Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly we should be considering the very real possibility the NFL has been helping the Patriots cheat in order to undermine the Seahawks legitimate success.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Elephanthead posted:

Temperature does not effect mass. That is why they weight and pressure test them. Anyway look for NFL provided footballs for the playoffs from now on. Cheating still accepted to beat the the Bill, Jets, and Dolphins, heh.

hey pal we've been splitting lately

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Rodgers likes big balls. :gay:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

Temperature does not effect mass. That is why they weight and pressure test them. Anyway look for NFL provided footballs for the playoffs from now on. Cheating still accepted to beat the the Bill, Jets, and Dolphins, heh.

Yes but you can't measure the weight once the balls have been exposed to the rain because the retained water fucks with the weight.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Plus there are members of the Ravens who are saying that their kicking balls--which iirc are provided by the home team--were flatter than usual. This is only going to get more hilarious.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The weight wasn't the issue, but the pressure was.

Also the Ravens have proven themselves to be whiny diaper babies, why would you listen to them? I'm more inclined to listen to Graham Gano than someone who actively bleats about offensive formations that are 100% legal.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

WugLyfe posted:

The weight wasn't the issue, but the pressure was.

Also the Ravens have proven themselves to be whiny diaper babies, why would you listen to them? I'm more inclined to listen to Graham Gano than someone who actively bleats about offensive formations that are 100% legal.

Hey when its your credibility vs the patriots, you dont have to be all that credible.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TubeStank posted:

Plus there are members of the Ravens who are saying that their kicking balls--which iirc are provided by the home team--were flatter than usual. This is only going to get more hilarious.

The kicking balls are directly shipped to the refs, inspected by the refs and stay in control of the refs during the whole game. There is literally no chance for the Patriots to temper with them, unless they paid of the refs.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Good morning everyone, I just want to say I love Bill Belichick and wish he were my dad.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Your sarcasm underlies a deep insecurity with regards to the truth of my words

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Mister Fister posted:

Good morning everyone, I just want to say I love Bill Belichick and wish he were my dad.

I wish your dad was Tony Dungy

Someone tell me how I can spin deflated balls into the fact that Blount ran all over our defense.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Remember that time Brady told the Ravens to study the rule book? That was fun.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Athanatos posted:

I wish your dad was Joe Philbin

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Athanatos posted:

I wish your dad was Tony Dungy

:drat:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bill Belichick will get into his sport's HOF before Barry Bonds gets into his, and that's all the proof you need to know this is a cruel world we're in

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ozu posted:

Remember that time Brady told the Ravens to study the rule book? That was fun.

You have to read it to find the loopholes you can exploit. That's just smart.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Pete Rose

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

evilweasel posted:

The measuring appears to have taken place at halftime.

Wait so if the issue was caught and presumably fixed before the start of the third quarter, than the patriots scored more points with legit balls?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Wait so if the issue was caught and presumably fixed before the start of the third quarter, than the patriots scored more points with legit balls?

Apparently they didn't actually DO anything to the footballs, they just noted they were deflated and contacted someone about it? I don't know. I haven't heard anything about them being fixed after the fact.

e: VVV :laffo:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 21, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What is truly disturbing is the complicity in the Patriots fanbase.

We keep hearing about the moderate Patriots fans who do not condone the cheating, who say that the Patriots are "a franchise of fairness" and yet everytime something like this happens they remain silent. Until the moderate Patriots fans vocally condemn and fight the extremism within their own ranks we must be forced to conclude they silently condone these heinous crimes.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

GaussianCopula posted:

The kicking balls are directly shipped to the refs, inspected by the refs and stay in control of the refs during the whole game. There is literally no chance for the Patriots to temper with them, unless they paid of the refs.

Oh man that just makes the Ravens claims funnier

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

so what you are saying is the Patriots paid off the refs

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is truly disturbing is the complicity in the Patriots fanbase.

We keep hearing about the moderate Patriots fans who do not condone the cheating, who say that the Patriots are "a franchise of fairness" and yet everytime something like this happens they remain silent. Until the moderate Patriots fans vocally condemn and fight the extremism within their own ranks we must be forced to conclude they silently condone these heinous crimes.

hahahaha

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fenrir posted:

Apparently they didn't actually DO anything to the footballs, they just noted they were deflated and contacted someone about it? I don't know. I haven't heard anything about them being fixed after the fact.

