Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Big enough news for it's own thread and because it could easily just have the conversation spread across every Marvel thread.

Often teased and never followed up on. Marvel have announced that they will be destroying all their existing universes and combining them together going forward. In short no more Ultimate Universe, old 616 is gone and everything is a new mish-mash of whatever Marvel wants to keep around (so long Fantastic Four, more people are Inhumans and so on).

quote:

Brevoort recapped the current "Avengers" storyline, "a series of intersections between universes. Situations where two parallel universes intersect at a given point." Such intersections are called "incursions" -- "two Earths go in, one comes out. Or none of them come out."

"Having become aware of this, the Black Panther reformed the Illuminati," Brevoort continued, though the group has not yet figured out how to deal with the problem.

Alonso prepared to drop the "big bomb": "The Ultimate Universe, the Marvel Universe, they're going to slap together. Imagine two pizzas: They're going to combine toppings, some toppings are going to drop off. And that is the Marvel Universe moving forward. It's more than the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe, it's all the universes you can imagine. That is the Marvel Universe going forward."

The final issues of "Avengers" and "New Avengers" will build up to this incursion, but "Secret Wars" #1 will contain the main action of this event "The heroes of those two worlds will have eight hours to figure out what to do about it before both universes are destroyed," Brevoort said. "And they won't. I've ruined 'Secret Wars' #1 for you!"

The previously revealed "Battleworld" is the "melting world from which the new Marvel Universe will be fermented," Brevoort said, calling it the "detritus" from the resulted combined Marvel Universe. "Various characters will live their lives, and contend with this new situation, and set up all the building blocks and the bedrock of what the new Marvel Universe will be going forward."

"There will be conflicts and fighting," Alonso added. "Imagine that."

"Once you hit 'Secret Wars' #1, there's no Marvel Universe, there's no Ultimate Universe," Brevoort said. "It's all Battleworld." "None of these stories are What Ifs are alternate reality stories," Alonso said. "And they will have legs. They will impart new things into the Marvel Universe going forward."

All of the previously revealed Battleworld teasers represent parts of the new Marvel Universe, and are described as only the "tip of the iceberg." Several "Secret Wars"-related announcements are planned over the next two weeks.

"If you're an 'Amazing Spider-Man' reader, this is going to be your book," Alonso said, pointing to the teaser of a married Peter Parker and Mary Jane with a child.

The presentation that cut to the previously released "Battleworld" teaser video, showing the series of teaser images combining into the new Battleworld landscape. "We haven't even announced half the titles," D'Lando said of the "Secret Wars" tie-ins. An interactive map of Battleworld will be released later today on Marvel.com.

Talk turns to the "Secret Wars" Free Comic Book Day release. "It's a little bit of a primer," Brevoort said. "You'll get caught up to speed where everything is in the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe going into 'Secret Wars.'" Also, the issue will include the Marvel/Attack on Titan crossover, previously only published in Japan.

The cover to "Secret Wars" #2, illustrated by Alex Ross, is revealed. "There's a whole lot of Thor going on," Brevoort said of the image.

"Secret Wars" #2 will also ship in May. "In sort of an odd twist, the second issue is the fat one. It's a gargantuan, oversized issue. It will give a full guided tour of the new Battleworld, and set up everything you need to know. Esad Ribic just turned in the last pages for it earlier today. Stunningly beautiful work by Esad."

Speaking of the legacy of the story, Alonso said, "This is putting an endcap to decades of stories, and starting a new era. When you see the scope of the stories, you'll see what we're willing to do. If we wanted to resurrect Gwen Stacy, this would be the place to do it, wouldn't it? If you ever wondered what would happen if you take the 'Age of Ultron' universe and perch it next to the 'Marvel Zombies' universe, this would be the place to do it." Alonso said he thinks "Secret Wars" will be a great jumping-on point for new fans.

Hasbro, Mighty Fine, Mad Engine, Funko and Hot Wheels are named as licensors working on "Secret Wars" merchandise. Marvel's game division is also at work on interactive tie-ins.

