Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

how me a frog posted:

My opinion is the inverse. Especially since you literally would do the having gaps in convayors anyway to minimize the footprint. v:shobon:v

How would that minimize footprint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

how me a frog posted:

My opinion is the inverse. Especially since you literally would do the having gaps in convayors anyway to minimize the footprint. v:shobon:v

Footprint includes all blocks covered by the output blocks AND your placed blocks, so making gaps has no effect there.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Jabor posted:

Parts used is an even more annoying metric, because then you just remove all your conveyors and have the blocks make their way anywhere by stepping on the backs of their previously-created brethren.

Single-block rotation is easy though? (At least, it is since they patched it). It literally Just Works unless your factory is getting backed up somewhere after the rotator.

You can't have any blocks near the rotation and you can't push the rotating block off the rotator with a pusher. I'm not very good at the game though. Maybe I'm trying to use them wrong.

What was your solution for rotating the track blocks on "Terrestrial Surveyor" for example?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Dietrich posted:

Footprint includes all blocks covered by the output blocks AND your placed blocks, so making gaps has no effect there.

Oooh, well that makes more sense then. My bad. Is this ever explained in game or what?

Oh boy custom puzzles! I daresay the overlords demand dongs.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

how me a frog posted:

Oooh, well that makes more sense then. My bad. Is this ever explained in game or what?

Oh boy custom puzzles! I daresay the overlords demand dongs.

I think you see the footprint counter tick up during the run

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I guess the reason why I dislike the footprint thing is that while it's an interesting engineering challenge, it's not a realistic one. Like you would get an engineer to make your automated factory as fast or cheap (=minimize machines used, few/no wasted input blocks) as possible, but saying listen I want you to use as little horizontal space as possible, but go as high as you like, seriously the sky is the limit is just very arbitrary and strange to me.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TheBlackVegetable posted:

I think you see the footprint counter tick up during the run

You can press P during the run too to see the footprint, and you'll see it expand as blocks go over areas.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

how me a frog posted:

I guess the reason why I dislike the footprint thing is that while it's an interesting engineering challenge, it's not a realistic one. Like you would get an engineer to make your automated factory as fast or cheap (=minimize machines used, few/no wasted input blocks) as possible, but saying listen I want you to use as little horizontal space as possible, but go as high as you like, seriously the sky is the limit is just very arbitrary and strange to me.

It's super fun though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also all it takes to make minimum parts interesting is having input pieces, conveyor belts, supports, and maybe conduits not count. Some early puzzles would be trivially easy but more complex parts would be interesting.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Another novelty, maybe a custom puzzle setting, would be having sensors not detect inputs. :unsmigghh:

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Control Volume posted:

Another novelty, maybe a custom puzzle setting, would be having sensors not detect inputs. :unsmigghh:

You monster. that would break...most of my solutions. I suprise myself when I build something efficient without sensors, especially later on.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Control Volume posted:

That would be trivial to bypass with the whole single support on a large circular conveyor studded with sensors thing. Most puzzles could seriously do with a version with severely restricted building space though.

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 30, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mitt Romney posted:

You can't have any blocks near the rotation and you can't push the rotating block off the rotator with a pusher. I'm not very good at the game though. Maybe I'm trying to use them wrong.

What was your solution for rotating the track blocks on "Terrestrial Surveyor" for example?

You just stick the rotator in the middle of some conveyor track. The first block comes along, rotates, then waits there. The second block comes along, pushes the first block off, and then rotates once it's clear.

Yes, it doesn't work at full input speed, but I'm pretty sure the lowest-cycles solution for that level doesn't involve rotating the individual input pieces anyway.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Goddamn I wish I had never joined the steam group. Otherwise, I would just have assumed that 27 tiles was the best you could do for munitions refill type 2. Now I'm going crazy.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

how me a frog posted:

That would be trivial to bypass with the whole single support on a large circular conveyor studded with sensors thing. Most puzzles could seriously do with a version with severely restricted building space though.

That's the idea, set up giant timing circuits for everything.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

how me a frog posted:

I think of the blocks less as human-scale machines that cost money to produce, and more as integrated-circuit-scale components that cost money to transform the substrate into, one column at a time.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

how me a frog posted:

I wouldn't mind having some kind of height restriction -- I think the idea of footprint fits the model of "we have so much square footage in the building, how many lines could we run side-by-side" which is a sane optimization to consider, and high ceilings are not that outlandish (though unlimited height is a bit silly).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
:negative:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I love this game for the moment when you spend an hour and end up with an absurd, over-engineered piece of poo poo that doesn't work. Then you delete the entire thing and realize you can just replace 80% of it with two pusher blocks and a sensor.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Just saw this:

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/561018271730655232/photo/1

Zachtronics posted:

Coming very soon to Infinifactory... automatic animated GIF creation!

Since a single .gif of this game made me want to buy it almost instantly, that's a pretty great feature.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Quinton posted:

I wouldn't mind having some kind of height restriction -- I think the idea of footprint fits the model of "we have so much square footage in the building, how many lines could we run side-by-side" which is a sane optimization to consider, and high ceilings are not that outlandish (though unlimited height is a bit silly).

You'll be glad to learn that there is already a limit on how high you can build, then.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Control Volume posted:

That's the idea, set up giant timing circuits for everything.

But that's already the easiest way to complete the more complex productions?

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

dis is amazing

Idiot
Dec 21, 2006
AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?
I realized how to make groups of blocks attach to a pusher without attaching to adjacent objects. Pushers just became way more useful to me.

Also just realized that the second pusher is completely unnecessary.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

/\ /\ /\ That is cool; kinda gives me a tank shell reload vibe /\ /\ /\

over-complicated it again... but fusers on pushers is still so fun to watch. Didn't notice until watching this gif that the lifted sensor would be blocking the path if it wasn't moved out of the way.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 30, 2015

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

Idiot posted:

I realized how to make groups of blocks attach to a pusher without attaching to adjacent objects. Pushers just became way more useful to me.

