Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

drowZebra posted:

Can someone explain why the ducks cannot be mass produced and then killed for food as easily chickens? Isn't there a more efficient way to acquire duck meat, feathers, etc. than calling them in and then shooting them down with shotguns?

1) Because hunting them is "more fun".
2) They're slightly smarter and more unruly than chickens, more prone to escaping. It's probably more hassle than it's worth to try and farm them and likely only slightly harder to hunt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

1upclock posted:

Last night I had a dream where I was Roddy Piper in They Live. But when I put the sunglasses on, instead of "CONSUME" or "MARRY AND REPRODUCE" or what-have-you, everything was actually Duck Dynasty merchandise. All the food was secretly Duck Dynasty-branded, every magazine had nothing but pictures of the Robertsons, everything on TV was them, every video game was the Duck Dynasty game, and all the radio stations were playing either the game's free MIDI music or Phil explaining his views on minorities. And some of the wealthier people were revealed to be models from the very game, complete with stilted movements, and when it looked like they talked into their watches, they were really technologically-advanced duck calls.

I'm not saying this thread caused this dream, but I will say that They Live is a great film that affects us all on several levels.

Weird, that's just what I normally experience when I go outside.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Buttass posted:

I read somewhere once that the entire population of the US could live comfortably in an area about the size of Texas, I think. Some amount of space that's relatively small compared to the size of the country. So there are huge stretches of buttfuck nowhere between pretty much everything of consequence. My folks and I live way out in a slightly rural area where we're a minimum of a half hour's drive away from almost everything, and that's pretty mild compared to where some people choose to live.

Contrastingwise, most of the UK's urban planning was done when an entire town might have one horse between them to share for emergencies, and sometimes that emergency was "it's the dead of winter and we ate all the sheep".

European residents often fail to realize how utterly massive the United States is. This shows how much bigger Texas is than the entirety of the United Kingdom (water and North Ireland included). Pennsylvania is bigger than Scotland. My home state of Florida is larger than North Korea. Russia and China are the only nations in existence as far as I know that are larger than the contiguous United States in terms of land area (Australia is just a tad smaller). The US is only slightly smaller than all of Europe.

This is why the United States is impossible to actually get a handle on culture-wise and why the individual states are so different. It's hard to form a coherent national identity and culture when it can take up to 2 days to cross the country via car with minimal stops and your own state is the size of an average nation. This also means that there's a massive amount of empty space where nothing happens; look at a population density map and marvel at how empty large swathes of territory are. A big part of that is certainly that the US is a very young country and started on the east coast before spreading west, so the majority of it has only had a European-descendant population building large settlements for less than 200 years.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You are forgetting :canada: when it comes to land area.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How much of that "empty space" is used to grow food?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

How much of that "empty space" is used to grow food?

About one fifth of all land area in the US is used for agriculture.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

About one fifth of all land area in the US is used for agriculture.

The government owns a lot of the empty space out west. Something like 85% of Nevada is government owned.

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"

Dimebags Brain posted:

The appeal is hunting the ducks, not having the ducks once they are dead.

But then why have the duck call? Doesn't that exist just to make it easier to kill/hunt the ducks? Why not then make it even easier to kill large volumes of ducks at once with the addition of more tools to kill more ducks?
I'm from the city (Saint Louis), and I don't understand hunting...
(However, I have played Monster Hunter, and you always bring the best tools for killing on hunting quests.)

drowZebra fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 21, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

paragon1 posted:

the same principles apply as far as backwoods people go but at the very least the explanation of the size of the united states is being used to explain why things like duck dynasty exist, because our own brand of rednecks is a little different than whatever the hell canada experiences.

as someone who lives in the southeast u.s. and has a lot of family from there it's pretty funny to see what's more or less a weird caricature that's made for tv.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Freshly killed game animals are delicious and the meat is often donated to local charities or used to supplement the diet of the hunter's family. Plus ducks are spiral-penised gang rapists, so shoot away. Duck vagina is an actual maze with false paths.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

the same principles apply as far as backwoods people go but at the very least the explanation of the size of the united states is being used to explain why things like duck dynasty exist, because our own brand of rednecks is a little different than whatever the hell canada experiences.

as someone who lives in the southeast u.s. and has a lot of family from there it's pretty funny to see what's more or less a weird caricature that's made for tv.

