Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Who is Bud Selig?

Well, he's the commissioner of baseball, and he is retiring. He is also an immortal lich who has haunted the world since time immemorial (sometime circa: 1970).Honestly, a lot of baseball fans probably can't remember baseball without Bud Selig, the guy has been acting in the capacity of commissioner since 1992. Certainly I cannot remember baseball before Bud since I was still a wee little child. The fact of the matter is, Bud has been acting as commissioner for a long time, and his reign saw some sweeping changes: the creation of central division, the introduction of the wild card, the introduction of inter-league play, the consolidation of the administrative functions of the American League and the National League, the introduction of 4 expansion teams, etc. Bug Selig's reign also saw skyrocketing profits, either skyrocketing PED use or at least backlash, and the longest work stoppage in baseball history. Needless to say, a lot happened, and with Bud officially retiring in a few days his legacy is going to a topic of discussion in the sports world I am sure.

What is the purpose of the thread?

A few days ago in the N?V thread, I mentioned I wrote a letter to Bud Selig in 2011 in reaction to the new CBA titled "Hey Fuckface" that I never sent. There was some interest in me posting the letter, but I have not done so. And to the disappointment of probably no one, I am not going to. It sucked. Also, sending Bud a letter about the new CBA is pointless now, and also my complaints about never seeing my team be competitive would seem bizarre the off-season after they who the ALCS. So, I am going to write him a new open letter on the occasion of his retirement to commemorate his commissioner-ship. Of course, my classes just started, and I severely underestimated how much homework I would have to do this first week because I am stupid and somehow thought taking 9 hours of literature courses would not eat up all my time. So anyway, once I finish my first draft of my new letter, hopefully Thursday afternoon, I am going to post it here for anyone on SAS to read, and help edit before I send it as an open letter somewhere, probably Deadspin. Of course this wouldn't be much of a thread if it was just about editing a letter I haven't finished yet. So, I figure this can also serve as a kind of Bud Selig thread to discuss his legacy outside the news and views thread.

LETTER COMING SOON

Bud Selig's Legacy
I'm not actually much of a baseball historian, so take what I write with a grain of salt. A lot of places are probably going to write Selig some pretty glowing send-offs. He made the owners an insane amount of money; playoff expansion, whether you like it or not, brought in beaucoup money. Selig is also the longest serving commissioner since noted rear end in a top hat Kenesaw Mountain Landis, which will be seen as a praiseworthy accomplishment. Also, recently Selig tried to cement a hard on PEDs reputation for himself, which is really quite hilarious. My point is, Selig will officially be remembered quite highly. The truth of the matter is the commish serves the owners, not the sport. So technically speaking Selig was a phenomenal commissioner. But gently caress that bullshit.

Below is an incomplete list of black marks against baseball premier lich which I think better epitomize his reign of backroom dealing and collusion.

-1992: Selig usurps Faye Vincent and becomes acting commissioner. I saw usurps because the owners vote of no confidenced Vincent. This vote of no confidence is no doubt related to the owners' collusion in the late 80's as well as Vincent's work to bring an end to the work stoppage of 1990.

-1994: The worst work stoppage in baseball history occurs. Selig has to cancel the World Series, it is the first time the World Series is cancelled.

-1998: The Milwaukee Brewers are moved to the National league cause... reasons. A decade and a half later, Selig decided uneven leagues were stupid and a team needed to move back to the AL to restore balance. MLB then gave the Astros $70 million dollars to join the American League. The whole thing is very silly.

-2001?-2004?: The owners vote to contract the Expos and the Twins. MLB takes control of the Expos after Loria takes the entire front office to the Marlins. MLB then dicks the Expos around, including not making any September call-ups during a playoff push. The Expos are then moved to Washington.

-2002: The All-Star game ends in a tie. Once again, the whole thing was very silly. So Bud decides, we'll make this poo poo matter. Now the All-Star games determines home field advantage for the WS, which has to be the stupidest way to determine home field advantage in major sports.

-The whole loving time: Selig claims to either not hear about steroids until 1998 or claims to have crusaded against steroids as early as 1994 depending on if he believes ignorance or impotence looks better for him at the time.

-2008: Selig stands by as the owners no doubt collude to keep our lord and savior Barrold Bonds, esquire out of baseball.

-2014: Selig calls St. Louis the best baseball town, honestly unforgivable/

-Currently: MLB dicks the A's around as they search for an escape from their poo poo filled stadium. San Jose sues MLB and loses, twice I guess, although honestly the whole thing could go all the way to the supreme court if San Jose feels so inclined. It will be hilarious is MLB loses its anti-trust exemption over an issue Selig could have resolved. Not that it will matter, cause that will affect the next guys legacy, yay!

-Also currently: One word, Mets. I am not going to touch the Wilpons, I am sure guys that know the situation more thn e can talk about.

TL;DR
Selig is a lich. Let's complain about him now that he is leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Dear Bud: First off gently caress yo bitch and the clique you claim...

• Locked thread