Also just realized that the second pusher is completely unnecessary.

What? How?

Idiot
Dec 21, 2006
AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?
^ Build them in the air and let them fall into position.

:wave:

Idiot fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 31, 2015

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Control Volume posted:

This is a bit back but to mention
After you beat the game, you get access to the steam workshop, the steam workshop lets you make puzzles and if you can solve them put them up. You can select which inputs you give, which outputs you give, and which blocks they can use. No you may not use sensors or normal blocks, only belts and welders and lifters. Good luck. http://i.imgur.com/gLYCrtd.jpg?1

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Phssthpok posted:

Optimizing cycles in this game isn't exactly like SpaceChem because you have a lot more parallelism at your disposal. You can get 91 cycles just by counting out 5 blocks and staggering their landing locations: http://gfycat.com/SilverEnchantedHuemul

I don't think you can input more than 5 blocks per 6 cycles on this level due to the orientation. But it's possible to optimize the travel time more than I have. Jabor got 88 cycles.

After seeing your solution to this I kind of (badly, probably) combined the two ideas, and well...

85 cycles. Still think there is some leeway here to go a touch faster.

First of all, I noticed the blocker-drop is 1 cycle faster per input set than pushers-onto-conveyor, so I cribbed that.

It's part state machine, part staggering at the end (and I think the staggering part I've still done pretty badly and could well be optimised yet further).

It pushes out 2 x 15 block lengths, the last 5 columns output 5 x 2 length engines and then triggers a sensor to drop another sensing circuit to output 1 x 10 lengths, which outputs the 10 3 length engines, rips the conveyors out of the first five columns (in two directions, no less, as it's the only way to do it quickly enough) to allow it to drop to the terrible staggerer below and activate another sensor dropped to output 2 x 5 lengths for the last 5 engines, which start outputting immediately after the first set of 5 arrive.

(Disclaimer: I think the only levels where you can get away with an approach like this for max cycles are the single-input forming into shapes because you can get every last cycle of input speed to count.)

What has this game done to me it is madness

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Heads up, the latest Infinifactory update made some undocumented changes to Production Zone 2 that might've broken some of your puzzles (particularly if you had parts close to the inputs), so you might wanna review them. In my case it screwed up my Shuttle Maintenance and Oversight Terminal Model 6 and it was annoying having to recall how it was supposed to work to fix it again.

Edit: On the bright side, shaved off some cycles. :) Here are their GIFs:

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 31, 2015

This is Not Alf XXX
Jul 12, 2004

Mitt Romney posted:

Totally can push single blocks off rotators. You just need a one cycle delay and space which are helpfully built into a double pusher.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That's totally broken if your single block comes out with no space between each one, or if it you have a backlog. It'll clog up. Like in small excavator.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

Bhodi posted:

That's totally broken if your single block comes out with no space between each one, or if it you have a backlog. It'll clog up. Like in small excavator.

You could make into two lines first using two conveyors ending in a stop block/sensor connected to two push blocks, pushing two and two blocks into two separate lines that then have space. Not saying it's a good solution, just that is possible.

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.

Olpainless posted:

This game is already doing terrible things to me.

Think I might have a close-to-max cycles on the shuttle propulsion unit level:

93 cycles with this. I followed the spacechem tournaments so I know that state machines are 9 out of 10 times the solution for speed.

(Need to set up one of those gif creators to show this in action...)

Hello from 85! :wave:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I never realized welders could work that way... :sigh:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
UPDATE: You can now press F10 to automatically make an optimized looping gif! Be sure to make everyone trying to read this thread on a mobile device hate you by posting lots of gifs instead of links!

http://imgur.com/vGfjs5x

The whole "looping" thing is a little bit off, and I was able to save 5% on the filesize by optimizing myself again, but hey, it's a step in the right direction.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

GuavaMoment posted:

Be sure to make everyone trying to read this thread on a mobile device hate you by posting lots of gifs instead of links!

You kiddin' me? I've been doing that since day 1, don't need to tell me twice.

Also yeah, I'm noticing a looping issue with this one since the blocks never actually rotate. I'm sure this'll get fixed eventually though so.

Edit: Oh right, When is the 'limit' to when we should stop posting gifs of answers for puzzles, I saw the 6-1 being posted earlier but no other ones from 6, is there any rules to it yet or is it just "meh who cares"

Met48
Mar 15, 2009
Looks like it records the time between first and second output; works great if you build one unit at a time:

Not as good for irregular output rates. I'm not sure how they should really solve that; it'd be great if the game could detect repeated states, though we'd still need gifs for factories which break after the 10th output.

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.

GuavaMoment posted:

Be sure to make everyone trying to read this thread on a mobile device hate you by posting lots of gifs instead of links!

Yes, you can make gifs! Check these out:

Also:

Forer posted:

Edit: Oh right, When is the 'limit' to when we should stop posting gifs of answers for puzzles, I saw the 6-1 being posted earlier but no other ones from 6, is there any rules to it yet or is it just "meh who cares"

I personally don't care too much since most new players aren't going to be able to retain all of these solutions. I guess you might withhold any gifs you don't want competition knowing about (Jabor! :argh:), but shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GuavaMoment posted:

UPDATE: You can now press F10 to automatically make an optimized looping gif! Be sure to make everyone trying to read this thread on a mobile device hate you by posting lots of gifs instead of links!

http://imgur.com/vGfjs5x

The whole "looping" thing is a little bit off, and I was able to save 5% on the filesize by optimizing myself again, but hey, it's a step in the right direction.

Looping seems to work pretty well.

• Locked thread