugbert:

I can get games that are basically brand-new on sale for up to like 75% off. I mean you have to wait nearly a year but with console games they pretty much never go "on sale", and console companies have been trying to push for the whole "no used games" thing for years. So while people are paying $40-60 for games on consoles I'm getting those exact same games for $7-15.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

1gnoirents posted:

its been said like 20 times in so many words but the OP seems in denial at least through the first page

Answer: its the who, not the what. ask yourself who is the typical gamer , and your answer magically appears

Answer: A stay at home mom? Probably hot and on facebook playing farmville?

Good job admitting you didn't even read the thread, very insightful advice you are giving right now.

Bacontotem posted:

So people who watch sports.

They can be pretty weird. Jumping screaming "Whoooooo!" at the top your lungs is well and good when you are in a sports stadium. But just seems weird to do sitting at home, even more so if you are alone. Some even dress up for it, while still at home.

King Vidiot posted:

I can get games that are basically brand-new on sale for up to like 75% off. I mean you have to wait nearly a year but with console games they pretty much never go "on sale", and console companies have been trying to push for the whole "no used games" thing for years. So while people are paying $40-60 for games on consoles I'm getting those exact same games for $7-15.

Actually, xbox live is starting to provide two free* games and weekly sales* with games steeply discounted, not to mention black friday events and such.

*for paid gold subscribers only. And probably not near as good as steam even then. :negative:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
games are for kids, video games are games, done

but video games are still fun and im an adult, i can admit to being a child

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

a good gaming rig is around a grand itself and then you need a hd monitor to get the most out of it. even if you cut every corner you can't get a modern pc, screen, mouse & keyboard for less than 500 bucks. monthly internet bills on top of that, too.

books, movies and music are pretty drat close to being free nowadays.

all i'm saying, most ppl including myself have a netbook and don't want to spend any more on computers than what they have to. gaming requires you to. other forms of entertainment don't.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
they don't have video games at the library

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

open container posted:

they don't have video games at the library

they do, but the lines are long and the discs are scratched after 5 customers. no pc games, either since you can or have to lock the cd-keys onto a steam or a similar account.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 22, 2015

open container
Sep 16, 2008

goddamn i really didn't want this to be true

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

open container posted:

goddamn i really didn't want this to be true

i work in one can confirm

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Why are you guys insisting that you need some super fancy gaming computer to play games? Most people already have computers that can run the games just fine because computers are a part of life in first world countries at this point. Not being able to play the things at max settings on a gigantic hd tv doesn't make them unplayable. That's like saying movies are expensive because you need to spend thousands on a gigantic home theater system rather than just picking up a tv and a dvd player for a couple hundred. And that's just pc games, cell phone games are by far more common and popular these days and can be fairly cheap for the entertainment they provide. Even if you go by the most expensive form with the consoles you're looking at a couple hundred dollars initial investment but once you've paid that the games are about the price of a nice bottle of the alcoholic beverage of your choice.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
I thought it was pretty clear that op was pretty into them, but that he wanted casual stuff included in the equation as well.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 22, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Why are you guys insisting that you need some super fancy gaming computer to play games? Most people already have computers that can run the games just fine because computers are a part of life in first world countries at this point. Not being able to play the things at max settings on a gigantic hd tv doesn't make them unplayable. That's like saying movies are expensive because you need to spend thousands on a gigantic home theater system rather than just picking up a tv and a dvd player for a couple hundred. And that's just pc games, cell phone games are by far more common and popular these days and can be fairly cheap for the entertainment they provide. Even if you go by the most expensive form with the consoles you're looking at a couple hundred dollars initial investment but once you've paid that the games are about the price of a nice bottle of the alcoholic beverage of your choice.

i thought we were talking about serious gamers, not casual gamers? casual gamers dont make a thing out of their gaming, it's just a fun way to waste time. my mom is a casual gamer, she's played solitaire on the computer for decades.

i'm pretty sure op is not a casual gamer.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Shnag posted:

I already know I am not going to get any actual answers but I figured it is worth a shot. According to this poll http://www.statista.com/statistics/189582/age-of-us-video-game-players-since-2010/ 71% of people who play video games are adults. Which really makes sense if you think about it. Video games are expensive, and consoles and PC's are even more so. A kid could easily expect an action figure from a friend on a birthday, but only a parent is going to drop $60+ a few times a year on a game. So at a minimum, a gamer, regardless of strawman being used, would need to be at least working. Also note that regardless of "Every gamer i know is a [blank]" statement, there are gamers who have SO's, regardless of how infuriating that may be.

