Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
Man, John Luke is way better at this than the Cabela dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

It is shameful for a demon to be working

Mr. Maggy posted:

Oh come on, the guy from Cabela's would have been dealing with an entire duck armoured division with full hippo support by now, not pratting around shooting bottles.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
All of John Luke's featured relatives are still alive.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Mr. Maggy posted:

For now. I'm hoping for some Man vs. Wild style duck or beaver fighting.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Maggy posted:

John Luke isn't blinded by his hunter vision.

Notm
Dec 30, 2012

The one Australian guy
We're one episode in and I'm already wondering how Redneck this game can get.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Christ, that popin during the boating segments. Also I laughed pretty hard at the fill in subtitles for one of the last duck calls.

So how's that AC ripoff of the 3DS game, has anybody played that too? Really kind of surprised they bothered to release a 3DS game instead of a mobile one where most of the shovelware is now.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Sundance Shot posted:

John Luke isn't blinded by his hunter vision.

I know this isn't at all what you meant, but for some reason this brings to my mind that the rest of the Duck Dynasty cast perceive everything in creepy, Predatoresque vision/sound so they can better hunt things. :downs:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Every time I walk into a Walmart I'm bombarded by Duck Dynasty Merchandise in every department.

Children's clothing

Office Supplies

Beauty

Non Americas might not understand this but this poo poo is powerful. I can't escape from it, I know their are at least 3 Duck Dynasty merchandise in my household.
Sometimes I have nightmares wondering what happens when the Duckmen fall and Walmart chooses it's new merchandising idols.

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

It is shameful for a demon to be working

Mr. Soop posted:

I know this isn't at all what you meant, but for some reason this brings to my mind that the rest of the Duck Dynasty cast perceive everything in creepy, Predatoresque vision/sound so they can better hunt things. :downs:

I looked in the game files using a photograph of a computer and I found this:

"Use Redneck Vision (Y). Switch modes (LB/RB) to detect different targets. The blue mode detects ducks. The red mode detects commie infiltration and satans. The pink mode detects attractive cousins."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tempo 119 posted:

I'm guessing they added Cousin Beaux so they could have a real VA do all the gamey stuff (tutorials etc) and let the real dudes stay "in-character", something like that

Actually, can we get an answer from people who know the show, what's the deal with Cousin Beaux? Searches kept faltering, but that was all by people who have no idea what the show's like and are just sort of guessing.

And just checking, none of the guys in this game yet/at all are Racist Tirade Guy, right?

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Cleretic posted:

Actually, can we get an answer from people who know the show, what's the deal with Cousin Beaux? Searches kept faltering, but that was all by people who have no idea what the show's like and are just sort of guessing.

And just checking, none of the guys in this game yet/at all are Racist Tirade Guy, right?

If you're referring to "Black People Were Happier Before Civil Rights," that was Phil Robertson.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember that time Phil was on Sean Hannity's show on Fox News as an expert talking about radical Islam?

This happened THIS MONTH.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wasn't there another LP that had rednecks in it?

You're thinking of Skippy Granola's currently-in-limbo-hasn't-been-updated-in-a-while LP of Redneck Rampage.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Swamps are cool but people who live in/own swamps definitely are not.

You think LL Cool J would hang around with NOT cool people?

Also, man I've been looking forward to this LP ever since I saw your reaction to the game being released. And the game's already off to a great, lovely start.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Mr. Maggy posted:

John Luke lacks the blood lust and omnicidal fury of the Cabela protagonist.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

TONS OF MERCHANDISE

Maybe I'm just really good at only going and getting what I need while dodging this stuff, but I never see it. Am I just in the wrong part of the states or something? Do we have geographical statistics on the popularity of this show? Because no one seems to give a drat about it around here, I didn't hear of it until the Coffee LP.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember that time Phil was on Sean Hannity's show on Fox News as an expert talking about radical Islam?

America is a weird, strange place.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

The entire Robertson clan is basically like my kinfolk out in west Texas, only there's more water and duck-call makers involved and less quail hunting and cotton.

Hell, I drove a John Deere tractor to help with the stripping once when I was, like, 14.

This thread is going to be magical.

If posts like this become the norm, we'll be hearing banjos every time we come into this thread.

All we need now is someone to effortpost on roadkill and moonshine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FillInTheBlank posted:

America is a weird, strange place.

You're not wrong.

And yes, I believe this was in response to Charlie.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I have never met these men and yet I feel as though I have known them all my life.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
So what happens if you intentionally miss most of the shots? Does the dog have a giggle at John Luke?

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?
Duck Dynasty wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for complete over-saturation. I work in sporting goods retail and am just surrounded by those four faces all the drat time. If it didn't jump the shark before (probably about 20 times by now), this game looks like it's gonna do a hell of a job to make sure it happens

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Tim posted:

I looked in the game files using a photograph of a computer and I found this:

"Use Redneck Vision (Y). Switch modes (LB/RB) to detect different targets. The blue mode detects ducks. The red mode detects commie infiltration and satans. The pink mode detects attractive cousins."

I was going to make a joke about 'Mashing X to stop finding sister attractive' but it's already there.

IT'S ALREADY THERE :magical:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
So I worked in a gamestop over the holiday and there was an entire standee devoted to the two versions of this game. It morbidly fascinated me that even though I live in a relatively rednecky part of New England, where people would buy the lovely Cabela and 4x4 games mentioned in the video unironically, I never saw a single one of these games sold despite corporate apparently deciding that they needed to give the thing its own standee.

