Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Artbots are the best. They may be like 70-90% as effective as a tryhard triforced shitbrick shieldball bot, but it's way more fun to play and, if you lose, well, you were playing an art bot so who fuckin cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
You can't drive a hover-toilet in WoT.

Therefore, etc.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Every cube has a stat called robot ranking attached to it (hover your mouse over a cube in the depot to see this). All of those ranking numbers added up for your current bot determines what tier that bot goes in. The white bar on the bottom of your screen in the garage shows you how close you are to the next tier, though it's a bit misleading as the tier scale isn't linear. There are better cash rewards in higher tiers, and the Tech Points you get at the end of each match are for whatever tier your bot is. So if you want to get a nice nest egg with which to build the robot of your dreams and also have all the tech unlocked that you'd need to build it, you need to progressively upgrade your robot with higher tier stuff so that you move up through the tiers. Movement cubes have the biggest robot ranking attached to them typically, so when in doubt, throw more wheels/hoverblades/etc. on it.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 23, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

EngineerSean posted:

Does the pilot of the hover-toilet sit right where the water should be?

The pilot chair is actually sitting on some T1 armor cubes (brown) at the bottom of the bowl, because 8 year old me thinks that's hilarious. There's hover blades right under the "lid" and also a bunch in the tank. It wobbles amusingly when moving anywhere.

Someone else in T2 had a 1 block thick cardboard cutout person with a giant dong protruding from the front and I really wanted to try and get some amazing screenshots set up but he ran off and got blown up too fast.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
That cathedral medic is amazing - I saw a yellow submarine today that was great (prob have to click for big to see it)

I missed a bunch of tech in Tier 7 because I hated the tank I had at the time. I built this tryhard hover SMG to go back and finish unlocking things, and it's insanely good for hit and runs/flanks/capping/etc. - not as sturdy as a shitbrick on treads but goddamn it's super fast (165ish mph), really easy to dodge plasma and rails, and you can spin to keep fresh shields up pretty easily. 6 T8 SMGs, 2 T8 Thrusters, 4 T6 hoverblades and 4 sets of T7 shields. I typically will fight until I lose a few guns or a shield, go back to a medic, then head back out. After driving tanks for a few days it feels good to be fast.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm not good at making thruster only flyers, but I'm pretty sure you need some helium blocks to have a chance in hell of making something stable.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
No time to save for megawheels, I had half a mil RP worth of pink blocks to buy.

Possibly NSFW!

Any votes for armament?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Neopie posted:

I've been looking to get into this game, but I haven't found a satisfactory answer to a question of mine: Can I use thrusters as jumpjets on an otherwise ground robot? I really want to be able to use jump jets.

Mixed movement happens tons at higher tiers even with tryhard bots. Walker legs + wings + thrusters with rails or plasma to make bots that can fly from perch to perch is pretty popular. About the only thing you can't really combo with thrusters for jumping are tank treads - they're too goddamn heavy.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think they're fine now. Rails and plasma both require a certain amount of positioning/aim finesse to make work, but there's an appropriate payoff in the damage output. SMGs now do noticeably less damage by comparison (no more auto-slug fest wins at close range) but are still good since they're always ready to fire and can be used to great effect while in motion. If anything really got "nerfed" by the damage changes it's the SMG brick tanks, which are now much less viable since they really feel the pain of those rail/plasma damage boosts.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think he means you hook up the skirt to all of the connection points - if you lose a brick on one point it's not a big deal because it's connected to 3-6 others. The only downside is that you are transmitting some damage to your treads...but they're so beefy it's not a big deal, and it's certainly going to make your treads harder to take down.

People do this a lot in T8-10 where there's a lot more CPU space to have tons of blocks everywhere - my solution in my hover SMG is to just blow up their guns and then poo poo on their pilot blocks. However, I have seen multiple matches get lost because people are ignoring live, firing targets to try to get the kill on a shitbrick tank tread bot that is taking over a minute to chip through. This is actually one of the better features of the goatse.cx bot - it is huge and attention drawing and I often end up drawing tons of fire while my team just plows through them. I almost always survive, though often with little function remaining.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 29, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
You need 2x jammers of a given tier to be invisible to radar of the same tier. This is most useful for bots that are going to be doing flanking or other close combat/sneaking around kinds of poo poo, because spotting works regardless. It's handy to be able to sneak up on people and shoot their medics. Jammers are also pretty high on armor and very flat so they can be used like an armor block in places where a normal block wouldn't fit.