The main point I am trying to understand what inherently is so immature about video games, as opposed to any other medium of entertain being displayed on a screen? The majority of goons watch shows on a screen, you get entertainment and pass time this way. Why does holding a controller change everything? If you are taking a girl home from a bar, and she starts playing candy crush, would you call her "A beta bitch human being gently caress!" and throw her out of the moving cab? If your buddy is showing off his man-cave before 'the big game', and he is listing things off like " 52 inch HD tv, gold monster cables, surround sound.." . And you stand there nodding your head "Yeah man! cool!" , but then he mentions his PS4. Wouldn't you immediately disown him as a friend, and slam his head through the TV screen? Would you point out that monster cables are a waste of money and you get one billion HDMI cables of new egg for that price and then hate him even more because doesn't shop the same way you do? Also, would you think playing video games is nerdy loser faggots but knowing specifically where you'd make such a purchase isn't?

I already know the quick answer is "To piss of people on the internet" , but i think there must be more to it to put so much effort into it. The thread about EB games was full of goons straight up thinking they were a aryan superman from nazi text because they chose not to shop at that store, and actually patted their own, and each others back over it. And that went on for pages and pages and pages. The hatred seems too strong just for trolling purposes.

the majority of people that fart and laugh at it in the world are adults but that doesnt mean that farting and laughing at it isnt immature and for children

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Video games are very cheap dollar wise for the hours of entertainment they provide. They are very expensive hours wise for the amount of fun they provide.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

i work in one can confirm

I work in one and we just got a handful because kids and grown-ups and grown-ups with kids kept ordering them from other libraries, so we figured "what do we have to lose?".

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i cant believe the op was able to stay away from video game that long to write that post, and also i wish he didnt

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shnag posted:

You gave a condescending reply that answered nothing. Just stop posting if you are not going to contribute anything to the thread besides being smug and saying "brah".

Thank you for your support. :)

This is some peoples actual mind set. If you aren't working for 12+ hours every day and not continually depressed you are not an adult. God forbid your happy at any point.

Lmao I gave you a perfectly honest reply, it's just not one you agree with so you're crying about it. Why ask a question if you're going to be offended if the replies aren't what you want to hear ?

'Your support' lol you absolute fag.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I work in one and we just got a handful because kids and grown-ups and grown-ups with kids kept ordering them from other libraries, so we figured "what do we have to lose?".

they're expensive, ppl steal them relatively often and treat them like poo poo. games lose their appeal a lot faster than books, movies or music. a video game loan is a lot more expensive than a book loan. what can you do tho, ppl want them and maybe they'll also loan something else

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
if i was alive in sparta times and the OP was there I would have crushed his skull when he was a baby

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

they're expensive, ppl steal them relatively often and treat them like poo poo. games lose their appeal a lot faster than books, movies or music. a video game loan is a lot more expensive than a book loan. what can you do tho, ppl want them and maybe they'll also loan something else

The handful we have we're all loaners from the staff, myself included. I donated the last leftover 360 game I had after my Xbox crapped out. So it's not like we're buying brand new 60 dollar games.

But yeah, they're probably gonna get scratched to poo poo and will be hell to replace.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

sexy young infidel posted:

if i was alive in sparta times and the OP was there I would have crushed his skull when he was a baby

I'm sure you'd have given it your best shot but even baby-skull-crushing is harder than making Good Posts™, so I expect you'd fail at the former just as you do the latter. :q:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sure kids would enjoy watching a bomb be extracted from a screaming girl, then having her alluha ackbar into another helicopter because she has another bomb in her woo hoo

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i do not "game" but i listen to some rap songs with bloop noises in them. where do i fall.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

opus111 posted:

Lmao I gave you a perfectly honest reply, it's just not one you agree with so you're crying about it. Why ask a question if you're going to be offended if the replies aren't what you want to hear ?