That said, for the kinda people who like this show (my future in-laws, e.g.) this actually seems like a pretty accurate adaptation!

Edit: vvv :frogon:

Wild Knight fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 21, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Waffleman_ posted:

This is part of one of my weird Duck Commander stories.

The short of this one is that Phil Robertson legitimately believes that he is a target of Radical Islam and one of their greatest enemies, to the point that the church he goes to provides him with bodyguards while there in the way of normal church goers who are also police deputies or similar and thus conceal carry in the church.

One of these is my dad.

At least that's how he says it. Maybe my dad made this up but that seems, uh...super unlikely.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 21, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't watched any of the videos yet so maybe this has been pointed out but there's a 3DS version of this game that's completely different and looks like Animal Crossing or something.

1upclock posted:

In a day and age where console games just aren't made and mass-marketed unless they can claim to be a AAA game, whatever that means nowadays, it's nice to see that people still make games that are reminiscent of all the lovely PS2 licensed games we just don't see anymore.

Activision still cranks out a bunch of these weird things. I've spoken to a producer for one of them and he says they're insanely profitable and make more than COD in terms of ROI.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I've never watched an episode of Duck Dynasty, and popcultural osmosis has only told me that they are rednecks with beards and one of them is named Uncle Si, so here are my impressions so far:

-John Luck Pickard is a cold-blooded youth who wishes only to escape the madness that is this horrible redneck swamp. In the meantime, he has perfected the art of sharpshooting with a shotgun and duck calling.
-Uncle Si is a disgusting old man who probably has some racist stories about Vietnam that he made up.
-CB is a figment of John Luck's imagination.
-Phil has a lot of money but keeps it hidden.
-That other guy who I forgot the name of is an idiot.
-The dog is a demon.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
The most hilarious/irritating thing about the whole Duck Dynasty thing is that the Robertson family, as shown in that 'prior to the show' shot someone posted earlier, was actually hilariously old-money wealthy LONG before they started the duck-call thing or the TV show. One of them went to BERKELEY, for god's sakes. They're 'rednecks' the same way a blackface minstrel show stars people of african ancestry. It's like how Larry the Cable Guy is from frigging Minnesota; these are essentially obscenely rich assholes aping and mocking the underclass because it sells well.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah, I figure since it's reality tv at least 75% of this is scripted or edited to look different. Though I see all the old pictures and interviews of them before the show, and then I see stuff like them on Fox news saying we need to convert or kill all Muslims, so I don't know what to think of them.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The Duck Dynasty wiki conforms that the Beau on the show is certainly not the game's Cousin Beaux: http://duck-dynasty.wikia.com/wiki/Beau

However, Sadie's ex-beau Beau does have some advantages over the x'd Beaux:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

pkfan2004 posted:

Way too many trucks with Confederate flags for New Jersey

We get a lot of those here in Wisconsin too, also when I was in high school the song Sweet Home Alabama had achieve this weird popularity and the local classic rock station would play it quite regularly.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Party on Duckmen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

The Duck Dynasty wiki conforms that the Beau on the show is certainly not the game's Cousin Beaux: http://duck-dynasty.wikia.com/wiki/Beau

However, Sadie's ex-beau Beau does have some advantages over the x'd Beaux:

Appearances: Daddys Super Dangerous

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Waffleman_ posted:

Appearances: Daddys Super Dangerous
That's a great name for a band, for a movie, for an album, for a tattoo, for anything.

"You'd like to enroll your two kids in our school?"
"Yes, their names are Daddy's Super Dangerous and Jeffrey."

Imagine naming your daughter "Daddy's Super Dangerous".

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 21, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Maybe I'm just really good at only going and getting what I need while dodging this stuff, but I never see it. Am I just in the wrong part of the states or something? Do we have geographical statistics on the popularity of this show? Because no one seems to give a drat about it around here, I didn't hear of it until the Coffee LP.

I don't think so. It was all over the place for a good long while, but I think a lot of it got pulled after that controversy that KC mentioned in the video. I mean, I live in SC, the land that's never in the news for a good reason™, and the most Duck Dynasty merch I've seen in the past few weeks were some bobbleheads of the cast. Oh, and DD themed wrapping paper at Christmas.

e: Oh wait my aunt put a Uncle Si chia pet in our family gift exchange this year. (His beard grows) (She went home with it because no one wanted the loving thing)

e2: I wish there were a way to mod this game to put bitchin' ramps in the driving parts. Maybe just mod the gently caress out of GTA to make it resemble this game and then go nuts.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 21, 2015

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Honestly, this is the first time I've heard of Duck Dynasty aside from hearing the name mentioned casually somewhere with no context or description at all.

So far, I haven't been disappointed in my previous lack of knowledge on the subject, but this game looks to be a ridiculously stupid treat and I eagerly await the next update.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Not going to lie, Si's "Yeah" made me bawl out in laughter and it didn't stop for the rest of the episode. Now I want to actually watch the show.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My idea of rednecks in America is more or less Deliverance, but with less rape, so this game is very comfortably under redneck quote so far.

I have to qualify "Rednecks in America" because I know far too many rednecks in Canada, which is a very different flavour of redneck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

TwoPair posted:

e: Oh wait my aunt put a Uncle Si chia pet in our family gift exchange this year. (His beard grows) (She went home with it because no one wanted the loving thing)

Wait wait wait, there was one in your gift exchange as well? And I thought that was a weird and unlikely gift, especially since I'm in Canada.

• Locked thread