Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

That dong was so heavy my T2 hoverfans couldn't actually lift it to proper hover height, but thanks to the weight distribution, I could raise or lower the head instead.

Mostly unrelated to todger-bot, my hover designs are all really squirrely in the left-right steering and tend to flip upside down at the drop of a hat, even with a heavy keel. Not that being upside down is that much of a detriment to hovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I saw a platoon of flying penis medics and a decent Enterprise, but artbots are scarce in the low tiers.

I've also been witness to the internet truism that the more skills someone's username proclaims, the worse they are. The sheer number of epikillasnipahz with a forest of T1 SMGs on pillars of basic armor blocks is staggering. Then I fly over in my Jam Cookie and snipe their pilot seat.

Also also, I'm getting sticker shock from the higher-tier parts. Like the guns for my T3 bot cost more than my entire T2 bot.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

aparmenideanmonad posted:

No time to save for megawheels, I had half a mil RP worth of pink blocks to buy.

Possibly NSFW!

Any votes for armament?

A single T1 top-mount SMG on the cockhead.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Even with two jammers, there's a brief moment between them triggering where you're visible on radar. I've used that to dash out and snipe a stealth plasma tank that thought he was safe on a rock formation.

So does anyone else build decoy cockpits? For one of my bots I built two glass domes exactly the size to fit a pilot seat. For my current bot, I have the seat in a little nest of tier-appropriate armor blocks, and a glass dome behind that that only holds my radar.

Unfortunately this isn't very useful when I run face-first into plasma. :negative:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Repairs have a cost? :shrug:

e:

Androc posted:

As a new player to this game, there's a lot of stuff that's really cool- the whole building system, the way bots get destroyed in pieces and all that. But, for real, gently caress whoever rolls into T1 or T2 games with rail cannons or whatever else that are literally impossible to unlock at that tier. Is this kind of thing going to be an issue all the way up to T10? Because it's making me seriously reconsider playing this game all by itself.

It's a different story once you get up to T3 and tiny medic bots start showing up. I love those guys.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I saw one in a T4 fight. It had three radar dishes on it, which I have to assume is the only way to get a gunchair to T4, and I couldn't help thinking "What's this fuckstick playing at? You can't kill anything of substance with a single railgun, especially if you're bobbling all over the place."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Might be difficult with nothing but a brick of whites and a pilot seat, but it sounds like he just wasn't noticing the Movement and Hardware tabs in the cube shop and possibly the garage.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I am not good at planes. :saddowns:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It does get to the point where you're just gluing random poo poo to your bot in a mostly-futile attempt to nudge the bar that last pixel into the next tier. :argh:

My T5 bot has 8 railguns and some random armor cruft on it, and it's kind of a crapshoot which six guns will charge up and be able to fire. I actually got the last pixel by replacing two of my windshield blocks with armor.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I really want the ability to shroud your weapons inside armour at the cost of losing the ability to move it based on where you put the blocks. Maybe with the ability to slave movement to mouselook when you zoom in so your vehicle moves to center the weapon.

This entirely. Let me build my Kingdom Hearts gummi ships that were basically just a long rod of guns that I pointed at things I wanted to go away.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been having fun with my T5 interceptor, though I tend to fly out ahead of everyone, spot three rail tanks for my team and get popped instantly by the one I didn't spot. Although I had an amusing time where my plane got completely destroyed except for my bug-out chair: two T3 thrusters and a single SMG. Just by wildly thrusting and sniping, I took out a full-health rail tank.

Of course, then there's been the times where I go down on top of a cliff with no line of fire to anything or way off it. And the one time I got stuck on the geometry of that bigass grey tower in the first thirty seconds.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Had a pretty funny round just now. Early on, a guy got blasted down to just his bugout seat, then managed to survive the entire round just with that. His health read 0% and at the end he had six other robots hunting him down, but the round only ended because I'd parked my rear end on the flag.

In semi-related news, a robot shaped (and colored) like a slice of cheesecake is surprisingly effective. It's not a solid brick, either, mainly because I don't have the CPU to fill the interior with actual armor.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Thor-Stryker posted:

-You need three for minimum function, if you have two or less, your robot will flip uncontrollably.

I saw one that was two spider-legs in front and a tank tread in back, so the legs were basically pulling the rest of the body forward (and up). Thought that was really clever.

Also probably one of the few ways to get a walker down to T5.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Unfortunately not as effective as the previous hoverfan design, If I lose one rotor I don't have enough lift to move at all.

So as much as I love the idea of flying around healing people with cheesecake, I should probably wait until I have yellow armor blocks for the filling, enough orange for the crust, actual healguns, and maybe 25 more levels.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Denzine posted:

I've tried everything I care to, and I don't think there's any way to encapsulate rotors. Too many blocks. You're too heavy to take off and use too much CPU to mount sufficient guns.

also I now have over a thousand t5 armor cubes.

