Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

Well if they continue this trend there's still mega rails, mega legs, mega plasma, etc.

Mega pilot seat?

Mega Headlights :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It would be cool to have :siren:s I could make a discobot

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Mega alignment rectifiers.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Mega heavy armor blocks.

100x the weight, still only T1 armor.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Steelion posted:

Mega heavy armor blocks.

100x the weight, still only T1 armor.

This would actually be totally awesome if they integrated kinetic physics damage. Become a rod from god and annihilate people like this:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Chard posted:

This would actually be totally awesome if they integrated kinetic physics damage. Become a rod from god and annihilate people like this:

Mega-Rectifier, 3 Mega-Heavy Blocks, four fins for guidence, this idea is amazing.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

What exactly are the rules for getting tech points? There have been many games where I get nothing what the gently caress.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kill dudes.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Also for being at the cap point when a section of the bar fills up. And possibly a few for being the winning team, can't remember.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Spotting eventually gets you TP, I think.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Had a pretty funny round just now. Early on, a guy got blasted down to just his bugout seat, then managed to survive the entire round just with that. His health read 0% and at the end he had six other robots hunting him down, but the round only ended because I'd parked my rear end on the flag.

In semi-related news, a robot shaped (and colored) like a slice of cheesecake is surprisingly effective. It's not a solid brick, either, mainly because I don't have the CPU to fill the interior with actual armor.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So after reading the bit about radar jammers having a cooldown I slapped six of them on my underpowered tier 6 tank and just kept on sneaking up on people and murdering them, it was pretty great.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Just tried four of those nanorepair guns on a floater, I clearly do not have enough shields to be a medic.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Being medic owns and you should not be afraid to be aggressive within short ranges as a medic. Getting lasered in the face can cause enemies to panic(or die) and give you the time you need to heal up your teammates.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Being a medic covered in health lasers and energy blades is really scary.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Seems like virtually every medic I shoot at is just layered in shields and takes forever to die from smgs but I just get insta shredded by rail guns, wish the snipers on my team would shoot the medics more.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Saw this earlier

They even did the tail!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wow, building a flyer is way different than it used to be, when did helium get to be such a high tier?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I sometimes see a lot of bosses without spider legs. What's wrong with them? The people I mean.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I sometimes see a lot of bosses without spider legs. What's wrong with them? The people I mean.

Man I want to get to tier 7 for crazy rear end spider legs, watching people jump around with them is awesome.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Spiderlegs have a lot of issues that makes them sub-par to other forms of movement.

-They don't have a lot of health despite having huge hitboxes
-They're the second slowest form of travel (Only Tracks are slower.)
-Its hard to fit shields around them.
-Hoverblades and Tank-Tracks can scale 80% of maps already.
-If you get flipped over, your top side is considered *slick* so you'll be sliding to the lowest point on the map.
-There isn't a lot of points where jump-shooting gives an advantage.
-Vertical walls give massive momentum, you might decide to peak out to snipe a bot, but your robots going to decide it needs to race to the bottom.
-You need three for minimum function, if you have two or less, your robot will flip uncontrollably.

Really the only weapon class that can make use of them is rail-guns, and that's because they are trying to keep away from other tanks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Thor-Stryker posted:

-You need three for minimum function, if you have two or less, your robot will flip uncontrollably.

I saw one that was two spider-legs in front and a tank tread in back, so the legs were basically pulling the rest of the body forward (and up). Thought that was really clever.

Also probably one of the few ways to get a walker down to T5.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dareon posted:

I saw one that was two spider-legs in front and a tank tread in back, so the legs were basically pulling the rest of the body forward (and up). Thought that was really clever.

Also probably one of the few ways to get a walker down to T5.

Saw a guy climbing mountains with one leg in the front and two wheels in the back.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
I'm surprised at how much the game has changed from when I played many months ago. Matches feel much more tactical now and less like 2 sides marching to meet each other in the middle of the map guns blazing like it used to. Not sure if the devs plan to implement voice chat at some point but that would be a nice addition.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

I thought to myself "How big can I make a hoverbot in t5?"

This big. 761 cubes, 736 of which are t3 armor blocks for a total of 148,672 armor. There's 8 t6 medibeams on the underside below my 8 t4 hoverblades in the arms there, accompanied by 2 t5 jammers. Above are 2 t6 thrusters, a t5 radar and 4 t2 hoverblades because I was doing an 'escape capsule' which didn't really work out but they DO actually compensate for missing arms and hoverblades so I'm keeping them.

I can eat worlds of damage and keep healing. I can, and have used my bulk to protect lesser bots from plasma rain. I have had top kills more often that is really reasonable.

