Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

Wait wait wait, there was one in your gift exchange as well? And I thought that was a weird and unlikely gift, especially since I'm in Canada.

It seems like a solid gag gift to me, it's a dumb thing (a chia), it's about a dumb successful thing (Duck Dynasty) and it was probably cheap and easy to grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I never got any Duck Dynasty gifts, but I did see the Chia Pets at Walmart.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Looks like a great LP for a crap game. Go get 'em lads!

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

This is part of one of my weird Duck Commander stories.

The short of this one is that Phil Robertson legitimately believes that he is a target of Radical Islam and one of their greatest enemies, to the point that the church he goes to provides him with bodyguards while there in the way of normal church goers who are also police deputies or similar and thus conceal carry in the church.

One of these is my dad.

At least that's how he says it. Maybe my dad made this up but that seems, uh...super unlikely.

What's crazy to me is that he's my favorite guy on the show. I've read his autobiography. He seems like a pretty nice, mostly logical sort of guy, and then... then there's this. Which I'd totally believe.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

kongurous posted:

What's crazy to me is that he's my favorite guy on the show. I've read his autobiography. He seems like a pretty nice, mostly logical sort of guy, and then... then there's this. Which I'd totally believe.

That's exactly how a lot of old Americans are. Nice and logical until you start talking to them about things that are different. Liberals, blacks, gays, jews, muslims, etc. So long as you're white with wholesome conservative christian values, then they're some of friendliest folks around.

Gestalt Illusion
May 28, 2013

General Ironicus posted:

The Duck Dynasty wiki conforms that the Beau on the show is certainly not the game's Cousin Beaux: http://duck-dynasty.wikia.com/wiki/Beau

I think I have the answer to this mystery.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So I may be just a filthy unwashed European savage but, like... why do people watch that show? What's it about? What's loving happening in there?!

I mean, apart from ducks.

edit: And what in the unholy name of all that quacks is a Robertson?
It's the name? Could've sworn it's some kind of fancy rednecky curse the way they use it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 21, 2015

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
R.I.P. ducks

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

anilEhilated posted:

So I may be just a filthy unwashed European savage but, like... why do people watch that show? What's it about? What's loving happening in there?!

It's the name? Could've sworn it's some kind of fancy rednecky curse the way they use it.

Robertson is the family name, yeah. The seeming appeal of the show was discussed last page - basically, its a modern show of curiosities, part of a trend.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm just too culture-shocked to think straight. Here's hoping there's an elaborate duck plucking minigame.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Davinci posted:

That's exactly how a lot of old Americans are. Nice and logical until you start talking to them about things that are different. Liberals, blacks, gays, jews, muslims, etc. So long as you're white with wholesome conservative christian values, then they're some of friendliest folks around.

The South is like this in general, really. Keep people off politics and religion, and they're pretty sane.

anilEhilated posted:

It's about an otherwise normal family that happens to own a multimillion dollar business selling duck calls and hunting merchandise. They get into family scuffs, petty contests, go hunting and fishing, and other such shenanigans, but at the end of every episode, they have a homemade meal together and enjoy the company of one another. The appeal is a callback to old-fashioned families that stick together and how it allows the viewer a level of intimacy with people they'd otherwise never meet to become like a familial surrogate. For a lot of Americans who don't have big extended families or feel distant from theirs, it's nice to feel something like a human connection to the people on the television. It's a sappy answer rooted in sentimentality, but that's the essence of reality television. Watching people live so we can live vicariously.

Also Robertson is the family. They're all Robertsons.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

kongurous posted:

It's a sappy answer rooted in sentimentality, but that's the essence of reality television. Watching people live so we can live vicariously.

Or in other cases, to feel better about ourselves.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Astro Nut posted:

Robertson is the family name, yeah. The seeming appeal of the show was discussed last page - basically, its a modern show of curiosities, part of a trend.
A discussion which for some reason didn't include American Chopper. American Chopper is baffling to me because it's run for several seasons, and yet it's just variously burly manchildren yelling at each other in-between tiny informative segments on whatever custom motorbike they're making.