"We tell our own stories," Alonso said, of the belief that Marvel publishing follows the lead of Marvel Studios. "You'll be shocked at the chances we're willing to take."

source

Discuss how this is the best/worst thing to ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So at the end, I imagine it's a way to keep the characters they want around and to set them as they want them. But it also might be a way to have two of the same characters with in-continuity stories that both matter, like a married Spider-Man with a kid, and a single Spider-Man, and also have Miles running around.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I don't think this is actually going to have a drastic effect on most books' status quo going forward, even if
Marvel wants you to think otherwise.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
People who think a reboot is on the table must not have been paying attention to the Inhumans ongoing launching one month before this.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

As long as Ms. Marvel does not get hosed with, dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn care

I find the very concept of getting rid of the multiverse dumb; arbitrary limits are dumb, massive retcons are useless. Infinite worlds own, Exiles for life :cool:
Of course it is Marvel, so they are going with brand synergy approach, it won't be a mess of Nu52 where the new poo poo does not connect with the previous continuity or the unified cross-media perception.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I think Ms. Marvel or anyone with a film coming out (Inhumans) is pretty safe to stay close enough to what they are.

Barry Convex posted:

People who think a reboot is on the table must not have been paying attention to the Inhumans ongoing launching one month before this.

Secret Wars is still ongoing for another year though, 12 or so issues is plenty of time for another fresh #1.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So they are getting rid of/merging the entire Marvel multiverse, ie 616/ 1610/ 92131/ 199999 etc., or just select ones? I have to wonder what the reason for this is. Its not like there was any big confusion about which universe was which like you may have with DC. Though like many have said this may be Disney suits issuing orders from upon high that anything they (Marvel/Disney) do not have the film/TV rights to has got to go.

Or is this Battleworld made out of the "toppings that fell off" and other universes will still go on albeit with possibly multiple versions of a character running around?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, I can't see them getting rid of new popular stuff like Spider-Gwen or Ms Marvel or Miles.

I think this is being done to align characters to the MCU, or to their most iconic versions.

For example the Spider-Man book might restore the Peter/MJ marriage, X-Men 92 could dial back things like vampire Jubilee, dead Wolverine and Cyclops' heel turn. Ultimate Samuel L Jackson will likely end up as the one true Fury.

Fantastic 4 is up in the air. They likely won't be having a book in the new universe but would they replace Reed with the evil ultimate version? Maybe!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
What I learned from this is that Spider-Gwen is the only book to care about because it isn't either in 616 or 1610. I'm fine with that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All the remaining universes will be Battleworld. Like, there's no 616 or Ultimate, they're all one big universe now.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

MH Knights posted:

So they are getting rid of/merging the entire Marvel multiverse, ie 616/ 1610/ 92131/ 199999 etc., or just select ones? I have to wonder what the reason for this is. Its not like there was any big confusion about which universe was which like you may have with DC. Though like many have said this may be Disney suits issuing orders from upon high that anything they (Marvel/Disney) do not have the film/TV rights to has got to go.

Or is this Battleworld made out of the "toppings that fell off" and other universes will still go on albeit with possibly multiple versions of a character running around?

All the other worlds are being destroyed (most already have) in Avengers/New Avengers/Spider-Verse. It's being billed that going forward there will be just one and other things will be saved. Rather than having multiple versions of characters i'd say they'll just have one of each to be the new "definitive" version.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like this:

quote:

Alonso said he thinks "Secret Wars" will be a great jumping-on point for new fans.
:allears:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

I think Ms. Marvel or anyone with a film coming out (Inhumans) is pretty safe to stay close enough to what they are.

Secret Wars is still ongoing for another year though, 12 or so issues is plenty of time for another fresh #1.

It's 8 issues, and I believe they're coming out over 4 or so months.

Agreed that calling this a "reboot" seems ridiculously premature.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So this could end up with Ultimate (aka Movie) Tony Stark's in 616 hanging out with the Avengers in NYC while Superior Tony continues to be a glorious dick in San Fran? That's kinda neat and if Gwen's on-going doesn't get affected beyond a text square saying "616 - NYC #4" then it'll all be fine.

What are the odds that married Peter is written by someone other than Slott?