Helium probably doesn't help much, huh. I thought I had sort of a solution with my cheesecake bot where the rotors were 80% defended just by the mass of the body, but with basic and T1 armor in T4 I might as well be driving a robot made of cheese. Plus I was so heavy I couldn't get above any other bots with any sort of speed.

I really want to like rotors, but they are just a bit weak right now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Trying like hell to make a good rotor design. This is just rotors stapled onto my prior flier, though. Controls really weirdly. When I'm not moving forward, it controls like a copter: Strafes and goes straight up and down. Once I start moving forward, though, it switches back to plane controls and gets ridiculously responsive. A significant amount of rounds I tried it in wound up with me nosed into a cliff or the ground, even before I got damaged.

On the plus side, once the rotors were shot off I could keep flying around, but in that case why even have the rotors?

I've also broken into T6 and changed my Cheesecake back to a hoverfan build with nanoguns stuck to its rear end. Works really well, I've protected a couple heal targets with my bulk, and the fans are spaced well enough that I can keep moving with a huge bite taken out of me. Just need to up-armor it, right now I'm covered in piecemeal assortments of T2-5 armor.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Only" :negative:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, I literally like JUST bought healguns yesterday and I already know I have no business trying to chase down and steal a kill.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's weird, like, medic etiquette seems like seriously obvious stuff. Make an effort to get over to the medic and stop being shot while he heals you, do your best to hold still, don't get him killed.

And some of these guys do that. Like, I healed one guy up from 13% and there was an orderly queue behind me consisting of half the team (The other half, including the second medic, had blown up, we then went on to win). But everyone else... :negative:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I don't get people who build like that. It just seems like double the work.

Maybe one and a half times. Once you have the skeleton laid down, it's pretty easy to just pop off a row of whites and throw on your actual armor five or six at a time. Less so if you're making it entirely out of wedges, what's the benefit of that? Serious question.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Artbots are great :)

:downs:

I'm actually really happy with that. It's a complete rainbow shitbrick disaster, and the guns on the rear end are a little weird to deal with (I need to either pull in front of a casualty or spin around like a goofball), but people don't seem to know where to aim on the thing. Like I've been down to a stationary pile of guns and chair before, still blithely healing away while people take potshots at my front. If I want to change anything on the inside (Waiting on another level so I can up-tier two of the hoverfans), I need to pull out some wall, and it's very claustrophobic in there.

But I've honestly had a more fulfilling time in the last week with my medic than I have the entire previous month with conventional weapons.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Those flying cones always amuse me a bit. They're obviously a really good design, but I could never figure out how they worked. So thanks for pulling the shielding off and showing us the interior.

I might build one myself, if I can suppress the instinct to try and stuff a radar dish and a pair of jammers in there.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I made a zippy little stacked-shield plasma ski sled, it's incredibly fun until I flip over (Half the time I'll flip right back upright again) or get shot (In which case I lose all control and spin in circles until someone pops me).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I realize that that's significantly lighter than using cubes, which is important for a rocket sled, but drat does it look silly.

In similarly silly-looking news, I finally dropped some cash on this game, because yeah, I got 25 bucks worth of fun out of it by now. Bought the Overwolf bot and another garage, then almost immediately dismantled the Overwolf.

Turned it into a flying leaper. Much too heavy for the basic winglets, but it can still glide across canyons and stick to mountainsides. Flies faster than it walks, too, which has surprised a couple people, if the weapons fire that's slammed into the ground behind me is any indication.

But it's ugly as sin, it's basically a flying bathtub and it's got no good places to mount shields.

Further wolf cubes went to giving my cheesecake bot a lovely cherry topping. Of course, since most of the body is orange now, it looks like someone bled on the cheddar.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It seems like a pretty solid change, especially losing challenge and megaboss modes. I won't deny that challenge mode in my T6 interceptor is basically a way to get free points, but it's decidedly unfair to the T2 opposition that can't even knock my wings off 80% of the time. And when I'm on the side of the rabble versus T9/10, I've again always been on the winning side.

It definitely looks like a lot more of a strategic thing, less of a slugfest.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

First, we’d like to give a huge thank you to all those that have given feedback on the new meta plans. The feedback was all amazing and it’s so fantastic to have such an engaged and passionate community who care enough to take the time to voice opinions online.
That is a very diplomatic response to some of the comments I'm sure they received.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
um excuse me they are energized tachyons run through a protonium nano-matrix not some crude 'magic' :pseudo:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My bloody cheese wedge is a fine medic. :colbert: And now that I've triforced it, it blows apart in chunks instead of all at once!

e: And it has this adorable little ejector seat that I've managed to fly off and get healed back up with twice now.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 14, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It was, but also basically constituted intentionally throwing the match. A suboptimal artbot is one thing, but a complete throwaway is another.