IronSaber posted:

Or in other cases, to feel better about ourselves.
Yeah, this might explain it.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I keep getting whiplash whenever somebody pronounces John Luke's name, because it just seems like a english transliteration of Jean-Luc that sounds weird.
Except it's not. It's a bible reference.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

pandaK posted:

Not going to lie, Si's "Yeah" made me bawl out in laughter and it didn't stop for the rest of the episode. Now I want to actually watch the show.

That's the awful thing about these shows. They're about real people, and while real people are mostly boring and poo poo, some real people are utterly fantastic. Or at least slightly broken in a way that's entertaining.

Of course, you can't just make a show about people like Uncle Si, because that's too much. It's the Pirates of the Caribbean 4 lesson at play here.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 21, 2015

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Davinci posted:

And cling to your life if you are liberal black gay jew turned muslim.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Duck Dynasty, the tv show/personalities/merchandise are a completely separate brand from Duck Commander, the actual duck hunting gear. This show is pretty much 95% savvy business and showmanship with a tiny side of real life. When the Duck Dynasty empire inevitably collapses, Duck Commander will still be sold to actual people who want to hunt ducks.the only good to come out of Duck Dynasty is the current Beard Renaissance.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

I always thought the show was about a duck farm, since, you know, dynasties have subjects.

Not a very good dynasty if you massacre all your duck-citizens :colbert:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't think it's working. I watched the first episode and I don't feel any closer to christ.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Oh, man... A while back I was doing some freelance work transcribing audio and video files. Some were court documents, but a lot of the videos were, surprisingly, Duck Dynasty. I assume it was going to be used for subtitling DVDs or closed captioning for broadcast or something, but I actually enjoyed what I watched. Si is completely batshit. In the Christmas episode, he told a story about Christmas in Vietnam where Santa would come and give all the good soldiers extra rations or ammo, or even a claymore mine. And, according to Si, "a claymore mine, in Vietnam, was a very good thing to have".

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

They do make fragging your superiors easier. :v:

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Vicissitude posted:

Oh, man... A while back I was doing some freelance work transcribing audio and video files. Some were court documents, but a lot of the videos were, surprisingly, Duck Dynasty. I assume it was going to be used for subtitling DVDs or closed captioning for broadcast or something, but I actually enjoyed what I watched. Si is completely batshit. In the Christmas episode, he told a story about Christmas in Vietnam where Santa would come and give all the good soldiers extra rations or ammo, or even a claymore mine. And, according to Si, "a claymore mine, in Vietnam, was a very good thing to have".

Si is pretty much the reason to watch the show. Like there's something to like in everyone, but Si just makes every scene he's in better. There's another episode where he and Phil have to do a show and tell sort of thing for one of the kids of... I don't remember. Si tells Vietnam war stories to a bunch of 4th graders, Phil shows them how to clean a duck, everyone in the class reacts with total disgust either way.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sorry for possible derail, but whatever happened to Uncharted 3 multiplayer?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's honestly kind of impressive how bizarre the intro to this game is. No music, stilted and emotionless redneck voice acting, and seemingly non-sequitur jokes and juvenile humor about nose picking and extended conversations about duck call perfection that seem to last four times as long as they should.

It all came off as some kind of surreal performance art/parody.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
To decide how to judge this game I need to know if the 'False prophet' duck call subtitle was Chip's work or the developers.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

BottledBacon posted:

To decide how to judge this game I need to know if the 'False prophet' duck call subtitle was Chip's work or the developers.

All the subtitles are Chip's. The game doesn't have subtitles.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I think Chip said he was doing all the subtitles himself because the game doesn't have any.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Wild Knight posted:

I think Chip said he was doing all the subtitles himself because the game doesn't have any.

I can confirm this is true.