'Your support' lol you absolute fag.

He gave a joke reply and I replied in return. I am not sure whats more funny, that you thought I actually believed him, or think calling someone a 'fag' on a internet comedy forum is anything less then hilariously pathetic. Though, thanks for the laughs. :)

Oh, reading back your second post wasn't that bad, but had unnecessary smugness to it, but then its pretty clear your just trying to troll. But keep bumping the thread if you like.

tomstuart posted:

the majority of people that fart and laugh at it in the world are adults but that doesnt mean that farting and laughing at it isnt immature and for children

What is immature about video games exactly? What can you say about video games that you can't say about bridge? Both can be played all day, have simple rules to understand, are absolutely pointless, can be enjoyed with friends etc. Are all forms of leisure activity inherently pointless and child-like?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shnag posted:

He gave a joke reply and I replied in return. I am not sure whats more funny, that you thought I actually believed him, or think calling someone a 'fag' on a internet comedy forum is anything less then hilariously pathetic. Though, thanks for the laughs. :)

Oh, reading back your second post wasn't that bad, but had unnecessary smugness to it, but then its pretty clear your just trying to troll. But keep bumping the thread if you like.

What is immature about video games exactly? What can you say about video games that you can't say about bridge? Both can be played all day, have simple rules to understand, are absolutely pointless, can be enjoyed with friends etc. Are all forms of leisure activity inherently pointless and child-like?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

OP, in relatable terms: your Speech skill is not high enough to Raise The Flag at this Branch. consider Grinding on some other threads before Respawning the Princess. Level Cap.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
its crazy how video games are supposed to be a worthy endeavour, yet no single gamer has ever managed to write a coherent piece of text on why exactly they should be seen as such

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shnag posted:

Answer: A stay at home mom? Probably hot and on facebook playing farmville?

Good job admitting you didn't even read the thread, very insightful advice you are giving right now.

They can be pretty weird. Jumping screaming "Whoooooo!" at the top your lungs is well and good when you are in a sports stadium. But just seems weird to do sitting at home, even more so if you are alone. Some even dress up for it, while still at home.

Actually, xbox live is starting to provide two free* games and weekly sales* with games steeply discounted, not to mention black friday events and such.

*for paid gold subscribers only. And probably not near as good as steam even then. :negative:

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
lol video games arent even real op who gives a poo poo?

(games arent real right guys?)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

newreply.php posted:

its crazy how video games are supposed to be a worthy endeavour, yet no single gamer has ever managed to write a coherent piece of text on why exactly they should be seen as such

Probably because properly labeling them as dangerously potent escape tools doesn't sound too good. They take escapism to a whole new level and that's as dangerous as it can be useful.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

newreply.php posted:

its crazy how [INSERT INANE HOBBY] are supposed to be a worthy endeavour, yet no single [PERSON] has ever managed to write a coherent piece of text on why exactly they should be seen as such

who cares

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

newreply.php posted:

What is a worthy endeavor?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

The handful we have we're all loaners from the staff, myself included. I donated the last leftover 360 game I had after my Xbox crapped out. So it's not like we're buying brand new 60 dollar games.

But yeah, they're probably gonna get scratched to poo poo and will be hell to replace.

can't donate games here, it's against contracts with game publishers or something :(

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
woah i clickjed on this thread and a byunch of text just started loading in the op

what the gently caress

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I think it's related to cartoons actually. No matter how high quality or "mature" an animation is (take Spirited Away for example), there's always a big contingent of people that view it as something only for children, because it isn't "real" like a non-animated film or TV show. I think the general public applies the same thing to games.

