Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Fliers in general need a second look when everyone has top end T10 monstrosities with more blocks than god. Things change at that point, but good god drat do plasma bombers need to have their shot spread cranked way the hell up. When I am moving in the air at render distance sniping with a shotgun I should not be confident in even hitting a specific bot. At that range I should be aiming for terrain features at best.

If flier tactics were fly fast, fly low, hit-and-run strikes with high risk high reward play style they would be where I feel they should. Plasma bombers are the exact opposite of that. Sniping poo poo-bricks of shields that one-shot people from render distance while having more than enough time to disengage if they are targeted. I find myself boycotting my plasma bomber because it's just not fun and driving my plasma bomber hunter bots just out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

and that's how you know it is not actually fun

I enjoy playing legos and blowing up those legos. Plasma bombers are still bullshit, but I'm looking forward to a weekend of playing with the new railguns. Hope I can gently caress up bombers all over the place.

So I feel the game is fun and I disagree with your post.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I wish they would rework the shields. Not a fan of the stats AND shape being determined by the ranking of the shield. Sometimes a lower rank shield would be the perfect shape but it will end up having terrible protection value.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

bimmian posted:

Might be a bit tough to see, but what about making the shield frame a unique color like blocks? Or somehow integrate that coloring.

Tier color of cube = color of the shield panel. Instead of the generic shiny blue on every shield, they get colored the same as the cubes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

buzzsaw.gif posted:

OK this game is pretty fun. Although, I did watch the tutorial video about spaced armor and it kind of made tier 1 hilarious when I built a giant cube of unarmed spaced armor that could just roll over to the cap and sit on it without dying.

That might not be too useful. If you get shot while capping the enemy base your capture progress will reset back to the last 25% break-point you filled up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is this another damage increase from the patch that increased damage and reduced load times or the same patch notes? Either way why are they screwing with SMG accuracy and spread but not plasma?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I like a lot of things about my walker/hover rail bot for getting to where I want to with a jump-and-hover approach but heaven help you if things go wrong and you end up flipped. Hovers are perfectly content to elevate you and stay upside-down, while walker legs seem to get some kind of erotic thrill out of actively sabotaging alignment rectifiers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you get the blocks for it I've found a 'skirt' of blocks out around tank treads to be incredibly durable for only being one block thick. With all the connection points on treads there's never a chance to hit the connecting spot and drop off the entire assembly. Enemies have to hit one spot over and over to get anywhere. If you can rotate and spread the damage around on your outer covering it takes forever to chew through it all.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Like aparmenideanmonad said, connect it to all the outer connections of the tank treads and spread the damage around. The blocks will never fall off in chunks, the treads take a beating and they're super stable even if you lose a tread or two. I've had a quarter of my tank totally gone and just did not notice it until I zoomed out and looked. No functionality loss.

edit: This isn't getting into super crazy stuff like triforcing and having layered armor. That's a whole different, though useful, topic. For a basic, low to mid tier poo poo-brick on treads just building a skirt out around the treads gives a noticeable chunk of survivability.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 29, 2015

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Six SMGs will give you the max available DPS. Extras past that don't reduce your DPS they just cannot increase your fire speed past that point. If they're on the opposite side of your robot and do not having a firing solution on the target they will waste shots as the firing pattern cycles through all available weapons regardless of ability to target something.

They do offer redundant weaponry to keep your DPS available as you sustain damage though so there's good and bad parts about going past six weapons, and most people will have more than six you just need to orient them properly on your bot.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Meh, still holding out hope that some day they'll separate plate tier from plate shape. There's useful shapes at low tier but they would stop like one SMG round.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Denzine posted:

Plasma bombers basically don't exist any more in the middle tiers.

I have not seen a bomber carry a team since the railgun buffs, and only just now did I actually see a bomber live beyond the opening minute.

They're certainly much, much fewer in numbers because the unwashed masses have lost their near indestructible I-win-button. When something is basically untouchable you're going to get tons and tons of bandwagoners that just want it for the easy kills. Make something a threat to them and they all find out they should have sucked the whole time. It's like seeing that one SMG tank on your team that loads up and heads in a straight line towards the enemy as fast as possible entirely by himself.

