Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

wins32767 posted:

Did Diqnol get a name and avatar change?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Byers2142 posted:

您好

Here's the thing, you're making an alignment call on Keane but not considering Ernie from the perspective of his alignment. You want to lynch Ernie irregardless of his alignment; I'm trying to figure out whether I believe him based on alignment (and a bit of consideration about Ecco as a mod). You know how I feel about arguments for lynch that are alignment-neutral.

Such arguments are valid but I disagree in this case. His role as claimed is insanely anti-town. You know, my plan was to pursue this for a while to try to bait out "overeager" people to lynch ernie but, ironically, I have become this golem because I accidentally quoted your post. C'est la vie.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

wins32767 posted:

Did Diqnol get a name and avatar change?

Do you have something worth saying? You claimed I faked a post and aren't voting for me. What are you even for?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

Do you have something worth saying? You claimed I faked a post and aren't voting for me. What are you even for?

wins is just sad he didn't get to shoot me in joke phase. Again.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Byers2142 posted:

您好

Here's the thing, you're making an alignment call on Keane but not considering Ernie from the perspective of his alignment. You want to lynch Ernie irregardless of his alignment; I'm trying to figure out whether I believe him based on alignment (and a bit of consideration about Ecco as a mod). You know how I feel about arguments for lynch that are alignment-neutral.

Wait, I just realized this doesn't make sense. You're mad at me for not considering Ernie from an alignment perspective, yet you're using setup speculation in your consideration for him and considering that valid? You realize there are two primary approaches to Ernie's claim and both make setup spec irrelevant - you either believe him and he's insanely anti-town and needs to be lynched, or you don't and want to see who does and why and want to lynch someone jumping on a bad opportunity. There is a third approach, but it is the approach of scum :)

Anyway, would vote Byers. That didn't take long.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

To True and Real I presume?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

True and Real posted:

Are you seriously giving me crap because I didn't read or post overnight?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm giving you crap for calling my post fake without a vote and then coming in and posting before reading to ask if I'm diqnol. Instead of talking about that, read and talk about stuff. Enough things have happened for you to have opinions.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

Such arguments are valid but I disagree in this case. His role as claimed is insanely anti-town. You know, my plan was to pursue this for a while to try to bait out "overeager" people to lynch ernie but, ironically, I have become this golem because I accidentally quoted your post. C'est la vie.

I'm leaning more towards "no way is it true" on his claim at this point. Check my logic.

Claim as I understand it. Any weak docs or cops, some which may not even know they are such due to possible mystery item shenanigans, will die when if they target Ernie. Normal cops will see him as scum because miller. Watchers will see any killers as Ernie. Trackers will track Ernie to the kill even if he doesn't do it (?).

That's literally the same thing, 100%, that people would see from a regular scum killer or an SK. Short of a rolecop or a flip, I can't think of a single way to differentiate the two.

Plus, imagine that role as written from a game balance perspective. you're a guaranteed mislynch, and you might kill a weak doc along the way to make things worse while granting cover to all killers. That's not a fun role to play, and unless there's a lone SK in the game it over balances towards scum. Which is why I'm playing the "yes, it sounds crazy, but would Ecco do it?" game in my head.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Ernie. posted:

So since both Keane and Diqnol have said they have ~powerful~ roles, I'm going to assume it's a role madness game and I should offer up what I know before it blows up later.

I'm a 'Serial Miller'. I investigate as scum to a weak doctor or cop, and can be seen performing the nightkill to watchers or trackers. I clarified with Ecco and she said that I basically 'mask' the nightkiller to a watcher and appear to be the only visiter instead, but there may be abilities that undo this.
The italics is what I don't like! Ernie's role's mere existence suggests role stuffs. Citing Keane and Diqslol as a reason to claim rings extremely false to me.

##vote Ernie

Not for his role, but for his fake reasoning in claiming it.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

Wait, I just realized this doesn't make sense. You're mad at me for not considering Ernie from an alignment perspective, yet you're using setup speculation in your consideration for him and considering that valid? You realize there are two primary approaches to Ernie's claim and both make setup spec irrelevant - you either believe him and he's insanely anti-town and needs to be lynched, or you don't and want to see who does and why and want to lynch someone jumping on a bad opportunity. There is a third approach, but it is the approach of scum :)

Anyway, would vote Byers. That didn't take long.

I disagree with lynching someone I think is town. Plain and simple. There should never be a role that is so anti-town that you will lynch it regardless of alignment. It's not fun and goes against the point of the game, which is at the end of the day to lynch scum. If I think Ernie's town, I will not vote to lynch him.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

ooo noo jasmin is still mad that I pwn her at mafia~~~

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

wins32767 posted:

To True and Real I presume?