For a moment I thought there was a gun on it, but nope, that was your gun.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Shoot the medic" is a remarkably hard concept for some people to grasp.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SynthOrange posted:

TX headlamp.

TX wolf mask.

I keep toying with the idea of buying all three masks and making a chimera bot. It would really work better as a megabot, I think.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tollymain posted:

how do people incorporate electroplates into their designs? i never really manage to think far enough ahead to do it

Poorly. :v:

e: I really like this design, it's neat and zippy, but it gets squirrely on the slightest bump, it's hilariously fragile because of all the low-tier shielding, and if a single thruster gets knocked off it becomes impossible to control.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 14, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TWIST FIST posted:

Any tips on building/piloting an interceptor? I'm in tier 4 if that matters.

I made this baby by copying a design that killed me and tweaking it:

It flies pretty well, and the basic design principles you can see will serve you well:

-Mount wings, weapons, and seats on the highest-tier blocks you can.
-Have a top-mount gun on the nose. The ones on the bottom can be front-mount if you can't afford 6-8 top-mounts.
-The reverse thrusters are essential. I've been killed/self-destructed in at least a dozen battles before I stuck those on.
-You don't need aerofoils, rudders will serve adequately and provide less target area.

For flying it, you'll have to get used to popping in and out of first-person aiming to keep your guns lined up with rolling and pitching. If you use my design, you'll want to be peppering the ground with fire and going nose-up or -down in a dogfight, up is easier but a rolling dive can be effective.

Otherwise what Sazabi said about practice mode is the best advice. Keep practicing, tweaking, and practicing some more.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Trabisnikof posted:

It seems like SMGs do very little damage to energy cubes.

SMGs seem to be the second-best (Possibly third, all my plasma was on a flyer, and they have their own problems there) means of damaging the protonium testicles, following nanobeams. Rails are terrible at it. They may pop a crystal in one shot, but that's it. One crystal.

Medics are not precisely the kings of the new meta, but they're definitely more handy to have than they used to be. Respawning and regen inside the shield have slightly reduced their usefulness, but it's made up for by being able to just rip chunks off the towers.

I'm having more fun with my delicious life-giving cheesecake than I had in the old meta. My interceptor and rail walker are still looking for their niches, and I gutted my medic sled and plasma copter because they were good for precisely jack poo poo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
A rhino head!? But I just built my Chimera!

Also, new update, with voice comms.

Looks like tower capping is shifting to slightly more vital for victory, but offense will snowball while defense struggles. Not sure I'm fond of that idea, but we'll see how it plays out.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sazabi posted:

I call him "Lazy Fox" because tank treads are slow and the things he shoots are usually garbage flyer builds.

I call it "Chupaqueso" because it's a little cheesy and it sucks. :v: (Also all my bots have food names. Except the Chimera, I haven't thought of a food name for it)

It's actually pretty decent for spiking into a hill and popping flyers, but I never play it like that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The hexagons correspond directly to the towers, but it is a bit of a struggle looking at the map and going "Yeah, that one is further left than the others, it must be the left tower." It would be better for them to be designated North/South/East/West. That way it's only a problem if you're dyslexic like me! :downs:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

EngineerSean posted:

please change thread title, game no longer fun

SynthOrange posted:

Just remove the last three words.

Or the last two and add a 't'.

You're afraid of change, we get it. You can stop posting now.

I think what I'd want them to add most at the moment is a detailed inventory of the cubes used on a bot, it's annoying to go through and count what I need to upgrade a bot to new armor.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, source your quotes.

Meanwhile, just encountered that bug where protonium crystals don't appear for me. That was legitimately unfun. They were obviously there for a few people, and you'd think pelting the area with fire would make the game smack itself in the face, but nope. Also missing: the cubes on some robots, so I was being attacked by floating clouds of guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SL the Pyro posted:

when I can amass the 34 million RP needed for the full cube conversion :cry:.

:stonk: Man, and I was grumbling softly about the 228k I needed to upgrade my cheesecake to yellow bricks. And now I'm facing a new challenge with it, because if I want to upgrade to T8 nanos I'll need to make it bigger.

Meanwhile, the new changes really make things seem a bit more dynamic, and definitely faster-paced. The importance of towers doesn't seem to have penetrated completely through the playerbase yet, which has led to some hilariously successful early base rushes. The snowball effect might be a little strong, but it might also just be the playerbase being stupid in T6/7.

Sometimes, though, I swear I'm doing 80% of the spotting, even when I'm supposed to be a back-of-the-pack railgunner. Just "Ding ding ding! There's everybody! Now they know to look for me! You're welcome!"

Now if only the game would stop crashing at the end of every other fight.

e: Also saw my first instance of tread armor, a bot with a single over-tiered railgun and around two dozen T6 treads. That was some bullshit, although it popped fairly easily once part of a side was gone.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 22, 2015

• Locked thread