EDIT: A T-9 Jammer has over 6300 armor. A T10 armor cube has around 1000.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 29, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I have one (T5). I do get some success with it but only when I fly it as air support. I wait until my pals are getting shot at and then bomb the dudes they're fighting. If I get spotted out in front of my team I get hosed pretty fast.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
So I love medics, don't get me wrong, but I can't count the number of games I've lost because people (both medics and hurt dudes) get caught in the trap of sitting in plain sight of a plasma bomber or rail tank vainly trying to heal up against the damage being dealt.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
MEGAbots, which is basically super large sized high end T10 versions of all the various cubes. There's megawheels and megaSMGs so far, with megaplates on the way.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Agreed on medic woes, though I do have great success as the Goatse medic since that thing is a gigantic damage absorbing mountain of T5 blocks ranked in T6 that can straddle pretty much any ground based tank - assuming I don't spend half the match knocked over with hovers and flyers trying to mount me I can usually be a huge helpful distraction for my team. I also sometimes end up with a lot of kills since I can outlast pretty much any other bot that is dumb enough not to shoot my nano goop sprayers off.

The hoverblade implementation is so much better now for flying close to the ground but it's still pretty dumb when you get up in the air. They basically just spaz out overcorrecting and flipping you all over the place. If they are really working as repulsors that require being close to something to push against then they really shouldn't do anything at higher altitudes. That said, I'm kind of glad they don't work well with flyers because that would be too obvious, easy, and good. I assume anyone with a stable hovering flyer is using a combination of helium, thrusters, voodoo magic, and ridiculous amounts of trial and error. I also assume that such designs are really intolerant of being damaged. Thrustersticks seem way better in practice and can pretty much hover once you get used to how the bot handles.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think that higher tiers make you level up faster than lower tiers do.
Yeah, afaik, going up in levels is based on damage dealt/healed, so T10 slugfests really send it up fast. It kind of sucks because I like some of my lower Tier designs but I'm still trying to get more CPU to make really huge and stupid bots and I get way more XP duking it out in T10.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
This surprises me considering all of the extremely ridiculous "art" bots I have cranked out. I guess we finally have conclusive proof that hitler IS worse than dickbutt.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Over the holidays they released promo codes that gave things like a few days of free premium or unlocked a garage slot, so it's conceivable they'd do this again at some point. That said, if you're at the point where you're running out of room in the free garages then you'd probably get your money's worth of dropping 5-10 bux on the game and buying a week/month of premium and a few garage slots.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I still love this game but I've been getting a persistent error after T10 matches that is killing my will to do anything other than dick around with my lower tier artbots. It's something like Error Loading CPU etc. The worst part is the error seems to prevent match rewards from being given out much of the time. I'm really hoping the next patch fixes it, because I'm never going to get to megabots if I can't get any T10 tech points.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've been messing with rotor bots. So far they seem pretty bad. They are definitely able to hover holding still at altitude...but that's basically just asking to get blown up by rail tanks/plasma bombers. Hovers and flyers are both way more agile and controllable, and hovers especially are far easier to build around. You can use thrusters with rotors but it tends to make things pretty unstable unless you also add rudders...which then really slows down your ability to turn at speed...unless you go whole hog and basically build it like a regular flyer. They don't seem to combo that well with wheels or other ground based stuff either. I'm sure people will figure out uses for them, but until then enjoy all the easy rotor bot kills.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's definitely more lag and rubberbanding is pretty frequent. Not sure if their servers are just overloaded or if it's a new netcode issue.

The SMG changes and Megabots means every T10 fight is pretty much a mob slugfest rallying around the megabot. I like it, teams seem more into sticking together and teamwork around a megabot really pays off.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you put some low tier hovers on them, preferably around the base block (they'll fit, at least some tiers) a lot of those problems are reduced. A single rotor copter is viable with hover application.

Still awful agility and hilariously easy to shoot down with pretty much any weapon but a nano. I am having a blast zipping around in my hover SMG shooting medic and plasma rotors out of the sky and then going to murder their friends while they squirm around on the ground.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's mostly good to use when you're capping as a victory dance. That strobing/pulsing light effect is pretty much a HEY IM HELPLESS SHOOT ME BEFORE I GET UP AND DO SOMETHING USEFUL sign.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Slowly working my way up to mega-ness. I've got a T10 medic, SMG, and plasma now to switch around and grind with. All are pretty fun to play and I've got enough CPU now that I'm slowly switching my lower CPU use bots over to TX-1 cubes from T10. The increased armor is nice but mostly I like it because I can make all my hovers lighter! Still don't have enough levels/CPU to be worth throwing any other mega parts on yet but at least by the time I unlock seats I won't be one of these people with a megabot made out of garbage armor.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I had the weird orbital launch thing happen when my walker bot was getting healed last night - I thought that glitch had been fixed a while ago. I launched halfway across the drat map, but luckily was healed enough that I was able to get going again and not be stranded.
I keep getting loaded clipped into another bot since the latest patch. I mostly fly hovers so I tend to get tossed up in the air a bit, but a few times it has been while I'm on top of a walker and multiple times I've seen them go flying way the gently caress far away.
That is quite the poo poo brick ya got there. You're like a mini megabot already.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
In case anyone missed it, there's a free 1 day premium code: MEGABOTS-607024

