Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

F2P means it isn't fun by nature since it include arbitrary walls people are already complaining about on the first page. If you find it fun then that's cool you admit you're a person who has incredibly low standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

F2P means it isn't fun by nature since it include arbitrary walls people are already complaining about on the first page. If you find it fun then that's cool you admit you're a person who has incredibly low standards.

Hi friend! Thank you for joining in to gripe about F2P games without apparently even trying the one this thread is for. You're well thought out contribution will cherished, always.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
My only gripe is that my gains are cut in half unless I'm premium but I don't give a gently caress anyways. the points come fast and frequent and I hope it doesn't get grindy soon.

E: Another gripe is that weapon list is very small but I hope they add to it.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
i dropped $20 on this F2P game that I'm having fun on which is BULLSHIT, I wish they'd just charge $20!!!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Screaming "You cant kill me! I'm a premium player!" into chat always gets a great reaction.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, I originally ground my SMG up to tier 10 when it was the only weapon, then took a break. I came back and saw they had a whole new bunch of stuff, played for 15 or so hours, then decided to "buy" the game for $40 bucks; haven't regretted it yet.

People complaining about the nature of Free 2 Play games have issues, however Pay 2 Wins are another thing:
World of Tanks originally had gold rounds that idiots payed for to get the massive damage boost (Totally Unfair)
Mech Warrior: Online locked all the clan mechs for the first six months to only those who purchased with real money AND introduced an Improved Coolshot for money until the community got in an uproar.

Robocraft has yet to become a P2W, CPU is the only true gate and its tied to leveling like WoW is with gear.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I don't have problems with free to play games, I have problems with poor design. Withholding the ability to save blueprints so that you can make people pay for a system that is worse (because of parts conservation) is pretty awful.

I'm not hating on the game though, I played it a bunch today with some friends and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I like the artbots that some people make. I've seen the mobile oppression palace from Futurama, a 2D Megaman bot, a Bullet Bill, touhou ladies, and this awesome orcabot I saw yesterday:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Artbots are the best. They may be like 70-90% as effective as a tryhard triforced shitbrick shieldball bot, but it's way more fun to play and, if you lose, well, you were playing an art bot so who fuckin cares.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Not sure it qualifies as an artbot, but I've been flying a giant dick bot around since day one with minimal changes. Even in upper tiers it's still decently effective.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
My, ahem, "artbot" requires way more cpu than I have available, not even sure if i could finish it w/ 1511cpu w/o shrinking it. Only smaller bots can actually fit under it as it is.

Sucklebot

That and I don't know how many teats a pig actually has, gotta be accurate.

I hope nobody looks at my search history today.

This was pretty neat, though completely non-functional... Unless their function was to kill my ranked score, in which they succeeded.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Thor-Stryker posted:

World of Tanks originally had gold rounds that idiots payed for to get the massive damage boost (Totally Unfair)
Premium rounds don't give a damage boost, they just have a higher penetration value. It's an advantage, sure, but not "Totally Unfair". If you come across a tank you can't damage without them, it's likely they'll blow holes right through you anyways.
Also they've been purchasable with the regular in-game silver for quite some time now. Granted, they're so expensive that you won't be able to afford to use them a lot without a premium account, but overall they're a very mild offender as far as pay-to-win goes.

EDIT: Well, there was that one certain gun mounted on one certain tank, that had absurd premium rounds that did do greatly increased damage, but it was patched out ages ago.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nordick posted:

Premium rounds don't give a damage boost, they just have a higher penetration value. It's an advantage, sure, but not "Totally Unfair". If you come across a tank you can't damage without them, it's likely they'll blow holes right through you anyways.
Also they've been purchasable with the regular in-game silver for quite some time now. Granted, they're so expensive that you won't be able to afford to use them a lot without a premium account, but overall they're a very mild offender as far as pay-to-win goes.

EDIT: Well, there was that one certain gun mounted on one certain tank, that had absurd premium rounds that did do greatly increased damage, but it was patched out ages ago.