It's a generational thing too I imagine, because when my parents were growing up all animated TV/film was solely made for kids, but then stuff like Akira/Ghost in The Shell and the Playstation and CD-ROM happened, which created a whole new industry of adult-oriented animated entertainment overnight. We went from Super Mario to FMV games with Christopher Walken in the blink of an eye in the 90's.

Also game advertising is so bad. I don't think I've ever seen a good TV/cinema ad for a game in modern times, usually they just put Eminem or something over the janky cutscenes and that's about it.

Another thing is the unpolished or glitchy state of games at release that makes them seem very unprofessional. Imagine if a blockbuster movie was released and the picture was distorted with half the sound missing, in all cinemas worldwide for the first week?. Like they had to "patch" the film, and get everyone to come back next week. It just wouldn't be tolerated. To us seasoned gamers, it's just expected that a multiplayer game won't properly work on release. To the public though, that's a foreign concept. It's very insular thinking from publishers and devs.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

psyman posted:

I think it's related to cartoons actually. No matter how high quality or "mature" an animation is (take Spirited Away for example), there's always a big contingent of people that view it as something only for children, because it isn't "real" like a non-animated film or TV show. I think the general public applies the same thing to games.

spirited away is aimed at kids (they say all ages but really, it's for kids). there has been animations aimed at adults since like, the start of animation. betty boop, old looney tunes, ralph bakshi and then modern poo poo like king of the hill or south park. i don't think animation is seen as a kids thing at all.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

FoolyCharged posted:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
I thought it was pretty clear that op was pretty into them, but that he wanted casual stuff included in the equation as well.

The newest generation of games use a poo poo load of vram. You're gonna need a 970 at least to run the newest games decently.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

oh you're going to a club, have fun with that would love to come but i've got a princess to save

*lifts oculus rift*

and she's a real sweetheart. have fun with your drunk charlatans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Probably because properly labeling them as dangerously potent escape tools doesn't sound too good. They take escapism to a whole new level and that's as dangerous as it can be useful.

If anyone would be in anyway affected by a video game, they would be equally affected by tv, movies, and even books and plays. People have actually killed because of an influence of a book, but most of the time when they try to connect video games a killing its just because there happens to be a console in the room, not that it has never happened that a killer was influenced by games. Labeling games and such just make you sound like a grandpa saying "Comic books will rot your brains out!"

psyman posted:

It's a generational thing too I imagine, because when my parents were growing up all animated TV/film was solely made for kids, but then stuff like Akira/Ghost in The Shell and the Playstation and CD-ROM happened, which created a whole new industry of adult-oriented animated entertainment overnight. We went from Super Mario to FMV games with Christopher Walken in the blink of an eye in the 90's.

Also game advertising is so bad. I don't think I've ever seen a good TV/cinema ad for a game in modern times, usually they just put Eminem or something over the janky cutscenes and that's about it.

Another thing is the unpolished or glitchy state of games at release that makes them seem very unprofessional. Imagine if a blockbuster movie was released and the picture was distorted with half the sound missing, in all cinemas worldwide for the first week?. Like they had to "patch" the film, and get everyone to come back next week. It just wouldn't be tolerated. To us seasoned gamers, it's just expected that a multiplayer game won't properly work on release. To the public though, that's a foreign concept. It's very insular thinking from publishers and devs.

Previews for movies often look far worse then the actual finished film. Not to mention films needless cutting corners, and this is with films with massive bloated budgets. And I agree with the cartoon caparison. Cartoons are really identical to an other form of film. In any case its just frames flashing by to give the illusion of fluid motion, there is nothing inherently 'kiddy' about it. Speaking of Inception again, if it was made to be an anime instead it would have a much smaller, and probably completely different audience to watch it, assuming it made it to American theaters at all. It could be completely identical, but would be instantly written and not even watched by the same people who would have fawned over the plot if it was live action. I know Inception actually is influenced by an similar anime .

Top City Homo posted:

woah i clickjed on this thread and a byunch of text just started loading in the op

what the gently caress

Do goons actually still 'touch-type?' Because it isn't very hard to type alot of words out. If I had to hand write the OP it would have taken effort, but typing out a bunch of words is pretty easy to do.

• Locked thread