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

ianmacdo posted:

doing some mega farming right now.... All these people with garbage tier armour megabots
Easy to make the big loot right now.
Yeah even if you are still rolling in T10 the megabots tend to make matches last longer with more damage inflicted/healed so it's happy grind time for all at the moment. Matchmaking could use some work for all the times a team gets stuck with the megabot with 300 tier 7 armor cubes and 2 megaSMGs against one with 1000+ T10/TX-1 cubes, a truckload of megashields, and 8 megaSMGs, but overall I still like this way better.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I made this thing since the T10 queue has been clogged. I had a better looking version with colored blocks and headlights but this one can actually queue in T2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvJ3UMrbq78

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 21, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I crammed 8 T2 hovers inside the saucer. In a match I tend to lose the nacelles and regular hull pretty fast so then I pretend it's the TNG Enterprise and we did a saucer separation.

EDIT: Totally going to rebuild it with TX-1 block and make it a T10!

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 21, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
So I've loved SMG bots forever, but I'm starting to become a plasma convert. You can do so much more damage without exposing yourself and it really lends itself to the kind of skirmishing combat that is no longer as good with SMGs due to the range penalty on damage.

A super maneuverable hover bot with stacked shields combines so well with plasma, especially with how stationary people are in most T10 fights now. You just pop out, blap, duck back into the medic ball to heal that 2% damage you might have taken and wait for your guns to recharge before doing it again. Or, zip up a hill and rain goop from above while people ignore you and try to shoot the mega. It's pretty lazy but it works at least 2/3 matches.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's so many good things about that video, but the combination of the title, TEAM DEFEATED, and the chicken literally running around with it's head cut (blown) off is what really did it for me.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
OK, lots of people have worthy complaints about lovely megabots, but this made me laugh pretty hard:

No guns, just a big sign.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 23, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I mean, it's a cool idea, but I see two obvious problems.

1. It's really easy for an SMG anything to blow you out of the sky with one hit. What happens then? Are you done? If not, then there's seemingly no risk involved.

2. Thrustersticks can do this already.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

I'm really disappointed by the current melee weapons. Strike once and you need to get repaired. Sure it does a shitton of damage at once, but I'd prefer to have something like a drill or blade that just does continuous damage.

You can sorta do this if you platoon as medics with teslas. It's a nice way to finish off hurt dudes while you're healballing your pals or get a last ditch kill if your team is losing.

I finally got level 100 today and also saved enough RP and cubes for a decent mega. I stripped my shitbrick hover SMG for armor cubes and made a mega with 6 SMGs, 3 flat plates and 4 curved plates, and 4 turning wheels along with ~1200 T10/T11 blocks. It's been enough to win about 75% of my matches. I tried before with only 4 SMGs and ~600 blocks and it did not go well, I just melted and ran out of guns too fast. I've since added another pair of wheels and also unlocked the new bay so I can make it bigger. Here's before and after shots of the new bay:

Old bay: looks absolutely huge - I had about 6 cubes of clearance total front to back and maybe 16-20 side to side.

New bay: oh hey there little guy!

And yes, having to basically wipe it out once I've got enough cash to make it REALLY big is pretty drat annoying. I can't believe they didn't keep the center of the bay constant when upgrading.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The best is when they flip you while doing it and you die due to having your rear end up in the air.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
One of the nicer things about having 1 megabot in most T10 fights is that they provide the team with an obvious and slow moving focus. Even tank tread vehicles can keep up with a mega most of the time. When I play my art bots in lower tiers it amazes me how most people just scatter to wherever they want to go and then do all the stuff you guys just mentioned like getting in a 1v3+ and then crying for a medic etc.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yep, plasma hoversticks are really popular and effective in T10. 4 T10 shields, a few lower tier hovers at the ends and sides, 6-8 T10 plasmas, and the 30-50 armor blocks to stick stuff together. They're fragile if you get targeted but most (stupid) people seem to ignore poo poo that isn't actively attacking them so they work really well in the mega-melee.

Which leads to the biggest secret to winning in Robocraft - do a calculation as to what is doing the most damage vs. how fast can you neutralize it. Then proceed to shoot the poo poo out of it. If it's something that might get healed back up quickly by medics then take the time to kill it completely or disable it away from help. Otherwise, move on to the next thing that's still shooting. Yeah, you might miss a few kills but you get more RP for winning than for losing with 2 extra kills.