Not to mention that their penetration characteristics actually made them worse in many situations. Gold rounds were a notorious pubbie wallet warrior trap.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Nordick posted:

Ok so its just an incremental boost, but its still changing the dynamics of combat with real money.

Its would be like Robocraft having special SMGs that spread damage along the trajectory rather than around the impact site; minor in change, but can affect gameplay.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
That's not really a valid analogy, because the WoT premium shells don't do anything mechanically differently from normal shells. If they don't penetrate the armour they do nothing, just like normal shells, if they do penetrate they do the same damage a normal shell would. They just have a bigger chance of the latter happening.

Mind you, I'm not saying they're not problematic. They do mean that tanks relying on thick armour instead of mobility are at a disadvantage, because many enemies can load premium shells and shoot through their face. Fast tanks with little armour don't care, since everything will damage them anyways. I'm just saying they're a pretty tame example of p2w, especially since you don't even really need real money to use them, anymore. They're just an otherwise troubled feature now.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Premium rounds in Robocraft could be as if each hit your armor blocks took, it treated those blocks as if they were one tier lower.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
You can't drive a hover-toilet in WoT.

Therefore, etc.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Here's the medic derpbus I'm currently running:

It does somersaults when you drive it off a cliff.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I played world of tanks for years and I really enjoyed the slow plodding, accuracy/knowledge focused gameplay of it rather than something like call of duty which is all twitch based.

I've been enoying the game so far but kind of getting my poo poo wrecked which I'm assuming is more due to my suckage than any imbalance at lower levels. I'm curious how the tiers work however? I read in the OP tha tI should work to tier up as quickly as possible for increased rewards but i don't actually know what determines tier.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Every cube has a stat called robot ranking attached to it (hover your mouse over a cube in the depot to see this). All of those ranking numbers added up for your current bot determines what tier that bot goes in. The white bar on the bottom of your screen in the garage shows you how close you are to the next tier, though it's a bit misleading as the tier scale isn't linear. There are better cash rewards in higher tiers, and the Tech Points you get at the end of each match are for whatever tier your bot is. So if you want to get a nice nest egg with which to build the robot of your dreams and also have all the tech unlocked that you'd need to build it, you need to progressively upgrade your robot with higher tier stuff so that you move up through the tiers. Movement cubes have the biggest robot ranking attached to them typically, so when in doubt, throw more wheels/hoverblades/etc. on it.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 23, 2015

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I wish they would rework the shields. Not a fan of the stats AND shape being determined by the ranking of the shield. Sometimes a lower rank shield would be the perfect shape but it will end up having terrible protection value.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

SumYungGui posted:

I wish they would rework the shields. Not a fan of the stats AND shape being determined by the ranking of the shield. Sometimes a lower rank shield would be the perfect shape but it will end up having terrible protection value.

I agree, that needs to be reworked. All shapes should be available at every tier, or at least as you move up in tiers they incrementally become available so at T10 you can choose from any of them. You see tons of T3 shields in T10 because the shape is desirable, but it doesn't survive more than one hit, so what's the point.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SumYungGui posted:

I kind of agree, but I also don't think it would work in practice. It would be really tough to communicate in-game what the shield is. As it is now, if you see a certain shape of shield you know immediately about how much damage it can soak up before breaking and you can play accordingly. If players could assign any tier to any shape it would be unfair to people shooting at you, unless they also added some kind of visual signal, and I don't even know how they'd do that.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Chard posted:

I kind of agree, but I also don't think it would work in practice. It would be really tough to communicate in-game what the shield is. As it is now, if you see a certain shape of shield you know immediately about how much damage it can soak up before breaking and you can play accordingly. If players could assign any tier to any shape it would be unfair to people shooting at you, unless they also added some kind of visual signal, and I don't even know how they'd do that.

Might be a bit tough to see, but what about making the shield frame a unique color like blocks? Or somehow integrate that coloring.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

bimmian posted:

Might be a bit tough to see, but what about making the shield frame a unique color like blocks? Or somehow integrate that coloring.