Canada is bigger than the usa and has a smaller and more spread out population while also having a more coherent national identity than the states.

Not that we don't have our own ridiculously fake reality shows about caricatures in the backwoods.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Pvt.Scott posted:

Freshly killed game animals are delicious and the meat is often donated to local charities or used to supplement the diet of the hunter's family. Plus ducks are spiral-penised gang rapists, so shoot away. Duck vagina is an actual maze with false paths.
Do you kill everything with a vagina that you find insufficiently accessible?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
There's actually a pseudo-myth regarding the sheer scale of the USA and the diversity of its internal culture - that the relative lack of passports among the population (though the number issued has been rising for a while) is because the USA is big enough (and relatively isolated, what with only two land borders thousands of miles apart and oceans on either side) that they can get roughly the same experience without ever leaving the country. You guys have deserts, rainforests, mountains (the really big kind!), swamps, great plains, massive lakes, and all of that spread over a range that you can basically cover all seasons and climates. Really, the only thing you're short of is tropical areas, and even then, Florida kinda edges in.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

lol dude I'm from South Carolina you don't have to explain this poo poo to me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

General Ironicus posted:

Kill and eat it.
I'm not exactly sold on the whole "freshly killed game is delicious" thing. How does that make a difference?
edit: VVV I guess that kind of makes sense. That statement really just suggested beating hearts out and chomping on them to me.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 21, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
No time for decomp gasses to set in and things like that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

paragon1 posted:

lol dude I'm from South Carolina you don't have to explain this poo poo to me.

i assumed only a canadian would remember canada :canada:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Astro Nut posted:

There's actually a pseudo-myth regarding the sheer scale of the USA and the diversity of its internal culture - that the relative lack of passports among the population (though the number issued has been rising for a while) is because the USA is big enough (and relatively isolated, what with only two land borders thousands of miles apart and oceans on either side) that they can get roughly the same experience without ever leaving the country. You guys have deserts, rainforests, mountains (the really big kind!), swamps, great plains, massive lakes, and all of that spread over a range that you can basically cover all seasons and climates. Really, the only thing you're short of is tropical areas, and even then, Florida kinda edges in.

We really don't have anything that could be considered a rainforest in the US that I can recall. Plus, if we ever want tropical, we just go to Hawaii.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

paragon1 posted:

You mean Upper America?

quote:

We really don't have anything that could be considered a rainforest in the US that I can recall. Plus, if we ever want tropical, we just go to Hawaii.

Oh really?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Waffleman_ posted:

There's a reason I clarified on the lack of tropical - you have rainforests, but they're temperate. The west coast, particularly the northwest towards canada, is where you find 'em.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

Doesn't everyone?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

That statement really just suggested beating hearts out and chomping on them to me.

That was the other hunting game they LPed.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

chitoryu12 posted:

America is really loving big

I can confirm that you don't realize how bit the USA if you're not from there. Last year I drove from Miami to Orlando with my girlfriend and it took us over three hours at 90mph and mostly in a straight line. And this was in the 22nd largest state in the country. But if you look at it on a map, it looks like a tiny sliver of the entire country, which it is. The experience made me appreciate how well-kept and efficient the USA's highway system is, and how much the country depends on it and on motor transportation in general.

The distance between Miami and Orlando is roughly 240 miles. That's the same distance between the capital of my country (Bogotá) and Medellín. However, it takes over 8 hours to cover that distance because the roads in Colombia are twisty, narrow, and not very good.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

drowZebra posted:

But then why have the duck call? Doesn't that exist just to make it easier to kill/hunt the ducks? Why not then make it even easier to kill large volumes of ducks at once with the addition of more tools to kill more ducks?
I'm from the city (Saint Louis), and I don't understand hunting...