And I'm gonna guess the All-New All-Different Avengers are gonna be a bunch of pieces of avengers teams from around the multiverse put together into one team?

Crap, now I'm actually getting excited because maybe Wolverine does stay dead and Saturday Morning Cartoon Wolverine will have to take his place.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Not sure how people like Miles and Spider-Gwen are supposed to work in a new combined universe, since their backstories are pretty unique to Spider-man not being around. They can functionally work, but it takes something away from their characters.

Consider me wary on how this will work out. I liked the "mashing their toys together" thing in theory, as far as Marvel utilizing all their current and abandoned comic lines in some Crisis-esque melee, but pulling a DC afterwards removes some of the fun and uniqueness Marvel had going for decades.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

FoneBone posted:

It's 8 issues, and I believe they're coming out over 4 or so months.

Agreed that calling this a "reboot" seems ridiculously premature.

If it's not rebooting then what is it? It seems to be the nu52 way of all this stuff is all new and this more popular stuff we care about is the exact same just taking place over a shorter period.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Marvel is using some tricky wording, so I don't blame so many people for falling for it, but:

The premise of SW is that everything in the multiverse but Battleworld has ceased to exist. Thus, "this is the Marvel U going forward."

Clearly, the post-SW status quo is not going to be Battleworld, and I feel pretty comfortable in predicting that it'll be much closer to current 616 continuity than Marvel wants you to believe.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Crap, now I'm actually getting excited because maybe Wolverine does stay dead and Saturday Morning Cartoon Wolverine will have to take his place.

I hope this happens, and cartoon Wolverine only ever punches people. He only uses his claws on metal objects.

I don't even really believe Battleworld will be around after Secret Wars. I think they'll restart the multiverse, but you'll see things Marvel wants to keep as "this story matters!" in their main continuity.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My uncle who works for Marvel has confirm to me that the mastermind behind the events leading up to this will be revealed to be ROM the Space Knight and this whole event is actually design to bring ROM to the forefront and become the face of new Marvel.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

If it's not rebooting then what is it? It seems to be the nu52 way of all this stuff is all new and this more popular stuff we care about is the exact same just taking place over a shorter period.

What I expect it will amount to is just inserting a bunch of multiverse characters and concepts into 616. MAYBE we'll see some characters' origins altered, though that still seems to be speculation, but I expect that most books' status quos will be largely unaffected.

And again, they don't look to even be renumbering, let alone rebooting.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is there a compilation of all those battleworld teasers from before the Secret Wars announcement?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Barry Convex posted:

Marvel is using some tricky wording, so I don't blame so many people for falling for it, but:

The premise of SW is that everything in the multiverse but Battleworld has ceased to exist. Thus, "this is the Marvel U going forward."

Clearly, the post-SW status quo is not going to be Battleworld, and I feel pretty comfortable in predicting that it'll be much closer to current 616 continuity than Marvel wants you to believe.

To be clear the last part is exactly what I expect things to be. Just 616 with Miles and Sam Jackson coming over from the Ultimates, Inhumans more integrated, Fantastic Four decreased importance, Avengers more similar to MCU and say like maybe Daredevil regiven his secret identity to match the show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope this happens, and cartoon Wolverine only ever punches people. He only uses his claws on metal objects.

I don't even really believe Battleworld will be around after Secret Wars. I think they'll restart the multiverse, but you'll see things Marvel wants to keep as "this story matters!" in their main continuity.

Cartoon Wolverine is just bewildered by the language some people use and gets excited that he's allowed to drink beer.

But yeah, probably just some characters added here and there, every now and then they use Marvel Zombies country as a stand-in for the Savage Lands to finally give 'em a rest.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

To be clear the last part is exactly what I expect things to be. Just 616 with Miles and Sam Jackson coming over from the Ultimates, Inhumans more integrated, Fantastic Four decreased importance, Avengers more similar to MCU and say like maybe Daredevil regiven his secret identity to match the show.