The rules say they would then go to the alternates (which I assume they tested, because the patriots handing them a new sack of 12 balls when the first sack had 11 ones with too low pressure) or to Indy's balls once they determined that the original patriots balls no longer were game-legal. I think the Pats scored more with the "good" balls but I haven't found anything that definitively states they fixed the issue at halftime. I don't believe they would have been allowed to inflate the underinflated balls.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Nobody's saying this helped them win. Doesn't mean it wasn't still against the rules and cheating.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What is funny is it is too late to do anything now that the main stream media has concluded 11 balls we deflated. Who only had one ball? Or does Gronk have 3?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

I haven't found anything that definitively states they fixed the issue at halftime.

That's what I was looking for but I found absolutely nothing. The way it's being presented, it seems like they kept using the deflated ones? I'm not sure.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

The rules say they would then go to the alternates (which I assume they tested, because the patriots handing them a new sack of 12 balls when the first sack had 11 ones with too low pressure) or to Indy's balls once they determined that the original patriots balls no longer were game-legal. I think the Pats scored more with the "good" balls but I haven't found anything that definitively states they fixed the issue at halftime. I don't believe they would have been allowed to inflate the underinflated balls.

The home team has to provide the refs with a pump, for exactly this case. But fun fact: The rulebook does not clarify what kind of gas you have to use to fill the ball. Some MIT stundent might have helped Bill out with the perfect gas to self-deflate once the game begins and it would probably be legal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sean10mm posted:

How do you prove *intent* with this, though? A general feeling that Belichick gives no fucks doesn't count. Is someone going to narc on him?

They didn't prove intent when they suspended Sean Payton for a year. That plus multiple high draft picks should be the bare minimum.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

They didn't prove intent when they suspended Sean Payton for a year. That plus multiple high draft picks should be the bare minimum.

Paying people money seldom happens without intent.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It was a bounty program, it couldn't have "just happened". However here there are multiple ways that you could wind up with these balls underinflated without any patriots malfeasance (though at this point like I said before if I had to bet I'd bet on something intentional having happened) so intent does actually matter.

ComfortablyNumb
Nov 7, 2008

This is not how I am.

mcmagic posted:

Are you saying the NFL should suspend Bill Belichick for a year over this? I thought it was a $25k fine? How did we go from that to a year long suspension? Also, isn't the "investigation" still in progress?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

GaussianCopula posted:

The home team has to provide the refs with a pump, for exactly this case. But fun fact: The rulebook does not clarify what kind of gas you have to use to fill the ball. Some MIT stundent might have helped Bill out with the perfect gas to self-deflate once the game begins and it would probably be legal.

You know, I never thought of that - also, they don't WEIGH the balls, they only measure the PSI, so this would work. You wouldn't be able to tell what the balls were filled with just by measuring the pressure.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ComfortablyNumb posted:

Are you saying the NFL should suspend Bill Belichick for a year over this? I thought it was a $25k fine? How did we go from that to a year long suspension? Also, isn't the "investigation" still in progress?

It's a minimum 25k fine though they can impose additional sanctions. I think that even if they did it, equating underinflated balls to a program to injure opposing players and calling for the same punishment is a bit...extreme.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ComfortablyNumb posted:

It should be more than a year since he's a multiple offender and Payton wasn't but that should be the bare minimum. This is an integrity of the game issue unlike the bountys. There is no reason to believe that things like this haven't been going on for years.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ComfortablyNumb posted:

This is the NFL where they can make up any punishment they want.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fenrir posted:

You know, I never thought of that - also, they don't WEIGH the balls, they only measure the PSI, so this would work. You wouldn't be able to tell what the balls were filled with just by measuring the pressure.

They do weigh the balls, need to be 14-15 ounces. Don't know how much the weight of gas varies though. I don't think that would work though (using gas that will escape) - if they're down 2psi by halftime the things are going to be visibly limp by the end of the game.

ComfortablyNumb
Nov 7, 2008

This is not how I am.

mcmagic posted:

It should be more than a year since he's a multiple offender and Payton wasn't but that should be the bare minimum.

Oh I get it, you're trolling. My bad, carry on.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ComfortablyNumb posted:

Oh I get it, you're trolling. My bad, carry on.

McMagic is 100% seriousposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

IMHO, Belichick should be given a crown, and a crimson spear. It would look super cool.

• Locked thread