Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

evilweasel posted:

Someone fill up some footballs and leave them in the cold and then measure their pressure so we can get some data tia

couldn;t you just calculate it with the volume of a football

I, for one, fully support this investigation into the temperature needed to cause a collapse. Where are the balls Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i am not the first person to think of this: http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/deflategate-pats-under-investigation-for-potentially-deflating-footballs/

looks like normal temperature variations between testing at 70 and the temp outside accounts for about .7 psi of lost pressure, so you've got 1.3 psi to account for, you could probably fill the ball at 90 or 100f and rush the balls into the testing and get these results, i think, but assuming that the 2 psi is accurate there is no way routine temperature variations do this

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

evilweasel posted:

we don't actually know that anyone checked the colts balls, but I am more interested because i'm wondering if you can do this intentionally with temp variations in what you fill the balls with and what they become on the field because that's the only good way of intentionally rigging this i see

obviously if it comes out that it takes 20 degrees and that's it, i will start telling you duh they filled them inside and then they brought them outside and there's no evidence of anything naughty but i sort of doubt that at this point

They should just use nitrogen to fill the balls; less pressure reduction as the temperature lowers.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Doesn't MLB provide the baseballs? Why is that not the case for the NFL?

Teams are allowed to condition footballs to their liking.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/sports/football/eli-mannings-footballs-are-months-in-making.html?_r=0&

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i have decided that bill ordered the footballs filled at 100 degrees F, which is completely legal according to the rules and fully explains everything

go pats

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
QBs should try to rub sex lube on the football.

The pine tar of football.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Don't the TV networks and the NFL have tons of cameras absolutely everywhere, especially during a Championship game? I'm sure there are uninterrupted views of the sidelines. Literally pick the ball boy out and watch his every movement for the entire first half.

Start there you loving idiots.

Now where's my paycheck?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

QBs should try to rub sex lube on the football.

The pine tar of football.

im sure some naturally secrete it anyway

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think that, if the immediate reaction to your cheating is "Wait, what - that's a way you can cheat?", you should be allowed to get away with it. Under this provision, the first recorded usage of The Whizzinator and deer antler spray would have also been 100% above-board

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don't the TV networks and the NFL have tons of cameras absolutely everywhere, especially during a Championship game? I'm sure there are uninterrupted views of the sidelines. Literally pick the ball boy out and watch his every movement for the entire first half.

Start there you loving idiots.

Now where's my paycheck?
Rich Hill (@PP_Rich_Hill) tweeted at 1:19am - 21 Jan 15:

So I just watched the Patriots sideline from the start of the game through the pick. Ballboys weren't doing anything strange. (https://twitter.com/PP_Rich_Hill/status/557784455235248129?s=17)
l

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

evilweasel posted:

pressure for an enclosed volume/mass like a football should vary linearly with temperature (in kelvins and absolute pressure) so you only need two data points to plot the temperature delta you'd need to get these results through just temperature changes
note: to do this add 14.7 to the psi (atmosphere) and 459.7 to the degrees (difference between absolute zero and 0 degrees f, in f degrees)

Right, forgot about atmospheric pressure.

So lets do the math:

The adjusted PSI of the balls when the NFL tested them was 10.5+14.7 = 25.3 PSI at a temperature of 283° K (50° F). The balls need a pressure of 12.5+14.7=27.3 to pass inspection. Because P1/T1=P2/T2 (Gay-Lussac's law), we get 25.3/283=27.3/x, solve for x gives us 27.3/25.3*283=305.37 °K or 90°F.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Why is this a thing

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

nooneofconsequence posted:

Rich Hill (@PP_Rich_Hill) tweeted at 1:19am - 21 Jan 15:

So I just watched the Patriots sideline from the start of the game through the pick. Ballboys weren't doing anything strange. (https://twitter.com/PP_Rich_Hill/status/557784455235248129?s=17)
l

How'd he have access to that footage?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Mister Fister posted:

Belichick gave him his secret tapes.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

True and Real posted:

Why is this a thing

Because the world is good.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Patriots coach was filming it from the stands

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Of course the ball boys would appear to be doing nothing weird since the geodesic prism they were using to deflate the balls magically bends light to render it invisible to the naked eye....

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Assuming this poo poo is all real, how the hell do you exactly punish the Patriots? To me, it's like football's equivalent of corking a bat. Has an effect, but you can't really tell what it does.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

seiferguy posted:

Assuming this poo poo is all real, how the hell do you exactly punish the Patriots? To me, it's like football's equivalent of corking a bat. Has an effect, but you can't really tell what it does.

Probably fines and take away draft picks

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

seiferguy posted:

First you have to proof that they did it. Just having deflated balls is not enough for that as the balls were stamped "ok" by the refs. Unless they find literally a tape of a ballboy or player deflating the balls they can do poo poo about it.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

nooneofconsequence posted:

Belichick gave him his secret tapes.