Tier color of cube = color of the shield panel. Instead of the generic shiny blue on every shield, they get colored the same as the cubes.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

SumYungGui posted:

Tier color of cube = color of the shield panel. Instead of the generic shiny blue on every shield, they get colored the same as the cubes.

This would definietly be the best method for sure.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Quick Tip for Beginners

You need to make sure you have proper space between your weapon turrets.
If you don't space your turrets vertically, then they will shoot each other in the back.
If you don't alternate spacing horizontally, then same thing.
See the pic below for an example of enough space:

You can check your builds in practice by picking a spot in close range and firing your turrets at it, if you fail to see a tracer, that means you have a weapon that's impacting on another one.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

http://robocraftgarage.com/b/little I used this robot at low tiers and changed it a bit for tier 5 and it still works great. it has good weapon skirting, speed, and reminds me of a tupperware box.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I copied that design ver batem only using lovely armor and things as I lack alot of the parts. i noticed an immediate marked improvement over what I had been doing. I think I've snagged a kill or two each game since I switched. Thanks.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You can't drive a hover-toilet in WoT.

Therefore, etc.

This reminds me back of when I tried out Spore :3:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Agent355 posted:

I copied that design ver batem only using lovely armor and things as I lack alot of the parts. i noticed an immediate marked improvement over what I had been doing. I think I've snagged a kill or two each game since I switched. Thanks.

It's an amazing build and in Tier 2-3 I've been scoring at least 4-5 kills. My highest kill score was 7 kills in a lost match.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I WAS taking the starting bot and just building upon it and seeing how far I could take that design, but once I got treads I all but gave up on that and made some armored brick. I'm sad to say though, it really can't handle hits from plasma bombers no matter how hard I try to fix that. beginning to think I'd do better removing the top armor and using the crazy electric plating to cover the treads rather than using anymore blocks. thoughts/suggestions?

E: wow that screenshot is actually not current, I got nearly all orange blocks at this point and it's at tier 5.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 24, 2015

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

The only way to handle Plasma bombers is to be fast and avoid the shots, or killing them.

I'm actually starting to like SMGs more and more everyday. They're good enough to snipe and plink flying vehicles and are also good at sniping weapons off others. Throw in a few thrusters and you'll be a speedy oval office.

Also thrusters help a lot when trying to traverse the Ice lakes.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Dizz posted:

Also thrusters help a lot when trying to traverse the Ice lakes.

Wow look at how wrong you are.

You should always take every opportunity to drive sideways. It's way more fun. :colbert:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The hover stability buff was nice otherwise, but I feel like it's made it harder to climb up very steep inclines. I often just end up grinding my front in the cliff face.

Also, I've been just gradually expanding my hoverbot by just tacking more blocks onto it, in order to accommodate the bigger higher tier guns, and I just now realised the thing is actually wider than it's long. I guess some more significant restructuring is in order. :v:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Rorac posted:

Wow look at how wrong you are.

You should always take every opportunity to drive sideways. It's way more fun. :colbert:

That's usually what happens, but when you stop in the ice, it takes a while for you to gain momentum, with thrusters, you just say gently caress it and it pushes you around.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Saw this today, on a medic bot.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

That dong was so heavy my T2 hoverfans couldn't actually lift it to proper hover height, but thanks to the weight distribution, I could raise or lower the head instead.

Mostly unrelated to todger-bot, my hover designs are all really squirrely in the left-right steering and tend to flip upside down at the drop of a hat, even with a heavy keel. Not that being upside down is that much of a detriment to hovers.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I recall reading that hoverblades apply all their lift at the connection point. Is this still true? If so, you can probably improve the stability by rotating those hoverblades off the spine of the craft so they attach further out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dareon posted:

Not that being upside down is that much of a detriment to hovers.
Would be cool if Freejam implemented a feature to invert the left-right steering controls whenever a bot flips over. Or just made the steering camera-relative, whatever.

Edit: You know, basically let us drive around like in Rollcage, if anyone remembers that old gem of a racing game.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 25, 2015

• Locked thread