I am huge.

edit: I've also run out of CPU so when it comes time to do t6 with this thing I'm going to have to upgun and replace all that armor with t4 armor which is going to be so massively painful oh my god

Denzine fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 9, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It can be a little tricky to make them fit but I really like pairing wings (rudders, technically; foils are too huge) with walker legs. It lets you get from place to place quickly through the air, and then you can lock tight and shoot your rails once you arrive. It's cool because if you let the legs grab the ground you'll stop almost instantly, no needing to decelerate to land.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Man going up tiers makes me feel kind of bad because everyone has these nice symmetrical tanks and I'm just slapping together enough garbage to get up in ranks.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

SynthOrange posted:

Well if they continue this trend there's still mega rails, mega legs, mega plasma, etc.

Mega pilot seat?
Funny you should mention that in particular, because there is a model of a Mega Pilot Seat:

My guess is that whether you use this or the regular Pilot Seat is how the game determines whether you're using a Megabot or not.

SynthOrange posted:

Being a medic covered in health lasers and energy blades is really scary.
:devil:

You wanna shoot my patients? Fine, then enjoy taking 14 tesla blades to the face and getting all your guns torn off.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I may have become immobilized and defanged, but I still had my CNB. :chome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDi2ubgKsY&t=394s

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

The megaplates update finally dropped.

All the megaplates have these stats (T10 plates comparisons are in brackets):
-200 pFLOPs cost (to 56)
-11,118,121 Ranking (to 427,033.46)
-5,359 Armor (to 3,158)
-53,589 Shield (to 31,583)
-50 Kg (to 15)

I made a harmless little buggy with which to test them, and I've learned a few things:

-The TX-1A (corner) plates have 5 connection pegs: one from the front, two from the top and two from the side. Straight connection as seen in the picture is done by placing it on the side of a cube.
-The TX-1B plates have 6 pegs, arranged in a neat rectangle fashion.
-The full plate is treated as a single entity in damage calculation. That means the extra parts you see on them do not take damage/recharge/get blown off separately, they all go at once.
-They're absurdly strong. My otherwise-defenseless buggy had to get rushed by half of the enemy team before it took lasting damage. Two T10 rail shots didn't destroy a plate, nor did two full T10 Plasma volleys. I didn't get shot at by nanos or SMGs, but I'm sure they'd last quite a while against those too.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Other notable numbers:

352 T10 tech points to unlock (x4 =1,408)
435,005 rupees per unit (x4=1,740,020)

I'm actually a little terrified of going up against these things. On the one hand they're absolutely huge which means it's going to be tough to build around, but when bombers start strapping these on life as a sniper is going to be very unpleasant if it takes 3+ T10 rails to break them.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Chard posted:

Other notable numbers:

352 T10 tech points to unlock (x4 =1,408)
435,005 rupees per unit (x4=1,740,020)

I'm actually a little terrified of going up against these things. On the one hand they're absolutely huge which means it's going to be tough to build around, but when bombers start strapping these on life as a sniper is going to be very unpleasant if it takes 3+ T10 rails to break them.

Flyers needed a balance swing though, they were nonexistent at T10 due to rail buffs.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I think that'll be solidly countered by having about 1/4 as many of them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only flyers I see at t10 are superheavy armored ones. The ones with rows and rows of t10 plates strapped on, or rocket sticks.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

If you hear a chalky grinding sound, that is me grinding my teeth in barely-restrained rage. I was hoping, begging, pleading that this would not be how you unlock the option to build megabots.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SL the Pyro posted:

If you hear a chalky grinding sound, that is me grinding my teeth in barely-restrained rage. I was hoping, begging, pleading that this would not be how you unlock the option to build megabots.

You didn't think there would be a minimum CPU needed?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The original Megabot requirment was supposed to be lvl 100. We'll see if they reduce that to 70+

When does CPU cap out again, lvl 57?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

The original Megabot requirment was supposed to be lvl 100. We'll see if they reduce that to 70+

When does CPU cap out again, lvl 57?

I'm roughly level 92, and I am still getting more CPU each time I increase a level. I think the maximum CPU is around 1500 or so.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm roughly level 92, and I am still getting more CPU each time I increase a level. I think the maximum CPU is around 1500 or so.

You're right, 1511 is the max at lvl 100.
Interesting because I purchased one of the T7 bots a while ago, I've been sitting at 1511 CPU since late 50s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Thor-Stryker posted:

You're right, 1511 is the max at lvl 100.
Interesting because I purchased one of the T7 bots a while ago, I've been sitting at 1511 CPU since late 50s
This is the same thing I did, I'm Level 77 but I've had 1511 CPU since 65 or so.

What's grinding my gears is that it's specifically level-based, not CPU-based. Not only does this mean a loving long grind, but it makes me feel like I wasted my money.

• Locked thread