Yep.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

True and Real posted:

Take on Ernie claim and Keane early approach

I'm trying find a game where Ernie fake claimed as scum on day 1 so I can say this is exactly like that.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Byers2142 posted:

I disagree with lynching someone I think is town. Plain and simple. There should never be a role that is so anti-town that you will lynch it regardless of alignment. It's not fun and goes against the point of the game, which is at the end of the day to lynch scum. If I think Ernie's town, I will not vote to lynch him.

His role as claimed is exactly bad enough to lynch him even if he's town.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

His role as claimed is exactly bad enough to lynch him even if he's town.

I disagree with lynching anyone when you think they are town just because of their role. I don't care how bad that role is, it's one of the few things I hold true to in mafia.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

He hurts multiple town members every night until he is gone and his role will forever leave us totally unsure of his alignment through anything other than his posting/logic which has been pointed out by a couple people now to be off as well.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

True and Real posted:

I'm giving you crap for calling my post fake without a vote and then coming in and posting before reading to ask if I'm diqnol. Instead of talking about that, read and talk about stuff. Enough things have happened for you to have opinions.

I agree there is plenty of stuff to talk about, but making a case on you for doing what you normally do doesn't make sense so I wanted some clarification.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

wins32767 posted:

I agree there is plenty of stuff to talk about, but making a case on you for doing what you normally do doesn't make sense so I wanted some clarification.

What do I "usually do"?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Ernie. posted:

So since both Keane and Diqnol have said they have ~powerful~ roles, I'm going to assume it's a role madness game and I should offer up what I know before it blows up later.

I'm a 'Serial Miller'. I investigate as scum to a weak doctor or cop, and can be seen performing the nightkill to watchers or trackers. I clarified with Ecco and she said that I basically 'mask' the nightkiller to a watcher and appear to be the only visiter instead, but there may be abilities that undo this.

The role name is a really clever one, but I'm not sure if I should attribute it to Ecco or Ernie.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

Nope, I'm VT. Also that's an incredibly lovely role.

This is a very town reaction.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

True and Real posted:

You're absolutely nothing like sloppo, and for this reason I know you to be a wolf.

I kind of want to vote you for using wolf. Or is your PR that you're posting like Arkane?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Meinberg posted:

My first reaction to Ernie's claim is that it's complete and utter bullshit. But on the other hand, if Ernie actually has that role, it's good that he claimed it this early. I would expand, but my thoughts are still in process, and I don't want to risk the possibility of exposing other town power roles to scrutiny due to me being accidentally correct in my random flailing.

I have my doubts about whether Keane is joking or not. On the one hand, my finely honed instinct says that Keane is being ironic. On the other hand, my ~gut~ tells me other things, that Keane is hiding behind his typical irony in order to, in fact, soft claim that he has a power role. Or perhaps, and this is the most likely, that he's actually a vanilla town, and that is his powerful role. There is too much irony to properly parse.

Chic is attempting to generate content without generating content. You might say that I'm engaging in the same sort of behavior, but my ambivalence is due to the inherent ambiguity of the situation.

This is a really forced sounding post, but it's Meinberg...

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

He hurts multiple town members every night until he is gone and his role will forever leave us totally unsure of his alignment through anything other than his posting/logic which has been pointed out by a couple people now to be off as well.

The back half of this sentence is an alignment case, one that I agree with as being a good point. The reason for the claim is weak for two reasons. One, you and Keane just said you had powerful roles, and he immediately believed you and decided to claim. Two, he should have claimed with that role anyway to let everyone know the effects it would have on them.

But you're also saying that even if he is town, we should lynch him. And that is a sentiment that I will always find scummy and will never agree with.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Despite finding Dickgnoll's approach to generating thread content forced, apparently it worked. The aggressive approach on Meinberg gave me a false positive on him at first but it makes sense to me as town now.

While the actual reads in Meinberg's post are fine I can't ignore the presentation. It's entirely too self aware and reaching. The callout on Chic is what makes it for me, it's as though he read the last couple posts and thought he needed to say more. I am tempted to say "That's just Meinberg," but I know he'll do it for me. Would vote.

Ernie's claim strikes me as true. I think it'd be to our benefit to not tunnel in on that discussion as it's going to be a huge distraction. His summation of Keane was very close to my intepretation.