That's not too unreasonable. But if they were altering history to give Inhumans a bigger role, I'm pretty sure they'd put Uncanny Inhumans on hold until after SW.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Barry Convex posted:

That's not too unreasonable. But if they were altering history to give Inhumans a bigger role, I'm pretty sure they'd put Uncanny Inhumans on hold until after SW.

Yeah that makes sense too. The Inhumans relaunch just seems to have been handled so ineptly that I wouldn't really be surprised if they rebooted or relaunched or whatever with 8 issues or that however unlikely it'd be.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wait didn't they post that map of Battleworld with all sorts of weird geography changes? If it's just going to be the same drat world with Ultimate characters in it, then whatever who cares that's not really a reboot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think Battleworld is just supposed to be a transitional thing and that after Secret Wars is over it'll settle down to normal geography.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So this could end up with Ultimate (aka Movie) Tony Stark's in 616 hanging out with the Avengers in NYC while Superior Tony continues to be a glorious dick in San Fran? That's kinda neat and if Gwen's on-going doesn't get affected beyond a text square saying "616 - NYC #4" then it'll all be fine.

What are the odds that married Peter is written by someone other than Slott?

And I'm gonna guess the All-New All-Different Avengers are gonna be a bunch of pieces of avengers teams from around the multiverse put together into one team?

I really doubt we'll see multiple versions of the same character and by that I don't mean different Spider-Mans like Gwen or Miles but multiple Tony Starks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Battleworld is the melting pot. The new Marvel Universe will be the finished soup after it cooks.

Waterhaul is probably spot on. I'm really excited about this. No risk, no reward. Marvel has been on fire lately, so I don't see them New 52ing flat on their face.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

Waterhaul is probably spot on. I'm really excited about this. No risk, no reward. Marvel has been on fire lately, so I don't see them New 52ing flat on their face.
This also has the advantage of not being hammered out over a weekend with their jobs on the line.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like an interesting idea. I'll be interested to see where they go.

I imagine this'll be how they integrate Miracleman into the mainstream MU, if that's even part of their plans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm all for the multiple versions of the same character running around during SW but if this ends with multiple Peter Parkers running around the new Marvel Universe I won't be a fan of that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'm all for the multiple versions of the same character running around during SW but if this ends with multiple Peter Parkers running around the new Marvel Universe I won't be a fan of that.

Way more likely to end up with a huge-rear end Spider-Family, with Spider-Woman (Drew), Spider-Woman (Gwen), Silk, Ultimate Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Girl (Anya), Spider-Girl (Mayday - shutupicandream), Scarlet Spider and... I dunno... Rocket Racer.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You forgot Spider-Ham and the Spider-Buggy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I remember reading in one of the millions of speculation articles that "editorial hates the 616 designation," is that true?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I was down for this on Hickman/Ribic alone, but I'm really digging the idea of a selective reboot. Spring-cleaning of superfluous or convoluted characters and problem IPs (there's no way the FF survive this) and a general stream-lining of canon to incorporate popular stuff from other continuities and return certain properties to the status quo. Can't wait to see Hickman writing rear end in a top hat Tony from Civil War and Crisis on Infinite Thors. :allears:

I'm really excited!

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

IUG posted:

You forgot Spider-Ham and the Spider-Buggy.

Then we should also have Supaidāman and Leopardon. Maybe the '79 live action Spider-Man can be the cranky old neighbor.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Why is everyone so quick to completely write off FF in a Hickman penned event?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MH Knights posted:

Then we should also have Supaidāman and Leopardon. Maybe the '79 live action Spider-Man can be the cranky old neighbor.

Half the Spider-family crashes on the Parker's couch and the other half lives with Supaidaman in his Leopardon that's parked on the front yard. :allears:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Senor Candle posted:

Why is everyone so quick to completely write off FF in a Hickman penned event?

Because Marvel is apparently trying to reduce emphasis on properties to which they don't have the film rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Half the Spider-family crashes on the Parker's couch and the other half lives with Supaidaman in his Leopardon that's parked on the front yard. :allears:

And we have wacky hijinks with MJ constantly complaining that he deliberately parks that thing in front of her car so she can't get out of the drive, and Spider-Ham gets mad that little Mayday keeps pulling his tail.

• Locked thread