A game made in the year of our lord 2014 was so rushed and so cheap it does not include a subtitles option. Think about this for a second.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the only other time Chip had to make subtitles himself for an entire game was for Mega Man Legends. Wonderful 101 had a few where story bits were interspersed with gameplay.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wild Knight posted:

And those of us with craptacular hearing thank him for it. I don't want to miss a single pearl of wisdom dropping from Robertson lips...

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the only other time Chip had to make subtitles himself for an entire game was for Mega Man Legends. Wonderful 101 had a few where story bits were interspersed with gameplay.

Those bits in Wonderful 101 did have subtitles originally, but the word balloons cover up a good chunk of the screen. Holding one of the shoulder buttons makes the word balloons and subtitles disappear, so Chip did that and resubbed the footage himself to take up less space.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Those bits in Wonderful 101 did have subtitles originally, but the word balloons cover up a good chunk of the screen. Holding one of the shoulder buttons makes the word balloons and subtitles disappear, so Chip did that and resubbed the footage himself to take up less space.

Goddamn, Chip.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

This is my favorite thing to do when I play the W101 now. Each Shoulder button except for one controls either the transparency of the masks, the visibility of the Speech Bubble, or the entire thing.

So I just hit the shoulder buttons repeatedly during every cutscene and the game flickers from each possibility.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

How cheaply do these things get made? They certainly didn;t waste any time on getting re-runs on the line deliveries...

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Samovar posted:

How cheaply do these things get made? They certainly didn;t waste any time on getting re-runs on the line deliveries...

Do you think a bunch of rich dudes masquerading as back country murderfolk have time to do multiple takes?

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context
Last night I had a dream where I was Roddy Piper in They Live. But when I put the sunglasses on, instead of "CONSUME" or "MARRY AND REPRODUCE" or what-have-you, everything was actually Duck Dynasty merchandise. All the food was secretly Duck Dynasty-branded, every magazine had nothing but pictures of the Robertsons, everything on TV was them, every video game was the Duck Dynasty game, and all the radio stations were playing either the game's free MIDI music or Phil explaining his views on minorities. And some of the wealthier people were revealed to be models from the very game, complete with stilted movements, and when it looked like they talked into their watches, they were really technologically-advanced duck calls.

I'm not saying this thread caused this dream, but I will say that They Live is a great film that affects us all on several levels.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Covok posted:

Edit: I think it's a necessity thing. Once you leave a city, you need a car. No exceptions. There is next to no public transpiration in small towns. There might be a bus and a taxi service, but that's it. Don't expect a subway. Trains don't go everywhere because the countries big and long-haul buses only hit a few more areas, generally. Airports are a similar deal. If you only live a major metropolitan area or a small town that you never plan to leave, you might be ok. Otherwise, you do need a car.

That said, if you are in a city, you should not bother with a car. Public transportation handles your needs.

I read somewhere once that the entire population of the US could live comfortably in an area about the size of Texas, I think. Some amount of space that's relatively small compared to the size of the country. So there are huge stretches of buttfuck nowhere between pretty much everything of consequence. My folks and I live way out in a slightly rural area where we're a minimum of a half hour's drive away from almost everything, and that's pretty mild compared to where some people choose to live.

Contrastingwise, most of the UK's urban planning was done when an entire town might have one horse between them to share for emergencies, and sometimes that emergency was "it's the dead of winter and we ate all the sheep".

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"
Can someone explain why the ducks cannot be mass produced and then killed for food as easily chickens? Isn't there a more efficient way to acquire duck meat, feathers, etc. than calling them in and then shooting them down with shotguns?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

drowZebra posted:

Can someone explain why the ducks cannot be mass produced and then killed for food as easily chickens? Isn't there a more efficient way to acquire duck meat, feathers, etc. than calling them in and then shooting them down with shotguns?

Maybe.

But that wouldn't be any fun, now would it? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

drowZebra posted:

The appeal is hunting the ducks, not having the ducks once they are dead.

• Locked thread