The ones that remain have adopted hit-and-run strategies instead of just loitering over head horking plasma blissfully uncaring about who shoots at them, are flying low and using terrain to avoid fire and waiting until people are engaged instead of desperately jumping to the front lines to get kills before everyone else. In other words using tactics beyond 'fly at reds, prez butan'.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm of the mindset that if you can see someone on the enemy team and get there in a few seconds you need to stop healing and start killing. The best medicine is superior firepower, and medics are remarkable in their ability to pin-point target the enemy weapons with constant damage. Sure an SMG can destroy an entire enemy vehicle faster, but medics will never have a wasted second when it comes to targeting and stripping the enemy weapons. If they're in range, every second of damage is going exactly where you tell it to.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Why doesn't everyone just use railguns all the time?

If someone gets up in your face you're probably boned. Sometimes you can shotgun your stuff at them without zooming in and take them out. If those miss or don't at least cripple them you're done for. It will only take a few seconds for them to strip off all your railguns since the guns are so big they basically can't miss. Additionally when higher tiers start showing up they'll have more shields than a shield making factory after an overtime shift. Most times those shiels will pop after one shot to an area but once you're in higher end tiers they'll eat a rail round and ask for more. Or a maxed out T10 poo poo brick with more hitpoints than god that can just keep trucking through your rail shots, those happen too.

They're still one of my absolute favorite weapons because I have a probably irrational hatred of plasma bombers and few things make me as happy as loving one of them up, ruining their day and making them quit the match without even getting a kill. It's near-suicidal and can be of questionable usefulness for the rest of the match but I basically run around T10 in a rail walker all the time doing nothing but making GBS threads on plasma bombers and then helping out where I can once they're gone.

...I may have a little bit of a grudge I need to work through. Possibly.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Definitely liking the respawn change. Hopefully there's a suicide button included. I've been a crippled chair-on-one-block lost in some obscure crevice more than a few times. Digging the extra gadgets from pilots, game really does need more flexibility and combinations to spice things up.

Not sure about the overclocker thing, will want to see how that plays out. The snowball effect of MOBAs has me really, really wary of that. The toxic atmosphere it creates of OMG FUKIN NOOB FEEDER FUK U FAGIT NUGGER oval office is something I could happily go the rest of my life without dealing with again. It's possible that it could be a positive game play element but I can very easily see any positive game play elements being drowned out by negative people-playing elements.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

NoUU posted:

Why the gently caress does this game need abilities? I can't wait till they add an auto turrets and landmines.

I'll bust on the MOBA style approach but abilities and stuff are some much needed spice. Right now once you figure out someone's weapon and movement style you know just about everything they can and will do. There are no other layers of gameplay and it wears thin.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I see plasma bombers are back with even more aggravating bullshit than they used to have. With exploit-level speeds people are getting through the air it's just loving infuriating to deal with. You'll never catch them, you can't hide from them and they're immune to anything but pure luck with how hard it is to hit something moving that fast combined with the gobs and gobs of hitpoints they have.

They'll run from SMG fire before it's a problem, railguns don't track fast enough to keep up with them, they'll never get in range of a disruptor and good loving luck hitting them with plasmas. Meanwhile their weapons have no problems at all picking people off. Why anyone thinks a huge-alpha-strike weapon should be unaffected by movement, speed or range while maintaining a tight cone of fire out to render distance is beyond me but loving christ it needs to be fixed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've seen that work quite a few times, thruster stick with a row of teslas up front just dive bombs the mega and pops it like a pinata.

edit: Aw man they took away the breached badges and turned them into lame robocraft flags that anyone can buy. That's crap.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 16, 2015

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It makes me laugh watching that helicopter fly around and goomba stomp people. Once I'm done spending unholy amounts of RP building my current T10 block poo poo-brick-SMG tank I'm probably going to make one of those just for laughs.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If the enemy megabot is close enough that I'm not likely to die making the run I always switch my medic beams over to popping off his guns. It takes like three or four seconds for medic beams to take one mega SMG off. Each gun you remove is an absurd amount of damage your team won't be taking over the rest of the fight. Take them all off and laugh as he sits there looking funny then go back and heal your own megabot. Bonus, megabot SMGs count as a hilarious amount of CPU healed/destroyed at the end of the game. Topping 3k cpu healed/destroyed is not unusual as a medic with the megabot-furball slugging matches.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
When the gently caress are thrusterbot plasma bombers going to get nerfed? Jesus loving christ it's just not fun to even play anymore. Nobody wants to do anything on the ground. I don't even want to play anything besides my plasma bomber because it's just an exercise in frustration if I try any of my other bots and I'm guessing everyone else feels the same way because it's turning every match into the same boring thing repeated over and over. Matches have become nothing but a gaggle of medics around a megabot with a buzzing cloud of people zooming around at exploit level speeds, making GBS threads plasma at each other because there are no downsides.

