Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Covok posted:

No matter what, they are still not hunting ducks as :black101: as my friend J. He literally hunts ducks with a wrench. I don't approve of it, but he basically beats the ducks to death with a wrench. He lures them in with food and then clobbers them. He plans on stepping up to Geese. I've mentioned that Geese fight back and, yet, he finds that inciting and not as a deterrent.

He has assured me multiple times this is legal and I have not believed him once.

That's really hosed up and cruel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Improbable Lobster posted:

Canada is bigger than the usa and has a smaller and more spread out population while also having a more coherent national identity than the states.

How's Quebec been lately?

There's also the repeated-like-clockwork waves of immigrants we've had, which are shat upon for a while until they're deemed to be white enough to put up with, which usually coincides with the -next- wave of folks showing up.

Leal posted:

So they got the actual actors from the TV series to do the voices right? Do they talk that stilted in the TV show? The "That duck call is like poetry to the ears" read was awful, I would think someone who speaks for a living could deliver it more naturally.

It's just about that bad on the show.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The only animals that you are ethically allowed to club to death are animals that can kill you much more easily, because then it's an honorable duel.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Waffleman_ posted:

The real Duck Souls begins now.

This is shaping up to be another Pure Platinum thread.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Geese will gently caress your limbs and extremities up. Encourage him to invest in some gloves and boots and to use a metal trash can or bucket lid as a buckler.

Dude, I've straight up told him that Geese will gently caress him up. And he just looks off into the distance and gives some pseudo-masculine bullshit about how he'll gladly fight a bunch of them.

Like, he's my friend and stuff, but a part of me is like "if he is gonna dig a hole because him and my other friend D always think they can get away with everything, then he can lie in it." If wants to be an rear end in a top hat to animals despite my protests, then, you know, he can deal with the repercussions. Also, legitimately, he probably would go through with it anyways.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
your friend may be a sociopath

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

your friend may be a sociopath

We need to test it. Ask him if he'd cut off a part of his finger for a chicken nugget.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

RareAcumen posted:

We need to test it. Ask him if he'd cut off a part of his finger for a chicken nugget.

Nah, he'd just come up with some elaborate ruse to try to get it without paying or at a reduced cost. Presumably in a way that makes it so that he has to go back to the restaurant only when there is a different waiting staff on duty.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MachuPikacchu posted:

I can confirm that you don't realize how bit the USA if you're not from there. Last year I drove from Miami to Orlando with my girlfriend and it took us over three hours at 90mph and mostly in a straight line. And this was in the 22nd largest state in the country. But if you look at it on a map, it looks like a tiny sliver of the entire country, which it is. The experience made me appreciate how well-kept and efficient the USA's highway system is, and how much the country depends on it and on motor transportation in general.

The distance between Miami and Orlando is roughly 240 miles. That's the same distance between the capital of my country (Bogotá) and Medellín. However, it takes over 8 hours to cover that distance because the roads in Colombia are twisty, narrow, and not very good.

Since 2007 I've made almost yearly trips from my home in Orlando to New York City, Detroit, and other more northern places. The drive from here to NYC may not look like it on the map, but it's close to 1000 miles and means spending over a day just on the road with stops and sleep factored in. People can and have turned going coast to coast into an adventure because if you're not taking a plane or train, you're spending over a day of your life just sitting in a chair with your foot pushing a pedal down.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I wonder if there's going to be a duck cooking mini-game of sorts. I like eating duck although it is a bit fatty and gristly.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Zuzie posted:

I wonder if there's going to be a duck cooking mini-game of sorts. I like eating duck although it is a bit fatty and gristly.

Best part about eating Duck (and Squirrel) is 'Chew thoroughly because if you hit something you can't chew it's probably a pellet so spit it out'

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_duck

Is hunting necessary?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Man, now I want a pet duck. :3:

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

It is shameful for a demon to be working

The point is that wild ducks farm themselves and congregate in predictable enough ways that you don't need to do much heavy lifting. So then you just have to shoot them, and shooting things is fun. It's not like wringing their necks by hand is going to win you any more karma points anyway.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
The price of fame is very high.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

1) Because hunting them is "more fun".
2) They're slightly smarter and more unruly than chickens, more prone to escaping. It's probably more hassle than it's worth to try and farm them and likely only slightly harder to hunt them.

And, having had free range poultry before, it tastes substantially better and has a denser consistency than over processed battery birds.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Weird, that's just what I normally experience when I go outside.

But, have you looked up to find you were having sex with either a duck or a Robertson?

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"
DUCK SOULS.
"John Luke, try jumping here."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

drowZebra posted:

DUCK SOULS.

Good work

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

drowZebra posted:

DUCK SOULS.

Well now I'm curious to see other duck boss designs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Samovar posted:

How cheaply do these things get made? They certainly didn;t waste any time on getting re-runs on the line deliveries...

I was told you're generally looking at $1-1.5m and <1yr of development time for these sorts of games, so yeah, really cheap by today's standards. The way it works is that Activision has a huge network of distributors that lets them carpetbomb every possible retail space with crappy games like these, either by forcing retailers to take them alongside COD or Skylanders or whatever or by just sending them unannounced without giving a poo poo if they're thrown in the bargain bin, so long as they get sold. Reliable licenses + tiny budgets + ubiquity = profit.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context
Just a reminder that this game is $40 on Steam.

No, I did not add a zero.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

1upclock posted:

Just a reminder that this game is $40 on Steam.

No, I did not add a zero.

It's $40 on the PS3 and PS4 as well.

