Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everyone is talking about no more F4 but I loving love the F4 and I don't want them to go :smith: . I'd love to keep them as they are now with Reed and Susan heavily ingrained on the Avengers and SHIELD story lines so that any story involving them would be untouchable by Fox or whoever owns them.

The Fantastic Four is one of the most astoundingly brilliant concepts in the history of comics that all of 4 people have written well. They'll be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
INT. Axel Alonso and Dan Didio step on stage. Music begins playing

Anything you can print
I can print worse.
I can print worse
Event comics than you.

D: No, you can't.
A: Yes, I can.
D: No, you can't. furiously begin mashing toys together
A: Yes I can Yes I can!

Any reboot you can do,
I can do better.
I can reboot anything
Better than you.

A: Yes, I c--
D: NO YOU CAN'T AXEL IT DOESN'T WORK. It just doesn't work (weeps on ground)
Alonso: Yes, I can, Yes, I can!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Arguing about SW ramifications aside: holy poo poo, this cover.

Yes, Alex Ross actually painted a Thor who appeared in one panel of an Ultraverse/Avengers crossover from 1995 (it's Christian Priest Thor on the far right).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

I hope one of them survives as the one true version and we just have baby Hawkeye on the Avengers moving forward.

The Avengers include 90's cartoon Wolverine, baby Captain America, and Throg.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume the end result of this is basically going to be "It's the 616 but closer to the Marvel Movie Universe and also Miles is there."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Nobody has said Battlword is going to be the Universe going forward. Whatever the result of Battleworld is will be. Nobody expects there to be a Marvel Universe where Marvel Zombies are just chilling out in the southern hemisphere and the North Pole is ruled by Hulks.

That sounds cool as hell though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Yes, but that's because they're both selling like poo poo. So is FF. Not everything is a big conspiracy.

I know (I'm even subscribed to those two issues). I was just responding to someone else saying X-Men stuff was being canceled off.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Deadpool posted:

Nobody has said Battlword is going to be the Universe going forward. Whatever the result of Battleworld is will be. Nobody expects there to be a Marvel Universe where Marvel Zombies are just chilling out in the southern hemisphere and the North Pole is ruled by Hulks.

Hm. So I clearly misunderstood. OH WELL.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe I spoke too soon as well. If they can do this without the clusterfucks that DC ended up with I'm game.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA7S5S4yERc

That's it. I'm done.

*walks down some stairs, door slams*

When you're doing gigantic reworkings not because they sell somewhat better, not because you're chasing the new fans that don't exist and won't ever exist, but when you are primarily because of company pissing contests, I am done giving you money.

Okay, maybe I'm overreacting. But as people have said, this just seems so CYNICAL. 'Oh we don't have X rights, get rid of them. Oh, everyone knows Jackson's Fury better, let's just make him Absolute Fury.' Comics have enough problems, but when they're happening because of movie rights I just...I just feel I have no reason to care, you know?

I just find it hard to put into words why this BUGS me so much.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's ok. It's comics. Whacky stuff happens all the time. Let's step back and get some perspective.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cornwind Evil posted:

, not because you're chasing the new fans that don't exist and won't ever exist,

If new comic fans don't exist and won't ever exist then they may as well shut down right now because comics aren't at a sustainable level. The movie/game/television public is way, way, way more important to Marvel than comic fans are these days.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

Yeah.

That's it. I'm done.

When you're doing gigantic reworkings not because they sell somewhat better, not because you're chasing the new fans that don't exist and won't ever exist, but when you are primarily because of company pissing contests, I am done giving you money.

Okay, maybe I'm overreacting. But as people have said, this just seems so CYNICAL. 'Oh we don't have X rights, get rid of them. Oh, everyone knows Jackson's Fury better, let's just make him Absolute Fury.' Comics have enough problems, but when they're happening because of movie rights I just...I just feel I have no reason to care, you know?

Where has it said anywhere that that is what's going to happen? People are wildly speculating, but in fact there are a lot of x-men territories in battle world, and nowhere have they been like "this summer, secret wars, where we get rid of the xmen and fantastic four forever!" All we know is they're gonna mash a bunch of universes together, everyone is just assuming it's going to come out of the wash like the movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

Yeah.

That's it. I'm done.

It's probably more to bring the comics more into line with their billion dollar movie franchise. Make Samuel L Nick Fury official Nick Fury, and so on.

Also no way they drop X Men, they haven't even brought Wolverine back to life yet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is Hickman writing it, too. He's earned the right to have people put faith in him.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

Yes, Alex Ross actually painted a Thor who appeared in one panel of an Ultraverse/Avengers crossover from 1995 (it's Christian Priest Thor on the far right).

He actually painted two Thor's from the Ultraverse/Avengers crossover, the one from the weird merged timeline is on there too. He also snuck in the Golden Age Thor from Fox Feature Syndicate in the very back (the one with a blue cape).

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

This tells me that in all of the multiverse there is only one Beta Ray Bill.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

I don't see Thorion of the New Asgods anywhere in there :toughguy:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I like the idea of doing a reboot where the characters being rebooted are aware of the clusterfuck they're in. I'd just prefer someone else do it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EDIT: Incursion post

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't get why people are saying this is going to make Samuel L. Jackson the one Nick Fury or whatever if that already basically happened? White Fury is old and stuck on the moon staring at people while Sam Jackson's basically under Maria Hill waiting for a promotion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I don't get why people are saying this is going to make Samuel L. Jackson the one Nick Fury or whatever if that already basically happened? White Fury is old and stuck on the moon staring at people while Sam Jackson's basically under Maria Hill waiting for a promotion.