Any bot that isn't is just a turkey shoot for the bombers that have more hit points, more speed, access to the entire map in seconds allowing them to shrug off any damage they miraculously take and get into the best attack positions where they have alpha strike damage to cripple or instantly kill anyone they find. It is not at all hampered by the range, speed or movement, there is no fragility, no loss of maneuverability, nothing. If I'm being lazy and loitering over a target to get the kill before another bomber I've swallowed entire volleys of railgun fire and lost maybe a shield or two and a few of the twenty plus thrusters. There is no sense of urgency when I get targeted, and thirty seconds later I've flown to a medic, gotten it all repaired and I'm back over the same target again. The only laughably pathetic downside I have ever seen is weapon arc, which is not a real problem to deal with because I'm in the air making GBS threads down on people.

I almost want to go back to lower tiers where there's bot variety again. Grinding for a megabot though, so I need the T10 tokens and RP payouts.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Chard posted:

That's where the shadow assassin part comes in. It's a whole different game trying to find angles where you're not exposed and just at the edge of draw distance to where the line is. You won't always get kills, but crippling a flier so he can be wolfpacked on the ground is just as useful.

That's a whole lot of work to maybe get a miracle shot to land on the guy flipping around like a three year old on pixie sticks and cocaine, between the shields and past all the thrusters into something that matters and insta-kill me. Crippling doesn't really happen with four megabot shields and around a dozen thrusters for armor. Like I said, if I'm lazy and going real slow over a different target to get the kill ahead of all the other bombers I've swallowed entire volleys from a rail gun sucker, poo poo some plasma into his face to cripple him, flown back to the medic/megabot cluster to heal up and then snuck around behind him to finish him off long, long before he was able to heal up or even reposition himself.

I've got the hit points to suck up what he throws at me barring the miracle shots, speed and air maneuverability to heal myself and choose where I want to fight (which is going to be up his rear end from over a hill where he has no warning since I can go anywhere) and enough damage and accuracy to make his life basically forfeit once I know where he is.

It's god drat boring and I want there to be some serious down sides to this bullshit so I can enjoy something else in game play. The only other thing I really enjoy playing is my, again, thruster stick with a pile of teslas on front because I laugh and suicide into the enemy pack. Any "normal" bots I only ever play until I get the daily double first win for that garage slot and then they're useless fish in a barrel for all the bombers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Would a huge drop in thruster hitpoints work? They feel like they are being used to make people go obscenely fast AND be layers and layers of armor. Make a hit to thrusters not bounce off and be ignored, low enough hitpoint that a shot to a thruster is going to start transferring to structural blocks and accomplish something. Large, spindly and fragile is what aircraft feel like they should be, not invincible sky-bricks.

Also, when you reach speeds that start to become your defense an additional, independent cone of fire modifier applies. A large one. For thrusterbots it's basically a straight "gently caress off" at all times, for everyone else if you're going for high speed scouting or you're running away your offense capability should diminish. You can have huge speed capability, just not use it while on the attack and you need to wait for cone of fire bloom to fade after a run.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

bimmian posted:

with the home base shield providing healing

:gonk:

Did not think of that. gently caress they need to be fixed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I mass invited a ton of people from the google docs thing, let's get this platoon thing going and if it's not-poo poo look into some voice comms maybe?

edit: Also they changed the hullbreach easter egg badge into generic robocraft holoflags. That blows.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 27, 2015

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Just another day in Robocraft. Like the last one. And the one before that. And the one before that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just spitballing, how about If you don't have wings or helicopter rotors or something thrusters alone should do what hovers do above a really low altitude, just stop providing lift. Thruster sticks zooming around with teslas I'm OK with but if you want to get into the skies you should have to use something to provide flight