I got it for free with one of Target's "Buy Two Get 1 Free" deals and I still feel like I overpaid.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

kalonZombie posted:

It's $40 on the PS3 and PS4 as well.

I got it for free with one of Target's "Buy Two Get 1 Free" deals and I still feel like I overpaid.
Depends. What were the two other games you bought?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Canada is bigger than the usa and has a smaller and more spread out population while also having a more coherent national identity than the states.

The only rebuttal necessary is: Quebec

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

That's really hosed up and cruel
At least the duck has a chance to fight back. :v:

Archaedes
Nov 3, 2013

AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley

Covok posted:

No matter what, they are still not hunting ducks as :black101: as my friend J. He literally hunts ducks with a wrench. I don't approve of it, but he basically beats the ducks to death with a wrench. He lures them in with food and then clobbers them. He plans on stepping up to Geese. I've mentioned that Geese fight back and, yet, he finds that inciting and not as a deterrent.

He has assured me multiple times this is legal and I have not believed him once.

How? How does this borderline psychopath manage to sneak up on the ducks close enough to be able to clobber these ducks to death? I mean, last I've checked ducks tend to be pretty paranoid and get the hell away from me when I try to massacre them :v:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I too have chased many a duck but have never succeeded in catching one.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

FillInTheBlank posted:

I too have chased many a duck but have never succeeded in catching one.

I once caught a pigeon out of the air mid-flight, but only after I had cornered it, and again only after two dozen attempts at pestering the poor thing over the course of a month.

For a wild animal, its feathers were really soft and it felt so delicate :3: I was afraid I'd hurt it as it struggled, though, so I let it go after a few seconds.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ometeotl posted:

The only rebuttal necessary is: Quebec

Québec is an important part of Canadian culture, bringing Poutine, a second national language and a significant amount of hockey players and maple syrup.

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

It is shameful for a demon to be working

Neurion posted:

I once caught a pigeon out of the air mid-flight, but only after I had cornered it, and again only after two dozen attempts at pestering the poor thing over the course of a month.

For a wild animal, its feathers were really soft and it felt so delicate :3: I was afraid I'd hurt it as it struggled, though, so I let it go after a few seconds.

If you'd tried that with a London pigeon they'd never have found all the pieces.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pvt.Scott posted:

Geese will gently caress your limbs and extremities up. Encourage him to invest in some gloves and boots and to use a metal trash can or bucket lid as a buckler.

Geese are not to be trifled with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81ptFSA4mk

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why couldn't they hunt geese instead?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It seems to me like the only reason birds like geese and swans have such a feared reputation is because they're legally protected, because otherwise you should be able to easily win a fight with one by just kicking it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

chitoryu12 posted:

It seems to me like the only reason birds like geese and swans have such a feared reputation is because they're legally protected, because otherwise you should be able to easily win a fight with one by just kicking it.

Swans can break your loving arm if you're not careful. Geese like to be in gaggles, so they will gang up on you if you piss them off. Don't fight birds. They will gently caress you up.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Meanwhile I've been bitten by a duck once, and it barely hurt at all. The moment I made a startled noise, it hosed off pretty quick. Ducks are small and scared of us. (Though the hunting may have a fair bit to do with the latter.)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

thetoughestbean posted:

Swans can break your loving arm if you're not careful. Geese like to be in gaggles, so they will gang up on you if you piss them off. Don't fight birds. They will gently caress you up.

Swans aren't strong enough to break the limb of any healthy adult. They'd only be able to pull that off if it was an extremely large, bizarrely aggressive swan putting in an enormous effort to kill something it wouldn't want to eat or do anything with, and even then it would probably only break a child's or an elderly person's arm.

They're really strong for birds but they're not as strong as they're said to be, and they're also not nearly as aggressive as geese are.

That said, like a lot of things they'd be able to smash your collar bone or your frontal bones or similar fragile bones, so they'd still hurt to get hit by, a lot.

mdct fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 22, 2015

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Swans aren't strong enough to break the limb of any healthy adult. They'd only be able to pull that off if it was an extremely large, bizarrely aggressive swan putting in an enormous effort to kill something it wouldn't want to eat or do anything with, and even then it would probably only break a child's or an elderly person's arm.

They're really strong for birds but they're not as strong as they're said to be, and they're also not nearly as aggressive as geese are.

That said, like a lot of things they'd be able to smash your collar bone or your frontal bones or similar fragile bones, so they'd still hurt to get hit by, a lot.

You're probably right. My main point of not loving with birds stands, though.

Don't gently caress with birds.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Don't kick a goose, that's the worst idea. The beak is the dangerous end. A kick tends to aim for the body, leaving the dangerous end free to bite you in the balls. An unarmed person's best bet against a goose is to grab it by the neck, fling it like a slingshot, and vacate the area.

Geese are giant loving assholes. We used to have one that would sneak up on people just to bite them in the balls and/or rear end in a top hat. It resulted in bleeding. Oh, and there was the one that just liked swooping in out of nowhere to assault the hell out of people at random.

My favorite was the one who had no fear of vehicles whatsoever. It would stop cars to bite their tires. One day, Dad got sick of it and sped up instead of slowing down. Goose bit the tire anyway and was sent spinning off into the forest like a helicopter. drat goose still did it after that, just not to our car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Don't gently caress with birds.

Aren't Cassowaries badass birds that can puncture poo poo with their feet? According to wiki some teenagers tried to kill one with a club, the bird knocked one on his rear end and sent him running, the other teen tripped and the bird punctured his neck with a kick.

citybeatnik posted:

It's just about that bad on the show.

Its easier to justify no cable every day.

• Locked thread