I would hazard a guess that it makes it possible to hunt ducks. I can only speak from the experience of a son of a deer hunter, so I don't know how plentiful ducks are down south, but a good amount of hunting is waiting for things to show up. Much like fishing, you can go where you have a good idea where your prey might be, you can make your catch area more attractive (lures, calls, whatever), but sometimes none of that is enough. Video games aren't going to show you the boring parts where you're sitting on your rear end repeating those duck calls for hours (or days?) on end before a flock happens to come near enough to hear it, and then also decides to come down and sit in your pond, so that you can shoot one or two before they get too high to safely keep shooting (a very, very important part of hunting, and in fact shooting in general, is knowing where your bullet is going to end up if you miss, and the sky is about the worst backstop possible). Instead it's going to throw ducks at you like they hurl entire city populations' worth of bad guys at you in an FPS.

To put it simply, people enjoy hunting because it is actually really hard, and sometimes even if you do everything perfectly you still can't succeed. (Rogue-likes, anyone?) But if you do succeed, that's a big personal victory, and the spoils that go along with it are often secondary (though typically greatly appreciated nonetheless).

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"

Felinoid posted:

To put it simply, people enjoy hunting because it is actually really hard, and sometimes even if you do everything perfectly you still can't succeed. (Rogue-likes, anyone?) But if you do succeed, that's a big personal victory, and the spoils that go along with it are often secondary (though typically greatly appreciated nonetheless).
O_O Oh my gosh...
Duck Souls.
(I have to go make fan-art, now.)

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

drowZebra posted:

O_O Oh my gosh...
Duck Souls.
(I have to go make fan-art, now.)

A Duck Dynasty/Dark Souls crossover was somehow the last thing I expected to show up in...well, anything ever, and yet here we are.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I'm almost hoping for Duck Dynasty Warriors.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Wild Knight posted:

A Duck Dynasty/Dark Souls crossover was somehow the last thing I expected to show up in...well, anything ever, and yet here we are.

Lord Gwyn has a beard. It all checks out.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Wild Knight posted:

Dual-wielding Bonewheel Shields is still wonderfully OP against ducks, offroad trucks and stories from your uncle, and if you want to be a Robertson you gotta do a Giant Dad build.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

drowZebra posted:

Can someone explain why the ducks cannot be mass produced and then killed for food as easily chickens? Isn't there a more efficient way to acquire duck meat, feathers, etc. than calling them in and then shooting them down with shotguns?
They aren't mass farm raised because chickens and turkeys are already domesticated and thus cheaper to deal with.

However, I do know that the lady who taught me to play the piano raises ducks and geese on her property, and the ducks like to cuddle up on her lap.

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

It is shameful for a demon to be working

drowZebra posted:

You don't want to kill too many of the ducks or you run out of ducks. This is why the law prevents people from using 2-inch A-gauge punt shotguns the size of light field guns which can kill an entire flock in one shot. The trick is to devise a method that's sufficiently inefficient.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Alien Arcana posted:

Lord Gwyn has a beard. It all checks out.

Inbred Priscilla. :gonk:

New Londo Ruins will be a Walmart at closing time on Black Friday.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

Inbred Priscilla. :gonk:

I suspect that 'crossbreed' takes on an entirely new meaning in the world of Duck Dynasty.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
No matter what, they are still not hunting ducks as :black101: as my friend J. He literally hunts ducks with a wrench. I don't approve of it, but he basically beats the ducks to death with a wrench. He lures them in with food and then clobbers them. He plans on stepping up to Geese. I've mentioned that Geese fight back and, yet, he finds that inciting and not as a deterrent.

He has assured me multiple times this is legal and I have not believed him once.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

your friend sounds terrifying

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think your friend's just stuck at the beginning of an FPS and hasn't gotten his first gun yet.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Geese will gently caress your limbs and extremities up. Encourage him to invest in some gloves and boots and to use a metal trash can or bucket lid as a buckler.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

Geese will gently caress your limbs and extremities up. Encourage him to invest in some gloves and boots and to use a metal trash can or bucket lid as a buckler.

The real Duck Souls begins now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So they got the actual actors from the TV series to do the voices right? Do they talk that stilted in the TV show? The "That duck call is like poetry to the ears" read was awful, I would think someone who speaks for a living could deliver it more naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Tell him to prepare like it's the zombie apocalypse. Something strong and bite resistant, maybe a helmet.

• Locked thread