Its a looped tape of the ballboys acting normal like keanu reeves

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

seiferguy posted:

Give the Seahawks Gronk. There is a strip club like a block away from Century Link so he'll never leave Seattle.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

seiferguy posted:

It's obvious what it does--when it's raining and the ball is wet a deflated ball is much easier to grip

It seems like there's definitely something going on here but come on, the NFL is going to pin it on some random Patriots intern and dock them a couple draft picks, announce loudly that Belichick and Kraft had nothing to do with it, and move on

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 21, 2015

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Fines, Draft Picks and if it is some how proven that the team knew about it (It won't) a year suspension for Belichick.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Billy Five-Aces strikes again. This is why I enjoy the Patriots, outside of Brady.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
get ready for phil simms to say "what a deflating loss for the patriots" if/when they lose The Big Game
"

some old hussy
Dec 6, 2005

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on. Stop trying to hit me and hit me.

Eric the Mauve posted:

announce loudly that Belichick and Kraft had nothing to do with it

Ignorance is not an excuse.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

some old hussy posted:

Ignorance is not an excuse.

What's funny is Goodell's press release will probably quote that verbatim in explaining why he's docking draft picks even though he insists Belichick had nothing to do with it

Having to publicly announce that the coach of the newly crowned world champions--or hell, even just the AFC champions--was found to have cheated in the AFC Championship would be pretty horrible for the NFL PR department. They'd never admit it even if that were actually what happened

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
the nfl has not seen the video of the alleged ball tampering. two week suspension incoming for belichick

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Does anyone have a source for the temperature in Foxboro, Mass at the end of the game. We know that it started at 51° F but it's reasonable to assume that it dropped a bit as the night went on?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guys we need Belichick to be suspended because it means Josh McDaniels interim head coach of the New England Patriots

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

GaussianCopula posted:

Does anyone have a source for the temperature in Foxboro, Mass at the end of the game. We know that it started at 51° F but it's reasonable to assume that it dropped a bit as the night went on?

COnsidering that as far as we know, none of the Colt's balls were seen to be having problems, the weather probably isn't the factor

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Anaranjado posted:

get ready for phil simms to say "what a deflating loss for the patriots" if/when they lose The Big Game
"

If Belichick is suspended it will really neuter the Pats. :tipshat:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm certain if Belichick is suspended he will respect the league's decision and not find a way to be involved in the team's day to day planning and activities and the gameday decision making

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
This is pretty absurd on its face but considering how competitive the NFL is I bet a quarterback can take advantage of a 2psi difference in a ball.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 21, 2015

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Anaranjado posted:

"

This would be quite difficult to get ready for since the Super Bowl is gonna be on NBC.

I mean, someone could be standing by Phil Simms with a microphone to receive his own personal input but fuuuuuuuuuck listening to Phil Simms any more than necessary.

...I just deflated the entire point of the joke, didn't I? My apologies.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

oh my god this whole thing is so incredibly retarded, and at the same time i'm shocked-shocked-that the NFL hasn't figured out they could brand pre-treated footballs as PEYTON MANNING (c) APPROVED NFL "GAME DAY gently caress FACE" BALL

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Intruder posted:

I'm certain if Belichick is suspended he will respect the league's decision and not find a way to be involved in the team's day to day planning and activities and the gameday decision making

I'm sure there's some intern who would be willing to let Bill wear his skin as a disguise for a game

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best part about this whole thing is that no matter what ineffective and useless measure Goodell comes up with to punish the Pats, this whole Belichick era is unavoidably tainted. You can yell, scream and cry or reasonably construct a defense as to why none of the cheating mattered, but the "What if" is now too big to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Bishop posted:

This is pretty absurd on its face but considering how competitive the NFL is I bet a quarterback can tell a 2psi difference in a ball.

Think about it, its like this in any competitive activity. Especially one in which special equipment/conditions can be customized to a specific person/team's liking. If you were a target shooter or an archer by trade. Wouldn't you want you gun or bow to customized your liking? Are you going to use some random persons gun/bow in a shooting competition? No, you are going to use your gun/bow that you shoot all the time that is customized and fitted specifically to you. Same thing with pool? Are you going to use your cue that you use all the time or would you use a random cue in a big competition? Same logic applies to this situation. If you throw footballs everyday. I'm sure you will find an optimal pressure and brushing that you like. Especially in certain climate conditions.

The problem here is that these footballs weren't in the regulation limits of the NFL rules. It's something im sure Tom Brady knew was against the rules. Even if there were no scientific basis for the competitive advantage that a lower PSI ball helps grip (there is) it still is against the rules. They just got caught on that fine line of straddling the line and crossing it. This time they tip toed a bit to far. They broke the rules and as Tom said last week to Harbaugh, "Study the rule book". Maybe Tom studied it to well and knows that the punishment won't really be a punishment.

Im sure every team/QB in this league has game balls fixed to their liking. As long as they are within the rules of the game that is fine. If there was not a rule specifically addressing PSI ranges then I would be fine with this. I would consider this a smart way to gain a competitive edge, even if it was only a mental edge. However, since it broke the rules and as a result any team that is abiding by the rules cannot use this tactic then it is cheating. If a DB noticed it instantly, there is no question that Tom Brady and his center wouldn't have noticed it. Maybe alot of teams switch to different PSI balls under certain conditions. Maybe it contributed a fraction of a percent to their win probability. Enough small edges and you suddenly have a large edge. Remember, Vegas was built on very small percentages. The result doesn't matter. Because when you committed the act you didn't know the result.

pkay fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 21, 2015

• Locked thread