Yeah, I have trouble reading Keane's posts as anything other than overeager scum play. ##vote CCKeane

Somb, were you drinking when you posted this? There are way too many words for this to be a good post.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

bowmore posted:

Just wanted to let you guys know I can cast Identify as a free (night) action, I'm like a loving Wizard

Can you target just yourself or can you target others?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

wins32767 posted:

I kind of want to vote you for using wolf. Or is your PR that you're posting like Arkane?

My PR from the beginning of the game was going to be posting as a different mafia player in every post but I've decided I post too much to pull that off/it's not worth it to restrict myself in my tri-annual mafia game.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

##vote Byers

Way too engaged in setup/role spec and no where near engaged enough in finding scum.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

wins32767 posted:

Bear in mind that Meinberg was being forced to make that post and that I asked him because I knew such a post would be a result.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Byers2142 posted:

The back half of this sentence is an alignment case, one that I agree with as being a good point. The reason for the claim is weak for two reasons. One, you and Keane just said you had powerful roles, and he immediately believed you and decided to claim. Two, he should have claimed with that role anyway to let everyone know the effects it would have on them.

But you're also saying that even if he is town, we should lynch him. And that is a sentiment that I will always find scummy and will never agree with.

I feel like you're white knighting the idea here a little too hard.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

wins32767 posted:

##vote Byers

Way too engaged in setup/role spec and no where near engaged enough in finding scum.

Ernie's claim warrants being the primary focus right now, both because of the impact it can have with powers if true and because it's the perfect fakeclaim to negate all night actions that could catch him. Given that, I think it's important to consider the set-up as well. Generally, set-up spec is worthless, but in this specific case it's necessary.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

I feel like you're white knighting the idea here a little too hard.

Which idea, that you shouldn't lynch someone you think is town or that scum like to make cases where they can lynch someone without making an alignment call?

The idea that you should lynch players you think are town for role reasons has always and will always ring false to me. I know I've had this argument before, and no one's ever found a convincing argument to make me change my mind on it.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Byers2142 posted:

Ernie's claim warrants being the primary focus right now, both because of the impact it can have with powers if true and because it's the perfect fakeclaim to negate all night actions that could catch him. Given that, I think it's important to consider the set-up as well. Generally, set-up spec is worthless, but in this specific case it's necessary.

Then we'll need to focus on his play to determine if he's scum, not talk about if the game is item based or whatever. You know this.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

wins32767 posted:

Somb, were you drinking when you posted this? There are way too many words for this to be a good post.

Yes actually.

wins32767 posted:

Me posted:

While the actual reads in Meinberg's post are fine I can't ignore the presentation. It's entirely too self aware and reaching. The callout on Chic is what makes it for me, it's as though he read the last couple posts and thought he needed to say more. I am tempted to say "That's just Meinberg," but I know he'll do it for me. Would vote.

Why dismiss that post out of hand because Meinberg can be awkward? It's scummy and demonstrably fake.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Byers2142 posted:

Which idea, that you shouldn't lynch someone you think is town or that scum like to make cases where they can lynch someone without making an alignment call?

The idea that you should lynch players you think are town for role reasons has always and will always ring false to me. I know I've had this argument before, and no one's ever found a convincing argument to make me change my mind on it.

Byers2142 posted:

This feels fake. You're focusing on the role aspect above all else so pretending like it's an aside to why you want to lynch Ernie is disingenuous.

The only point I like against Ernie is what Yuming brought up and I don't care to talk about Ernie. I'm willing to talk about his role tomorrow but I think it's a massive distraction for today.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I mean, two people claimed that they were Diviners who could cast Identify. Just play the game.

Rarity posted:

I don't want to vote Keane D1, it's been too long since I played with the darling of SA mafia :(

I think we should lynch Ernie. Even if his claim is true, we should get him out of the way so the watcher/tracker can get proper results if they find the nightkill.

##vote Ernie

A bad post, Rarity doesn't make any alignment calls in this post but votes someone and refuses to vote someone else.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

This feels fake. You're focusing on the role aspect above all else so pretending like it's an aside to why you want to lynch Ernie is disingenuous.

The only point I like against Ernie is what Yuming brought up and I don't care to talk about Ernie. I'm willing to talk about his role tomorrow but I think it's a massive distraction for today.

##unvote
##vote Somberbrero

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The role discussion is already tedious, much like your posting.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

Why dismiss that post out of hand because Meinberg can be awkward? It's scummy and demonstrably fake.

You're stating this position more forcefully now than you did initially, where you were also apparently half of a mind to dismiss the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

##vote byers

There are totally roles and players who should be lynched regardless of alignment and his posts feel like fake concern to make him look townie.

• Locked thread