Thor-Stryker posted:

However, I haven't see the quad T11-SMG bots since the 100-kills patch, which is surprising given the DPS bump it got.
There's quite a few people running HWP: one T11 SMG with a bunch of lower tier ones stuck behind armor. It's an abuse of the firing sequence mechanics but not an exploit. Basically it has the T11 gun shoot every single cycle instead of the lower tier guns so you get a tiny hoverstick that has the damage output of a megabot. The firing sequence mechanics are getting fixed so that this won't work any longer, but who knows when that will happen. People who platoon with 2+ of them and wolfpack around are seriously dangerous.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 25, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fallout posted:

This is going to require lots, like 400 or more prism bricks. Should I splurge on T8 prisms, or do people skip tiers of armor? I've seen a lot of blue out there, but not much pink and yellow.

You should keep up on armor to some degree - sticking with your current tier-2 or better is a good rule of thumb, but you can certainly still be on the winning team with garbage armor. Plasma and rail bots tend to work better with junk armor as they tend to get shot at later in the match than SMGs.

I personally had several tiers were I ended up having a lot of RP floating around while I was still waiting on earning TP, so I tended to bone up on armor cubes with the extra money while I was waiting to finish unlocking some essentials for moving up. One of those happened to be T8. On the other hand, I have never bought a single T9 cube because the glut of T8 blocks sustained me all the way into T10 play.

Ambaire posted:

I call this 'Small Test Mega 1 Gun'. It's great for lulling the enemy team into a false sense of security until the 9 guns tear them apart. Fun fact: It is exactly 1 block shorter and as wide as the megabay. I have to be careful what map routes I take or I can get stuck.
Haha, troll name is awesome. I am trying to avoid making a mega that wide for the same reasons - collision with walls and teammates is a bitch. Plus I have got 8 guns on my narrower-than-original-bay-width mega right now (4 top, 2 sides, 2 front).

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Has any T10 goons been able to win any challenge games yet? No matter what I do with my main bot now it always gets queued with tier 7s and I always lose.
I've only played maybe 3 of them. They take too long to queue for and yes, I've lost badly every time even the one time I had a decent composition and non-stupid teammates - and that was largely because the other people had too-fragile bots for that mode. Everyone really has to have a pretty tanky build while still having mobility at that level because you will get a lot of skirmishing plasmas or rail snipers that will rip you apart if you are sitting still or fragile. I would play it more - I actually don't mind losing - but I hate waiting minutes for a match when there's normal, winnable matches to be had in a sub 10s queue.

On the other hand, if you queue challenge mode in T6 or whatever and get to fight T2s you can just clean everyone up handily. They will need to work on balancing damage/armor/shield progression across tiers if they really want it to be 4v12 at all tiers, but it would be easier to just change the team numbers a bit.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Edit: Here are the shots of my current megabot - I went with 7 guns and lotsa electroplates:
I do like this kind of design better, but you should throw two more guns on there up front! Sneak some armor cubes out from under that front set of shields and put them perpendicular pointing straight at the floor. They won't block the field of fire from your other guns and, while they will be the first two to go most of the time, it's more of your total armor going to guns which is good when you're getting healed. There's definitely a balance between having a massive indestructible shitbrick of a mega and one that is a glass cannon - you want your guns to be what pops up when you get healed rather than a bunch of extraneous bricks/shields, but you also don't want to just melt when you are in the process of pulling back after losing all your guns in a teamfight.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 26, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Denzine posted:

2) Nudge tool allowing you to nudge your entire robot around in the mothership.
OMG FINALLY. Next patch though, meh!

Sad that bot collision physics fixes aren't anywhere on there but they're supposedly in the works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I feel the same way. As someone who dabbled in minecraft and enjoyed both WoT and MWO beyond what either game was actually worth, this game is hitting so many sweet spots.

Here's what I have found to be the optimal T10 grinding bot outside of playing a mega:

8 T10 plasma, 6 teslas, 4 T10 shields (2 sets of 2 end to end stacked on top of each other), 6 assorted hovers, 4 T4ish thrusters, and a mix of roughly 140 T10/11 armor cubes to connect that poo poo up. You can do mad damage in a mega mob popping in and out to drop plasma, you can finish downed bots quickly with teslas, and you can eat SMG and rail damage with those stacked shields like a boss. Plasma barrages will gently caress you up but thankfully you can dodge pretty much anything you see coming at you, just beware of bombers that are smart enough not to just target your mega.

• Locked thread