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah that thruster stick "fix" means precisely zero point gently caress all. Don't get me wrong the ghost rudder fix is good, on its own. It has no impact on sky gods though. Pancake thruster bots like being barely controlled flailing idiots because it makes them drat hard to hit and plasmas don't care. They track fast enough to maintain a target, don't lose accuracy at speed or movement or direction change or anything, ever and can still out-snipe a railgun by out ranging it and do more damage over time as well.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I will freely admit I'm still bitter over the months of sky gods plasma bombing everything and basically making GBS threads on game play. Is it unbalanced? Sure. gently caress flyers though, they had it coming and it's someone else's turn to be overpowered for awhile.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I guess I just suck at teslas. I can sneak behind the blob, haul rear end into someone's....rear end...a few of them will detonate, do a little damage and then usually nothing. With a full rack of them in the front I usually expect the person to just go poof and let me run away but I always end up in a shooting match with my target, and most of my weapons are teslas so it goes poorly.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
No mention of increasing team sizes? Not impressed. Really need to increase them so one afk guy isn't a death sentence that's just going to take 20 minutes to get to the inevitable conclusion.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Looks like the OverWolf/MadOrc thing got pushed back to tomorrow? Not seeing it anywhere.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, don't much care about the robot. Probably tear it apart and leave it in my inventory. It's the garage slot and premium time I want.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That's almost all I do. Sometimes I spice it up by getting on my SMG poo poo brick tank or medic copter, but the most enjoyable thing at the moment is being on my rail walker and making flying rear end in a top hat hate life and rage in chat. Bonus if they're yet another of the millions of plasma flyers. Those guys are usually easy to get raging.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I remember waaaay back hating headlights as a rail gunner because when you zoomed in they were an obnoxious as poo poo glare effect.making them almost impossible to snipe. What do they do today besides consume an absurd amount of CPU? Seriously things are like 20 CPU for a headlight.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah, use all the connection points on a tank tread. It's the really subtle but really powerful advantage. With wheels or hovers or just about anything else it's possible to make huge chunks of a bot fall off by being unconnected. With a skirt of blocks around a tank tread connected on every possible point there's almost no way to disconnect an entire chunk and have it fall off, meaning you need to either break your way through just about every block on the way to the chair or bore a hole in one place and try to penetrate through in a straight line. Good maneuvering while under fire can prevent the latter from happening, turning you into, appropriately, a tank that takes forever to kill. When I'm on my SMG brick shithouse of tank treads and block armor I cannot ever remember dying with all my guns intact. It's so much faster to strip them off than it is to actually kill me that when I'm paired with some medic friends I'll charge in and be an annoying rear end in a top hat specifically for the purposes of getting people to shoot at me for as long as possible while the rest of the team is off doing stuff without being shot at.

On a completely unrelated note, matchmaking has sucked total rear end lately. I've lost count of the number of matches that have been 6 or 7 rail guns, or 7 or 8 plasma bombers. Highest I've seen is 9 plasma bombers in one match. That's some really boring game play and it makes me want to just go afk when those matches show up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I went helicopter with thrusters and skis on my medic. Armor is mostly shields and I stay on the ground unless I'm traveling and need to go over something. Might not be the best but my medic robot is not on the design table at the moment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not a terribly big fan of whatever hack or bug people are using to get into terrain then just sit outside the enemy reactor and kill/maim everyone that goes past until they get bored and decide to move to the reactor and attack it with no hope of ever defending against them. 2 of 5 matches yesterday had that and it blows.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
No it's not the desynching thing. Gotten used to that. What I'm seeing lately is a red dot inside the terrain and machine gun or plasma fire coming out of the terrain, moving around to advantageous positions and continuing to fire for the entire match. Not desynched "where am I getting hit from what the gently caress?" this is "Dude's right there, inside that mountain, shooting at us, destroying bots and our reactor and there's nothing we can do about it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Still wish they would slow the tracking speed of plasmas way the hell down. If plasma bombers had to stay in one general orientation during an attack run it would make a lot of the bullshit plasma flyer designs significantly less bullshit on the offense while still allowing them to maneuver for escape and evasion.

• Locked thread