Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
thats b/c anime sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

oh my god OP, you are actually Fry, aren't you.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dyna Soar posted:

thats b/c anime sucks

Actually it's extremely good.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

Venom Snake posted:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
says the two guys with anime avatars

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dyna Soar posted:

says the two guys with anime avatars

Venom Snake is video games friend

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

yeah well I have an anime avatar and that's bad. thats reddit as hell. or a mra.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
op is the perfect example of why video games are for children. he's doing exactly the opposite of what he set out to accomplish.

it's impressive, really

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

opus111 posted:

oh my god OP, you are actually Fry, aren't you.

Lets be honest here opus111. If I didn't want to smoke weed and talk about video games I wouldn't be posting on SA. Also, making more of an effort and made this my thesis statement and got an for said paper, then posted said paper, this thread would have turned out the same.

Venom Snake posted:

Venom Snake is video games friend

Maybe he meant me. All anime are cartoons, but not all cartoons are anime and all that.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some video games are for children like call of duty and halo, then you have games for adults like wolfenstein and MGS.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
anime this and anime that

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
face it op you're a geek and thats why your work mates make fun of you

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

that's brutal dude

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

face it op you're a geek and thats why your work mates make fun of you

That wasn't very polite.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i have a workmate who's a gamer and all he talks about is games this and rockpapershotgun that and giantbomb and gamergame and it's very tiring to listen to him ranting when yr trying to relax on a break. i've told him that i dont play games that much but he won't get the message and i'll probably have to just tell him to shut up soon

you're like that aren't you op

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

the classic talk about your cooler colleagues own. unstoppable as they say in unreal tournament

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Video Games aren't really made with children in mind a lot of the time but they do tend to lack depth. I've never in my life seen anybody rag on someone for playing them that's more of a petty internet thing. People WILL think you're a weirdo if you obsessively talk about them and mention them all the time but that has more to do with failing to socialize properly then it does with some kind of society-wide condemnation of video games as a hobby.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

You've convinced me OP. I'm gonna dig my old Thrustmaster out of mom's attic and play some Freespace.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE
I think your question answers itself OP.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Good point OP

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
OP you are a good troll

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

i have a workmate who's a gamer and all he talks about is games this and rockpapershotgun that and giantbomb and gamergame and it's very tiring to listen to him ranting when yr trying to relax on a break. i've told him that i dont play games that much but he won't get the message and i'll probably have to just tell him to shut up soon

you're like that aren't you op

Maybe he just wants to break the silence? Some people like taking their breaks in dead silence, others find that awkward. Did you try bringing up things to talk about?

Jim Barris posted:

Video Games aren't really made with children in mind a lot of the time but they do tend to lack depth. I've never in my life seen anybody rag on someone for playing them that's more of a petty internet thing. People WILL think you're a weirdo if you obsessively talk about them and mention them all the time but that has more to do with failing to socialize properly then it does with some kind of society-wide condemnation of video games as a hobby.

Mainly a somethingawful is what I was thinking about. I occasionally see it in person but not often. On something awful its pretty much to the point of absurdity how much people want to look down on a hobby.

BKPR posted:

You've convinced me OP. I'm gonna dig my old Thrustmaster out of mom's attic and play some Freespace.

That is good, you should do that.

myshl0ng posted:

Good point OP

Why thank you, myshl0ng!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shnag posted:

Mainly a somethingawful is what I was thinking about. I occasionally see it in person but not often. On something awful its pretty much to the point of absurdity how much people want to look down on a hobby.

It's because we're all broken, self hating individuals. I have seen no one that hates goons more than goons do. It's because nobody else knows about goons:ssh:

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
its a stupid hobby though, you could make fly fishing lures and be more respectable

I've never gamed even once

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

BKPR posted:

I'm going to master some Thrusts inside your mom instead

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Shnag posted:

No one hates nerds and nerd stuff as much as other nerds on the internet. Games aren't even really nerd stuff anymore, the most sociable partygoing jocks you know still like to sit on their couch and play some cod/madden/fifa. I mean heck, in tyool 2015 being a nerd isn't really that negative as long as you don't let it consume your identity, just look at all the shows and sitcoms with nerdy characters in it people like to watch.

I think what more normal people find problematic about gaming is that it's a very accessible form of escapism and tends to give the people who get really involved in them the kind of accomplished satisfaction that is usually reserved for making progress in your life in the real world. Instead of developing skills, some people will sit on the couch and marathon sitcoms or spend 40+ hours a week in a mmorpg. Now I get that you're trying to say that all hobbies that you're not a professional at are equally a waste of time from a nihilistic "at the end of your life is it going to matter that you were really good at the trumpet?" perspective, but imo there's more value in practicing and learning a skill that takes dedication and effort just from a developmental perspective than watching tv or playing wow. Sitting around playing games all day is basically hedonism akin to severe substance abuse, you can certainly argue that there's no point to life but to enjoy it but a life without ambition is imo missing out.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 23, 2015

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

It's because we're all broken, self hating individuals. I have seen no one that hates goons more than goons do. It's because nobody else knows about goons:ssh:

This is kind of what I expected it to be to start with, and others made this point too. What I am trying to see if they can actually explain it without giving an example that could to apply to really any hobby, or without saying something along the lines of "Everything I like is great, everything else is for faggots!" or "Straw man OP! The answer is strawman! Your a strawman op, that is what I am saying "

I can also just keep posting about video games too. It seems to get some goons all fired up.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Wow, op, you're a real puppet master owning all these goons and getting them worked up

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
video game ownage

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

sexy young infidel posted:

video game ownage

lol i know :hf:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like to swear at 12 year olds on Xbox live for 10 hours. Got a problem with that?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm going to master some Thrusts inside your mom instead

i got that mod off usenet in 99, it actually wasn't that great.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shnag posted:

I can also just keep posting about video games too. It seems to get some goons all fired up.

lol, im actually gonna play a game in a bit, op. u need to troll harder.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Hmmm.. it was more like the opposite.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
MGS TPP will be a game for all ages

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Venom Snake posted:

MGS TPP Civilization Age of Empires was a game for all ages

fixed

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jim Barris posted:

I have a friend like this. It's the only thing we ever talk to each other about besides some occasionally movies. Books, music, life events, anything more personal or abstract just leaves him silent.
He buys like every game that comes out and doesn't have a savings account. This dude lives and breathes videogames but he's not even that knowledgeable.

It's so weird to just totally lack a personality besides your hobby.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

I have a friend like this. It's the only thing we ever talk to each other about besides some occasionally movies. Books, music, life events, anything more personal or abstract just leaves him silent.
He buys like every game that comes out and doesn't have a savings account. This dude lives and breathes videogames but he's not even that knowledgeable.

It's so weird to just totally lack a personality besides your hobby.

you laugh at me because i'm different, i laugh at you because you're all the same :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Can you believe a medium that is defined almost entirely by pointless, gratuitous violence and enjoyed by some of the most annoying retards alive is considered immature?

• Locked thread