Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
they really were just the reaction of an oppressed and invaded white christendom against the swarthy hordes of saracens and their mohamedism

the crusades were a reaction to saracen colonialism

really makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

Well that's my story.
also there was that crusade where children joined up and all got sold into slavery lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im pretty sure bohemund and all those norman dudes didnt really give a poo poo about all that stuff and were just thinking "cool, i can get my own kingdom out of this"

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

i liked the crusade where they got distracted on their way to the middle east and accidentally curbstomped constantinople

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Lets answer the call of eastern Christianity by sacking its once-impenetrable citadel

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

de_dust posted:

also there was that crusade where children joined up and all got sold into slavery lol

If only they kept the same practice nowadays with the kids that go to those religious summer camps.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

Well that's my story.

paranoid randroid posted:

im pretty sure bohemund and all those norman dudes didnt really give a poo poo about all that stuff and were just thinking "cool, i can get my own kingdom out of this"

well yeah, do you think modern anti-colonialists really give a poo poo? they all tend to end up in nice mansions with nature preserves

i can respect that

for the same reason i can respect a crusader slicing through a bahometten pillager
its just bad rear end

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

i mean did any dudes from spain participate in the crusades

they were kinda at ground zero of islamic poo poo

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
Pretty sure the fact Spain exists means yes.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

Well that's my story.
the reconquista the definition of a anti-colonialist insurgency

people are still mad about it too lol

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

de_dust posted:

the reconquista the definition of a anti-colonialist insurgency

yes but this was not the papal "lets go over to jerusalem and gently caress poo poo up" crusade rihgt

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

rather the christian iberians rising up

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im just saiyan if youre going to go around claiming to be striking a blow for christendom you should probably not renege on your solemn oath before god and the Roman Emperor Himself to return the lands rightfully belonging to Constantinople

makes you look like kind of an opportunist dick

mind u, cut a norman in half and u probably find "opportunist dick" written inside

red state bait
Dec 9, 2006

:gas:

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

Well that's my story.

bensnotacat posted:

yes but this was not the papal "lets go over to jerusalem and gently caress poo poo up" crusade rihgt

yes, but if you talk to a middle east history major they get really mad about it. because like the architecture man and i guess they treat jews nice. once

paranoid randroid posted:

im just saiyan if youre going to go around claiming to be striking a blow for christendom you should probably not renege on your solemn oath before god and the Roman Emperor Himself to return the lands rightfully belonging to Constantinople

makes you look like kind of an opportunist dick

they were in the way and venice wanted their lumber

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The best part was when both the Christians and Muslims got rear end hosed by Mongols later on.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Christendom sounds so Dutch

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
The worst part was they did damage to your own party when you summoned them.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i can forgive the venetians for the sack of constantinople because it was extremely metal. 95-year old blind man leading an amphibious assault on the walls :black101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

XMNN posted:

i can forgive the venetians for the sack of constantinople because it was extremely metal. 95-year old blind man leading an amphibious assault on the walls :black101:

If they had kept their word instead of being greedy fucks we might still have a Roman Empire today :hist101:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

bensnotacat posted:

rather the christian iberians rising up

yes "rising up" in the same way that the moors "rose up" and conquered most of the peninsula earlier

it was just a nother big long war

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

trigger warning: normans

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
How would u guys prove ur faith

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

XMNN posted:

I do not

venizia delenda est

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

can someone make a response to this with a guy with a huge mustache and plaited hair talking about the romans?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
yes those evil colonialist muslims savagely conquered the ancient spanish lands from the rightful owners the gothic speaking german visigoths from germany

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
my favorite crusade is the one that sent all those kids into slavery

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i wonder if racists just sort of block out the crusades because it was the one time in history where brown people were better off than white people in every way, shape, and form.

in the year 1100, a fat turkish man gets drunk a massive nicotine buzz and starts ranting about how those lazy europeans keep trying to take proper seljuk jobs and how they need to build a wall to keep the foreigners out

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

dont pillage the heart of romanitas if u dont want to be remembered as a total oval office

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
My favorite thing about history is when gays try to say that every historically important person was gay or bi or some made up bullshit so then normal people will go hmm, maybe they aren't all pedophiles and mental cases

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
:razz:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
all people are assholes thats why history is basically 90% assholes killing other assholes for no good reason

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ramsus posted:

My favorite thing about history is when gays try to say that every historically important person was gay or bi or some made up bullshit so then normal people will go hmm, maybe they aren't all pedophiles and mental cases

this was an important post and you are clearly repressing some homosexual feelings

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
FYI the crusaders were fully justified as inheritors of the roman legacy who were merely regaining roman territories annexed by desert savages. Israel today as another roman inheritor and has much more of a right to the land than the non-roman palestinians. You see, Mars God of War gave the Romans and by extension western civilization their mission and destiny, which is complete dominion over the earth.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

de_dust posted:

reminder that eastern europe is still butthurt from the mongol invasions since the only people left afterwards were the ones that hid, thus making everyone descendants of bitchmade fuckers

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i wanna play a game called "GBS or /pol/" where I pull random quotes and people guess where they came from

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

RideTheSpiral posted:

yes those evil colonialist muslims savagely conquered the ancient spanish lands from the rightful owners the gothic speaking german visigoths from germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Spanish Manlove posted:

i wanna play a game called "GBS or /pol/" where I pull random quotes and people guess where they came from

that actually sounds like fun, though?

• Locked thread