People at Marvel cannot be satisfied with the way they made movie Nick Fury "official" Nick Fury in the comics because it is dumb and confusing as hell.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Horrible Taste posted:

He actually painted two Thor's from the Ultraverse/Avengers crossover, the one from the weird merged timeline is on there too. He also snuck in the Golden Age Thor from Fox Feature Syndicate in the very back (the one with a blue cape).

You have well and truly outnerded me, sir. I salute you. Who's the one in the background that looks sorta like a second Beta Ray Bill?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

People at Marvel cannot be satisfied with the way they made movie Nick Fury "official" Nick Fury in the comics because it is dumb and confusing as hell.

What will Marvel do if Sam Jackson dies suddenly in the next year?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rhyno posted:

David Hasselhoff's long con will finally pay back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Reverse Crisis on Just the One World.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

zoux posted:

Also no way they drop X Men, they haven't even brought Wolverine back to life yet.
It would be pretty cool if their 'out' for killing Wolverine was planned to be this event the whole time so there's no idiot demon deal resurrections or anything like that, just "we got all these Logans from the multiverse jamming together and we get to keep one when it's over".

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

You have well and truly outnerded me, sir. I salute you. Who's the one in the background that looks sorta like a second Beta Ray Bill?

It's either an alternate Bill or Ross' take on the Cow Thor from a variant cover to the Skrull Kill Krew mini a few years ago. It's one of three I'm not certain about along with the red costume Thor and the bearded one next to him.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

I assume the end result of this is basically going to be "It's the 616 but closer to the Marvel Movie Universe and also Miles is there."
Correct.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ImpAtom posted:

I'm expecting similar things.

I just wish we didn't need to have a giant "nothing will ever be the same" event pretending otherwise.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

ImpAtom posted:

If new comic fans don't exist and won't ever exist then they may as well shut down right now because comics aren't at a sustainable level. The movie/game/television public is way, way, way more important to Marvel than comic fans are these days.

Unless the reboot makes the Avengers the literal MCU Avengers (same continuity and all) none of those people want to or will ever read a comic. Not that it isn't worth trying to expand but the nu52 was also a way to get new fans and boost comic sales. This is no doubt the same, corperate mandate of get rid of certain things and make other things important.

irlZaphod posted:

I like how Alonso is saying it'll be a great jumping on point for new readers, when it sounds like the biggest clusterfuck ever. I guess he means that the post-SW status quo will be, but still...

Yes, but that's because they're both selling like poo poo. So is FF. Not everything is a big conspiracy.

Fantastic Four even at it's current shittiness sells better than say Captain Marvel, Punisher, Black Widow or Deathlok and Inhuman is barely ahead of them in sales. Nothing a fresh creative team wouldn't over take anyway.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

:stare: He even put Paradise X Thor/Loki on the drat cover holy poo poo. Now I want them all to have an All Black The Necrosword known also as The Annihiblade.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jiro posted:

:stare: He even put Paradise X Thor/Loki on the drat cover holy poo poo. Now I want them all to have an All Black The Necrosword known also as The Annihiblade.

"I was a female Thor before it was cool" :smug:

Thinking about it, I actually kiiiinda look forward to BATTLEWORLD because I enjoyed what I've seen of Spider-Verse - funny interactions with obscure and new spider-people. The main thing is inevitably going to be insufferable design charts-heavy Hickman bullshit saved by decent art (finally), but I expect that a lot of people would like to have fun in a giant sandbox.

Just wait for David Cross and Maria Bamford to become the new, ultimate and final The Thing and Invisible Woman.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

Hire Lawrence Fishburn.

I'm cautionary optimistic about it. It doesn't sound like the ill-fated stuff DC did. People seem to remember their past, the past isn't reset. It sounds like "616, but we want to change some things around and change some people", which doesn't sound too terrible.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 21, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

Where's Adventures in Babysitting Thor?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 21, 2015

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Well this seems dumb as gently caress. Can't wait for some cool characters to get dropped because an editor can't handle Eddie Brock not being Venom or whatever.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I am seriously amazed how pumped I am for this especially when compared to how down I was about the nu52. I'm guessing the difference comes down to this being actually planned and Hickman heading it.

Not looking forward to the 616 titles a month Marvel will be publishing, though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Waterhaul posted:

Unless the reboot makes the Avengers the literal MCU Avengers (same continuity and all) none of those people want to or will ever read a comic.

We'll never know if that's true or not because they are too in bed with Diamond and emotionally attached to the comic book shop nostalgia to fully commit to digital distribution in a world where paying for a physical copy of reading materials is a novelty up their with buying vinyl lps.

To car analogy it, "The engine sized up, I know I'll paint the car!"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

SirDan3k posted:

We'll never know if that's true or not because they are too in bed with Diamond and emotionally attached to the comic book shop nostalgia to fully commit to digital distribution in a world where paying for a physical copy of reading materials is a novelty up their with buying vinyl lps.

To car analogy it, "The engine sized up, I know I'll paint the car!"

Maybe? though I still don't think thousands more people would buy comics if they were a dollar each and available on every digital platform or supermarket shelves or whatever.

Marvel aren't changing anything with regards to shipping or pricing or digital with this release anyway so it's a theoretical that isn't going to be explored with this reboot/relaunch/rebrand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Yeah.

That's it. I'm done.

Nothing they've done or said indicates they're killing the Fantastic Four or the X-men. They don't own the rights to Spider-man either, yet Spidey (and the X-men) have Secret Wars tie-ins.

They also haven't mentioned the movies at all, just 616 and Ultimate merging. I'm a little lukewarm on the idea, but it's strange seeing most people rejecting it outright for things that aren't even confirmed or hinted to be happening.

• Locked thread